USA Forum

NY GAA 2017

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To NYCcavanman:  "I see an article on HS today that odhran mac Niallais is moving to the states... anyone know if it's to NY and if he'll be playing ball?"
I'd say very likely that a few of the Donegal lads will be here this summer. It's hard to pass on offers like that.

Crossgaa (Mayo) - Posts: 532 - 07/01/2017 11:47:34    1943697

Link

Any news out of the New York camp?

TheDigger (USA) - Posts: 45 - 11/01/2017 15:39:25    1944890

Link

Any news out of the New York camp?

TheDigger (USA) - Posts: 45 - 11/01/2017 15:39:28    1944891

Link

anyone know what teams are in what leagues this year, or when is that decided? any new teams?

NYCcavanman (USA) - Posts: 202 - 19/01/2017 17:28:23    1947077

Link

Replying To NYCcavanman:  "anyone know what teams are in what leagues this year, or when is that decided? any new teams?"
It seems to be very quiet in the New York front so far. Rumours that two senior teams may be in trouble and at least one intermediate team also.
Surprised that numerous meetings are not being held by the combined football sections to discuss matter.
It seems that there will be only three teams again this year in the senior hurling section.

Gaa Fan (USA) - Posts: 484 - 22/01/2017 20:22:30    1947852

Link

Replying To Gaa Fan:  "It seems to be very quiet in the New York front so far. Rumours that two senior teams may be in trouble and at least one intermediate team also.
Surprised that numerous meetings are not being held by the combined football sections to discuss matter.
It seems that there will be only three teams again this year in the senior hurling section."
Heard much the same thing. That would leave 3 senior teams??

Crossgaa (Mayo) - Posts: 532 - 23/01/2017 16:39:01    1948150

Link

http://www.the42.ie/gaa-players-usa-2-3204155-Jan2017/

we will see what will be done. but judging by the comments underneath, people in Ireland obviously don't understand the size of the problem we have with players being paid in NYC

NYCcavanman (USA) - Posts: 202 - 25/01/2017 15:15:54    1948738

Link

Replying To NYCcavanman:  "http://www.the42.ie/gaa-players-usa-2-3204155-Jan2017/

we will see what will be done. but judging by the comments underneath, people in Ireland obviously don't understand the size of the problem we have with players being paid in NYC"
Do you know what the new proposals are ? Did not hear of any being put forward by the NY meetings.

Gaa Fan (USA) - Posts: 484 - 25/01/2017 17:43:39    1948777

Link

Replying To Gaa Fan:  "Do you know what the new proposals are ? Did not hear of any being put forward by the NY meetings."
I believe there proposals from Croke Park not here. If something isn't done then not too many clubs will able to afford senior football. To be a top team your looking at spending 150k

Crossgaa (Mayo) - Posts: 532 - 26/01/2017 12:05:34    1948917

Link

The proposals Padraic Duffy is on about were brought forward by a number of clubs at North American Convention, namely to increase the number of homebase on the field from 5 to 6, move the last date for registering from July 20th to July 1st and any guy named on an inter county championship panel can't get a sanction while his county are still involved in the championship, these were brought forward as a result of the shenanigans in Chicago last year which led to the John McBrides being banned for 54 weeks

louthspeaker (Louth) - Posts: 24 - 26/01/2017 13:42:41    1948946

Link

The issue is a lot more widespread than I'd think Croke Park knows. I find it comical that people are worried about senior dying unless players are bought from home. If time and effort were put in "home grown" players, they'd be playing senior. The lot back home don't care about American's playing. Why would they, I guess. But I'd want to go out on a Sunday and see a well contested match, the lads playing for their club. I just enjoy watching a good match, regardless of who takes the pitch. If we want to continue paying players, why not just go professional, sure we're just kidding ourselves by calling it amateurism. Professionalism didn't kill football or rugby.

kilflynn (Kerry) - Posts: 64 - 26/01/2017 13:46:48    1948947

Link

Replying To kilflynn:  "The issue is a lot more widespread than I'd think Croke Park knows. I find it comical that people are worried about senior dying unless players are bought from home. If time and effort were put in "home grown" players, they'd be playing senior. The lot back home don't care about American's playing. Why would they, I guess. But I'd want to go out on a Sunday and see a well contested match, the lads playing for their club. I just enjoy watching a good match, regardless of who takes the pitch. If we want to continue paying players, why not just go professional, sure we're just kidding ourselves by calling it amateurism. Professionalism didn't kill football or rugby."
Well said Kilflynn but unfortunately there not well contested games anymore. It's a test to see which club is the most craziest at spending money. If the rules don't change this year then NY football will be outa business soon

