Galway Forum

New Football Rules

(Oldest Posts First)

Just wondering what people think of new rules passed 2 day , personally I think the 3 hand pass rule daft it's hard enough for the ref i think it will lead to lots more players defending as they know u can't use hand pass after 3 or players will get smart and start playing ball soccer style i think it will be a farce ,, only my opinion

Kickitout (Galway) - Posts: 321 - 24/11/2018 17:25:14    2152305

Link

Replying To Kickitout:  "Just wondering what people think of new rules passed 2 day , personally I think the 3 hand pass rule daft it's hard enough for the ref i think it will lead to lots more players defending as they know u can't use hand pass after 3 or players will get smart and start playing ball soccer style i think it will be a farce ,, only my opinion"
Agree ,,, only 3 hand passes is a farce,,,,

hoppingball (Galway) - Posts: 963 - 24/11/2018 22:23:35    2152331

Link

I think the issue concerning the hand pass had to be addressed. The emphasis should be on playing football not basketball. Some people think it will make the game more defensive with teams kicking the ball back and starting again. Id disagree.

Any team who adopt that tactic will soon find out that it will be easily counteracted by the opposing team pushing up. It's is very simple to execute a hand pass or fist past in comparison to a foot pass. Kicking the ball backwards after 3 hand passes is a whole different ball game. The odds of turning over possession/intercepting the foot pass increases dramatically. Coaches out there who think otherwise will be found out very quickly. The safest bet will be to go forward with the emphasis on playing the ball by foot.

Alot of the current inter county players of today will struggle when faced with the reality of having to kick the ball now. Galway have plenty of natural footballers who are at ease with the foot pass. Here's hoping they are picked. If not it could be a painful league.

I also like the introduction of the sin bin and the sideline kick rule. Hard to understand why they tweaked the kick out rule. That's a real pity as it would surely have resulted in more high fielding around midfield. Something that is dying in the game. Overall, the rules changes will breath life back into the game. As for the referees and the 3 hand pass rule, if they can't count to 3 then maybe they should consider taking up some other hobby.

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 215 - 25/11/2018 00:07:17    2152341

Link