Westmeath Forum

Referees Needed In The County

(Oldest Posts First)

The GAA in Westmeath is facing a crisis if a new batch of referees isn't recruited in the next year or two
Now I know it's a very thankless job due to so many managers, players and supporters not knowing the rules well enough, but according to a referee in our club that by the time they put fuel in the car and make a round trip to a ground (that might take up to an hour and more) that it's just n not financially worth it.

Should the county board be increasing the match fee or giving referees something else to encourage participation? E.g. fuel vouchers via a sponsor?

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1705 - 15/01/2020 22:12:20    2260099

Link

Match expenses were increased last year to €50 for adult games, €40 for underage, unlikely to be further increase within next 3 years. Doubtful that many referees are facing round trip of an hour or more in Westmeath. Definitely beginning to reach crisis point, more and more referees retiring, simply not being replaced.

Bellewest (Westmeath) - Posts: 142 - 16/01/2020 01:06:47    2260119

Link

The problem is that there are too many clubs that have been consistently failing to supply referees. I haven't been at a county board meeting for several years but there was a time when clubs were regularly warned that failure to provide at least two referees would result in sanctions being imposed. Of course that never happened and I don't know if they even bother warning clubs now but I could name a few football clubs that have been remiss in this regard for quite a while. In fairness some clubs regularly provide three or four referees but they can't be expected to maintain this indefinitely.

midlands (Westmeath) - Posts: 131 - 16/01/2020 20:55:45    2260323

Link

The hurling clubs without referees. Name and shame.
CTG no referee for years.
Ringtown, no referee
Brownstown, no referee in years.
Delvin, no referee under 65.
Caymon Flynn the only hurling referee under 40.

midfield9 (Westmeath) - Posts: 35 - 17/01/2020 00:48:32    2260369

Link

Can i ask how clubs pay referees. Do they get kids say to bring 2 euro to each game to supplement the cost or is it all borne from the club.

gti (Westmeath) - Posts: 179 - 17/01/2020 09:12:37    2260385

Link

Replying To gti:  "Can i ask how clubs pay referees. Do they get kids say to bring 2 euro to each game to supplement the cost or is it all borne from the club."
I am not aware of kids bringing €2 per game, as far as I know the clubs carry the cost and pay the referee . ..most of the time. . some times the referee has not been paid for doing a match or for travelling to a venue without being told a match has been postponed or cancelled. For the past two or three years Home Clubs have to pay the referee for Championship matches. For championship matches at neutral venues the County Board pay the referees.
Can't understand why travelling expenses for referees going to matches are different for Adult and underage, €50 & €40 respectively. .the distances to the various venues is the same. . .

tazz (Westmeath) - Posts: 52 - 17/01/2020 14:02:20    2260455

Link

Replying To tazz:  "I am not aware of kids bringing €2 per game, as far as I know the clubs carry the cost and pay the referee . ..most of the time. . some times the referee has not been paid for doing a match or for travelling to a venue without being told a match has been postponed or cancelled. For the past two or three years Home Clubs have to pay the referee for Championship matches. For championship matches at neutral venues the County Board pay the referees.
Can't understand why travelling expenses for referees going to matches are different for Adult and underage, €50 & €40 respectively. .the distances to the various venues is the same. . ."
It's a crazy system that the home club has the expense of paying a referee. I think it's unique as most counties pay their referees centrally
The training of refs needs to start in secondary school
Teach them the proper rules and let them ref primary school and under 8 and Under 10 games.

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1705 - 17/01/2020 17:34:36    2260497

Link

Replying To midlands:  "The problem is that there are too many clubs that have been consistently failing to supply referees. I haven't been at a county board meeting for several years but there was a time when clubs were regularly warned that failure to provide at least two referees would result in sanctions being imposed. Of course that never happened and I don't know if they even bother warning clubs now but I could name a few football clubs that have been remiss in this regard for quite a while. In fairness some clubs regularly provide three or four referees but they can't be expected to maintain this indefinitely."
How can any club force a member to become a referee?? Absolutely ridiculous. Who would want the hassle of it? From underage to adult level, verbal abuse, physical assaults, there have been incidents of refs being abused by CB officials because decisions in games didn't go their clubs way. Who would want it? Anyone here that wants to complain about x,y or z club not supplying referees, take up the whistle yourself and see how it goes.

