USA Forum

NY GAA 2017

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Agree. Rays are down a bit the table. Longford/Westmeath and cork/Barnabas games called off last night. I heard cork and Westmeath had no teams or interest in trying to field teams. Unfortunately it's the people that go to watch these games that get hurt the most and then give up totally on the GAA.

Crossgaa (Mayo) - Posts: 532 - 10/08/2017 11:26:00    2031910

Link

Replying To Crossgaa:  "Agree. Rays are down a bit the table. Longford/Westmeath and cork/Barnabas games called off last night. I heard cork and Westmeath had no teams or interest in trying to field teams. Unfortunately it's the people that go to watch these games that get hurt the most and then give up totally on the GAA."
Yeah i heard that too Cross and i see Donegal senior match is off the schedule for today, anyone know why? Its very bad if at this stage of the season, teams are not showing for matches. Good matches last night. Friday's matches in hurling was a walkover, football saw Celtics beat Rockland in Junior B. Was talking to a few people who made it up Friday night and they said Rockland played a few of their Intermediate players, how is that possible? Well it didn't seem to help them anyway.

NarrowBack914 (USA) - Posts: 173 - 13/08/2017 12:54:50    2032721

Link

Replying To Crossgaa:  "Agree. Rays are down a bit the table. Longford/Westmeath and cork/Barnabas games called off last night. I heard cork and Westmeath had no teams or interest in trying to field teams. Unfortunately it's the people that go to watch these games that get hurt the most and then give up totally on the GAA."
I do not understand how the NY system works. Cork v Barnabas game was called off and Cork back yesterday to defeat Dublin. Kerry v Brooklyn called off and Kerry back yesterday to draw with Leitrim. Armagh v Rockland called off and Armagh back to play Manhattan. Barnabas v Donegal game called of today. Westmeath v Longford game called off. Will all these games be rescheduled?
Going the way of Philadelphia where the senior final is being played today. Only two senior teams there anyway and Philly will not send a team to the NAB finals in San Fran. Neither will Boston.
All the cities in the NAB brought players and did not bother building clubs. It was all about winning. Does sound familiar?

Gaa Fan (USA) - Posts: 490 - 13/08/2017 15:11:59    2032761

Link

Replying To Gaa Fan:  "I do not understand how the NY system works. Cork v Barnabas game was called off and Cork back yesterday to defeat Dublin. Kerry v Brooklyn called off and Kerry back yesterday to draw with Leitrim. Armagh v Rockland called off and Armagh back to play Manhattan. Barnabas v Donegal game called of today. Westmeath v Longford game called off. Will all these games be rescheduled?
Going the way of Philadelphia where the senior final is being played today. Only two senior teams there anyway and Philly will not send a team to the NAB finals in San Fran. Neither will Boston.
All the cities in the NAB brought players and did not bother building clubs. It was all about winning. Does sound familiar?"
Went to park yesterday and have to say worst schedule ever except for a fine u 21 final. Two games called off leaving this a total of 5 games called off in one week. What is going on ar what does the future hold???

Crossgaa (Mayo) - Posts: 532 - 14/08/2017 11:34:04    2033147

Link

Was in the park yesterday and the Donegal v Barnabas game was called off because the U-21 final was scheduled yesterday and Barnabas have a number of U-21 players on their senior team so that makes sense to me that the Senior game was called off no?? Agree Cross that with the Senior game called of it didn't leave much on the schedule but again Brooklyn and Mayo served up a very exciting game in the IFC. Brooklyn won by two points with a quick free which resulted in a goal in the last 90 seconds. Was up there saturday night aswell and the two IFC games were very competitive with Rangers beating Rockland by a point and Kerry Leitrim playing out a draw. Hard to undertstand how Kerry could not field the week before against Brooklyn because they looked strong enough - i guess because it was in Rockland.

Patsy1916 (USA) - Posts: 136 - 14/08/2017 14:21:23    2033274

Link

See where St. Barnabas and Cavan senior teams are missing from the upcoming schedule. Did both teams withdraw?

