Dublin Forum

Dessie Farrell Era: Dublin 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To TheUsername:  "Its what the league is all about for me FOB, its all about emerging talent so i tune in on the new players at the game.

Dessie seems set on Howard at midfield to me and perhaps the lack of a MDM, Gavin or POCB is evidence that, though i dont know if the lads are injured or what. I see Emmet O C has been knocking around on the bench to. Still early days mind. But a Howard and Fenton midfield looks to be tried out in the main, id still like to see some of the other names though.

If we do stick with Howard and Fenton we have a space in the half forward line, possibility a Dermo shaped space, i believe we are due to see him in the latter stages of the league, or Aron Byrne or Seanie could slip in there, be hard work taking a shirt of a fully fit Dermo though."
POCB has been playing Sigerson so maybe Dessie wanted to leave him at it. I think, but not sure, that Gavin was abroad for a while but is now back. Personally I think that Howard has been a bit anonymous in midfield in the opening 3 games. He's lacked real presence there I thought and we've struggled in the middle on opposition kick outs. Perhaps a POCB or Gavin would give us better fielding options and allow Fento to roam. Howard could then slot back into the half forwards. Dessie seems keen to stick with the Scully link-up role which I think blunts our attack a bit and slows our transition from defence. I don't see real benefit in Niall dropping to the half back line to pick up a ball to solo it up to his own position. Our half backs can do that with Scully up there as one of the targets. We just don't move the ball quickly enough and nearly paid the price against Monaghan. Certainly Bugler, Byrne and Paddy S all knocking on the door for a start. I think O'Brien and McHugh have looked light and are a bit behind.

Joxer (Dublin) - Posts: 4197 - 18/02/2020 11:29:09    2268301

Link

Replying To Joxer:  "POCB has been playing Sigerson so maybe Dessie wanted to leave him at it. I think, but not sure, that Gavin was abroad for a while but is now back. Personally I think that Howard has been a bit anonymous in midfield in the opening 3 games. He's lacked real presence there I thought and we've struggled in the middle on opposition kick outs. Perhaps a POCB or Gavin would give us better fielding options and allow Fento to roam. Howard could then slot back into the half forwards. Dessie seems keen to stick with the Scully link-up role which I think blunts our attack a bit and slows our transition from defence. I don't see real benefit in Niall dropping to the half back line to pick up a ball to solo it up to his own position. Our half backs can do that with Scully up there as one of the targets. We just don't move the ball quickly enough and nearly paid the price against Monaghan. Certainly Bugler, Byrne and Paddy S all knocking on the door for a start. I think O'Brien and McHugh have looked light and are a bit behind."
He was playing for UCD Jox and they were knocked out in the semis and we have seen P. Small, Even and Bugler from DCU who made the final Sean McMahon was DCU to and hes been on the bench. Im speculating of course, just odd he hasnt been around, maybe hes injured i really dont know, in reality hes only just gone 20 so hes still very young. You would have thought if fit though he would have had a look in given he made the bench for the first final last year. I guess we dont really know. Thats good about Gavin hopefully hes still involved.

Cant say ive noticed about Howard, before reading your post i would have said hes been very good, but maybe im missing something and i am a bit of a fan boy of his. I would have called him to be tried in midfield in the past, but i was hugely impressed with how good he was in the half back line and how he dictated play in the first final last year when he went back there, id nearly give him a go at 6.

I know where you are coming from on Scully, its a question for us going forward, i wouldn't be down on him to much and i understand the protection he and Howard give in the back lines, it does make us that bit pedestrian on the break. Its a question for Dessie going on, do we go full 13/14 and just open up. Or do we go with two hybrid half forwards half backs and stop getting overwhelmed at the back. I'm in two mind on that myself. The Scully and Howard option really helps on the counter, but teams have been playing less and less with specialized blanket system and the break. Looking at it last year and this most teams have started playing a bit more open - whether we need to be as careful with the two covering half forwards i think is a big question, i haven't quite decided myself.

What 15 would you like to see pal?

Agree on McHugh and O Brien.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 3244 - 18/02/2020 14:02:04    2268314

Link

Replying To TheUsername:  "He was playing for UCD Jox and they were knocked out in the semis and we have seen P. Small, Even and Bugler from DCU who made the final Sean McMahon was DCU to and hes been on the bench. Im speculating of course, just odd he hasnt been around, maybe hes injured i really dont know, in reality hes only just gone 20 so hes still very young. You would have thought if fit though he would have had a look in given he made the bench for the first final last year. I guess we dont really know. Thats good about Gavin hopefully hes still involved.

Cant say ive noticed about Howard, before reading your post i would have said hes been very good, but maybe im missing something and i am a bit of a fan boy of his. I would have called him to be tried in midfield in the past, but i was hugely impressed with how good he was in the half back line and how he dictated play in the first final last year when he went back there, id nearly give him a go at 6.

I know where you are coming from on Scully, its a question for us going forward, i wouldn't be down on him to much and i understand the protection he and Howard give in the back lines, it does make us that bit pedestrian on the break. Its a question for Dessie going on, do we go full 13/14 and just open up. Or do we go with two hybrid half forwards half backs and stop getting overwhelmed at the back. I'm in two mind on that myself. The Scully and Howard option really helps on the counter, but teams have been playing less and less with specialized blanket system and the break. Looking at it last year and this most teams have started playing a bit more open - whether we need to be as careful with the two covering half forwards i think is a big question, i haven't quite decided myself.

What 15 would you like to see pal?

Agree on McHugh and O Brien."
Yeah it's a real balancing act. I think we're struggling to impose ourselves in midfield. It's not always obvious on our kick outs as we go short but clearly the opposition are targeting the centre of the park as a fielding weakness area on their kick outs. Kerry and Monaghan both got the better of us there I think. I guess Dessie has to find his feet so reluctant to mess with a formula that has worked. I'd like to go with a few tweaks. Nothing against Scully, he's a smashing baller but perhaps a luxury having him and Howard starting in the half forwards. Let Brian provide some cover across the middle and transition the ball quicker to our forwards. We need more mobility in the corners, bit of pace and lads ahead of the ball. Put it into them early and let Mannion, Bugler, Byrne use their pace to take on back. Obviously come Summer we'd have Jack back and other options with Philly, Rory, Dermo (hopefully).

Comerford
Fitzy
Cooper (when back)
Davey
Small
James
Lowndes
Fento
POCB
Howard
Kilkenny
Byrne
Bugler
Rock
Mannion

Joxer (Dublin) - Posts: 4197 - 18/02/2020 15:25:17    2268325

Link

Replying To Joxer:  "Yeah it's a real balancing act. I think we're struggling to impose ourselves in midfield. It's not always obvious on our kick outs as we go short but clearly the opposition are targeting the centre of the park as a fielding weakness area on their kick outs. Kerry and Monaghan both got the better of us there I think. I guess Dessie has to find his feet so reluctant to mess with a formula that has worked. I'd like to go with a few tweaks. Nothing against Scully, he's a smashing baller but perhaps a luxury having him and Howard starting in the half forwards. Let Brian provide some cover across the middle and transition the ball quicker to our forwards. We need more mobility in the corners, bit of pace and lads ahead of the ball. Put it into them early and let Mannion, Bugler, Byrne use their pace to take on back. Obviously come Summer we'd have Jack back and other options with Philly, Rory, