Galway Forum

Senior Club Hurling Championship 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Some good fixtures there, any of them being showing on TV.

Galwayspur (Offaly) - Posts: 138 - 09/09/2019 14:42:19    2233862

Link

Replying To Galwayspur:  "Some good fixtures there, any of them being showing on TV."
Well hardly now as it's only the final Round of Group games, maybe when we whittle it down to the last 8 or Quarter Finals.

katser (Galway) - Posts: 711 - 11/09/2019 09:32:08    2234301

Link

Replying To katser:  "This Weekends fixtures Round 5
It's the Final Round of Group matches and some tricky games to call!
Senior A
L.Mellows v Castlegar..................Mellows
T.Larkins v Portumna..................Larkins
St.Thomas' v Turloughmore.......Thomas'
Cappataggle v K/Leitrim..............Cappy
T/Abbey-Duniry v Gort.................TAD
Sarsfields v Loughrea...................Loughrea

Senior B
Craughwell v Athenry...................Craughwell
Oranmore-Maree v P.Pearses......Oranmore
Ahascragh-Fohenagh v Beagh......Ahascragh
Ardrahan v Killimordaly.................Ardrahan
Clarinbridge v Abbeyknockmoy....the Bridge
Mullagh v Ballindeeren..................Mullagh."
I'd agree with 11 of your choices. But think Gort will just beat tad by a point or 2. Gort should have won against cappy and Sarsfields but mistakes towards the end of matches cost them dearly. Would love to see tad beat them but just think that if Gort learns from their mistakes they should just win. If tad win it will set gort back big time. When was the last time that they never got out of a group.
So far loughrea and Sarsfields are in the quarterfinals and should be joined by turloughmore and St Thomas. Rest in the pre quarters will be cappy mellows Tommy's and gort along with Clarinbridge oranmore and between Killimordaly mullagh Craughwell athreny.
Tad v gort and St Thomas v turloughmore will be good games to go to this weekend.
Think loughrea and St Thomas will be favourites
But still think Cappataggle are the dark horses this year.
Anyone agree. What would everyone reckon

plentyofstick (Galway) - Posts: 27 - 12/09/2019 15:13:13    2234772

Link

Replying To plentyofstick:  "I'd agree with 11 of your choices. But think Gort will just beat tad by a point or 2. Gort should have won against cappy and Sarsfields but mistakes towards the end of matches cost them dearly. Would love to see tad beat them but just think that if Gort learns from their mistakes they should just win. If tad win it will set gort back big time. When was the last time that they never got out of a group.
So far loughrea and Sarsfields are in the quarterfinals and should be joined by turloughmore and St Thomas. Rest in the pre quarters will be cappy mellows Tommy's and gort along with Clarinbridge oranmore and between Killimordaly mullagh Craughwell athreny.
Tad v gort and St Thomas v turloughmore will be good games to go to this weekend.
Think loughrea and St Thomas will be favourites
But still think Cappataggle are the dark horses this year.
Anyone agree. What would everyone reckon"
Gort were winning 3 games with 60mins up and ended up losing 2 (Cappy & Sars) and drawing 1 (Loughrea) all in injury time therefore taking 1pt from a possible 6pts, so I just think there are having Bad Luck this year, now possibly their Experience will carry the day against TAD and they could win but I'll stick with TAD.
I'd agree with your predictions for the Knock Out Stages but I couldn't see either Cappy or Loughrea lifting the Cup!!!
Thomas', Mellows & Turlough as favourites with Clarinbridge as Dark Horse/ Possible Winners!

katser (Galway) - Posts: 711 - 13/09/2019 19:05:34    2235083

Link

Saturday's Results Round 5
Senior A
Tynagh/Abbey-Duniry 1-18 Gort 0-19
Loughrea 0-21 Sarsfields 0-11
Cappataggle 4-13 Kilnadeemna/Leitrim 1-15

Senior B
Oranmore-Maree 0-13 Padraig Pearses 0-13
Craughwell 3-19 Athenry 0-13
Beagh 1-15 Ahascragh-Fohenagh 1-13

katser (Galway) - Posts: 711 - 14/09/2019 17:52:02    2235232

Link

Replying To katser:  "Gort were winning 3 games with 60mins up and ended up losing 2 (Cappy & Sars) and drawing 1 (Loughrea) all in injury time therefore taking 1pt from a possible 6pts, so I just think there are having Bad Luck this year, now possibly their Experience will carry the day against TAD and they could win but I'll stick with TAD.
I'd agree with your predictions for the Knock Out Stages but I couldn't see either Cappy or Loughrea lifting the Cup!!!
Thomas', Mellows & Turlough as favourites with Clarinbridge as Dark Horse/ Possible Winners!"
You were right about tad. Tight game going by what's the score. (it's a brilliant app). Was at the beagh ahascragh game and cappy letrim game. Ahascragh were well on top for 45mins. But poor shooting caught them in the end. Ahascragh had a goal disallowed just before half time. Don't know what the reason was. Was at the other end of the pitch. Beagh had a never die attitude. Scored a great free to the back of the net with about 30secs left on the clock. Beagh had poor wides too but does not matter now. Safe for another year. Cappy had a great first half. Had the beaten of letrims full back líne. They Were let in to the goal easy enough. 2nd half they did not get as much freedom poor shooting from them too. Will have to improve on this for the pre quarter finals. Letrim did well the second half but were lacking leadership on the pitch can definitely tell they are down a few players. Maybe they will have them back next year. They will have it tough against Castlegar /Tommy larkins.

