Galway Forum

Wexford GAA Appoint Commercial Manager- Should Galway GAA Do Same?

(Oldest Posts First)

Hi, Wexford GAA have appointed a Commercial manager. 31 years old Eanna Martin, a former Model county hurler is the manager. He is a graduate of UCC. And has experiance in the Pharmacutical industry, he has worked as a marketing executive. His job is to implement the Wexford GAA strategic plan. This includes having full time coaches in the four main towns of Wexford. And finishing their centre of excellence in Ferns. The only other full time commercial manager is Mossy Quinn- in Dublin GAA. Tomás is turning the Dubs into the GAA's money making juggernaut!
Should Galway follow suit. Given the lack of commercial expertise in the county board at present?

galwayford (Galway) - Posts: 1574 - 14/04/2018 19:26:49    2093013

Link

A commercial manager tries to maximise the commerical and marketing side of the local GAA. For example the Wexford supporters (Cairde Loch Garman) club are holding a Race day at Punchestown at the end of the month. There is plans for a corporate area in Innovate Wexford park, and also plans for a Golf classic. Eanna is also looking to Wexford people in New York, London and Dublin for extra sponsorship.

galwayford (Galway) - Posts: 1574 - 15/04/2018 15:55:58    2093104

Link

Yes.

FallenStar (Galway) - Posts: 216 - 15/04/2018 16:26:14    2093110

Link

And how much is a commercial manager going to cost? Who's funding the Wexford one? GAA is rapidly getting notions above it's station. Totally parochial games (never in a million years will they be international sports) is trying to be turned professional with a select few milking it - managers,physios, dietitians, statisticians etc. Players will have to follow. Totally unsustainable. GAA obsessed with money.

donnellan10 (Galway) - Posts: 6 - 16/04/2018 20:26:05    2093392

Link

Replying To donnellan10:  "And how much is a commercial manager going to cost? Who's funding the Wexford one? GAA is rapidly getting notions above it's station. Totally parochial games (never in a million years will they be international sports) is trying to be turned professional with a select few milking it - managers,physios, dietitians, statisticians etc. Players will have to follow. Totally unsustainable. GAA obsessed with money."
Agree with you totally this crack of paying managers at club level is scandalous I know of one club who in north galway refused to pay an outside manager it caused chaos on the club and some wealthy business man in the localilty is paying this trainer who never held a position in his own club quite remarkable ... Now getting back to to original point where is the money going to come from and by the way who pays for our CEO and how much does he get I hear he gets expenses on top of his salary amounting to well over 70k is this correct ?? and by the way I don't see us any better of since the appointment it was way better ran with old hurling and football boards we are gone mad again it's back to the fool training teams getting dogs abuse from parents and the lad down the local pub on a Saturday night selling lotto tickets getting ate for what to pay the boys milking the system

Yeaman (Galway) - Posts: 26 - 17/04/2018 08:19:52    2093440

Link

Replying To donnellan10:  "And how much is a commercial manager going to cost? Who's funding the Wexford one? GAA is rapidly getting notions above it's station. Totally parochial games (never in a million years will they be international sports) is trying to be turned professional with a select few milking it - managers,physios, dietitians, statisticians etc. Players will have to follow. Totally unsustainable. GAA obsessed with money."
Sorry lad, but this is a bit narrow vision. In modern society it doesn't matter if your an amature organisation etc. you need to have a medium-long term strategy AND you need someone in place to execute the plan/strategy. If the person in place is doing their job correctly they will easily pay for themselves in additionally generate revenue. In Galway I think we have huge potential to generate income:
- GAA Shop at all home games, open from early in the morning until well after the game has ended
- Make home game more of a family event making kids want to come along (face painting, semi organised football and hurling puck around before and after the game, bands etc.
- Further outreach to the Galway ex-pats, there's a huge diaspora out there in Boston and London and we should be maximising this potential.

I have been on here before harping on about Mountain South land and Tuam/ Pearse Stadium and my thoughts are clear on this. We are wasting money funding 2-3 'county grounds' we should nearly sell up the lot and move to a new ground somewhere connected by the motorway/proposed new ring-road.

If I was looking at this from a purely strategic point of view I'd take mountain south and go into a private partnership/tender process with a developer and build a well designed, eco/passive housing estate with all family amenities on the land and sell it to the top end of the market as Galway's first purpose build, high-spec housing estate with all family amenities designed and built as part of the project. All profits turned over to Galway GAA.