The_Fonz (Westmeath) - Posts: 76 - 17/01/2020 17:41:39    2260498

Link

The abuse of referees is an overstated reason as to why more people don't take it up. It's definitely a reason why some quit. The fear of making a balls of a game is as big an issue. You need guts to do it and not everyone has that confidence. Most former players who have thaat confidence go down the coaching or management route. The biggest issue for the county board to to encourage more people to give it a go. If people start it most will continue.

midfield9 (Westmeath) - Posts: 35 - 17/01/2020 23:09:57    2260545

Link

Replying To The_Fonz:  "How can any club force a member to become a referee?? Absolutely ridiculous. Who would want the hassle of it? From underage to adult level, verbal abuse, physical assaults, there have been incidents of refs being abused by CB officials because decisions in games didn't go their clubs way. Who would want it? Anyone here that wants to complain about x,y or z club not supplying referees, take up the whistle yourself and see how it goes."
Should clubs without a referee be allowed to enter competitions?
It could focus a few minds

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1705 - 17/01/2020 23:10:30    2260546

Link

Replying To valley84:  "Should clubs without a referee be allowed to enter competitions?
It could focus a few minds"
Yes they should be allowed enter competitions because at the end of the day no club can force a member to become a referee. Do you honestly think when a club holds an agm and the members are told if they don't come up with a ref they will be out of a championship that they will all come rushing out of the woodwork to do it? Not likely. County board wouldn't have a leg to stand on if a club went to Croke Park about it

The_Fonz (Westmeath) - Posts: 76 - 18/01/2020 11:59:46    2260577

Link

Replying To The_Fonz:  "Yes they should be allowed enter competitions because at the end of the day no club can force a member to become a referee. Do you honestly think when a club holds an agm and the members are told if they don't come up with a ref they will be out of a championship that they will all come rushing out of the woodwork to do it? Not likely. County board wouldn't have a leg to stand on if a club went to Croke Park about it"
My point is that every club should be able to supply at least one referee.
Especially a senior club with multiple adult and underage teams

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1705 - 18/01/2020 17:05:44    2260617

Link

Replying To valley84:  "My point is that every club should be able to supply at least one referee.
Especially a senior club with multiple adult and underage teams"
We can all agree that every club 'should' be able to supply a referee, but there is no incentive for anyone to take up the whistle. It doesn't matter how many teams that are within a club, no one can be forced into the position. Refereeing is totally voluntary and unless the GAA bring in a better payment system there will be still be a lack of numbers.
The abuse thrown at referees is unacceptable. We all saw the abuse Alan Coyne got after the Longford/Dublin match; The comments about Conor Lane after the All Ireland Club final yesterday leave a lot to be desired, but anyone reading the comments on social media would not be inclined to take up the role of referee. . ..who would put themselves in a similar position voluntarily after witnessing that, especially for €40 or €50 . . . .
Just for the record. . .I have refereed in the past, for about 10 years or so, still do an odd match here and there, personally haven't been on the receiving end of much abuse. . . some. . . but not much. . . . . . The abuse on Social media following high profile matches is a massive deterrant to anyone who might be interested in refereeing. .

tazz (Westmeath) - Posts: 52 - 20/01/2020 11:42:40    2261047

Link

Inter county referees would be crazy to be on social media within 48 hours of a match. Football club final was virtually unrefereeable yesterday in closing stages. Lane was as usual very good. Doesn't help that the likes of Conor Mortimer or Mossy Quinn are on Twitter slating referees.

Bellewest (Westmeath) - Posts: 142 - 20/01/2020 22:46:32    2261231

Link