Mayo Forum

Mayo 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Good fight back today but no points leaves things already slipping out of our hands. It's a case of win the last two and we're likely to be safe, though I think without working it out exactly that we could even go down on 7 points depending on who else is on that same total, considering too we've lost to two teams who possibly could end up on that mark. We're on -14 now too, mainly thanks to the bad finish to the Monaghan game, so unless we batter either Galway, Tyrone or hopefully both, we're not going to be able to rely on scoring difference if it comes to it. Blooding half a new team in Div 1 was always going to be tough, however it's not over yet and the two week break will hopefully allow the panel to get things better sorted out for the last two games.

Pericles (Mayo) - Posts: 2081 - 01/03/2020 15:56:59    2271154

Link

It says a lot about the quality in div 1 this year that there's only three points between ye in a relegation battle and the top of the table. With that kind of fine margin, I wouldn't be ruling Mayo out come summer. Meath can have no complaints with their relegation, but the remaining teams are all top class sides, and div 1 will be the poorer next year with whatever team looses out.

Best of luck in the remaining games lads, with one obvious exception.

festinog (Galway) - Posts: 2852 - 01/03/2020 17:18:44    2271205

Link

Replying To festinog:  "It says a lot about the quality in div 1 this year that there's only three points between ye in a relegation battle and the top of the table. With that kind of fine margin, I wouldn't be ruling Mayo out come summer. Meath can have no complaints with their relegation, but the remaining teams are all top class sides, and div 1 will be the poorer next year with whatever team looses out.

Best of luck in the remaining games lads, with one obvious exception."
We'll be needing that exception Festy, but we've got to suck it up, transition was always going to be painful.

Pericles (Mayo) - Posts: 2081 - 01/03/2020 19:04:37    2271288

Link

disappointing result yesterday, had to listen to it on the radio, first half was a disaster, they couldnt handle G.White.
A O Shea stepped up in the second half which is good, like Murphy with Donegal, if AOS can be kept closer to goal and supplied with plenty of ball hes a big threat and occupies at least 2 defenders..
K Higgins playing around the middle i think suits him and the team alot more, and when he gets fitter and sharper he will be a great threat with runs forward.
Harrison, Barrett, Ruane, O Connor coming back in with the lads who have been playing most of the league will be a good solid team for championship.

O Connor, Coen, Carr full forward line will be good and dangerous i think.

O Donoghue, Conroy and Towey are good young players coming through and more importantly they look natural scorers

Looking like D2 next year, not great but it wont be to much harm to all these new lads coming through to be down D2 for a year, I can see them coming straight back up.
We won the league last year and I didnt really see any benefits to the players for it.

tommy132 (Mayo) - Posts: 389 - 02/03/2020 11:39:23    2271575

Link

Also Andy Moran on mid west was brillant, be great to have him on it for all games but can see him being snapped up for TV for the summer. He be great co-commentor on the TV

tommy132 (Mayo) - Posts: 389 - 02/03/2020 11:41:56    2271577

Link

Replying To tommy132:  "disappointing result yesterday, had to listen to it on the radio, first half was a disaster, they couldnt handle G.White.
A O Shea stepped up in the second half which is good, like Murphy with Donegal, if AOS can be kept closer to goal and supplied with plenty of ball hes a big threat and occupies at least 2 defenders..
K Higgins playing around the middle i think suits him and the team alot more, and when he gets fitter and sharper he will be a great threat with runs forward.
Harrison, Barrett, Ruane, O Connor coming back in with the lads who have been playing most of the league will be a good solid team for championship.

O Connor, Coen, Carr full forward line will be good and dangerous i think.

O Donoghue, Conroy and Towey are good young players coming through and more importantly they look natural scorers

Looking like D2 next year, not great but it wont be to much harm to all these new lads coming through to be down D2 for a year, I can see them coming straight back up.
We won the league last year and I didnt really see any benefits to the players for it."
There's no guarantee we'd bounce straight back up Tommy... the work the players will have to do won't be any different and particularly younger players might be more inclined to go wandering around the world, or worse think more seriously about a potential AFL move when the side isn't dining at the top table. We've two games that are there to be won. If we win these, outside of Kerry losing both of theirs, we'd still likely be safe on 7 points (Donegal ending up there wouldn't likely be good either with their +18 versus our -15). 140 minutes of switched-on football is a far better path to Div 1 than a year, or two, or three looking to re-find ourselves in the wilderness.