Gaa Fan (USA) - Posts: 490 - 16/08/2017 16:51:54    2034324

Link

Replying To Gaa Fan:  "See where St. Barnabas and Cavan senior teams are missing from the upcoming schedule. Did both teams withdraw?"
Sad to see two teams dropping out. What will happen next year. Looks like no senior football with the current trend.

Crossgaa (Mayo) - Posts: 532 - 16/08/2017 17:28:51    2034354

Link

Replying To Crossgaa:  "Sad to see two teams dropping out. What will happen next year. Looks like no senior football with the current trend."
where is the updated schedule? will barnabas senior players be able to play for their junior team?

NYCcavanman (USA) - Posts: 202 - 16/08/2017 19:32:34    2034410

Link

10 days left on the current schedule and no sign of a schedule from August 27th going forward. No thought for players and management who might want to possibly organize a vacation or organize family events as the summer comes to an end. Absolute disgrace that the scheduling committee give zero indication when playoffs might begin or finals might be played. Does not happen in any other jurisdiction.

Patsy1916 (USA) - Posts: 136 - 17/08/2017 16:38:50    2034776

Link

Replying To Patsy1916:  "10 days left on the current schedule and no sign of a schedule from August 27th going forward. No thought for players and management who might want to possibly organize a vacation or organize family events as the summer comes to an end. Absolute disgrace that the scheduling committee give zero indication when playoffs might begin or finals might be played. Does not happen in any other jurisdiction."
Yes just seen that also so that would be 3/4 way thru schedule. I can only imagine that intermediate and both junior divisional playoffs will be around 3 rd week of September. Finals would be early October. That's the way I see it. Must pundits expected this to happen this year with us renovating field.

Crossgaa (Mayo) - Posts: 532 - 19/08/2017 19:34:49    2035389

Link

Replying To Crossgaa:  "Yes just seen that also so that would be 3/4 way thru schedule. I can only imagine that intermediate and both junior divisional playoffs will be around 3 rd week of September. Finals would be early October. That's the way I see it. Must pundits expected this to happen this year with us renovating field."
The senior football on here in Boston tomorrow.
17 Intermediate games left to play in the NYB
21 Junior A games left.
18 Junior B games left.
Finals around the last Sunday in October I predict.

Gaa Fan (USA) - Posts: 490 - 19/08/2017 20:46:18    2035403

Link

Replying To Gaa Fan:  "The senior football on here in Boston tomorrow.
21 Junior A games left.
18 Junior B games left.
Finals around the last Sunday in October I predict."
Correction...The senior football FINAL is on here in Boston tomorrow.
21 Junior A games left.
18 Junior B games left.
Finals around the last Sunday in October I predict.

Gaa Fan (USA) - Posts: 490 - 19/08/2017 21:11:31    2035407

Link

Replying To Gaa Fan:  "Correction...The senior football FINAL is on here in Boston tomorrow.
21 Junior A games left.
18 Junior B games left.
Finals around the last Sunday in October I predict."
So you say 56 games left. Is that without playoffs?? 56 games will take a few weeks. Players are starting to leave town at the moment making it tough for teams to field full teams.
The future is looking very bleak indeed. Hope next year it improves and finals are in early August.

Crossgaa (Mayo) - Posts: 532 - 23/08/2017 11:30:34    2036692

Link

Replying To Crossgaa:  "So you say 56 games left. Is that without playoffs?? 56 games will take a few weeks. Players are starting to leave town at the moment making it tough for teams to field full teams.
The future is looking very bleak indeed. Hope next year it improves and finals are in early August."
All the better for the 'real clubs' in NY that are not relying on money and sanctions to survive so. although I see they are running off the senior finals very early. no harm in football late sept/early oct. not as hot for players. football in Ireland is still going on at this time. finals will never be completed early august.

NYCcavanman (USA) - Posts: 202 - 23/08/2017 15:52:42    2036832

Link

This board has been very quiet this football season so far. Has there ever been a year past where so many championship matches have NOT been played? I mean, throughout the schedule there are loads of teams that haven't showed for matches. Cant understand it, i can see in the league getting boys out so early in season is tough, but this is end of August....why are teams collapsing so soon? Who is everyones picks for the championship: Senior is going to be between Donegal and Monaghan - my pick is Donegal; Inter is tough with a few teams fighting it out - my pick is Sligo; Junior A has been very suprising for me with Rockland head of the pile - my pick Rockland; Junior B is basically a 2 horse race between Rangers and Celtics - my pick is Celtics.

