Dublin Forum

2020. Six In A Row ?

(Oldest Posts First)

Jim gone, Dessie in.

Bernard Brogan + Eoghan O'Gara confirmed gone. Potentially a few others before the 2020 season starts ? We will see.

POCB, Darren Gavin, Kieran Kennedy, Conor McHugh, The Basquel brothers, Ciaran Archer, James Doran, to name a few who could potentially force their way into DF's plans short, medium and long term to supplement what's already there. Lots of questions.

So.. 6 in a row ? Can we ? Will we ? Do you care one way or the other ?

For me, I think that while we will remain at the top table competing, the domination for the time being, is over and I think Kerry will win the All Ireland next year based on absolutely nothing but gut instinct. I believe in success being cyclical and with each passing win, the inevitable loss in a big, close game is getting closer. Not to disparage Dublin, its just a natural ending to whats been an extraordinary period of success that I don't think many really envisaged after the 2014 defeat to Donegal.

As the old adage says. When you're at the very top, the only way is down and you cant be anything but immensely proud and grateful when the run comes to an end that we were there to witness it. Heroes.

That said, a new voice in the dressing room, Who himself will be motivated to get the best out of what he has and continue the run. It doesn't have to end at 5. All elite sportsmen and women want to keep winning and make hay while the sun shines. Maybe the motivation to not only be the first team to win 5 in a row, but build on that and make it 6 or 7 is a massive motivating factor going forward.

What are your gut instincts ?

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13523 - 13/12/2019 12:43:03    2254656

Link

I think Dublin have a very good opportunity to make it #6

Jim Gavin bulit a team made up of players that he empowered and educated, he instilled a culture that allowed for natural leadership to come to the fore, the team is full of leaders.

Leaders with high game intelligence and skill to burn but with a backbone of humility.

In fact it's not just game intelligence. They are just intelligent men full stop.

You put all those qualities together and I can say without hesitation that the players themselves will help manage this transition by simply continuing to be who they are.

Gavins legacy will be still kicking.

Continuity is the most important word.

For me Dessie is a very well suited appointment in that respect.

Dessie is a highly respected man in the eyes of many of the current squad. He has already proven his worth to them. He won AI medals with them.

The players will burst a gut wanting to play well for him and with the sheer quality already instilled in them from Jim Gavin and co, Dessie will soon learn that's like having a bunch of Trojan soldiers on your speed dial if you've a spot of bother that needs sorting.

Looking at the chasing pack Donegal were every bit as good as Kerry and Tyrone showed them up for large parts. Kerry have their problems and that's obvious at this stage.

I think we should concentrate on ourselves though.

They need to worry about Dublin. Not the other way around.

Dessie has some class material to construct great competition within the current squad, the Basquel brothers alone bring such quality, adding the other names you mentioned Wayno and it's a hugely encouraging time ahead in my opinion.

I'm actually quite buzzed about the year ahead. No other team in the history of the game has stood where Dublin currently find themselves. It's all new ground and for me as a supporter it's like nothing before and real boost to get out there and enjoy it.

Buzzing for the half dozen.

Up the Dubs 2020

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 19818 - 14/12/2019 10:35:25    2254801

Link

My own opinion is, we will be lucky to win it next year and id see getting to the Semi or final as a good year. I think its really hard to win an All Ireland as a manager in your first year, so i wouldn't have that expectation of Dessie. I would have felt that way in 13 as well with Gavin so im very open minded.

That said we are a great, great team, the greatest in my view. So i would never not back this group of players, but they owe us nothing. The five in a row felt like a culmination of something very very special. Logic dictates that their is a bullet in the post of a result for us coming and the change behind the scenes i think raises the risk of that. Thats fine, weve been in bonus territory for a bit now. So im just going to follow the Dubs this year, be open minded look at the building and hope for the best without feeling the need to win an All Ireland this year.

Im expecting a fair bit of upheaval and change myself. What i found really interesting has been Gavins consistent comments that someone new is needed to bring it on and grow, i dont think that is platitudes i think genuinely thinks this group needs a new voice, or there is another cycle of players coming that needs to be nurtured and developed.

