Galway Forum

Paddys Day- AI Club Finals

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

37 pts is the actual aggregate winning margin over 3 all ireland club finals and I also forgot about Lundy. Not sure if Martin farragher played competitive senior football but the rest did. This club v county being a whole different level is a valid argument but it doesn't apply to the 15 corofin I've mentioned as they have all played senior county apart from maybe Martin farragher which is a mystery in itself

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 222 - 23/03/2019 21:50:22    2174589

Link

Replying To Reversepass1:  "Of course he is serious. The question shoul be, are you seriously suggesting there are 25 county sides better than them. If so I'd love you to name a few for a good laugh.

For your information, most of them have played senior inter county football ie Power, fitzy, the 2 silke, Molloy, Wall, Daithi burke, steede, 2 farraghers, sice, burke, leonard, mcgrath. All top class footballers to name but a few.

That corofin side would be well capable of winning division 2 and its not a stretch to expect them to survive easily in division 1. Anyone who thinks they wouldnt be capable of beating the likes of roscommon or Cavan is lacking credibility. To win 3 all ireland club titles with an aggregate winning margin of 40 odd points is unheard of in the game."
Roscommon or Cavan would beat Corofin 9 times out of 10 as would most of the division 2 teams. No question Corofin are the best club team probably of all time but county and club are completely different standards. The standard of player and conditioning of players are different level. All the extra men on the over lap don't happen as runners are tracked. The space and time to deliver the kick pass is less.

Trucker1 (Galway) - Posts: 301 - 24/03/2019 10:23:38    2174642

Link

Look corofin are one of the great club sides of all time
but the reality is intercounty football at present is a diff game to club
theres no way on earth corofin would get the space play like like they do
the intercounty game is far more defense orientated sad to say
the tackling and physicality is up another level too
its a pointless debate any way corofin are a club not a county
look lets just enjoy and appreciate corofin for what they are
one of the best club teams of all time
playing great football that the whole country is loving and admiring
there a credit to their club and galway
and are and will produce wonderfull and talented players for years to come
who are taught from a young age how to play good football

rhudson (Galway) - Posts: 1048 - 24/03/2019 10:39:19    2174647

Link

Replying To Trucker1:  "Roscommon or Cavan would beat Corofin 9 times out of 10 as would most of the division 2 teams. No question Corofin are the best club team probably of all time but county and club are completely different standards. The standard of player and conditioning of players are different level. All the extra men on the over lap don't happen as runners are tracked. The space and time to deliver the kick pass is less."
Nonsense. That corofin side would wipe the floor with either of them. Your talking about average club teams v a county set up which would be true normally but im talking about 15 corofin men in my previous post that have played county senior football. There is no other club side in ireland you could say that about. Which one of the corofin players that i named in my previous post are not county standard in your opinion ? Talk sense. The reality is that they are victims of their own success.

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 222 - 24/03/2019 10:54:42    2174652

Link

Replying To Reversepass1:  "Nonsense. That corofin side would wipe the floor with either of them. Your talking about average club teams v a county set up which would be true normally but im talking about 15 corofin men in my previous post that have played county senior football. There is no other club side in ireland you could say that about. Which one of the corofin players that i named in my previous post are not county standard in your opinion ? Talk sense. The reality is that they are victims of their own success."
Facts are that only two of the players you mention are current starters at county level. Power, Wall, Mulloy will be on panel but may or may not start. I think they are good enough but not automatic to play given the opposition(Kelly,Heaney, McDaid etc) they are up against. The others most likely won't be involved and have had plenty of chances to prove themselves. If they were as good as you think all would start as im sure we can agree kevin walsh will pick the best team he can. He has no problem picking Silke despite his club involvment. 2 were great county players but are now retired and Fitzy is thinking of retiring from club. If you think Corofin would wipe the floor with Roscommon or Cavan then the nonsense is all on your side

Trucker1 (Galway) - Posts: 301 - 24/03/2019 11:57:34    2174671

Link

Replying To Reversepass1:  "Nonsense. That corofin side would wipe the floor with either of them. Your talking about average club teams v a county set up which would be true normally but im talking about 15 corofin men in my previous post that have played county senior football. There is no other club side in ireland you could say that about. Which one of the corofin players that i named in my previous post are not county standard in your opinion ? Talk sense. The reality is that they are victims of their own success."
To say that Corofin would go out and beat division one county teams is just pure nonsense.
They are a brilliant club team in their own right can we not just leave it at that without spouting absolute rubbish.its a totally different level.
Gary Sice himself said as much on the Gaa Hour podcast this week.
Seriously get a grip

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 642 - 24/03/2019 12:39:21    2174675

Link

Replying To galwayman2:  "To say that Corofin would go out and beat division one county teams is just pure nonsense.
They are a brilliant club team in their own right can we not just leave it at that without spouting absolute rubbish.its a totally different level.
Gary Sice himself said as much on the Gaa Hour podcast this week.
Seriously get a grip"
Daithi Burke, steede, 2 farraghers, sice, Wall, Molloy, silke, leonard, Burke, Lundy, McGrath, fitzy, power. Which of them would struggle at senior inter county level or indeed wouldn't be good enough to get a start with either roscommon or cavan

Delusional on your part to suggest they wouldnt be up to. They are essentially an inter county team operating at club level. Get a grip

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 222 - 24/03/2019 13:00:16    2174678

Link

Replying To Reversepass1:  "Daithi Burke, steede, 2 farraghers, sice, Wall, Molloy, silke, leonard, Burke, Lundy, McGrath, fitzy, power. Which of them would struggle at senior inter county level or indeed wouldn't be good enough to get a start with either roscommon or cavan

Delusional on your part to suggest they wouldnt be up to. They are essentially an inter county team operating at club level. Get a grip"
You do realise Fitzy is almost 39 don't you?
These are all excellent players nobody is disputing that.
But it's absolute rubbish to suggest they could go into division one of the NFL and be beating teams.
Do you genuinely not realise the gap that exists between club and county football?
They could certainly go up against division 3/4 opposition but you are suggesting they could beat division one teams which is rubbish talk

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 642 - 24/03/2019 16:59:50    2174774

Link

Replying To crafty:  "Are you seriously suggesting that Corofin are better than 25 county teams.Now that is really ridiculous.With a little bit of luck Mountbellew would have beaten them."
I started a right argument. If you read my comment again I said they are more advanced than most county teams. Nothing about beating county teams. As the dogs on the streets know inter county is totally different to club. Even the Ulster club teams play an attractive brand of football. The preparation and work that goes on in the background from Kevin O'Brien Dave Morris and the rest of the backroom team is huge. There is a crew as big as most inter county teams. The work the lads put in when training is massive and and extra sessions carried out are together in groups or individual sessions. If Mountbellew were looking for luck to win a county final well they were outa luck when Lundy got on the ball. It's scores like that that brings the best outa teams and drive them on. Nothing to do with luck.

Pullin.lambs1 (Galway) - Posts: 36 - 25/03/2019 12:15:53    2175228

Link