Pericles (Mayo) - Posts: 2081 - 02/03/2020 13:47:35    2271652

Link

Replying To Pericles:  "There's no guarantee we'd bounce straight back up Tommy... the work the players will have to do won't be any different and particularly younger players might be more inclined to go wandering around the world, or worse think more seriously about a potential AFL move when the side isn't dining at the top table. We've two games that are there to be won. If we win these, outside of Kerry losing both of theirs, we'd still likely be safe on 7 points (Donegal ending up there wouldn't likely be good either with their +18 versus our -15). 140 minutes of switched-on football is a far better path to Div 1 than a year, or two, or three looking to re-find ourselves in the wilderness."
I agree its no guarantee but I think they would come back up straight away.

Players havent been staying around because of D1 football, its getting to latter stages of championship that players want and I dont think relegation and a year in D2 will effect them for championship.

That may sound like defeatist attitude and letting standards slip but with the new crop of young players I dont think it will do them any harm and completely disagree with Spillane talking crap about them not been good enough.
I think it will spur them on as they are the players who got Mayo relegated after all the years in D1 and now its up to them to get back into D1, and a bit of hurt no harm going into championship.

I dont think staying up will effect a lads decision with AFL, if they get offered a contract they will go, I know there were rumours of Ruane and Mullin being close to an offer but nothing seems to have come of it yet. Hopefully we get Ruane going for championship as he was a big reason for league success last year and we didnt get his best in championship.

Yeah I dont want to discard them winning last 2 games either, Mayo vs Galway rarely goes by form, good derby game where anything can happen. Who to mark Shane Walsh, Oisin Mullin or Paddy Durcan?
I think we would beat Tyrone

tommy132 (Mayo) - Posts: 389 - 02/03/2020 16:06:45    2271713

Link

Replying To tommy132:  "I agree its no guarantee but I think they would come back up straight away.

Players havent been staying around because of D1 football, its getting to latter stages of championship that players want and I dont think relegation and a year in D2 will effect them for championship.

That may sound like defeatist attitude and letting standards slip but with the new crop of young players I dont think it will do them any harm and completely disagree with Spillane talking crap about them not been good enough.
I think it will spur them on as they are the players who got Mayo relegated after all the years in D1 and now its up to them to get back into D1, and a bit of hurt no harm going into championship.

I dont think staying up will effect a lads decision with AFL, if they get offered a contract they will go, I know there were rumours of Ruane and Mullin being close to an offer but nothing seems to have come of it yet. Hopefully we get Ruane going for championship as he was a big reason for league success last year and we didnt get his best in championship.

Yeah I dont want to discard them winning last 2 games either, Mayo vs Galway rarely goes by form, good derby game where anything can happen. Who to mark Shane Walsh, Oisin Mullin or Paddy Durcan?
I think we would beat Tyrone"
Like you say Tommy, I think our last two fixtures are winnable, but only if the team doesn't take half the game to find its bearings like it did y/day. As you point out, championship is what really matters, but the correlation between Div 1 and the latter stages of Sam pre-dates the super 8s. Not being pushed that extra couple of percent in the league games has evidently been making a huge difference.

I'd put Paddy on Shane Walsh... both class players. I think Stephen Coen would do a decent job on him as well. Young Mullin has the physical attributes, but Walsh is the best player in Div 1 right now along with Michael Murphy, so it'd be prudent to put a proven experienced marker on him rather than risking damage being done first. It depends on how much value the management are placing on retaining Div 1 status.

Pericles (Mayo) - Posts: 2081 - 02/03/2020 18:11:37    2271751

Link

Replying To Pericles:  "Like you say Tommy, I think our last two fixtures are winnable, but only if the team doesn't take half the game to find its bearings like it did y/day. As you point out, championship is what really matters, but the correlation between Div 1 and the latter stages of Sam pre-dates the super 8s. Not being pushed that extra couple of percent in the league games has evidently been making a huge difference.

I'd put Paddy on Shane Walsh... both class players. I think Stephen Coen would do a decent job on him as well. Young Mullin has the physical attributes, but Walsh is the best player in Div 1 right now along with Michael Murphy, so it'd be prudent to put a proven experienced marker on him rather than risking damage being done first. It depends on how much value the management are placing on retaining Div 1 status."
Is Mullen off to Oz?

I always thought AOS was brilliant at 14 the year he was left there. Not a brilliant AI Final but ye abandoned that experiment too quick. The goal against Donegal will always stand out. The McGees were never known for their generosity! Teams will end up double marking him and that should give ye something elsewhere on the pitch.

Looking forward to the game in Salthill (weather being good i hope!). Mayo fighting for their lives and holding nothing back will tell us a lot about where we are. We are definitely improving but there are fine margins between all D1 teams with the exception of the Dubs out in front by a bit and Meath the other end.

Momentum can shift very quickly! I wake up in cold sweats about Shane Walshs hamstring!

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1202 - 03/03/2020 11:21:22    2271903

Link

Replying To Mayonman:  "Is Mullen off to Oz?