Usually with these things there are a few casualties who dont make it from one regime to the next, either the manager looks to make a statement by dropping a stalwart or just doesn't fancy someone. When i look at the squad i see lads like, Andrews, MDM Macker, Cian, Philly and a few others who have given great service, but may not be assured of starting roles and will Dessie be as loyal to these lads as Jim has? Dessie will be looking at this as developing a squad for the next 3-5 years, there are many lads in our squad who wont be around over that timeline, so do you stick or twist. May be a bit of both and who do you keep and who do you bring another player in for. He may look to replenish or look at lads, who havent got much of a sniff. In the extended panel you can see McHugh (NF) and Collie B taking a step forward maybe at the expense of a Macker or Andrews, Im thinking of lads like R Basquel, the NF contingent Aaron Byrne, Doran etc, Steven Smith Skerries, Sean McMahon, Cormac Howley and maybe Clayton, lads not really involved under Gavin who may be brought in and looked at. Then there is last years contingent Gavin, POCB, Flatman, O Connor etc. Probably some other faces Dessie fancies i havent mentioned. While we all know about Archer and some of the other lads from the U 20s this year. If the starting 15 picks itself is may be a case of blooding, transitioning and developing the extended panel to keep the competition at fever pitch and that may come at the expense of moving on some great, great servants.

I also think Dessie will play very openly, its his way, while we will defend in pack and as a unit, i dont think his approach will be marked by the 14 semi defeat and we may see a return to the style similar to the 13/14 in swashbuckling open stuff. How that will play out in results we will have to see. Then we have the new rules to prepare for, personally i think it will turn football into horrible spectacle and sport for the next few years and massive regressive step, so how we exist in that is another question.

A few dilemma maybe waiting for him, if he does transition a few legends out what impact will that have on the squad , they all seem so close. Then you look at some tricky management pieces he might have inherited like Cluxton will he stick around, Dermo and all that brings. While also deciding whether to bring in his own people as a back room team or keep some of Jim management team in place. If memory serves correctly wasnt there a problem with Jayo at NF when he moved to Plunkets.

Its going to be an interesting time of building and transitioning and personally i would be surprised if we one Sam with so much going on and the amount of change, i certainly am looking at this year as a gap year, but if there is a group of players who could manage it it may be our starting 15, its a hope rather then expectation though. I dont think anyone could begrudge us a gap year.

Im looking forward to it, though watching the building and changing to an extent, there will be a real bit of spice and increased interest in the league this year to see how it all unfolds and go into the year with hope rather then maybe the expectation of success like the last few years.

We'l be there though, cant wait.

Up the Dubs.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 3245 - 15/12/2019 12:43:14    2254951

Link

Went and checked on the Jayo NF transfer, seemed like their was a little bit of beef at the time and Dessie was name checked by Jayo:

Management isn't something that Sherlock is interested in at the moment because he still sees himself as a player, but when he finishes up he may consider it. For now, he's concentrating on his club football with Plunkett's, with whom he has played for the last four years following his transfer from Na Fianna.

"I understand I was a bit different to most people who are born into a club, I played for Erins Isle and Na Fianna for a while, then I moved to play for Ballyhea in North Cork before coming back to Na Fianna again as a minor. I know people say you should have one club but that's the beauty of the GAA, it's different for everyone and it accepts you."

The decision to move from Na Fianna to Plunkett's wasn't made on a whim, Sherlock had won three Dublin championships and a Leinster club title with the Mobhi Road club. But nearly all of the guys he'd played with had moved on so much so that when he went into the dressing room, he didn't really know his team-mates.

"I asked myself two questions, was I enjoying it and did I feel I wanted to win? Both answers were no, so it didn't make any sense to stay. I met the manager, the executive board and Dessie [Farrell] to explain how I felt. None of them came back to me with a justifiable reason to stay so I didn't."

