USA Forum

NY GAA 2017

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Who would be a good manager who can make quick decisions and have team flying fit?

standman99 (Offaly) - Posts: 72 - 08/05/2017 13:15:14    1985188

Link

Replying To rossie12:  "Yes if you weren't at the game you'd think NY were great but in reality Sligo should have been up 7-8 at half time. They seemed devoid of a system of play. Let's be honest that was an average Sligo team held together by a few old heads. Some of the subs were baffling. How did Scally remain on the bench. Cleaned midfield too. Probably time to look for a new management again. Can't let lasts years performance against Roscommon cloud the vision. I see our board had the park humming yesterday. What an embarrassment."
Problem is that they have to have at least 15 players on panel from previous year. We only had 5 of last years team that almost beat Roscommon. Sutcliff and company are great to have but there only here for one year so no goid long term. We need to build a solid base of players. It's definitely time for a new management team as there two years are up anyway but let's not knock them. They have instilled hope and faith back into NY football. So let's look forwards not backwards.

Crossgaa (Mayo) - Posts: 532 - 08/05/2017 14:01:56    1985197

Link

Replying To standman99:  "Who would be a good manager who can make quick decisions and have team flying fit?"
STANDMAN, there's only one man in New York able to take the team up to the next level and that's Mickey Coleman. By the way what happened with Westmeath!!!

hawkeye2002 (Tyrone) - Posts: 21 - 08/05/2017 14:29:44    1985207

Link

Are there more Shane Hogan's coming up through the minor board? Fine footballer and if New York can build a solid base of home grown players it would serve them well in regard to decreased turnover each year.. should be more than one American in the squad

KerryExile14 (USA) - Posts: 1 - 08/05/2017 16:25:36    1985238

Link

If the big money boys invested more in New York rather the the crazy $$$$ on there own clubs we'd be better off....there is more spent by one club than probably the whole New York set up! But to be fair this management have had the best group of players yet and still couldn't get over the line...leitrim next year and hopefully new players and management .

johnjoe1 (Kerry) - Posts: 35 - 08/05/2017 16:48:06    1985246

Link

Yesterday was not a great day.. will O halloran get the opportunity to stay on for another year? Personally I think the only man who can bring New York GAA to the summit is Ian Galvin. During his tenure he got his players the bring pride back into the jersey and to a level of fitness Jim Gavin would be proud of. He was just unlucky that it was a good Mayo team he faced. His hunger for the game is what this team needs and without it we will never get there..

3for10 (Cavan) - Posts: 2 - 08/05/2017 16:56:28    1985249

Link

Justin and his team have moved New York massively in last two years. It's no longer considered a facile contest from New York players and teams competing against them.
So to bring up galvin and Coleman is silly.

They've been there before and had yes it was mayo and Galway but still think Justin's team should continue for sure.
As regards Irish Americans, bar Shane hogan who got a nice point, and struggled a bit yesterday is a great player. I'm afraid after that there wasn't good enough players to make the panel.
If Shane carthy was still here he would definitely feature.
Sutcliffe showed his pure athleticism yesterday.
Magnificent in the air.
I thought too many experienced players who have lived here a few years didn't get playing and should have. Scally, mc ginley (two mins)and lamb didn't feature. Three ex Captains. They would have showed a bIt more pride.
Most new fellas didn't impress me at all.
Mc graynor, o connor, Gallagher weren't at the races. But still it's a learning experience.
Great to see Enda Williams on the line.
Love to see him take New York one day.

Mayohead (Mayo) - Posts: 4 - 08/05/2017 18:33:44    1985276

Link

Replying To Mayohead:  "Justin and his team have moved New York massively in last two years. It's no longer considered a facile contest from New York players and teams competing against them.
So to bring up galvin and Coleman is silly.

They've been there before and had yes it was mayo and Galway but still think Justin's team should continue for sure.
As regards Irish Americans, bar Shane hogan who got a nice point, and struggled a bit yesterday is a great player. I'm afraid after that there wasn't good enough players to make the panel.
If Shane carthy was still here he would definitely feature.
Sutcliffe showed his pure athleticism yesterday.
Magnificent in the air.
I thought too many experienced players who have lived here a few years didn't get playing and should have. Scally, mc ginley (two mins)and lamb didn't feature. Three ex Captains. They would have showed a bIt more pride.
Most new fellas didn't impress me at all.
Mc graynor, o connor, Gallagher weren't at the races. But still it's a learning experience.
Great to see Enda Williams on the line.
Love to see him take New York one day."
I think s hogan played ok after a shaky start. His point settled him down.mistakes are bound to happen your first year. But is this all the minor board has to offer after years and years of hard work. Surely there must be a few more who could be on the team. If cJ Molloy was here he'd be a dead cert and in fact ic he was here last Sunday at center forward we might have a different result.

Crossgaa (Mayo) - Posts: 532 - 09/05/2017 10:40:14    1985406

Link

CJ is a prime example of how the money Donegal throw at transfers is ruining the local game, for American players and home based.

