USA Forum

NY GAA 2017

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I see on the website the Senior football and Junior hurling finals have been scheduled but nothing about Inter, Junior A or B. The schedule is only for the next 10 days so you'd think the Senior Board would want to make the schedule for playoffs fairly soon.

NarrowBack914 (USA) - Posts: 173 - 05/09/2017 14:14:38    2042983

Link

Replying To NarrowBack914:  "I see on the website the Senior football and Junior hurling finals have been scheduled but nothing about Inter, Junior A or B. The schedule is only for the next 10 days so you'd think the Senior Board would want to make the schedule for playoffs fairly soon."
Monaghan will be hard to beat on Sunday. Going for 2 in a row. Put up a big score against a good Kerry team. Who are you picking for the senior title?

hawkeye2002 (Tyrone) - Posts: 21 - 05/09/2017 15:38:48    2043024

Link

Replying To hawkeye2002:  "Monaghan will be hard to beat on Sunday. Going for 2 in a row. Put up a big score against a good Kerry team. Who are you picking for the senior title?"
Yes Monaghan looked good sunday, one of the most exciting games in the park in years. I think they were 7 down with 5 mins to go and came back to win! they look good up front but pretty bad at the back. they won't get as much space against Donegal.

looks like junior is going to run well into October as the remaining regular season games will be going on until end of sept.

NYCcavanman (USA) - Posts: 202 - 05/09/2017 16:23:53    2043050

Link

Replying To hawkeye2002:  "Monaghan will be hard to beat on Sunday. Going for 2 in a row. Put up a big score against a good Kerry team. Who are you picking for the senior title?"
You're right hawkeye, Monaghan will be very tough to beat. There is definitely no love loss between Donegal and Monaghan, so could be a hard fought win. I'll take Monaghan by a point. Who do you like in the other divisions so far?

NarrowBack914 (USA) - Posts: 173 - 05/09/2017 16:32:33    2043058

Link

Replying To NYCcavanman:  "Yes Monaghan looked good sunday, one of the most exciting games in the park in years. I think they were 7 down with 5 mins to go and came back to win! they look good up front but pretty bad at the back. they won't get as much space against Donegal.

looks like junior is going to run well into October as the remaining regular season games will be going on until end of sept."
The final will be a tighter game. Monaghan set up last year with 15 men behind the ball. should be a more open game this year.

Juniors now a bit of a disaster with the students all away home. Teams not fielding. I guess they drag the juniors out so they can keep the park and bar going!!!

hawkeye2002 (Tyrone) - Posts: 21 - 05/09/2017 16:48:24    2043066

Link

Replying To NYCcavanman:  "Yes Monaghan looked good sunday, one of the most exciting games in the park in years. I think they were 7 down with 5 mins to go and came back to win! they look good up front but pretty bad at the back. they won't get as much space against Donegal.

looks like junior is going to run well into October as the remaining regular season games will be going on until end of sept."
The final will be a tighter game. Monaghan set up last year with 15 men behind the ball. should be a more open game this year.

Juniors now a bit of a disaster with the students all away home. Teams not fielding. I guess they drag the juniors out so they can keep the park and bar going!!!

hawkeye2002 (Tyrone) - Posts: 21 - 05/09/2017 17:05:30    2043077

Link

Replying To NarrowBack914:  "You're right hawkeye, Monaghan will be very tough to beat. There is definitely no love loss between Donegal and Monaghan, so could be a hard fought win. I'll take Monaghan by a point. Who do you like in the other divisions so far?"
I will take Monaghan by 3 in the final. Too much fire power upfront. Donegal just don't score much.
Intermediate- Sligo.
Junior A- It will be Cork by a mile.
Junior B- Rangers. Hopefully a Rangers V Celtics final.
The senior and intermediate divisions need to combine next year. 3 teams in senior is a joke.

