Galway Forum

Manager For Galway U20 Job

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To squares_edge:  "have to remember these are under 20s not unbder 21s and there is a big difference

previous poster mentioned skill sets and that along with awareness and game intelligenceis what should be looked out for at the age of 18/19

the physical development however should not be left to chance and there should be s and c development programs for all emerging players- problem is the finances i guess and the likelihood is it will left up to the players themselves once under 20s finishes"
Fair comment re u20 v u21. It did look like a few of them were souped up minors rather than soon to be seniors but many are only 19.

Tierney had one of those games where nothing went right for him but that can happen.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 216 - 10/07/2019 22:55:46    2209288

Link

Not sure what game some of the other posters were at.

Liam Costello was absolutely outstanding. Far and away the best player on the pitch. Stuck his head where you wouldn't put your foot at least twice, 4 classy points, and set up a couple more. Brilliant display. Also thought Liam Boyle had a very good first half but was less influential later in the game. Conor Newell had a fine game when he came in, and Mulkerrin was typically excellent at full back. You'd hope to see him at 3 for the seniors next year.

We were beat up a stick at midfield. Big Durcan caught absolutely everything and we were very lucky that he was so wasteful in possession. We were also very lucky they Mayo missed 3 simple frees in the first half and then, despite having loads of possession, were incredibly wasteful in front of goal.

We need to improve to win an All Ireland but it's possible if Costello can maintain this form and with a fit Conor Campbell back.

Charlie (Kerry) - Posts: 424 - 10/07/2019 23:35:05    2209303

Link

Good to know Kevin Walsh was there. He will have loads of time for going to matches now.

Charlie (Kerry) - Posts: 424 - 10/07/2019 23:36:34    2209304

Link

This game was so far away from senior county football it would need a telescope. Great win but let's not be getting carried away. There was no cynicism in this game, no holding off the ball, sneaky hits etc etc. God when I think about it there was a lot ot that going on Saturday...from both teams

johnterry (Galway) - Posts: 244 - 11/07/2019 10:19:43    2209371

Link

Replying To Charlie:  "Good to know Kevin Walsh was there. He will have loads of time for going to matches now."
Sarcasm is the worst form of wit.

fairplay4ever (Galway) - Posts: 311 - 11/07/2019 10:38:22    2209382

Link

Mulkerrin has been touted for a few years as a future star. Is he far off senior in terms of being physically ready?

Any others ready to step up? This seems a young team so might take a year or two?

How is Evan Murphy's recovery coming along? He would have been with this group I presume.

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 958 - 11/07/2019 12:44:42    2209454

Link

Replying To johnterry:  "This game was so far away from senior county football it would need a telescope. Great win but let's not be getting carried away. There was no cynicism in this game, no holding off the ball, sneaky hits etc etc. God when I think about it there was a lot ot that going on Saturday...from both teams"
johnterry! Is there any chance you can give your usual assessment of a few players. Have been too some of the away games in the league this year and reckoned you were on the money with your ratings. Might seem a bit unfair to do that with u20 players but interested in Silke (who seemed to have been injured a lot in latter years); mulkerrin (who had been doing a great job on Clifford two years ago before he moved outfield and scored the wonder goal on him.); Tierney & Costello.

BleedingMaroon (Galway) - Posts: 5 - 11/07/2019 13:33:21    2209488

Link

Replying To rhudson:  "i was wondering about the strenght and conditioning
surely we have someone whos looking after the 17 to 22 yrolds
because its one age group where dublin sem to be able develop their young lads big time
its a vital part of the development of young players"
while the players are actively training with the group they woill have s and c access but once out that is gone... the same is true of the seniors and their extended squad they should after a break be not only given access to but supervised by an s and c coach for the off season.... some players need different things; more speed more agility, more strength, muscle balancing for injury prevention etc etc
the problem is this is left up to the players- some do nothing others which is worse do the wrong things and this exacerbates their situation!!!!
this is where dublin and it looks limerick in hurling are ahead of the posse at the moment. very difficult for new players to come in and take on the monsters of men that are now intercounty players...some concerted s and c would help!

squares_edge (Galway) - Posts: 515 - 11/07/2019 16:05:18    2209572

Link

Replying To Mayonman:  "Mulkerrin has been touted for a few years as a future star. Is he far off senior in terms of being physically ready?

Any others ready to step up? This seems a young team so might take a year or two?

How is Evan Murphy's recovery coming along? He would have been with this group I presume."
Mulkerrin is a big lad. He's 6'2 or 6'3 but he will have to bulk up a little obviously. He's got the frame for it though.

That said you don't want them to overdo it either. I think Sean Andy looks too bulky in the upper body to me. I'd say he could do with losing a bit of weight to help his mobility.

Marooned (Galway) - Posts: 1621 - 11/07/2019 16:54:09    2209591

Link

Replying To BleedingMaroon:  "johnterry! Is there any chance you can give your usual assessment of a few players. Have been too some of the away games in the league this year and reckoned you were on the money with your ratings. Might seem a bit unfair to do that with u20 players but interested in Silke (who seemed to have been injured a lot in latter years); mulkerrin (who had been doing a great job on Clifford two years ago before he moved outfield and scored the wonder goal on him.); Tierney & Costello."
Oran Burke, big lad with a big boot on him. Not sure about the softer stuff like finding men short. We seemed to be losing the long ones. Needs to break into the Corofin team.
McFadden, great prospect, sticky.
Mulkerrin, aggressive, has he improved at a great rate since minor is the question, we will know more later in the summer.
Potter, good presence, I think Campbell could play senior, athletic and a good brain.
Boyle, I know this guy is very highly rated by all the development coaches/underage coaches that have worked with him. Great footballer.
Barrett and Tierney, very similar, 2 big lads, Tierney has the football skills
L Costello, great engine, great tryer and was rewarded last night
Silke, playmaker role suits him, wand of a left foot.
Cunningham and P Costello, 2 very different players, Cunningham is very unpredictable for a defender and Costello reminds me of scan.

