USA Forum

NY GAA 2017

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To NarrowBack914:  "I just figured with timeframe, Monday morning was the kickoff of resurfacing job, so after tomorrow would be a full week. Don't think the rain would hold them back from ripping up the old sod, manys I day I worked in the rain haha. So for a job like this, figure first stage is demo of old sod, that can be done in rain. Anybody have any updates if they have indeed started?"
The timing for this resurface will kill off a lingering ny gaa. Could they not have done it in November and December.
Teams never mind supporters will not travel to Rockland. The lack of mid week games will push season to at least end of October. At this stage most teams who depend on sanctions and transfers will have lost these boys. So is it more reason to have our own set up after 110 years?

Crossgaa (Mayo) - Posts: 532 - 30/05/2017 15:12:35    1992246

Link

Replying To Crossgaa:  "The timing for this resurface will kill off a lingering ny gaa. Could they not have done it in November and December.
Teams never mind supporters will not travel to Rockland. The lack of mid week games will push season to at least end of October. At this stage most teams who depend on sanctions and transfers will have lost these boys. So is it more reason to have our own set up after 110 years?"
Of course we need our own set up here, but it looks like that will never happen now, given the price of real estate in NYC. it's obviously a disaster the way it's panning out, but the point you make about the summer sanctions not being around in October, that could actually be a good thing, meaning the money clubs cash will be no good this year if finals are in October.

NYCcavanman (USA) - Posts: 202 - 30/05/2017 15:21:30    1992248

Link

Replying To NYCcavanman:  "Of course we need our own set up here, but it looks like that will never happen now, given the price of real estate in NYC. it's obviously a disaster the way it's panning out, but the point you make about the summer sanctions not being around in October, that could actually be a good thing, meaning the money clubs cash will be no good this year if finals are in October."
Manhattan College dont care about NY GAA and they do the field now as to have it ready for their Soccer Season. They would be quite happy if the GAA were gone altogether. Who can blame the.

ranger (None) - Posts: 166 - 30/05/2017 15:53:36    1992270

Link

hearing strong rumors that the land up by Stew Leonard's will go ahead at some stage. NYGAA needs a permanent place of its own. Look at some of the oldest minor clubs like celtics and rangers that still dont have a field. think the land is about 25 acres which would benefit both minor and senior board

carlow80s (Carlow) - Posts: 7 - 31/05/2017 04:03:59    1992478

Link

Replying To carlow80s:  "hearing strong rumors that the land up by Stew Leonard's will go ahead at some stage. NYGAA needs a permanent place of its own. Look at some of the oldest minor clubs like celtics and rangers that still dont have a field. think the land is about 25 acres which would benefit both minor and senior board"
hearing strong rumors that the land up by Stew Leonard's will go ahead at some stage. NYGAA needs a permanent place of its own. Look at some of the oldest minor clubs like celtics and rangers that still dont have a field. think the land is about 25 acres which would benefit both minor and senior board.
Carlow80's, I'm sorry but you must be misinformed about the project at stew Leonard's. When the people behind the project looked further into the developing of the land it turned out that a huge quantity of rock would have to be removed to make this happen. This alone was going to cost millions of dollars. The people behind it wanted the GAA to get the funding for the project and have nothing to do with the day to day running of it!!! There's actually a few store chains going to purchase this property. By the way Celtic's and Rangers don't have the big money that these senior clubs are spending every year. Celtic's and Rangers are doing a fine job in keeping the GAA alive for the young kids.

hawkeye2002 (Tyrone) - Posts: 21 - 31/05/2017 11:44:06    1992579

Link

Replying To hawkeye2002:  "hearing strong rumors that the land up by Stew Leonard's will go ahead at some stage. NYGAA needs a permanent place of its own. Look at some of the oldest minor clubs like celtics and rangers that still dont have a field. think the land is about 25 acres which would benefit both minor and senior board.
Carlow80's, I'm sorry but you must be misinformed about the project at stew Leonard's. When the people behind the project looked further into the developing of the land it turned out that a huge quantity of rock would have to be removed to make this happen. This alone was going to cost millions of dollars. The people behind it wanted the GAA to get the funding for the project and have nothing to do with the day to day running of it!!! There's actually a few store chains going to purchase this property. By the way Celtic's and Rangers don't have the big money that these senior clubs are spending every year. Celtic's and Rangers are doing a fine job in keeping the GAA alive for the young kids."
Where in my post did i say celtics and rangers were not doing a fine job? Simply said they deserve a field, no need to put words in my mouth...

