Mayo Forum

Mayo 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Giveitago:  "Great to see that Horan is giving new blood a chance in the league this year. Competition for places can only improve the strength and depth of the squad. For years mayo supporters could have named the starting 15 and subs a week before any match. I think that Monaghan will be too strong, playing at home, for this young Mayo team but the game will definitely bring on these players.
One question to all mayo supporters. Do you think that Mayo will survive in Div 1 this year?
it will be tight as usual. It would a major bonus if Mayo do survive with all the new starters over the league campaign."
I don't see any reason why we won't get two wins from our last four fixtures. Considering the amount of experimentation we're not in a bad position (some luck and a lot of tenacity) and I think the team named to play Monaghan is on paper anyway, the strongest side we've put out so far this year. Monaghan are going very well right now (should have more points) and will be boosted further by Colin Walshe and Jack McCarron, so the lads will need to pull out a big performance to get a result on Sunday. Despite their good form, lose on Sunday and Monaghan will find themselves in the frame for Div 2 speculation, the same as ourselves, with Kerry nailed on to push Meath closer to a second tier return. When you've been playing well and not getting the rewards like Monaghan have been there's bound to be a bit more pressure coming into this home game. I wouldn't rule out a draw but, based on the league so far, I'm thinking a 4 or 5 point defeat for us would be more likely, though there's hope of a surprise.

Pericles (Mayo) - Posts: 2067 - 20/02/2020 23:16:57    2268700

Link

Well all, safe trip down the road Sunday, Keep in mind Monaghan are playing Cavan in ladies beforehand be sure to get in early for a decent seat or parking. Look up Clones Gaa on Facebook or twitter. They have posts up about routes into the town and a map for parking and other facilities. Hoping for a great game and atmosphere to match it, Mayo always bring great support and are a sound bunch who love their football so I always love to see you's in my pitch, Have a good weekend and hope the weather is kind to us!!

MonaghanGlory (Monaghan) - Posts: 675 - 21/02/2020 13:20:07    2268790

Link

Replying To MonaghanGlory:  "Well all, safe trip down the road Sunday, Keep in mind Monaghan are playing Cavan in ladies beforehand be sure to get in early for a decent seat or parking. Look up Clones Gaa on Facebook or twitter. They have posts up about routes into the town and a map for parking and other facilities. Hoping for a great game and atmosphere to match it, Mayo always bring great support and are a sound bunch who love their football so I always love to see you's in my pitch, Have a good weekend and hope the weather is kind to us!!"
Has that ladies game not been changed??

MarkRule (Mayo) - Posts: 40 - 21/02/2020 23:17:17    2268917

Link

Replying To MarkRule:  "Has that ladies game not been changed??"
Correct it has, wasn't at that the time I wrote that. It's since been moved to Smithborough, a village 15 minutes from Clones. Throw up still at 12. Keep in mind a lot of the Cavan crowd will be passing through Clones now too.

MonaghanGlory (Monaghan) - Posts: 675 - 22/02/2020 12:20:46    2268960

Link

Well, we are in deep trouble now. Monaghan had a fairly strong team out and looked the sharper side throughout, though our lads gamely stuck at it for most of the game.

People will say Flynn's sending off changed the game (and to my mind his second yellow looked harsh) but what is more worrying is how open our defence is and how many goal chances we are giving up. Also, while a few of our new forward line are showing nice flashes here and there, we are still very reliant on the old guard to dig us out of trouble.

This perhaps was inevitable, given the (overdue?) need to blood new players and the lack of underage success in recent years.

Need at least one big win in the next three fixtures.

Gleebo (Mayo) - Posts: 1702 - 25/02/2020 09:58:22    2269980

Link

Is the available panel strong enough to get a result against Kerry, who themselves haven't been setting the world alight but will see the game against us as a chance to stay clear of any potential complications around relegation? The discipline thing will have to be addressed... poor tackling and ott challenges are killing us and any dead ball chances within 50m are going to be punished the next day by O'Shea. I've no doubt that Kerry will use Clifford and possibly Walsh to get scores from advanced marks.... they're both physically bigger than anyone likely to be marking them. Horan will be feeling a bit miffed at the tweet calling for his head... it's like an owner putting the heat on, which is totally inappropriate outside of professional sport.

Pericles (Mayo) - Posts: 2067 - 25/02/2020 10:19:30    2269986

Link

Replying To Gleebo:  "Well, we are in deep trouble now. Monaghan had a fairly strong team out and looked the sharper side throughout, though our lads gamely stuck at it for most of the game.

People will say Flynn's sending off changed the game (and to my mind his second yellow looked harsh) but what is more worrying is how open our defence is and how many goal chances we are giving up. Also, while a few of our new forward line are showing nice flashes here and there, we are still very reliant on the old guard to dig us out of trouble.

This perhaps was inevitable, given the (overdue?) need to blood new players and the lack of underage success in recent years.

Need at least one big win in the next three fixtures."
Delighted to see Aidan o Sea as captain. A fantastic player. Had a great game against Monaghan. Fair play to James Horan for giving so many young lads game time. They will be the better of it. We need to stay in Division 1 as it is seriously competitive and a great learning curve for our up and coming players. When you think the amount of players that is still missing for eg Ruane, Mc Donagh, Carr, Barrett, Vaughan, Seamie o sea, Harrison, Boyler, O Connor, Doherty. No other team would be able to do what we are doing. Tighten up a bit at the back, make sure we have a few free takers that can do a Dean rock and score every free available to us and we won't be far away. I dnt think Jordan Flynn should have been sent off. We have 3 games and treat each one like a final. Well capable of beating all 3 on our day.

