Galway Forum

Galway V Mayo

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To johnjoe21:  "Difference is that both their own supporters and the media will still wax lyrical about them (heroes, warriors etc) whereas our lads and management get slaughtered both inside and outside the county. Go figure."
Mayo lost three games in the championship, got hockeyed twice, still relying on 7 plus players over thirty, and the James Horan initial rebound comeback is over, he was out thought again yesterday and left his defensive unit wide open. We had the same injuries all year as them so we are both back at the same stage.. A well needed rest for both camps needed.

Belclare (Galway) - Posts: 391 - 11/08/2019 20:33:25    2224266

Link

Replying To Belclare:  "Mayo lost three games in the championship, got hockeyed twice, still relying on 7 plus players over thirty, and the James Horan initial rebound comeback is over, he was out thought again yesterday and left his defensive unit wide open. We had the same injuries all year as them so we are both back at the same stage.. A well needed rest for both camps needed."
Fair comment BC. I'm assuming at this stage that KW is staying on; if there was any sort of statement given, I must have missed it. He'll be under some serious pressure next year if he does.

festinog (Galway) - Posts: 2741 - 11/08/2019 20:45:03    2224276

Link

Replying To festinog:  "Fair comment BC. I'm assuming at this stage that KW is staying on; if there was any sort of statement given, I must have missed it. He'll be under some serious pressure next year if he does."
Yes he is staying, a few changes in the background..
In fairness there is no one else ready or available..

Belclare (Galway) - Posts: 391 - 12/08/2019 12:06:33    2224566

Link

Replying To johnterry:  "Ya great lads but a bit like their 96/97 team. Not just good enough, 1 more forward would have done the trick in the last few years I reckon."
Mayo '96 were good enough, by common consent, but seemed to have the mental handbrake problem. If you watch the 1996 draw and replay again, you might find it difficult to conclude that Mayo were 'not just good enough'.

With Dublin's level these days, there can't even be much room for rational regret in losing teams & their supporters, such is the inevitability about being 'not just good enough'. This issue is not just Mayo's problem of course. It's a nationwide problem, as Kerry are likely to find out in the upcoming final.

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - Posts: 2292 - 14/08/2019 12:34:21    2225502

Link

Replying To Belclare:  "Yes he is staying, a few changes in the background..
In fairness there is no one else ready or available.."
Think you have hit the nail on the head there Beiclare -County Board have no money to spend(especially on football)so an outside manager is extremely unlikely(and I hear Rochford says he wants to stay in Donegal). Looking within and leaving out PJ on basis he needs more experience,there is no one that springs to mind internally that is capable of taking on the job .There are the same old faces who have been involved before whose name may be thrown out there but no new faces. Jack O'Connor would have been a lovely signing but it probably wasn't know he was available and he has strong connection with Moorefield.

fairplay4ever (Galway) - Posts: 325 - 14/08/2019 12:59:40    2225523

Link

Replying To fairplay4ever:  "Think you have hit the nail on the head there Beiclare -County Board have no money to spend(especially on football)so an outside manager is extremely unlikely(and I hear Rochford says he wants to stay in Donegal). Looking within and leaving out PJ on basis he needs more experience,there is no one that springs to mind internally that is capable of taking on the job .There are the same old faces who have been involved before whose name may be thrown out there but no new faces. Jack O'Connor would have been a lovely signing but it probably wasn't know he was available and he has strong connection with Moorefield."
I have herd same, that County board have no money. How is this happening, how come every other Country has money to invest. Croke park are reluctant to give money to Galway county board now. Why is this? Why is it kept quiet. All this need to brought out into open and if neccessarily heads should roll. We need to get the investment back into our clubs and Country and the sooner the better.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 98 - 15/08/2019 09:55:54    2225914

Link

It's hardly been kept quiet that the county board have no money?

Charlie (Kerry) - Posts: 433 - 15/08/2019 16:38:16    2226073

Link

Replying To Charlie:  "It's hardly been kept quiet that the county board have no money?"
Hurlers don't see to having issues money wise, they've got a backroom team which doesn't come cheap.

JDF (Galway) - Posts: 318 - 15/08/2019 16:44:53    2226081

Link

Replying To Charlie:  "It's hardly been kept quiet that the county board have no money?"
Co board have no money because of mountain south. Its the clubs I feel sorry for with the co board inflicting levies on them to keep the county teams going. Ladies co board doing the same thing.

jj19 (Galway) - Posts: 429 - 15/08/2019 17:51:12    2226116

Link

How busy is John o Mahoney these days?

Mickhiggins (Galway) - Posts: 25 - 15/08/2019 20:59:56    2226169

Link

Replying To Toman:  "I have herd same, that County board have no money. How is this happening, how come every other Country has money to invest. Croke park are reluctant to give money to Galway county board now. Why is this? Why is it kept quiet. All this need to brought out into open and if neccessarily heads should roll. We need to get the investment back into our clubs and Country and the sooner the better."
With the deep clean of the county board and some policy changes Galway Gaa finances are much improved. Healthy balance sheet will be shown at the AGM and that's from the main man himself.

SamandLiamSoon (Galway) - Posts: 432 - 15/08/2019 21:30:15    2226183

Link