hawkeye2002 (Tyrone) - Posts: 21 - 05/09/2017 17:11:32    2043081

Link

Last thing Donegal wanted was to meet Monaghan in the final. Donegal tried marching out their own referee last week but it wasn't enough. I'd say Monaghan by 3 Sunday

bleedfootball (USA) - Posts: 139 - 06/09/2017 14:42:52    2043454

Link

Replying To bleedfootball:  "Last thing Donegal wanted was to meet Monaghan in the final. Donegal tried marching out their own referee last week but it wasn't enough. I'd say Monaghan by 3 Sunday"
What do you mean by marching out their own referee. Ladies bring their own referee but senior men's final always was done by home base refs. Down the years we had Jones. Fahey. Mc Grath and Fitzpatrick. In my opinion they all did a reasonable job.
I'll have to go with Donegal. Better balanced team overall and will want to make amends for last year. Should be a decent game.

Crossgaa (Mayo) - Posts: 532 - 06/09/2017 15:28:54    2043480

Link

Replying To Crossgaa:  "What do you mean by marching out their own referee. Ladies bring their own referee but senior men's final always was done by home base refs. Down the years we had Jones. Fahey. Mc Grath and Fitzpatrick. In my opinion they all did a reasonable job.
I'll have to go with Donegal. Better balanced team overall and will want to make amends for last year. Should be a decent game."
Monaghan will take it. I believe Fitz will have his work cut out in the first 15 minutes. If he can stamp his authority on it then it will be a decent game.
expect to see McNeilis from Donegal being double marked. Donegal's other big guns have yet to preform. Keith Quinn is still the driving force behind the team. Monaghan do have the goal scorers and should get a few past the Donegal keeper. I will stick my neck out and say Monaghan 3-7 Donegal 1-12.

hawkeye2002 (Tyrone) - Posts: 21 - 06/09/2017 16:50:15    2043514

Link

Replying To hawkeye2002:  "Monaghan will take it. I believe Fitz will have his work cut out in the first 15 minutes. If he can stamp his authority on it then it will be a decent game.
expect to see McNeilis from Donegal being double marked. Donegal's other big guns have yet to preform. Keith Quinn is still the driving force behind the team. Monaghan do have the goal scorers and should get a few past the Donegal keeper. I will stick my neck out and say Monaghan 3-7 Donegal 1-12."
A player on the donegal panel reffed the semi final and gave every call against Monaghan. We shOwed the grit of a champion and got 6 goals.
The Monaghan forwards will be too much to handle come Sunday. Cant see donegal scoring enough to keep up. MonaghanNYabu!!

bleedfootball (USA) - Posts: 139 - 06/09/2017 18:41:51    2043562

Link

County final today boys, who's going to take the crown> Donegal have been playing strong but are their backs strong enough for Monaghans forwards? It will be a gritty tough match with not much in it at the final whistle. I'd say Monaghan by 2 but could go either way.

NarrowBack914 (USA) - Posts: 173 - 10/09/2017 13:42:29    2044612

Link

Replying To NarrowBack914:  "County final today boys, who's going to take the crown> Donegal have been playing strong but are their backs strong enough for Monaghans forwards? It will be a gritty tough match with not much in it at the final whistle. I'd say Monaghan by 2 but could go either way."
Very poor county final in general. Congrats to Donegal who without doubt were the best team. Monaghan tried rough play but did them more harm than good. They had no answer to Mc neilus when he moved out. Great display by him.
Should be great games coming up now on other divisions.
I still pick Brooklyn. Rockland ( maybe Barnabas) and Celtics in B.

Crossgaa (Mayo) - Posts: 532 - 11/09/2017 16:22:10    2044983

Link

The better team won on the day. Monaghan had a few goal chances that didn't go there way. Didn't know McVerry was back out and he solidified the donegal forward line. Fair play

bleedfootball (USA) - Posts: 139 - 13/09/2017 19:56:19    2045774

Link

Well the season is almost over: shock result Sunday in Junior B with Offaly beating Manhattan by a point. 7 pts down with 4 mins to go then 3 points down with minute left to pull it out. Celtics better be up for the match Sunday. Also Intermediate semi on this Sunday, Sligo should prevail. Who does everyone like for the 2 semis? I think Celtics have that bit more and will win by a few points. I cant see past Sligo winning out Inters so think theyll win with a few to spare.