Very hard to judge fellas in last night, but crowd, nervy, against lads they've played against loads of times.

Galway traditionally kick on at underage when they get out of Connacht. I think we will see other lads come to the fore. They all look comfortable with the ball which is good.
Coaching team is PJ, Divilly, Scan, Mike Comer(Fitness), Sammon, Alan Keane(Keepers) and Mick Culhane.

johnterry (Galway) - Posts: 244 - 11/07/2019 18:17:40    2209623

Link

Replying To johnterry:  "Oran Burke, big lad with a big boot on him. Not sure about the softer stuff like finding men short. We seemed to be losing the long ones. Needs to break into the Corofin team.
McFadden, great prospect, sticky.
Mulkerrin, aggressive, has he improved at a great rate since minor is the question, we will know more later in the summer.
Potter, good presence, I think Campbell could play senior, athletic and a good brain.
Boyle, I know this guy is very highly rated by all the development coaches/underage coaches that have worked with him. Great footballer.
Barrett and Tierney, very similar, 2 big lads, Tierney has the football skills
L Costello, great engine, great tryer and was rewarded last night
Silke, playmaker role suits him, wand of a left foot.
Cunningham and P Costello, 2 very different players, Cunningham is very unpredictable for a defender and Costello reminds me of scan.

Very hard to judge fellas in last night, but crowd, nervy, against lads they've played against loads of times.

Galway traditionally kick on at underage when they get out of Connacht. I think we will see other lads come to the fore. They all look comfortable with the ball which is good.
Coaching team is PJ, Divilly, Scan, Mike Comer(Fitness), Sammon, Alan Keane(Keepers) and Mick Culhane."
Good analysis, johnterry. A dream management team for those young lads - what a group of top level experience and knowledge to learn from. The players are said to love the setup.
Always very hard to predict who might make it at Senior IC level - there are often surprises, some of the more fringe players can rise as they develop their game, s&c etc. More power to them all. We're proud of their achievements so far and hopefully more to look forward to.

togoutlads (Galway) - Posts: 51 - 11/07/2019 19:45:57    2209649

Link

Apart from Silke the other forwards look like their lacking a bit of height. Would Tierney be more of a forward or a midfielder?

Robert Walzer is on the panel but not played yet, is he injured or deemed not good enough?

JDF (Galway) - Posts: 301 - 12/07/2019 15:33:14    2209999

Link

Replying To JDF:  "Apart from Silke the other forwards look like their lacking a bit of height. Would Tierney be more of a forward or a midfielder?

Robert Walzer is on the panel but not played yet, is he injured or deemed not good enough?"
Tierney usually plays in the half forward line. I think they moved him to midfield as the big Mayo midfielder was winning quite a lot of ball at the time.

Marooned (Galway) - Posts: 1621 - 12/07/2019 15:46:35    2210002

Link

Replying To JDF:  "Apart from Silke the other forwards look like their lacking a bit of height. Would Tierney be more of a forward or a midfielder?

Robert Walzer is on the panel but not played yet, is he injured or deemed not good enough?"
Is Walzer definitely on the panel? I haven't seen his name mentioned anywhere.
He was man of the match in both minor and u21 club finals two years ago I think?

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 629 - 12/07/2019 18:10:26    2210057

Link

Replying To galwayman2:  "Is Walzer definitely on the panel? I haven't seen his name mentioned anywhere.
He was man of the match in both minor and u21 club finals two years ago I think?"
He's 100% on the panel

johnterry (Galway) - Posts: 244 - 12/07/2019 18:41:46    2210072

Link

walzer was named in programme so yeah definitely in
what is wrong with campbell or just not favored?

squares_edge (Galway) - Posts: 515 - 12/07/2019 19:02:56    2210080

Link

Replying To galwayman2:  "Is Walzer definitely on the panel? I haven't seen his name mentioned anywhere.
He was man of the match in both minor and u21 club finals two years ago I think?"
Extra panel members:

Jason Reilly
Conor O Neill
Daniel Kenny
Cian Deane
Robert Walzer
Sean Fitzgerald
Brian Mannion
Darragh Creaven
Liam Judge
Conor Flaherty
Oisin McDonagh
Cillian Reidy
Colin Murray
Conor Keenan
Barry McGath.

Conor Campbell has been injured. Some players affected by exams.

SamandLiamSoon (Galway) - Posts: 371 - 12/07/2019 21:31:20    2210137

Link

Replying To squares_edge:  "walzer was named in programme so yeah definitely in
what is wrong with campbell or just not favored?"
Some good players from last years u17s not in the squad either - Gill, Sweeney, Kelly.
Though Gill definitely came on during the John Kerins tournament but not in the programme the last day.

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 629 - 12/07/2019 21:45:42    2210138

Link