carlow80s (Carlow) - Posts: 7 - 31/05/2017 14:59:16    1992676

Link

Replying To ranger:  "Manhattan College dont care about NY GAA and they do the field now as to have it ready for their Soccer Season. They would be quite happy if the GAA were gone altogether. Who can blame the."
Checked the games played so far in New York and see only two championship games were played and those were in April. The next championship game is on June 4 and the next on June 17. All other games are the remaining games from your Leagues. Over half the teams involved in the Leagues either failed to field teams for games or games were played with as little as eleven a side, and this includes senior games.
Your championships in 2015 and 2016 did not begin until the first week in June as the teams were awaiting their imports, which should begin to speed up next week. All your divisional championships in 2016 were completed by the second week in September. Playing games into the end of October would be an excellent occurrence.
No games would have been played on Memorial weekend anyway as the teams and players needed a break. They will probably want off for July 4 weekend also in spite of the fact that it is on a Tuesday. Labor weekend will also be observed, as was Easter Sunday.
The senior competition will still end very early in Sept. as clubs will not want to keep players and players will be returning to school.
The Intermediate (41 games) , Junior A (51 games) and Junior B ( 41 games) were never going to be completed until the end of October anyway due to the amount of games in each division.
Expect the minor division to be completed very early in June and begin again in September.

Gaa Fan (USA) - Posts: 483 - 31/05/2017 15:45:44    1992697

Link

Replying To Gaa Fan:  "Checked the games played so far in New York and see only two championship games were played and those were in April. The next championship game is on June 4 and the next on June 17. All other games are the remaining games from your Leagues. Over half the teams involved in the Leagues either failed to field teams for games or games were played with as little as eleven a side, and this includes senior games.
Your championships in 2015 and 2016 did not begin until the first week in June as the teams were awaiting their imports, which should begin to speed up next week. All your divisional championships in 2016 were completed by the second week in September. Playing games into the end of October would be an excellent occurrence.
No games would have been played on Memorial weekend anyway as the teams and players needed a break. They will probably want off for July 4 weekend also in spite of the fact that it is on a Tuesday. Labor weekend will also be observed, as was Easter Sunday.
The senior competition will still end very early in Sept. as clubs will not want to keep players and players will be returning to school.
The Intermediate (41 games) , Junior A (51 games) and Junior B ( 41 games) were never going to be completed until the end of October anyway due to the amount of games in each division.
Expect the minor division to be completed very early in June and begin again in September."
Playing games in September through end of October is a good thing. Much cooler weather for football and mire home base players involved. They should even allow weekenders for October to help instead of sanctions.

Crossgaa (Mayo) - Posts: 532 - 31/05/2017 17:35:57    1992753

Link

Replying To carlow80s:  "Where in my post did i say celtics and rangers were not doing a fine job? Simply said they deserve a field, no need to put words in my mouth..."
Just to answer these posts, as Hawkeye has stated, the Celtics and Rangers don't have the big money backing to buy a pitch of their own. The NYGAA don't even have a pitch of their own for that matter, over 100 years in this city and still depending on other sources to provide a pitch to play out matches is pretty ridiculous at this stage. Rockland has done a phenomenal job developing the fields and club house in Orangeburg, Shannon Gaels are a new club that just bought land to develop a pitch and St. Barnabas have had Paddy's Field since i was a kid playing football, but to my memory, they still do not own the land. What other minor board club have a pitch of their own? This isn't Ireland where every parish or club have their own football pitch and it's the center of that town/village. Years and years of hard work has gone into developing American kids here to play Gaelic and it will continue for the foreseeable future, long may it last. I know from my own experience, being head of the NYGAA is a thankless job, with every tom, dick and harry questioning what is going on. I question things myself. But ultimately what is the answer? Unless a few of these big money contractors that supply endless money to their clubs get together and buy a field, the NYGAA will be homeless, bottom line. As GAA Fan has stated already, the NYGAA as an organization will not get this done, but would rather wait for a hand out.

NarrowBack914 (USA) - Posts: 173 - 03/06/2017 14:17:33    1993918

Link

So is O Halloran staying or going.... I think he should stay and change the backroom team maybe get Galvin in as an advisor!

johnjoe1 (Kerry) - Posts: 35 - 03/06/2017 16:44:06    1993952

Link

Was over by Gaelic Park yesterday, so took a look at the work going on. The old sod is completely gone and it looks like they are leveling out around midfield. By the looks of it, all they have to do now is roll out new sod and sort out the trimmings then park should be playable. I reckon by what I saw yesterday, the park should be back up and running in 2 weeks time. Anybody have any info on due date for work to be completed??

NarrowBack914 (USA) - Posts: 173 - 04/06/2017 15:09:31    1994455

Link

NarrowBack914 that is good news and thanks for the update. JohnJoe in my opinion after New York getting embarrassed with 15 point + hammerings up until last year the current setup should be kept in place (if they want to stay in place that is). The NY team over the past two years have been different gravy to previous years and whether that is the management team or better caliber of player in NY I dont see why the NY county board would not keep O'Halloran and co on for two more years but as I say I am sure this is also a thankless job so maybe the NY county board will again need to find a new management team.