I always thought AOS was brilliant at 14 the year he was left there. Not a brilliant AI Final but ye abandoned that experiment too quick. The goal against Donegal will always stand out. The McGees were never known for their generosity! Teams will end up double marking him and that should give ye something elsewhere on the pitch.

Looking forward to the game in Salthill (weather being good i hope!). Mayo fighting for their lives and holding nothing back will tell us a lot about where we are. We are definitely improving but there are fine margins between all D1 teams with the exception of the Dubs out in front by a bit and Meath the other end.

Momentum can shift very quickly! I wake up in cold sweats about Shane Walshs hamstring!"
No pressure on Galway Mayoman, a game you'd like to win but don't need to is always going to be more enjoyable than one where survival is on the line (ie. we probably won't enjoy it that much, but hopefully we'll still have something to play for after). The AOS no 14 experiment I think ended because Aiden was brought up on a diet of Jack O'Shea as a role model and not his teammate Bomber Liston. Oisin Mullin's going to Oz is something out there but if it was very likely at this point I doubt he'd be getting as much game time as he's been given so far. JH obviously is earmarking him as a key player going forward and he certainly has looked capable, along with fellow new back Padraig O'Hora. Shane Walsh is a joy to watch, but hopefully he'll have at least one complete off-day during this league in a couple of week's time.

Pericles (Mayo) - Posts: 2081 - 03/03/2020 13:20:21    2271948

Link

Just wondering how the team is shaping up for championship and how much Horan has learned from the league. Some of the injured lads like Cillian and Mattie should be back as well as McDonagh, Barrett and maybe Seamie. Don't know what the story is with Donie, Boyler has to be a major doubt and Doc will hardly be back for Connacht. From my own point of view O Hora, Mullin and Ryan O Donoghue are the likeliest of the newcomers to come through. Can't second guess the goalkeeper situation, although I would be very much a Clarke supporter. Mullin, presuming he's still around, and Harrison will be in the full back line along with maybe O Hora or Barrett or McCormack. Leroy and Durkin are nailed on in the half back line with O Donoghue, O Hora, Coen and Barrett vying for the third spot. Aido and Mattie in midfield with Seamie or Tom P to come in for twenty mins. McDonagh, O Donoghue and Diarmuid to make up the half forward line with Boland and Flynn as backup. Cillian, Carr and Kev Mc in the full forward line with Coen and Conroy pushing for places. I don't know anything about Eoghan McLoughlin but he looked impressive against Kerry and young Towey has also impressed on his two brief appearances. Full back and centre back will need a bit of solving and we lack a bit of cohesion in the forward lines. If we can keep Aido fit, get Cillian back to something approaching his best and somehow replace Boyler we won't be any pushover. I'm thinking I left somebody out!

Llaw_Gyffes (Mayo) - Posts: 1078 - 04/03/2020 23:04:14    2272278

Link

Replying To Llaw_Gyffes:  "Just wondering how the team is shaping up for championship and how much Horan has learned from the league. Some of the injured lads like Cillian and Mattie should be back as well as McDonagh, Barrett and maybe Seamie. Don't know what the story is with Donie, Boyler has to be a major doubt and Doc will hardly be back for Connacht. From my own point of view O Hora, Mullin and Ryan O Donoghue are the likeliest of the newcomers to come through. Can't second guess the goalkeeper situation, although I would be very much a Clarke supporter. Mullin, presuming he's still around, and Harrison will be in the full back line along with maybe O Hora or Barrett or McCormack. Leroy and Durkin are nailed on in the half back line with O Donoghue, O Hora, Coen and Barrett vying for the third spot. Aido and Mattie in midfield with Seamie or Tom P to come in for twenty mins. McDonagh, O Donoghue and Diarmuid to make up the half forward line with Boland and Flynn as backup. Cillian, Carr and Kev Mc in the full forward line with Coen and Conroy pushing for places. I don't know anything about Eoghan McLoughlin but he looked impressive against Kerry and young Towey has also impressed on his two brief appearances. Full back and centre back will need a bit of solving and we lack a bit of cohesion in the forward lines. If we can keep Aido fit, get Cillian back to something approaching his best and somehow replace Boyler we won't be any pushover. I'm thinking I left somebody out!"
Keith Higgins will fit in somewhere, think a free role around the middle would suit him best

tommy132 (Mayo) - Posts: 389 - 05/03/2020 10:56:09    2272310

Link

Replying To tommy132:  "Keith Higgins will fit in somewhere, think a free role around the middle would suit him best"
I forgot Keith. He could be used in almost any line but I agree a free role would suit him.

