Galway Forum

Manager For Galway U20 Job

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To giveitlong:  "There is little or nothing any manager can do to prevent underage players getting caught up in hype. When this happens to a team they are usually beaten inside the first 10 minutes, as indeed happened a few years ago to Kerry U21 against us. The effort required to get back in the game is huge. And to be honest our lads were "horsed out of it" by bigger, stronger men in most positions as were our senior team against both Mayo and Roscommon this summer."
There's no comparison with the u21 team in 2017 and this year u20 team. That group had a lot of exceptional talent and under the guidance of a better manager would have beaten, we've got a lot of players from the group and might be a couple more to come. I don't think this years group were anything special, last years was a fair bit more talented in my book, another case of poor management.

Dublin were clearly the better conditioned team, don't think the Dubs will get too many from that team either.

We've got the makings of a very good team next year too, there's 5 involved from Saturday who are underage next year and another 7 or 8 on the extended panel who'll be there next year too plus there should be a few more of last years minor team like Cathal Sweeney & Paul Kelly who are well capable of making the step up.

JDF (Galway) - Posts: 318 - 30/07/2019 17:57:04    2218829

Link

Replying To moc.dna:  "The difference in strength & conditioning which was very noticeable is down to zero policy at coaching level in Galway. If people only knew that it's all up to whatever coaches take over & there is no continuity or planning from U14 upwards compared to the systems in place in Dublin, Kerry & Tyrone. What happens in Galway is the same faces taking a team from minor usually looking for glory. The story lies in the coaching section of Galway football, some of whom are too busy involved in the senior set up. Any success Galway are having at underage is down to the contribution of coaches at club level who will never be heard of."
mock.dna brilliant post. At last I hear someone who is on the same wavelength as myself. It's the clubs that coach those young lads that put them in the limelight. But what do those club coaches get back in return. I'll tell you what..they are told that Mr x is now involved with County and won't be available to your club until Country manager Mr y says so. And if I'm honest a lot of those players come back to their respective clubs with a lot less football skills than they had leaving their clubs.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 94 - 30/07/2019 20:29:19    2218870

Link

Replying To Toman:  "mock.dna brilliant post. At last I hear someone who is on the same wavelength as myself. It's the clubs that coach those young lads that put them in the limelight. But what do those club coaches get back in return. I'll tell you what..they are told that Mr x is now involved with County and won't be available to your club until Country manager Mr y says so. And if I'm honest a lot of those players come back to their respective clubs with a lot less football skills than they had leaving their clubs."
Any word from Tommt K he hasnt posted in a while?

brisbane (Galway) - Posts: 390 - 30/07/2019 21:02:15    2218878

Link

Replying To brisbane:  "Any word from Tommt K he hasnt posted in a while?"
Ah but he has....

Belclare (Galway) - Posts: 391 - 31/07/2019 01:21:58    2218971

Link

Thats a good Dublin but not one of their recent better underage teams and I won't be surprised if Cork or Tyrone beat them in the final.

Yondu (UK) - Posts: 226 - 27/07/2019 21:27:40

And for the record surprised I was not.

Yondu (UK) - Posts: 238 - 08/08/2019 00:06:37    2222533

Link