Crossgaa (Mayo) - Posts: 532 - 26/01/2017 17:52:47    1949027

Link

Replying To kilflynn:  "The issue is a lot more widespread than I'd think Croke Park knows. I find it comical that people are worried about senior dying unless players are bought from home. If time and effort were put in "home grown" players, they'd be playing senior. The lot back home don't care about American's playing. Why would they, I guess. But I'd want to go out on a Sunday and see a well contested match, the lads playing for their club. I just enjoy watching a good match, regardless of who takes the pitch. If we want to continue paying players, why not just go professional, sure we're just kidding ourselves by calling it amateurism. Professionalism didn't kill football or rugby."
http://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/duffy-welcomes-crackdown-on-us-summer-exodus-35395811.html

A good read. The cat is out of the bag now.

Crossgaa (Mayo) - Posts: 532 - 27/01/2017 13:53:53    1949203

Link

Honestly guys, this gets talked about every year and nothing comes of it. If anything, it would take a serious motion from Croke Park in order to stop this pay for play. I've been watching football in this town for a very long time and its gone on the whole time. Why is anyone surprised? Now don't get me wrong, I'm all for developing the minor board talent here and it should have been something done years and years ago when the minor board was flourishing with numbers, but there aren't that many kids around after u16s. A few teams need to combine in order to compete at u18s and u21s. This is something that the board should be more concerned about, supporting the minor board and Americans coming up so we as an organization are not held to players coming out to fill ranks. I would never want to stop kids coming out from Ireland for the summer the right to play, but the money aspect just ruins it and makes it uncompetitive. Just my 2 cents.

NarrowBack914 (USA) - Posts: 173 - 29/01/2017 17:59:23    1949819

Link

Would like to know what players are on the New York football team squad ? How many of the players who came through the NY minor ranks are on the squad ?
Thanks.

Gaa Fan (USA) - Posts: 484 - 02/02/2017 17:49:27    1951305

Link

Replying To Gaa Fan:  "Would like to know what players are on the New York football team squad ? How many of the players who came through the NY minor ranks are on the squad ?
Thanks."
It's a big panel this year from what I heard. A lot of new players have arrived since our championship ended. So panel is strong. I'd say there's a good few yanks on panel.

Crossgaa (Mayo) - Posts: 532 - 04/02/2017 15:16:01    1951815

Link

Replying To Crossgaa:  "It's a big panel this year from what I heard. A lot of new players have arrived since our championship ended. So panel is strong. I'd say there's a good few yanks on panel."
Same from what I'm hearing Cross. From talking to a couple people in the know, the squad still hasn't been cut down to team numbers, so the training and things are going strong. Hopefully the 2 matches against Donegal will stand to them also. Think team will be sorted out by end of the month.

NarrowBack914 (USA) - Posts: 173 - 05/02/2017 17:08:16    1952160

Link

Replying To NarrowBack914:  "Same from what I'm hearing Cross. From talking to a couple people in the know, the squad still hasn't been cut down to team numbers, so the training and things are going strong. Hopefully the 2 matches against Donegal will stand to them also. Think team will be sorted out by end of the month."
Got to see the training session today. Huge squad. Two players from the minor ranks were pointed out to me as were thirteen players who have yet to play and football in NY . Surprised that imports are being allowed for the NY team.

Gaa Fan (USA) - Posts: 484 - 05/02/2017 19:48:44    1952304

Link

Seems to be mostly football being discussed on here but just wondering does anyone know when the hurling teams start back training? Also would any teams train on Randall's Island or are they all up around gaelic park?

nyhurling (USA) - Posts: 1 - 06/02/2017 14:49:00    1952768

Link

Heard things are very positive from the NY panel. Same management as last year with same trainer. What i noticed last year there was very very little talk coming from the camp and I think that is what they wanted so again I don't expect to hear to much in terms of team or squad selection before the donegal games. They surprised a lot of people last year and I personally am really looking forward to seeing how we compete against donegal in april and then the big one against Sligo in may. Been living in this town since mid 80's and would love to see NY get their first championship win in 2017.

Patsy1916 (USA) - Posts: 136 - 06/02/2017 23:19:31    1953103

Link