plentyofstick (Galway) - Posts: 27 - 14/09/2019 18:15:48    2235237

Link

Sunday's Results Round 5
Senior A
Castlegar 1-15 Liam Mellows 1-13
Tommy Larkins 2-25 Portumna 1-14
St.Thomas' 0-08 Turloughmore 0-08

Senior B
Clarinbridge 1-17 Abbeyknockmoy 0-15
Killimordaly 1-13 Ardrahan 0-09
Mullagh 2-11 Ballindeeren 1-10

katser (Galway) - Posts: 711 - 15/09/2019 19:14:35    2235745

Link

Group Finshed
Senior A Gp 1
P W D L Pts
1.Turloughmore 5 4 1 0 9pts
2.St.Thomas' 5 3 1 1 7pts
3.L.Mellows 5 3 0 2 6pts
4.T.Larkins 5 2 0 3 4pts
5.Castlegar 5 2 0 3 4pts
6.Portumna 5 0 0 5 0pts

Gp 2
1.Loughrea 5 4 1 0 9pts
2.Sarsfields 5 3 1 1 7pts
3.Cappataggle 5 3 0 2 6pts
4.T/Abbey-Duniry 5 2 0 3 4pts
5.Gort 5 1 1 3 3pts
6.K/Leitrim 5 0 1 4 1pts

Senior B Gp 1
1.Oranmore-Maree 5 3 2 0 8pts
2.Craughwell 5 4 0 1 8pts
3.Athenry 5 3 0 2 6pts
4.P.Pearses 5 2 1 2 5pts
5.Beagh 5 1 0 4 2pts
6.Ahascragh/F. 5 0 1 4 1pts

Gp 2
1.Clarinbridge 5 5 0 0 10pts
2.Killimordaly 5 4 0 1 8pts
3.Mullagh 5 2 1 2 5pts
4.Ardrahan 5 1 1 3 3pts
5.Ballindeeren 5 1 1 3 3pts
6.Abbeyknockmoy 5 0 1 4 1pts

katser (Galway) - Posts: 711 - 15/09/2019 19:45:04    2235756

Link

Was at the TAD v Gort game.....

For Gort thought Lally and Harte stood out as county players ....but Gort IMO were very 1 dimensional hitting near every puck out down on Mullins (who also did well considering the expectations to win every puckout).Once that avenue was eventually closed Gort ran out ideas and time

For TAD thought Shiel at full back and Killeen at center back were outstanding with Conroy at CF also very good .....but Maloney was the star of the show. When the chips were down he was TAD's go to man wining frees and then pointing them while leading the full forward line with aplomb.

Seems strange to me that Galway couldn't give him more game time especially in that role as a ball winning forward and accurate finisher

johnd3ff (Galway) - Posts: 19 - 16/09/2019 10:48:23    2235980

Link

Anyone from Loughrea or anyone know how Jamie Ryan has not got a look in for Galway. I know the game against Sarsfields was more or less a training game but he's been standout for a couple of seasons now. Would it be the case he has turned down an invitation?

SamandLiamSoon (Galway) - Posts: 433 - 16/09/2019 11:01:28    2235988

Link

Replying To SamandLiamSoon:  "Anyone from Loughrea or anyone know how Jamie Ryan has not got a look in for Galway. I know the game against Sarsfields was more or less a training game but he's been standout for a couple of seasons now. Would it be the case he has turned down an invitation?"
Maybe its because Galway got knocked out of Championship in June and there was no Club hurling at the time and also the County panel wont resume training till after the Club Championship is over.
We have to get a new Manager first (hopefully Davy Fitz) before lads can be picked for the County.

katser (Galway) - Posts: 711 - 16/09/2019 14:21:10    2236107

Link

Replying To katser:  "Maybe its because Galway got knocked out of Championship in June and there was no Club hurling at the time and also the County panel wont resume training till after the Club Championship is over.
We have to get a new Manager first (hopefully Davy Fitz) before lads can be picked for the County."
He's not a flash in the pan. He's been consistently excellent for the last three seasons.

SamandLiamSoon (Galway) - Posts: 433 - 16/09/2019 14:36:59    2236115

Link

Replying To SamandLiamSoon:  "Anyone from Loughrea or anyone know how Jamie Ryan has not got a look in for Galway. I know the game against Sarsfields was more or less a training game but he's been standout for a couple of seasons now. Would it be the case he has turned down an invitation?"
Maybe because of the type of forward Galway have picked over the last while, bigger ball winner type is why he hasn't got in but agreed that he has to come in this year. Has been the best player on the filed in nearly every game he has played in this year.

galway19 (Galway) - Posts: 55 - 16/09/2019 14:59:07    2236135

Link