Galway Forum

Galway vs Wexford (hurling)

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To TouchOfClass:  "Mullane's take on Galway pre QFinals 2017

Their consistency has been questioned in the past but the Tribesmen are unbeaten since losing to Wexford in the league in February.
That tells me there's something different about them this year. The bookies have them as All-Ireland favourites and while they've secured two trophies already this year, their focus is very much on Liam MacCarthy.

Seasonal setbacks: Injuries to Paul Killeen and Cathal Mannion, although the latter is on target for an All-Ireland semi-final recovery.
Reasons to be cheerful: Physical power, strength and balance. They're primed to go all the way and led by a tactically astute manager in Micheál Donoghue.

They have two top-class man-markers in Adrian Tuohy and Daithi Burke, and they'll need them at the business end of the season.
Where they're weak: I still think they're one or two guys short in defence.

**********************************************************************************
Fair commentary, can see Greg Lally having a major last 20 minute impact at Semi-Final stage, Cathal Mannion likely to rip Croke Park to shreds but that could be said of Cooney x 2, Niall Burke, Whelan, Flynn not to mention Canning"
Flynn is not in good form at the moment even for his club so an impact sub at best. Should be replaced by Mannion the next day.

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2261 - 15/07/2017 12:42:19    2016869

Link

Replying To tommy k:  "Flynn is not in good form at the moment even for his club so an impact sub at best. Should be replaced by Mannion the next day."
saw Flynn for Larkin's versus Craughwell, lost by 10 odd points but crazy last 10 minutes of 1st half conceding 3 goals (I think) was the difference at the end - Flynn best hurler by far on Larkin's team, easily a better player than Monaghan for Craughwell, his goals destroyed Tipp, has that ability that Cathal Mannion doesn't to beat his man, get's into great positions, needs better support - but - will not start the semi-final if the other 6 are fit n healthy - thrives in Croke Park and against Tipperary - prefer to be looking at him than looking for him.

TouchOfClass (Galway) - Posts: 730 - 16/07/2017 10:47:33    2017354

Link

Replying To TouchOfClass:  "saw Flynn for Larkin's versus Craughwell, lost by 10 odd points but crazy last 10 minutes of 1st half conceding 3 goals (I think) was the difference at the end - Flynn best hurler by far on Larkin's team, easily a better player than Monaghan for Craughwell, his goals destroyed Tipp, has that ability that Cathal Mannion doesn't to beat his man, get's into great positions, needs better support - but - will not start the semi-final if the other 6 are fit n healthy - thrives in Croke Park and against Tipperary - prefer to be looking at him than looking for him."

clubtalk (Galway) - Posts: 51 - 16/07/2017 14:18:27    2017424

Link

Replying To TouchOfClass:  "saw Flynn for Larkin's versus Craughwell, lost by 10 odd points but crazy last 10 minutes of 1st half conceding 3 goals (I think) was the difference at the end - Flynn best hurler by far on Larkin's team, easily a better player than Monaghan for Craughwell, his goals destroyed Tipp, has that ability that Cathal Mannion doesn't to beat his man, get's into great positions, needs better support - but - will not start the semi-final if the other 6 are fit n healthy - thrives in Croke Park and against Tipperary - prefer to be looking at him than looking for him."

clubtalk (Galway) - Posts: 51 - 16/07/2017 14:19:02    2017425

Link

Replying To clubtalk:  ""

clubtalk (Galway) - Posts: 51 - 16/07/2017 16:15:25    2017472

Link

its not fair to compare monaghan to Flynn its monaghans first year in with co seniors Flynn has been in there 4 years and watching tommys v craughwell senior club game mchugo was tommys best player on day if u judging club games eanna burke would start

clubtalk (Galway) - Posts: 51 - 16/07/2017 17:25:18    2017510

Link

Some players are not conditioned to be 'impact subs' though. Its not in their makeup. Some are. Its about the best use of the resources you have. Some lads come off the bench and have little or no impact at all as they cant get into the rhythm of the game until its too late, or not at all.

Niall Burke for e.g. is the best example of an 'impact sub' we have, does all his work in the second half of games, makes an impression almost every time he comes off the bench. First half? Might as well be in the stand watching.

Whether Flynn or Mannion starts depends on the tactical plan we have upfront which will differ depending whether we face Tipperary or Clare.

Personally given the choice i would start both with Burke to come in to finish the game as we can rely on him to carry on or increase the performance level which you couldnt always accuse him of when he starts. A good player and a big asset to the team though, it must be said.

Stool Pigeon (Galway) - Posts: 441 - 18/07/2017 15:40:26    2018728

Link

Replying To Stool Pigeon:  "Some players are not conditioned to be 'impact subs' though. Its not in their makeup. Some are. Its about the best use of the resources you have. Some lads come off the bench and have little or no impact at all as they cant get into the rhythm of the game until its too late, or not at all.

Niall Burke for e.g. is the best example of an 'impact sub' we have, does all his work in the second half of games, makes an impression almost every time he comes off the bench. First half? Might as well be in the stand watching.

Whether Flynn or Mannion starts depends on the tactical plan we have upfront which will differ depending whether we face Tipperary or Clare.

Personally given the choice i would start both with Burke to come in to finish the game as we can rely on him to carry on or increase the performance level which you couldnt always accuse him of when he starts. A good player and a big asset to the team though, it must be said."
isn't it great - we may hit an off-form day between now and September and end up with nothing - but isn't it great to have to choose between these - Whelan and Mannion and Cooney and Cooney and Flynn and Niall Burke and Canning and Monaghan and Maloney and Brehony

now or never, sh1t or bust, reminds me a lot of 1987, we had lost so much in 1985/6, it didn't matter anymore, it had to be done and it seemed we could lift it whenever the need arose and we could choose between Ryan and Lane and Cunningham and McGrath and Naughton and Lynskey and Cooney and Burke - perhaps we are better in 2017?

TouchOfClass (Galway) - Posts: 730 - 19/07/2017 00:46:17    2019026

Link

Replying To TouchOfClass:  "isn't it great - we may hit an off-form day between now and September and end up with nothing - but isn't it great to have to choose between these - Whelan and Mannion and Cooney and Cooney and Flynn and Niall Burke and Canning and Monaghan and Maloney and Brehony

now or never, sh1t or bust, reminds me a lot of 1987, we had lost so much in 1985/6, it didn't matter anymore, it had to be done and it seemed we could lift it whenever the need arose and we could choose between Ryan and Lane and Cunningham and McGrath and Naughton and Lynskey and Cooney and Burke - perhaps we are better in 2017?"
MD will have the team playing close enough to its potential. I think now its down to the hurling gods, if we stay injury free, get a few ref calls/ non calls we might dare dream. Feels a bit like 1980.....

Galway4ever (Galway) - Posts: 81 - 20/07/2017 18:56:10    2020188

Link

Feels like 2017. I was young and fit in 1980!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SixtiesKid (Galway) - Posts: 118 - 20/07/2017 19:23:55    2020198

Link

Replying To clubtalk:  ""
If u want to judge county players on club form Eanna burke would be on galway team ahead of David or Conor cooney judging thomases v portumna game last weekend I saw Tommy's v craughwell game and mchugo was best player Tommy's had it not fair to judge Thomas monogram against jayo Flynn coz this is his first year in with county seniors Flynn has been there 4yrs now jayo playin with no confidence so it hard to see him start ahead of mannion in semi final

clubtalk (Galway) - Posts: 51 - 22/07/2017 09:50:32    2020793

Link