Galway Forum

Dream Team Awards 2017 (football)

(Oldest Posts First)

Hi guys,
its around that time of the year to start picking the dream team for the football season.
Any surprises this year or will it be dominated by Corofin and Mountbellew men again?
Surely a few monivea men should be on it - what a year they had!

I was in the bookies in Ballybane last night and Gary Sice is odds on to be POTY again.
Young Joe Donnellan is tipped to be young player of the year.
Any thoughts?

galwayman98 (Galway) - Posts: 10 - 05/10/2017 13:20:51    2053290

Link

Replying To galwayman98:  "Hi guys,
its around that time of the year to start picking the dream team for the football season.
Any surprises this year or will it be dominated by Corofin and Mountbellew men again?
Surely a few monivea men should be on it - what a year they had!

I was in the bookies in Ballybane last night and Gary Sice is odds on to be POTY again.
Young Joe Donnellan is tipped to be young player of the year.
Any thoughts?"
Joe Donnellan from Cortoon? Surley not. Watched him play a relegation match 2 weeks ago V Kilconly and he was non existent in the game

gaaman11 (Galway) - Posts: 107 - 05/10/2017 15:24:13    2053328

Link

I'd say even Gary himself wouldn't take those odds.He's been ok but Colin Brady,Ian Burke,Fitzy (in games he played)have been more consistent.What constitutes young player of the year-If u21 Colin Brady or Michael Daly would have to be in the running.Michael probably in running for both as well come to think of it,

fairplay4ever (Galway) - Posts: 341 - 05/10/2017 17:00:11    2053386

Link

Ian Burke for POTY

Tiddlywinks77 (Galway) - Posts: 255 - 18/10/2017 09:46:56    2055935

Link

Replying To Tiddlywinks77:  "Ian Burke for POTY"
Ian in the running but quiet in the final.
On basis probably Corofin player I think the following are contenders for player of the year.
Fitzy,Kieran McGrath,Conor Cunningham,Mike Farragher,Ronan Steede(up to semi final ??),Jason Leonard,Lundy (if you ignore first 2 games) and Ian Burke(quiet in the final)
My bet is on a defender and a toss up after that.

fairplay4ever (Galway) - Posts: 341 - 18/10/2017 17:03:01    2056059

Link

Replying To fairplay4ever:  "Ian in the running but quiet in the final.
On basis probably Corofin player I think the following are contenders for player of the year.
Fitzy,Kieran McGrath,Conor Cunningham,Mike Farragher,Ronan Steede(up to semi final ??),Jason Leonard,Lundy (if you ignore first 2 games) and Ian Burke(quiet in the final)
My bet is on a defender and a toss up after that."
Liam Silke has played some serious football this year. He gave Michael Daly a very difficult afternoon on Sunday.

EDH (Galway) - Posts: 328 - 18/10/2017 18:10:17    2056070

Link

Replying To EDH:  "Liam Silke has played some serious football this year. He gave Michael Daly a very difficult afternoon on Sunday."
Liam Silke has been anonymous this year and goes missing for the majority of games to be fair he kept Daly quiet in the final but how good is Daly good under 21 player but has a lot to learn and is a bit over hyped in my opinion

Fox.1n.7he.b0x (Galway) - Posts: 26 - 23/10/2017 22:03:15    2057384

Link

Replying To Fox.1n.7he.b0x:  "Liam Silke has been anonymous this year and goes missing for the majority of games to be fair he kept Daly quiet in the final but how good is Daly good under 21 player but has a lot to learn and is a bit over hyped in my opinion"
Liam Silke was one of Corofin's most important and impressive players this year, he's a constant target for kick outs and he's a great link man between defence and attack, don't agree that he was anonymous at all.

GalwayLurker (Galway) - Posts: 77 - 23/10/2017 22:30:56    2057393

Link

Without a doubt footballer of year in Galway any grade Shane Walsh no contest and I'm not from kilkerrin / clonberne

Kickitout (Galway) - Posts: 338 - 23/10/2017 22:34:51    2057398

Link

Replying To Kickitout:  "Without a doubt footballer of year in Galway any grade Shane Walsh no contest and I'm not from kilkerrin / clonberne"
Thatd be for intermediate and rightly so.
But who for the senior accolade? Conor Cunningham a shoe in at 6 i reckon.
Barry Mchugh 14?
opinions?

galwayman98 (Galway) - Posts: 10 - 24/10/2017 13:12:49    2057519

Link

Team released tonight for anyone wondering:
Brian Donzella
Anthony Pender Fitz Kerin
Kieran molloy Conor Cunningham Paul Donnelley
Trevor Mullins Bergin
Jason Leonard Ciaran Duggan Dylan Wall
Ian Burke Barry Mchugh Frankie Burke