Dont know if any of that lingers.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 3245 - 15/12/2019 13:18:21    2254954

Link

I think Dessie will have a certain amount of muscle memory from the 95-96 teams and the approach Whelan took. Whelan went to make a lot of changes and it back fired.

I don't think Dessie will go in two footed and will have learnt a great deal from that time.

Again it only goes onto add another advantage he has and why I think this appointment will be an ideal transition

There's no doubt that some players are coming close to an end but I only see a couple of possible changes and I agree with your calls regarding Andrews/Kev

This might also just be the tonic for some talented Na Fianna forwards to really make the step up

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 19818 - 15/12/2019 13:57:14    2254963

Link

Mick Galvin being a former teammate and Na Fianna man might be in the mix ?

I'm just plucking that out of the air

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 19818 - 15/12/2019 14:05:52    2254966

Link

I'd echo what's been previously said.

For me Farrell's biggest challenge is to handle the transition. There are a number of players over 30 that are under pressure within the squad. That was easier for the likes of Jim Gavin to handle than for a new man coming in.

This past year very much felt like the end of something. Now that doesn't mean that Dublin will regress back to being also rans but it does mean that there is probably a regression of sorts on the way.

If Farrell moves too many on he could be in trouble or if he moves on too few and is over reliant on the older lads then he could be trouble too. He has to strike a balance in retaining those that still have enough to contribute and to promote those younger lads who's contribution can be better than those they are replacing.

It isn't an easy thing to do.

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 12867 - 16/12/2019 12:28:07    2255127

Link

Instinct is that the door is open now for Kerry to win it in 2020. It will be an interesting year and I'm looking forward to it.
Having done the five I'm fine with whatever happens but it would be good to see fresh blood introduced and continuing the competition for places.
I think we'll be back in the mix and maybe even make the final and if that happens I certainly wouldn't bet against us.

Dubh_linn (Dublin) - Posts: 2164 - 18/12/2019 18:16:37    2255518

Link

Merry Chri5tma5 to all my fellow Dub5 on here - Jack5 & Jackie5....

Enjoy the fe5tive period, and here i5 too another great year in 2020 from our Boy5 & Girl5 in Blue...

Cant wait to 5ee if we can keep it going and keep all tho5e begrudgers5 quiet for another while at lea5t - e5pecially the perennial kerry whinger5. Talk about embarra55ing ..... ;o)

I know I will certainly Winter well, and 5aviour our hi5toric 5 in a Row....

You can be damn 5ure no amount of whining and moaning from that other 5hower will dimini5h the joy I feel about what the Dub5 have ju5t achieved.

5o 5it back and enjoy the re-run5 of that historic day... . I know I will.

Happy Xma5 all.

Atha Cliath Abu....

Fionn (Dublin) - Posts: 2862 - 20/12/2019 09:48:29    2255665

Link

Shane Clayton on Dessie

"Speaking about Farrell's management style, the 'Boden full back added: "Very good. Very hands-on. Knows the game inside out. Doesn't leave any stone unturned. You're literally doing line-outs, kick-outs, throw-ups - every little part of the game that might pop up, we looked at everything.

"What to do if you're down by a goal in the last 10 minutes. What to do if you have a man black carded or sent off in the first five minutes - everything is looked at in detail."

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 19818 - 20/12/2019 13:44:40    2255690

Link

Great to see so very many posters and pundits making Kerry all Ireland favourites next year.
Takes the pressure off us big time.

The pressure to achieve the fabled 5 in a Row must have been huge on our players & management.
I know it totally consumed me.
It is like we can now take a breath and go for next year without so much pressure and with Dessie on board, a new lease of life and freshness will have been instilled into our players. Reset and go again with new individual and collective goals. I think it might have been a master stroke by Jim, just as others here have alluded to. The majority of our tram are still in their early and mid 20's and those who are older will have their game time carefully managed. Add to that Collie, POCB, and others coming into the squad and I think we should be ok.
For sure there will be a hell of a lot more pressure on those Kerry lads next year than there will be on us.
Make no mistake about it. The pressure on them in 2020 will be massive. And with a favourites tag, according to most, on them, it will just add to the expectations down there. And I am delighted it will be like that.
Another Sam for us will be a bonus and only that.
The 5 in a Row was massive in every sense.
Once Dessie doesn't change too much. We will have a great chance and will be totally refreshed.
Listening to the sound bites coming from our players the one word coming out of them all is Excitement -for next year. Compare that to the absolute pressure cooker that will be with the other shower from kerry.
I know which camp I would rather be in.