BigJmchalepark (Mayo) - Posts: 19 - 25/02/2020 10:21:02    2269987

Link

Replying To BigJmchalepark:  "Delighted to see Aidan o Sea as captain. A fantastic player. Had a great game against Monaghan. Fair play to James Horan for giving so many young lads game time. They will be the better of it. We need to stay in Division 1 as it is seriously competitive and a great learning curve for our up and coming players. When you think the amount of players that is still missing for eg Ruane, Mc Donagh, Carr, Barrett, Vaughan, Seamie o sea, Harrison, Boyler, O Connor, Doherty. No other team would be able to do what we are doing. Tighten up a bit at the back, make sure we have a few free takers that can do a Dean rock and score every free available to us and we won't be far away. I dnt think Jordan Flynn should have been sent off. We have 3 games and treat each one like a final. Well capable of beating all 3 on our day."
Thought Aido had a quiet enough afternoon, though he put in a shift as always.

We are missing players, but tbh some of those you listed are long term casualties (Boyle, Doherty, Ruane?, Parsons) while others such as SOS and Donie haven't been nailed-on starters for a while now. It also seems that for whatever reason, Fionn McDonagh is out in the cold for the time being.

It's not impossible that we would win one or two of the last few games but we need to see a dramatic improvement tbh. I kinda believe that we are doing work that might have been done a few years back in blooding long-term replacements for some of our ageing stars, but it may take some short term pain to see results.

Gleebo (Mayo) - Posts: 1702 - 25/02/2020 11:03:45    2270004

Link

Replying To Gleebo:  "Thought Aido had a quiet enough afternoon, though he put in a shift as always.

We are missing players, but tbh some of those you listed are long term casualties (Boyle, Doherty, Ruane?, Parsons) while others such as SOS and Donie haven't been nailed-on starters for a while now. It also seems that for whatever reason, Fionn McDonagh is out in the cold for the time being.

It's not impossible that we would win one or two of the last few games but we need to see a dramatic improvement tbh. I kinda believe that we are doing work that might have been done a few years back in blooding long-term replacements for some of our ageing stars, but it may take some short term pain to see results."
From what I understand Fionn McDonagh won't be lining out during the league. What sort of injuries are Tom Parsons and Ruane carrying? Both fit, they'd be our first choice midfield.

Was reading a post or two in the Kerry pages and the realisation is there that while Donie Buckley brought on the Mayo players defensively he was working with top class lads. Kerry are trying to mould their guys into Boylers, Keegans etc, but the instincts have to be there. In all likelihood we could be finding the same before too long.

Pericles (Mayo) - Posts: 2067 - 25/02/2020 15:56:05    2270110

Link

Replying To Pericles:  "From what I understand Fionn McDonagh won't be lining out during the league. What sort of injuries are Tom Parsons and Ruane carrying? Both fit, they'd be our first choice midfield.

Was reading a post or two in the Kerry pages and the realisation is there that while Donie Buckley brought on the Mayo players defensively he was working with top class lads. Kerry are trying to mould their guys into Boylers, Keegans etc, but the instincts have to be there. In all likelihood we could be finding the same before too long."
Any idea why he's sitting out? I assume there must be an injury concern for him to get no game time at all.

festinog (Galway) - Posts: 2823 - 25/02/2020 21:27:48    2270194

Link

Replying To festinog:  "Any idea why he's sitting out? I assume there must be an injury concern for him to get no game time at all."
Fionn McDonagh is it? what I heard is he has got caught up in stuff outside of football, possession with intent to sell, so more than likely wont be around for the year, also similar happened with Ryan O Donoughue last year and thats why he wasnt involved but back again this year

tommy132 (Mayo) - Posts: 379 - 26/02/2020 08:23:28    2270236

Link

Replying To festinog:  "Any idea why he's sitting out? I assume there must be an injury concern for him to get no game time at all."
Alleged breach of discipline.

Horan is fairly steadfast on these things (remember Conor Mortimer?) so I'd be surprised if we saw him back this year.

Gleebo (Mayo) - Posts: 1702 - 26/02/2020 09:39:45    2270245

Link

It's by mutual agreement from what I heard Festy, to give the player space to sort out some personal issues, so not an injury. Hopefully we'll see Fionn back playing again soon... he showed huge promise for us last year and looked like he'd become a fixture in the half-forward line.

Pericles (Mayo) - Posts: 2067 - 26/02/2020 10:20:35    2270254

Link

Replying To tommy132:  "Fionn McDonagh is it? what I heard is he has got caught up in stuff outside of football, possession with intent to sell, so more than likely wont be around for the year, also similar happened with Ryan O Donoughue last year and thats why he wasnt involved but back again this year"
Heard the same.

Pericles (Mayo) - Posts: 2067 - 26/02/2020 10:24:58    2270255

Link

Thanks for the info lads. Hope he gets the help he needs to straighten himself out.

festinog (Galway) - Posts: 2823 - 27/02/2020 04:04:28    2270427

Link

Could we stop with all the rumours and innuendo on here lads. Even if you have it from the horses mouth, just trying to be first with breaking news is totally counter productive.
Negative stuff about individuals whether fact or rumour is out of order on here.
Let's talk about football and leave the players and management alone.

ponga (Mayo) - Posts: 490 - 27/02/2020 14:08:10    2270495

Link