NYCcavanman (USA) - Posts: 202 - 09/05/2017 13:19:38    1985464

Link

Replying To Crossgaa:  "I think s hogan played ok after a shaky start. His point settled him down.mistakes are bound to happen your first year. But is this all the minor board has to offer after years and years of hard work. Surely there must be a few more who could be on the team. If cJ Molloy was here he'd be a dead cert and in fact ic he was here last Sunday at center forward we might have a different result."
I'll have whatever you're smoking bud.

grassroots14 (Sligo) - Posts: 94 - 09/05/2017 13:57:55    1985470

Link

Replying To Crossgaa:  "I think s hogan played ok after a shaky start. His point settled him down.mistakes are bound to happen your first year. But is this all the minor board has to offer after years and years of hard work. Surely there must be a few more who could be on the team. If cJ Molloy was here he'd be a dead cert and in fact ic he was here last Sunday at center forward we might have a different result."
What planet are you on Crossgaa !

bealamena (Sligo) - Posts: 40 - 09/05/2017 14:57:49    1985486

Link

I'll also take what ever you are smoking!!!! S hogan taken off changed entire game structure. Goal scored immediately and then point after point scored by Sligo. Every player out there made at least one mistake during the game. They said on radio he did great midfield so not sure who you want to bring in or up thru the ranks right now. He is a credit to all Americans playing the game. i will agree would love to see more New York players on the panel but im with the majority S Hogan had a blast of a game for the youngest on the panel. CJ was on panel many years but we did not win those years either so I am not sure what superstar you think is coming up thru the ranks right now but S Hogan is a credit to his club and the minor board.

Nygaasupporter (USA) - Posts: 2 - 09/05/2017 16:07:25    1985503

Link

Nope. I'm afraid hogan is the only player of caliber to play for New York . Period.
And Molly 11? Cmon. If anywhere maybe 14.
The New York is significantly better than when Cj played in 2013. No chance my friend.

Mayohead (Mayo) - Posts: 4 - 09/05/2017 23:00:28    1985568

Link

Is Stephen McBrearty coming to New York? All the articles just say US. They dont mention anywhere specific.

TakeyourPoint. (Tyrone) - Posts: 120 - 11/05/2017 16:52:38    1986010

Link

presume the park is not closing now as it was originally rumored it would close after the Sligo game, but games have been going ahead as scheduled....

NYCcavanman (USA) - Posts: 202 - 17/05/2017 16:04:54    1987603

Link

Replying To NYCcavanman:  "presume the park is not closing now as it was originally rumored it would close after the Sligo game, but games have been going ahead as scheduled...."
All matches after Sunday have been scraped for the time being. Manhattan College is ripping the sod up starting Monday. Still no word from NY Senior Board about league finals or championship start times. Rockland GAA have it up on their Facebook page a whole schedule of matches into June. Very confusing what is going on.

NarrowBack914 (USA) - Posts: 173 - 18/05/2017 13:16:44    1987913

Link

Replying To NarrowBack914:  "All matches after Sunday have been scraped for the time being. Manhattan College is ripping the sod up starting Monday. Still no word from NY Senior Board about league finals or championship start times. Rockland GAA have it up on their Facebook page a whole schedule of matches into June. Very confusing what is going on."
absolutely crazy. how do you get to rockland without a car? from the city or queens? I have no idea.

NYCcavanman (USA) - Posts: 202 - 18/05/2017 14:28:57    1987965

Link

The NY Board was notified in 2016 that the carpet in Gaelic Park would be replaced after the Ladies softball season ended in May 2017. Their season ended on May 12, 2017. The College is on schedule with their project and are obviously much better organized and professional than the GAA. According to reports circulating the GAA Officers have had two meetings with head of the Manhattan Athletic Dept. since she assumed the position in 2016. All dealings were with an Assistant by all accounts, who is no longer involved with the College.

Gaa Fan (USA) - Posts: 484 - 18/05/2017 19:27:37    1988078

Link

Replying To Gaa Fan:  "The NY Board was notified in 2016 that the carpet in Gaelic Park would be replaced after the Ladies softball season ended in May 2017. Their season ended on May 12, 2017. The College is on schedule with their project and are obviously much better organized and professional than the GAA. According to reports circulating the GAA Officers have had two meetings with head of the Manhattan Athletic Dept. since she assumed the position in 2016. All dealings were with an Assistant by all accounts, who is no longer involved with the College."
this doesn't really tell us much....

NYCcavanman (USA) - Posts: 202 - 18/05/2017 21:01:27    1988114

Link

Replying To NYCcavanman:  "this doesn't really tell us much...."
Bottom line. Be prepared to travel to Rockland for 2 months. We all talk about having our own grounds do this will be a taste of that. Gaelic Park has everyone spoiled.
Fair play to Rockland for helping out. From what I hear they have a state of art facility.

Crossgaa (Mayo) - Posts: 532 - 19/05/2017 16:03:55    1988385

Link