Up the Dub5.

Fionn (Dublin) - Posts: 2862 - 23/12/2019 17:23:36    2256015

Link

Replying To Fionn:  "Great to see so very many posters and pundits making Kerry all Ireland favourites next year.
Takes the pressure off us big time.

The pressure to achieve the fabled 5 in a Row must have been huge on our players & management.
I know it totally consumed me.
It is like we can now take a breath and go for next year without so much pressure and with Dessie on board, a new lease of life and freshness will have been instilled into our players. Reset and go again with new individual and collective goals. I think it might have been a master stroke by Jim, just as others here have alluded to. The majority of our tram are still in their early and mid 20's and those who are older will have their game time carefully managed. Add to that Collie, POCB, and others coming into the squad and I think we should be ok.
For sure there will be a hell of a lot more pressure on those Kerry lads next year than there will be on us.
Make no mistake about it. The pressure on them in 2020 will be massive. And with a favourites tag, according to most, on them, it will just add to the expectations down there. And I am delighted it will be like that.
Another Sam for us will be a bonus and only that.
The 5 in a Row was massive in every sense.
Once Dessie doesn't change too much. We will have a great chance and will be totally refreshed.
Listening to the sound bites coming from our players the one word coming out of them all is Excitement -for next year. Compare that to the absolute pressure cooker that will be with the other shower from kerry.
I know which camp I would rather be in.

Up the Dub5."
Love it.

Up The Dub5

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 19818 - 23/12/2019 20:22:09    2256033

Link

Well lads/lasses

It's been some decade, some year and some laugh on here over the last 16 years or so.

Merry Chri5tmas and a Dessie New Year to you!

I'm heading off, it's been a pleasure.

No more left to say or witness..

We saw, we conquered and we celebrated.

We've come full circle on here.

Fully content and satisfied as a Dub5 5upporter.

Really buzzed for next year and "I have a feeling this year's for me and you"

Best of luck to you in all your future endeavours and nothing but the very best to you and family.

See you on the Hill.. look for the fella that looks like a cross between Bernard Brogan and Cian O'Sullivan on a good day.. I'll be the weirdo standing next to him.

#Gavinlegend
#historymade
#recordsmashing
#GOAT

Up The Mun and Buzzin' For The Half Dozen

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 19818 - 24/12/2019 12:40:49    2256077

Link

Replying To jimbodub:  "Well lads/lasses

It's been some decade, some year and some laugh on here over the last 16 years or so.

Merry Chri5tmas and a Dessie New Year to you!

I'm heading off, it's been a pleasure.

No more left to say or witness..

We saw, we conquered and we celebrated.

We've come full circle on here.

Fully content and satisfied as a Dub5 5upporter.

Really buzzed for next year and "I have a feeling this year's for me and you"

Best of luck to you in all your future endeavours and nothing but the very best to you and family.

See you on the Hill.. look for the fella that looks like a cross between Bernard Brogan and Cian O'Sullivan on a good day.. I'll be the weirdo standing next to him.

#Gavinlegend
#historymade
#recordsmashing
#GOAT

Up The Mun and Buzzin' For The Half Dozen"
Cheers Jimbo.

We have been through the trenches together on here for sure. And we never backed down...!
Fought like our DUBLIN lives depended on it. ;o)

Have a great Xmas & here is to a fab New Year in 2020.

#5inaRow
#Legends
#BestEver
#Dub5forever.

Fionn (Dublin) - Posts: 2862 - 24/12/2019 19:22:54    2256104

Link