The_DOC (Galway) - Posts: 579 - 17/04/2018 09:27:11    2093449

Link

Your talking rubbish. Loads of people make money out of the GAA. A commercial directors job is to ensure that the county board get their proper cut of that money. i.e. it should be self funded. Connacht rugby increased their commercial revenue €600-700k per year when they hired a full time commercial director.

A commercial director for Galway Gaa is long overdue!

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 965 - 17/04/2018 09:36:45    2093454

Link

Lads there was a Commercial Manager appointed 2 years ago, he rightly left because he was left totally to his own devices and wasn't supported by the County Board. Says it all really that none of you knew he even existed! Nothing will change until there's a proper strategic plan put in place by the CEO. That should be part of what he's paid to do. I won't hold my breath.

johnjoe21 (Galway) - Posts: 81 - 17/04/2018 12:58:55    2093516

Link

Galway is a big GAA county. We are one of the few counties who could win in both football and hurling. Cork and Dublin are the others. The Dublin GAA have a commercial director- Tomás Mossy Quinn. He has made thousands for the Dubs.
Personally I think the more money generated the better for the GAA. Is é mo thuairm go bhfuil sé an tábhactacht go mbeidh an bainisteor Gnó ins Gaillimh.

galwayford (Galway) - Posts: 1574 - 18/04/2018 16:25:19    2093826

Link

Replying To johnjoe21:  "Lads there was a Commercial Manager appointed 2 years ago, he rightly left because he was left totally to his own devices and wasn't supported by the County Board. Says it all really that none of you knew he even existed! Nothing will change until there's a proper strategic plan put in place by the CEO. That should be part of what he's paid to do. I won't hold my breath."
100% correct johnjoe21 and he had great ideas but limited support from the top table, hence when Connacht Rugby offered him a role he couldn't refuse he didn't. Getting into property development on mountain south might make sense to someone but it's high risk and the debt is already a burden, offload it for a fraction of the cost and be done, sure it's not like anyone will be held accountable for that disaster but all the clubs will pay dearly for the hurling board mistake, oops #gaillimhamháin. Don't even start on the CEO's job description let alone roles and responsibilities.

dontlookback (Galway) - Posts: 102 - 18/04/2018 23:51:35    2093885

Link

The Mountain south site will be sold this week for a big loss.

galwayford (Galway) - Posts: 1574 - 27/04/2018 11:29:11    2095243

Link

Replying To galwayford:  "The Mountain south site will be sold this week for a big loss."
I don't understand how its such a big loss when house and property prices are either back on par or in some cases higher than what they were in the boom?

The_DOC (Galway) - Posts: 579 - 27/04/2018 11:43:29    2095247

Link

According to an article on Hoganstand, Galway page, the county board will make a loss of nearly 2 million euros. 2 million euros! A lán airgid!

galwayford (Galway) - Posts: 1574 - 27/04/2018 16:18:57    2095320

Link

Replying To galwayford:  "According to an article on Hoganstand, Galway page, the county board will make a loss of nearly 2 million euros. 2 million euros! A lán airgid!"
I don't understand the whole mountain south thing. Surely if it was to be developed and used by county board the fact that the sell on value has dropped is irrelevant because they weren't going to sell it. Did they not know ahem thru paid €2m+ that they had top pay the money back. Am I missing something here coz I can't seem to get the logic.........

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 965 - 28/04/2018 22:59:44    2095543

Link

According to Pat Kearney the Galway county chairman, one of the main recommendations of the recent audit is to have a professional accountant or Financial manger involved with the Galway GAA.

galwayford (Galway) - Posts: 1574 - 15/12/2018 22:59:37    2154379

Link

Replying To galwayford:  "According to Pat Kearney the Galway county chairman, one of the main recommendations of the recent audit is to have a professional accountant or Financial manger involved with the Galway GAA."
a commercial manager is very different from an accounts officer which is being proposed. The county board are currently looking at employing a bean counter who would keep an eye on spending, and would highlight officers dipping their fingers in the till. A commercial manager is a person with a business development/marketing background which is not what is being proposed.

devrandom (Galway) - Posts: 30 - 17/12/2018 14:49:20    2154513

Link

Do they know the difference?

SixtiesKid (Galway) - Posts: 102 - 17/12/2018 18:03:14    2154537

Link

Replying To SixtiesKid:  "Do they know the difference?"
In fairness the county treasurer is very business savy, however hes only man

devrandom (Galway) - Posts: 30 - 18/12/2018 10:07:39    2154584

Link