Galway Forum

"Football Support Movement"

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Toman:  "We are the people to change this I agree. But we need to get to the root problem ie there was a fantastic crowd in Tuam because word was out that the galway u20 were playing a brand of attacking open football. Now the same has to be said for mayo u20 on the same day. If I'm honest I'm a passionate Galway supporter be it uage senior or ladies and I was so proud coming ou of Tuam with the type of youth coming through the ranks. But the style of football our senior lads play will NOT do anything to stem the decline in support"
I think the style of football should be irrelevant to true supporters. You either have pride in your county team or you don't. Promoting patriotism somehow must be the answer. I think that's missing on the pitch as well as around the stands however

Mickhiggins (Galway) - Posts: 25 - 11/08/2019 22:41:38    2224337

Link

I seen the lads at the races. No none would support them if you seen what they were wearing. Thought it was the Galway ladies team for a while

dapoormansson (Galway) - Posts: 24 - 12/08/2019 09:33:25    2224455

Link

Replying To Mickhiggins:  "I think the style of football should be irrelevant to true supporters. You either have pride in your county team or you don't. Promoting patriotism somehow must be the answer. I think that's missing on the pitch as well as around the stands however"
My personal opinion is the style of football tell EVERYTHING about the team from management to players. Its also fact (even though a lot of us inc myself might not admit it) the correct style of defensive and attacking football brings out support. To say a true supporter will support no matter what brand of football is an aged statesman. If you look at any minor or u20 team be it club or country, everyone of them wants to play attacking football with good defensive displays in between. Also there are a few people jumping on bandwagon saying u20 football didn't play a nice brand of football because they got bet to a very good Dublin side. They got one match up wrong and fixed it and gave a terrific account of themselves even though they were always chasing the game from then on.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 109 - 12/08/2019 22:26:54    2224940

Link

Presumably the football support movements success and the Kevin Walsh's future are intrinsically linked.

WunderBar (Galway) - Posts: 228 - 13/08/2019 09:26:24    2225019

Link

Replying To Toman:  "My personal opinion is the style of football tell EVERYTHING about the team from management to players. Its also fact (even though a lot of us inc myself might not admit it) the correct style of defensive and attacking football brings out support. To say a true supporter will support no matter what brand of football is an aged statesman. If you look at any minor or u20 team be it club or country, everyone of them wants to play attacking football with good defensive displays in between. Also there are a few people jumping on bandwagon saying u20 football didn't play a nice brand of football because they got bet to a very good Dublin side. They got one match up wrong and fixed it and gave a terrific account of themselves even though they were always chasing the game from then on."
As I've said before the style of football under Mulholland(Minor 2007 and U21 2011) was sone of the best football ever played at those grades. Now bear in mind Mulholland was managing the seniors when Donegal were successful 2012-2014, different styles but different levels of success and that's being kind.

johnterry (Galway) - Posts: 286 - 13/08/2019 09:31:03    2225020

Link

Replying To johnterry:  "As I've said before the style of football under Mulholland(Minor 2007 and U21 2011) was sone of the best football ever played at those grades. Now bear in mind Mulholland was managing the seniors when Donegal were successful 2012-2014, different styles but different levels of success and that's being kind."
I see your point. What I would say though is that Donegal in that period a bit like Tyrone in 2003 morphed into something much greater and more effective than their 'debut' year I.e 2011 in Donegal's case. Also like all successful teams they had at least two brillant forwards. Alan Mull was somewhat unlucky in that KW undoubtedly has a better player set to choose from. This forum was in overdrive when Mull came first but quickly turned (hard to disagree with given results and our status at the time) but he did try and play an offensive game. KW has definitely brought us on but he has not kicked on and the system looks tired. Assuming he is staying it is last chance saloon.

kiloughter (Galway) - Posts: 1636 - 13/08/2019 12:21:49    2225084

Link

Replying To kiloughter:  "I see your point. What I would say though is that Donegal in that period a bit like Tyrone in 2003 morphed into something much greater and more effective than their 'debut' year I.e 2011 in Donegal's case. Also like all successful teams they had at least two brillant forwards. Alan Mull was somewhat unlucky in that KW undoubtedly has a better player set to choose from. This forum was in overdrive when Mull came first but quickly turned (hard to disagree with given results and our status at the time) but he did try and play an offensive game. KW has definitely brought us on but he has not kicked on and the system looks tired. Assuming he is staying it is last chance saloon."
But to be fair to mullholland he didn't have the players then. Also the uage that has come through Connacht in the past few years is of a way higher standard than it was in mullholland time ie u21 two yrs ago. U20 and minor this year and last year. That said we don't see the return of this in County senior set up.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 109 - 13/08/2019 15:38:13    2225160

Link

Isn't it our turn to go to New York in the Connacht Championship next year?
This thread is about building support. Support comes from many places and none better than Mayo to generate the necessary PR and hype, tapping into the support / fundraising power in our Irish community in US GAA circles.
We have a brilliant diaspora of Galway men and women over there who do a lot of hard work behind the scenes to support Galway. If we're going to continue to benefit from that generosity and support, then KW, the new backroom and the lads themselves need to give them something to be proud of and backable. I'm sure they'd like to see us play a bit more positive, attacking football in next seasons FBD and League than the stuff we've been playing recently in the championship. To show we're progressing definitely helps when it comes to fundraising! (Transparency in fundraising helps too and, credit to them, I'm sure Mike Burke and Mark Gottsche will have every i dotted and t crossed on that front.)

togoutlads (Galway) - Posts: 102 - 14/08/2019 11:09:36    2225451

Link