Galway Forum

Galway Minor Footballers 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Really:  "Galway were more "advanced" in terms of defensive system. Cork relied on their pure footballing skills and could have paid a heavy cost...

Great to see a truly footballing genius like Corbett having his day. Eventually, when it came down to talent Cork were superior.

Please stop talking about ref. There were 3 occasions of "double hop" he didn't pick up on - Specsavers looms.. You couldn't say he favoured either team.."
I've no idea what game you were watching and thankfully you're on your own.

Galway had the better footballers whilst Cork had the bigger, stronger and more athletic team. Did you see the damage Grainger, Cox & Culhane did when they got the ball, all 3 of them marked by a much more physically developed opponent yet caused the world of damage.

JDF (Galway) - Posts: 318 - 01/09/2019 21:24:27    2231540

Link

We can't be far off having a serious pool of talent coming through, if we manage them right. We've lost 3 minor football finals in 4 years - 2016, 18 and 19. Yes, it'd be nice to be winning them but if we can just harness that talent and hunger that's there, then there's plenty of lads that have the ability to go on and win an AI at a higher level.

togoutlads (Galway) - Posts: 102 - 01/09/2019 23:12:34    2231613

Link

Replying To galwayfball:  "This is a forum for the galway minor footballers .

Not dunmore or tuam teams of yesteryear . Please start a new thread if you'd like to discuss them you'll probably find no one cares.

Well done galway . A great set of young lads"
Outstanding response. Even when we're talking about the future, some are still rooted in the past.

FallenStar (Galway) - Posts: 222 - 01/09/2019 23:39:01    2231623

Link

That was a great minor championship this year so many great games
what struck me about cork in last few games was how strong their bench was
and it showed in final their subs made a huge impact once again
their u20 and minor teams are as good as ive seen in a long time
they surely will get a good team out of all this talent
thanks and well done to the galway lads you gave us a great year
Joyce divilly and co will have some talent to work with at u20
looking forward to seeing them develop in the next few years

rhudson (Galway) - Posts: 1023 - 02/09/2019 02:18:43    2231652

Link

We have been saying for a lifetime, "if we can just harness the talent at underage we would have a serious panel...etc... etc..."
Nobody ever comes up with HOW?
At the age group of 21-25 the vast majority of the talent won't want the ties that are involved with inter county football. traveling, girlfriends, social scene, college, work are a huge draw on their time, and rightly so.
HOW can we make all this still possible while holding them to play ball?

Mickhiggins (Galway) - Posts: 25 - 02/09/2019 09:42:17    2231724

Link

Replying To JDF:  "I've no idea what game you were watching and thankfully you're on your own.

Galway had the better footballers whilst Cork had the bigger, stronger and more athletic team. Did you see the damage Grainger, Cox & Culhane did when they got the ball, all 3 of them marked by a much more physically developed opponent yet caused the world of damage."
Fully agree. Galway played far the better football in normal time. I don't know the lads name no 24 but what a fantastic goal. Anyone with a drop of Galway blood in them had the hair standing on their heads. A joy to watch. I'm not trying to advocate sinical play but if ever there was a time to take one for the team it was when the cork lad was bursting in on goal in final minute. Those are the small margins. The lads will learn from this and hopefully they continue to get the right coaching. This team will be back at u20

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 104 - 02/09/2019 09:55:06    2231727

Link

Replying To Marooned:  "Utter codswallop."
I don't think so. I think 'Really' is really on to something there. Our 'system' was why we 'outplayed' Cork in the first half. It was nothing to do with having superior players, which is possibly why we didn't win in the end. No shame in that. Outstanding performance from the Galway lads.

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - Posts: 2292 - 02/09/2019 10:08:20    2231733

Link

Replying To Mickhiggins:  "We have been saying for a lifetime, "if we can just harness the talent at underage we would have a serious panel...etc... etc..."
At the age group of 21-25 the vast majority of the talent won't want the ties that are involved with inter county football. traveling, girlfriends, social scene, college, work are a huge draw on their time, and rightly so.
HOW can we make all this still possible while holding them to play ball?"
Great point. But this Is the same for every Country.You will never get a full squad of minor or u20 players to stick together until senior. Even this Cork team luck as they were yesterday won't all be playing senior football in 4 or 5 years time. Now when i say lucky as they were I don't want to sound like a poor loser, we were far superior in normal time, Cork far superior in extra time. What I would have loved to see is this minor final going to a replay. What a curtain raiser it would have been for Galway v Dublin ladies final. If we have at least 6 of those minors from yesterday and 6 of the u21 team of 2 years ago it's a huge plus. Now with the current senior management in place I personally don't think this will happen.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 104 - 02/09/2019 11:18:23    2231770

Link

Replying To Pope_Benedict:  "I don't think so. I think 'Really' is really on to something there. Our 'system' was why we 'outplayed' Cork in the first half. It was nothing to do with having superior players, which is possibly why we didn't win in the end. No shame in that. Outstanding performance from the Galway lads."
They were the better side for most of the 60 minutes. The were in front for the vast majority of normal time. Created two good goal chances that the Cork keeper saved just before Cork got their first goal. Culhane could easily have had a penalty as well on another day. All against a physically much bigger side that was well on top in midfield.