NarrowBack914 (USA) - Posts: 173 - 19/09/2017 12:24:22    2048012

Link

Replying To NarrowBack914:  "Well the season is almost over: shock result Sunday in Junior B with Offaly beating Manhattan by a point. 7 pts down with 4 mins to go then 3 points down with minute left to pull it out. Celtics better be up for the match Sunday. Also Intermediate semi on this Sunday, Sligo should prevail. Who does everyone like for the 2 semis? I think Celtics have that bit more and will win by a few points. I cant see past Sligo winning out Inters so think theyll win with a few to spare."
Ofally sprung another surprise Sunday beating hot favorites Celtics. They have a very experienced panel with Foley. Donavan and Kelly. Their free taker was also excellent but they have a belief now and will be hard stopped in final.
Sligo looked decent yesterday angainst a ok Ranger team that had upset Mayo earlier in week.
Intermediate is too close to call.

Crossgaa (Mayo) - Posts: 532 - 25/09/2017 13:32:31    2050302

Link

Agree it is going to be an exciting finish to intermediate. The three best teams are left with sligo already booked for the final. I

Patsy1916 (USA) - Posts: 136 - 26/09/2017 19:03:49    2050766

Link

Replying To Crossgaa:  "Ofally sprung another surprise Sunday beating hot favorites Celtics. They have a very experienced panel with Foley. Donavan and Kelly. Their free taker was also excellent but they have a belief now and will be hard stopped in final.
Sligo looked decent yesterday angainst a ok Ranger team that had upset Mayo earlier in week.
Intermediate is too close to call."
Yeah Cross, Offaly upset the Celtics. From what i saw, it was a scrappy enough match. The penalty at the end was wrong with the man fouled a good bit outside the box. Mike Reilly was the ref and lost total control of the match. Loads of fouls that just weren't called. Young McGeeney got cleaned with an elbow and looked out for the count and the ref had the gall to call a free against him. Mind boggling. Plus talking to a few of the players afterwards, he told them if anyone touched Jason Kelly for the assault on McGeeney he was giving them a straight red. Where do they get these people from, refs are supposed to be neutral and fair. Inters looked good, like i said before i cant see anyone beating Sligo, just to organized and talented this year. They have good people running the club too. Will be interesting to see who will face them. Many expected Mayo to beat Rangers in quarters, so its all to play for anyway.

NarrowBack914 (USA) - Posts: 173 - 27/09/2017 12:33:30    2050976

Link

Barnabas hold off Dublin last night to play Rockland while Mahattan blow-out Donegal to play Cork in this weeks Jnr A finals.

whistler (USA) - Posts: 103 - 27/09/2017 12:42:47    2050982

Link

Replying To NarrowBack914:  "Yeah Cross, Offaly upset the Celtics. From what i saw, it was a scrappy enough match. The penalty at the end was wrong with the man fouled a good bit outside the box. Mike Reilly was the ref and lost total control of the match. Loads of fouls that just weren't called. Young McGeeney got cleaned with an elbow and looked out for the count and the ref had the gall to call a free against him. Mind boggling. Plus talking to a few of the players afterwards, he told them if anyone touched Jason Kelly for the assault on McGeeney he was giving them a straight red. Where do they get these people from, refs are supposed to be neutral and fair. Inters looked good, like i said before i cant see anyone beating Sligo, just to organized and talented this year. They have good people running the club too. Will be interesting to see who will face them. Many expected Mayo to beat Rangers in quarters, so its all to play for anyway."
Sligo look good enough but after Ofally beating Celtics I'd say anything is possible. Brooklyn might beat Longford but Sligo will be best equipped for senior in 18.
Junior A should be the winners of Rockland/ Barnabas but Cork not bad either. After all they played senior last season.
Junior B could go to Rangers now but the Ofally boys might pull a third shock off.

What do you see structurally for next year?

Crossgaa (Mayo) - Posts: 532 - 27/09/2017 19:15:58    2051127

Link