NarrowBack914 (USA) - Posts: 173 - 29/08/2017 13:22:54    2040043

Link

Senior - Kerry
Intermediate - Brooklyn
Junior A - Cork
Junior B - Celtics

Patsy1916 (USA) - Posts: 136 - 29/08/2017 14:31:26    2040109

Link

Replying To Patsy1916:  "Senior - Kerry
Intermediate - Brooklyn
Junior A - Cork
Junior B - Celtics"
Patsy. You picks are close I would say. Only surprise might be Rockland or Barnabas for junior A.
But on a bigger note. It seems teams are falling apart fast and pulling out. Is it because of lack of players or bad organizational skills?

Crossgaa (Mayo) - Posts: 532 - 31/08/2017 12:58:45    2041127

Link

Replying To Crossgaa:  "Patsy. You picks are close I would say. Only surprise might be Rockland or Barnabas for junior A.
But on a bigger note. It seems teams are falling apart fast and pulling out. Is it because of lack of players or bad organizational skills?"
Cross in my mind if you do not have 17-18 players who can tog at anytime in the year are you really a football club? I understand that certain county associations want to keep the thing alive but if they really only have 8-10 home based players (sometimes less) what is being achieved. I have heard a lot lately of scheduling issues, irish based players going home because the summer is over, organizational change at the top etc with a whole host of remedies being offered. One think no one is saying and I truly believe this is the issue "There is too many club teams in NY". I have just counted 32 teams between the four divisions. If this could somehow be reduced to 24 teams across 3 divisions with 8 in each division I think teams would not struggle for players as much and the fixture issues would be negated. I know you cant tell clubs to amalgamate but to be honest if some of them don't they may disappear very soon.

Patsy1916 (USA) - Posts: 136 - 31/08/2017 14:37:56    2041178

Link

Replying To Patsy1916:  "Cross in my mind if you do not have 17-18 players who can tog at anytime in the year are you really a football club? I understand that certain county associations want to keep the thing alive but if they really only have 8-10 home based players (sometimes less) what is being achieved. I have heard a lot lately of scheduling issues, irish based players going home because the summer is over, organizational change at the top etc with a whole host of remedies being offered. One think no one is saying and I truly believe this is the issue "There is too many club teams in NY". I have just counted 32 teams between the four divisions. If this could somehow be reduced to 24 teams across 3 divisions with 8 in each division I think teams would not struggle for players as much and the fixture issues would be negated. I know you cant tell clubs to amalgamate but to be honest if some of them don't they may disappear very soon."
Teams that are struggling Tyrone. Armagh. Westmeath. Long Island. Kerry intermediates Cavan and Barnabas seniors and Hibernians

I'd question the people running these teams and how much real homework they put in to Thur teams.

Agree way too many teams and board allies teams in every year on their word

I'd go for 3 divisions with 8 teams. Rockland too are a joke with 3 teams and same players on all 3. But they were never questioned.

Crossgaa (Mayo) - Posts: 532 - 31/08/2017 15:14:30    2041199

Link

Replying To Patsy1916:  "Cross in my mind if you do not have 17-18 players who can tog at anytime in the year are you really a football club? I understand that certain county associations want to keep the thing alive but if they really only have 8-10 home based players (sometimes less) what is being achieved. I have heard a lot lately of scheduling issues, irish based players going home because the summer is over, organizational change at the top etc with a whole host of remedies being offered. One think no one is saying and I truly believe this is the issue "There is too many club teams in NY". I have just counted 32 teams between the four divisions. If this could somehow be reduced to 24 teams across 3 divisions with 8 in each division I think teams would not struggle for players as much and the fixture issues would be negated. I know you cant tell clubs to amalgamate but to be honest if some of them don't they may disappear very soon."
fully agree, there are too many clubs. I have seen armagh and tyrone fail to field several times this year and when they do field, they have a few lads who for their own health and safety, shouldn't be running around in 90 degree heat

NYCcavanman (USA) - Posts: 202 - 31/08/2017 15:26:12    2041204

Link