Llaw_Gyffes (Mayo) - Posts: 1078 - 05/03/2020 12:00:13    2272320

Link

Replying To Llaw_Gyffes:  "I forgot Keith. He could be used in almost any line but I agree a free role would suit him."
I'd be thinking that the half back line for most games will feature Keegan, Durcan and Plunkett or S Coen (not sure who'd man the middle), with either Keith or Chris Barrett playing a sweeper role (when required) in place of Boyler. If we play Kerry or Dublin then Paddy Durcan may again be deployed in the half forward line to negate the effect of their flying left half-backs - Kerry well and truly let their cat out of the bag the last day. There are two persistent problems we can never seem to resolve: the goalkeeper; plus who should take the frees when Cillian's not starting. How many years is it since these weaknesses presented themselves and until we put them to bed other teams will look to take full advantage. In the forwards none of the newer guys have really shown anything but glimpses here and there, so fully fit and available I'd order our forwards pick as follows: Cillian, Kevin McL, JDoc, D O'C, Fionn McD, DCoen, JCarr, F Boland, R O'Donoghue, C Treacy, T Conroy, C Loftus, J Durcan, Eoghan McLaughlin, P Towey, N Reape, J Flynn. I don't know if Evan Regan is still a panellist or potentially one for the championship, but we're short of left footers and so I'd have him high enough up the order as a starter or amongst the subs for most games.... he hasn't been all that lucky in the green and red, but (a bit like Mickey Conroy had) he has the potential to be top class.

Pericles (Mayo) - Posts: 2081 - 05/03/2020 14:48:13    2272358

Link

Replying To Pericles:  "I'd be thinking that the half back line for most games will feature Keegan, Durcan and Plunkett or S Coen (not sure who'd man the middle), with either Keith or Chris Barrett playing a sweeper role (when required) in place of Boyler. If we play Kerry or Dublin then Paddy Durcan may again be deployed in the half forward line to negate the effect of their flying left half-backs - Kerry well and truly let their cat out of the bag the last day. There are two persistent problems we can never seem to resolve: the goalkeeper; plus who should take the frees when Cillian's not starting. How many years is it since these weaknesses presented themselves and until we put them to bed other teams will look to take full advantage. In the forwards none of the newer guys have really shown anything but glimpses here and there, so fully fit and available I'd order our forwards pick as follows: Cillian, Kevin McL, JDoc, D O'C, Fionn McD, DCoen, JCarr, F Boland, R O'Donoghue, C Treacy, T Conroy, C Loftus, J Durcan, Eoghan McLaughlin, P Towey, N Reape, J Flynn. I don't know if Evan Regan is still a panellist or potentially one for the championship, but we're short of left footers and so I'd have him high enough up the order as a starter or amongst the subs for most games.... he hasn't been all that lucky in the green and red, but (a bit like Mickey Conroy had) he has the potential to be top class."
I think both Reape and Regan are gone from the panel, at least for now. Loftus has had several chances without impressing, from frees or from play. I don't know what's the story with Treacy. He showed some promise last year and would be expected to be pushing for a place with a second year of strength and conditioning. Not sure if he's injured. James Durcan was very impressive against Donegal but has been poor since. Conroy looks handy, if a bit light, but he is young and could potentially be very good. In two minds about Flynn. Is good in the air but hard to know where he fits in. He got caught for pace against Kerry when their half backs attacked, James Durcan ended up doing a lot of the chasing back, and he's not a Tom Parsons type who will cover a lot of ground. He could come good though. Horan said Irwin is still in the panel so he could be worth keeping an eye on. Could be a serious footballer if he gets his fitness levels right. There doesn't seem to be any goalkeeper coming through. Schlingermann was third choice last year but, apart from half an hour versus the underdogs he didn't get any game time. Byrne looks to be going down the same road. Hard to know what the story is with the frees. They seem to be just waiting for Cillian to come back and in the meantime it seems to be a matter of whoever is nearest the ball can take them. If Cillian isn't fit and well we could be in bother as we don't seem to have a plan B. Towey hit a lovely free the last day. Two steps back, minimum of effort, judged the wind perfectly and had no bother with the distance. We haven't had anyone like that from that distance since Cillian in his early years. Hopefully Horan has some surprises in store and all will be revealed come championship!

Llaw_Gyffes (Mayo) - Posts: 1078 - 05/03/2020 19:55:23    2272405

Link

If the 2020 championship is called off it will be at least 77 years since Ross and 70 Years since Mayo will have won the Cup. A Long Time. If it goes ahead as the old-style pre-2001 knock-out one of us will not even reach the Connacht final. Knock-out could suit Mayo better than Ross or Galway as they have done well in must win games over the years.

Keephimthere (Roscommon) - Posts: 45 - 29/04/2020 14:29:02    2277010

Link