Any thoughts? Surprises?

galwayman98 (Galway) - Posts: 10 - 09/11/2017 20:27:17    2061473

Link

Replying To galwayman98:  "Team released tonight for anyone wondering:
Brian Donzella
Anthony Pender Fitz Kerin
Kieran molloy Conor Cunningham Paul Donnelley
Trevor Mullins Bergin
Jason Leonard Ciaran Duggan Dylan Wall
Ian Burke Barry Mchugh Frankie Burke

Any thoughts? Surprises?"
Should be more Mountbellya/Moylough lads on it, they hav had a super year for such a young team.

BigNualaBurke (Galway) - Posts: 77 - 09/11/2017 21:16:29    2061487

Link

Replying To BigNualaBurke:  "Should be more Mountbellya/Moylough lads on it, they hav had a super year for such a young team."
Mountbellew Moylough were beaten twice in the championship, wouldn't call that a super year. Liam Silke is a bit unlucky not to be named, Ronan Steede has been good the last few games but missed a couple of rounds at the start so probably fair enough that he didn't get it.

GalwayLurker (Galway) - Posts: 77 - 09/11/2017 22:49:36    2061509

Link

Replying To GalwayLurker:  "Liam Silke was one of Corofin's most important and impressive players this year, he's a constant target for kick outs and he's a great link man between defence and attack, don't agree that he was anonymous at all."
Must have been a bit anonymous no team of the year for him,he's had a poor year so both with galway and corofin

Fox.1n.7he.b0x (Galway) - Posts: 26 - 11/11/2017 22:36:41    2061760

Link

Replying To Fox.1n.7he.b0x:  "Must have been a bit anonymous no team of the year for him,he's had a poor year so both with galway and corofin"
Liam Silke should have got a Galway Star, he marked all the opposing teams main scoring forwards Cortoons main man Varley, Moycullens Pater Cooke twice, Salthill's Evan Murphy, Annaghdown's main man Comer except when they moved him into full forward, he destroyed Michael Daly even though he carried a hamstring injury in the county final. Now read any forum and the men that are supposed to save Galway forward play are Cooke, Murphy, Comer........ young Stack was giving Corofin serious trouble today, guess what they put Liam Silke on him and that finished young Stack till Brigids moved him to Kieran Molloy. Some strange decisions with the Galway stars. Annaghadown keeper should have got one, Molloy is a big surprise did he get it for his U21 performances? He was poor against Salthill and Annaghdown after returning from the states and Mountbellew did'nt give him much to do. Bergin got a sympathetic one in the middle, Duggan should have got it with Mike Farragher at centre forward. But sure it is all about opinions.

EDH (Galway) - Posts: 328 - 12/11/2017 17:46:09    2061866

Link

Replying To EDH:  "Liam Silke should have got a Galway Star, he marked all the opposing teams main scoring forwards Cortoons main man Varley, Moycullens Pater Cooke twice, Salthill's Evan Murphy, Annaghdown's main man Comer except when they moved him into full forward, he destroyed Michael Daly even though he carried a hamstring injury in the county final. Now read any forum and the men that are supposed to save Galway forward play are Cooke, Murphy, Comer........ young Stack was giving Corofin serious trouble today, guess what they put Liam Silke on him and that finished young Stack till Brigids moved him to Kieran Molloy. Some strange decisions with the Galway stars. Annaghadown keeper should have got one, Molloy is a big surprise did he get it for his U21 performances? He was poor against Salthill and Annaghdown after returning from the states and Mountbellew did'nt give him much to do. Bergin got a sympathetic one in the middle, Duggan should have got it with Mike Farragher at centre forward. But sure it is all about opinions."
Still don't agree with you about Silke he is far off where he was when they won the all Ireland, would agree that duggan should have got one thought he had a great year, as for Molloy such an overrated player can do one great thing followed by 10 bad ones headless at times should never have gotten one either

Fox.1n.7he.b0x (Galway) - Posts: 26 - 12/11/2017 21:46:56    2061947

Link

Replying To Fox.1n.7he.b0x:  "Still don't agree with you about Silke he is far off where he was when they won the all Ireland, would agree that duggan should have got one thought he had a great year, as for Molloy such an overrated player can do one great thing followed by 10 bad ones headless at times should never have gotten one either"
There you are Mr Fox, Liam Silke again the main man. What a performance.

EDH (Galway) - Posts: 328 - 26/11/2017 17:08:44    2063617

Link