Their biggest regret will be after defending so well during the game they left themselves so open at the back for the last attack of the game. To only have 2 players back in the full back line was madness. The entire Galway team should have been back inside their own 45 immediately after they scored the goal to put them 3 up. Even after the Cork goal, Galway engineered a free to win the game. Unfortunately Culhane missed it but no shame on Culhane. He had an excellent game and it was not an easy free.

Bu again these are very young lads and it's hard to be too critical of them. I'm sure management wanted to get that message to them but it's not easy in the middle of the action when the crowd is roaring.

Marooned (Galway) - Posts: 1646 - 02/09/2019 11:23:36    2231777

Link

Replying To Toman:  "Great point. But this Is the same for every Country.You will never get a full squad of minor or u20 players to stick together until senior. Even this Cork team luck as they were yesterday won't all be playing senior football in 4 or 5 years time. Now when i say lucky as they were I don't want to sound like a poor loser, we were far superior in normal time, Cork far superior in extra time. What I would have loved to see is this minor final going to a replay. What a curtain raiser it would have been for Galway v Dublin ladies final. If we have at least 6 of those minors from yesterday and 6 of the u21 team of 2 years ago it's a huge plus. Now with the current senior management in place I personally don't think this will happen."
I don't think it's the same for every county, Galway have had a long history now with all Ireland final appearances at underage levels, this can not be said for every county.

Mickhiggins (Galway) - Posts: 25 - 02/09/2019 11:46:26    2231790

Link

Replying To Pope_Benedict:  "I don't think so. I think 'Really' is really on to something there. Our 'system' was why we 'outplayed' Cork in the first half. It was nothing to do with having superior players, which is possibly why we didn't win in the end. No shame in that. Outstanding performance from the Galway lads."
Well done Galway. from a low of losing their first game v Ros, then Connacht Final v Mayo these lads just kept at it and almost won.
First-half display was super but when you have an emphasis on defending in numbers with forwards back defending it takes it's toll on the energy levels. At times Galway only had cox & culhane up front, however when they won ball they moved it quickly to them and players who were defending moved up quickly in support and it worked great, but it's hard to keep it up for 65 or so minutes.
I felt if Galway's bench was stronger they could continue that type of play without losing out on the intensity and work rate required. I know Cunningham came on and scored 2 goals but I'm talking about players tracking back and doing the dirty work as was happening in the first half in particular. It's not a criticism of a fine team just an observation that we ran out of steam and lost concentration unfortunately after scoring the goal in injury time.

The only way to keep good minors together for u20 rests at the door of the GAA, sort out proper u20 competitions, gradings, leagues & championship, same as they have currently for Minor, that will help keep players. At the moment you may only get 1 u20 club match in the year, why would players have an interest in that

1951andwaiting (Galway) - Posts: 44 - 02/09/2019 11:51:15    2231793

Link

Replying To Marooned:  "They were the better side for most of the 60 minutes. The were in front for the vast majority of normal time. Created two good goal chances that the Cork keeper saved just before Cork got their first goal. Culhane could easily have had a penalty as well on another day. All against a physically much bigger side that was well on top in midfield.

Their biggest regret will be after defending so well during the game they left themselves so open at the back for the last attack of the game. To only have 2 players back in the full back line was madness. The entire Galway team should have been back inside their own 45 immediately after they scored the goal to put them 3 up. Even after the Cork goal, Galway engineered a free to win the game. Unfortunately Culhane missed it but no shame on Culhane. He had an excellent game and it was not an easy free.

Bu again these are very young lads and it's hard to be too critical of them. I'm sure management wanted to get that message to them but it's not easy in the middle of the action when the crowd is roaring."
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, when assessing who the better side was. One judge might award extra marks to 'a physically much bigger side that was well on top in midfield', and seemed to have some of the classier scoring forwards overall, i.e. Cork. Another judge might be way more taken with a team's tactical setup, workrate, defensive structure, capacity to generate turnovers etc, i.e. Galway. Different strokes for different folks, so unlikely to get a uniform opinion on who the better side was.