Patsy1916 (USA) - Posts: 136 - 05/06/2017 14:23:01    1995029

Link

Replying To Patsy1916:  "NarrowBack914 that is good news and thanks for the update. JohnJoe in my opinion after New York getting embarrassed with 15 point + hammerings up until last year the current setup should be kept in place (if they want to stay in place that is). The NY team over the past two years have been different gravy to previous years and whether that is the management team or better caliber of player in NY I dont see why the NY county board would not keep O'Halloran and co on for two more years but as I say I am sure this is also a thankless job so maybe the NY county board will again need to find a new management team."
I agree they should be given a chance to refuse job. Remember most of this teams work is carried on during the cold winter months, running through the snow. It's a big commitment for both management and players alike. But completely understand if they refuse job. They can walk away with their heads up.

Crossgaa (Mayo) - Posts: 532 - 05/06/2017 15:00:19    1995054

Link

Ah great to see the Saints won the Junior A league cup on Sunday, well done boys. Great to see a bunch of American kids stay with the game they grew up with and continue winning. Junior B champs last year, now Junior A league champs,....very promising. By all accounts, Cork had and has a good team for the Junior A division. Anyone have reports on any of the matches over the weekend?

NarrowBack914 (USA) - Posts: 173 - 12/06/2017 16:56:57    1998624

Link

Replying To NarrowBack914:  "Ah great to see the Saints won the Junior A league cup on Sunday, well done boys. Great to see a bunch of American kids stay with the game they grew up with and continue winning. Junior B champs last year, now Junior A league champs,....very promising. By all accounts, Cork had and has a good team for the Junior A division. Anyone have reports on any of the matches over the weekend?"
You are only kidding yourself when you congratulate teams on here for wining anything. NY football is a waste of time, money and peoples hard earned cash to go to a park where teams are all illegal. There not home based teams anymore just some hired guns coming out from Ireland for the summer to make some money then go back when the summer is over. I could care less who wins senior let alone who might junior b in NY this year. Like I've said before keep your hard earned money in your pockets and don't bother spending any of it going over to gaelic park or even buying a ticket for anyone selling them for there team out here in NY.

NYFootball (USA) - Posts: 8 - 12/06/2017 18:00:04    1998663

Link

Replying To NYFootball:  "You are only kidding yourself when you congratulate teams on here for wining anything. NY football is a waste of time, money and peoples hard earned cash to go to a park where teams are all illegal. There not home based teams anymore just some hired guns coming out from Ireland for the summer to make some money then go back when the summer is over. I could care less who wins senior let alone who might junior b in NY this year. Like I've said before keep your hard earned money in your pockets and don't bother spending any of it going over to gaelic park or even buying a ticket for anyone selling them for there team out here in NY."
why did you waste your time writing this, and other messages then?

NYCcavanman (USA) - Posts: 202 - 12/06/2017 19:52:45    1998721

Link

Replying To NYCcavanman:  "why did you waste your time writing this, and other messages then?"
Cause I had a little time on my hands and saw what was posted and replied to them cause I can. So if I feel like posting to a thread I will and can and just leave it at that. Im not on here all the time like you two are, I seen prior posts from you two in general and you guys have to get someone or something in your lives to look at. You both are probably two people who never kicked a ball before.

NYFootball (USA) - Posts: 8 - 12/06/2017 22:33:13    1998792

Link

Replying To NYFootball:  "You are only kidding yourself when you congratulate teams on here for wining anything. NY football is a waste of time, money and peoples hard earned cash to go to a park where teams are all illegal. There not home based teams anymore just some hired guns coming out from Ireland for the summer to make some money then go back when the summer is over. I could care less who wins senior let alone who might junior b in NY this year. Like I've said before keep your hard earned money in your pockets and don't bother spending any of it going over to gaelic park or even buying a ticket for anyone selling them for there team out here in NY."
Why not congratulate teams on winning isn't that what sports is all about regardless of division.
On Sunday Barnabas pulled off a big win against a goid Cork team. They did it with all home grown players and a home grown management team. Doubt if it cost them to much except a few hours training and a few cold ones that night.
They should be the footprint for other clubs and they seem to be successful this last 5 or 6 years. So hats off to them.

Crossgaa (Mayo) - Posts: 532 - 13/06/2017 13:22:29    1999044

Link

I was at the games on Sunday and I did not see anything only two decent home based teams with the younger, fitter Barnabas fully meriting their win. They must have had 30 players togged out. Don't understand the negativity. What is there not to like and admire about the way that they go about their business?

GPlifer (USA) - Posts: 290 - 13/06/2017 14:13:32    1999104

Link

Replying To NYFootball:  "Cause I had a little time on my hands and saw what was posted and replied to them cause I can. So if I feel like posting to a thread I will and can and just leave it at that. Im not on here all the time like you two are, I seen prior posts from you two in general and you guys have to get someone or something in your lives to look at. You both are probably two people who never kicked a ball before."
you just wasted more time on something you don't care about!

NYCcavanman (USA) - Posts: 202 - 13/06/2017 17:09:44    1999219

Link