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - Posts: 2292 - 02/09/2019 12:21:54    2231821

Link

Replying To Pope_Benedict:  "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, when assessing who the better side was. One judge might award extra marks to 'a physically much bigger side that was well on top in midfield', and seemed to have some of the classier scoring forwards overall, i.e. Cork. Another judge might be way more taken with a team's tactical setup, workrate, defensive structure, capacity to generate turnovers etc, i.e. Galway. Different strokes for different folks, so unlikely to get a uniform opinion on who the better side was."
Cork were the better side in the end, even if it was a sucker punch goal to tie it in normal time. Crazy how the Seniors didn't have to play extra time but the youngsters did. Better days lie ahead, Gaillimh Abu.

maroondiesel (Mayo) - Posts: 955 - 02/09/2019 13:20:51    2231867

Link

Replying To Mickhiggins:  "We have been saying for a lifetime, "if we can just harness the talent at underage we would have a serious panel...etc... etc..."
HOW can we make all this still possible while holding them to play ball?"
How do you hold them together? If it was Dublin, they'd be lining up college places, sports scholarships and jobs for them, to keep them in the area and keep them knowing that Dublin GAA is there to help them in early college and work life. The players then feel they should and must keep playing for themselves and in repayment to the county setup that helped them get a step on the ladder. Now we don't have Dublin's resources, or anything like it, so we have to think about networking to help these lads for a start - NUIG and GMIT offer GAA scholarships / part scholarships. Relevant employers should be approached for lads that don't want college after the leaving. This is the kind of stuff that's all off the training pitch itself but essential to progressing talent groups and keeping them together.

togoutlads (Galway) - Posts: 102 - 02/09/2019 21:58:47    2232119

Link

Replying To Pope_Benedict:  "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, when assessing who the better side was. One judge might award extra marks to 'a physically much bigger side that was well on top in midfield', and seemed to have some of the classier scoring forwards overall, i.e. Cork. Another judge might be way more taken with a team's tactical setup, workrate, defensive structure, capacity to generate turnovers etc, i.e. Galway. Different strokes for different folks, so unlikely to get a uniform opinion on who the better side was."
I agree that Galway were the more tactically astute side but they needed to be based on the physical difference between the 2 side. Cork were far too slow on several occassions to kick the ball into their full forward line, they seemed intent on running it through the phases.

Culhane looked as classy as anything Cork had, many had talked about the big full forward Galway had but I don't think there was one Cork defender he was bigger than. Culhane kicked 3 briliaint points from play inside the first 20 minutes then any senior IC forward would be delighted with. Cork couldn't handle Cox at all just like Galway couldn't handle Corbett who was built like a player of a few years older.

JDF (Galway) - Posts: 318 - 03/09/2019 12:19:20    2232335

Link

Just wondering has anyone got the galway teams that played in the tedd weeb this year

rhudson (Galway) - Posts: 1023 - 10/09/2019 00:57:14    2234012

Link

The discussion on physicality is an interesting and ,to me, it reienforces the argument that it was a mistake to move to u17. Lads will always mature physically at different stages and right into their 20s. But purely in terns of height almost everyone reaches very close to their full height by 18,. But at 16 or 17 there is a big discrepancy. Some 16 year olds never grow beyond that age. Others grow several inches. The result is that u17 is not as good a barometer for future potential as u18 is.

anotheralias (Galway) - Posts: 54 - 10/09/2019 09:05:58    2234023

Link

Replying To rhudson:  "Just wondering has anyone got the galway teams that played in the tedd weeb this year"
Well I was at the Tedd Webb, as I have done with last number of years. The North board was split into 2 teams A and B. The west also had a team. The B team was made up of lads that didn't make the A team from north and West. Some fantastic players on B team but no midfielders and back line very very poor bar 2 lads. The way team was mixed was a disgrace. The B team got hammered in every game despite best efforts of 3 forwards and 2 lads in defence. The North team luckily got to final and were well in it at half time. The second half forwards were starved of possession and left inside instead of bringing them out. One lad from Kilconly did most of scoring. Not his fault but even in last 10 minutes when goals were needed he kept kicking over points from frees. The management at this stage should have been telling young lads to forget about trying to get your score rate up and let the ball into square. All in all probably looked like sideline management were way out of their dept.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 104 - 10/09/2019 09:37:14    2234029

Link

Replying To anotheralias:  "The discussion on physicality is an interesting and ,to me, it reienforces the argument that it was a mistake to move to u17. Lads will always mature physically at different stages and right into their 20s. But purely in terns of height almost everyone reaches very close to their full height by 18,. But at 16 or 17 there is a big discrepancy. Some 16 year olds never grow beyond that age. Others grow several inches. The result is that u17 is not as good a barometer for future potential as u18 is."
I think the gaa have made a huge mistake
there was a good reason why minor was u18
and u21 was the next grade up
they have made a right balls up

rhudson (Galway) - Posts: 1023 - 10/09/2019 10:56:00    2234069

Link

Replying To rhudson:  "I think the gaa have made a huge mistake
there was a good reason why minor was u18
and u21 was the next grade up
they have made a right balls up"
Couldn't agree more with u Hudson. Two brilliant competitors and should have been left alone. They say it's done to stop burnout. Yet the whole summer went and no u16 football played. Now clubs are trying to juggle between minor football and u16. On top of this minor hurling. The u16 competition should be done and dusted. What you have is County board not talking to coiste peil and none of them talking to hurling board.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 104 - 10/09/2019 12:04:17    2234090

Link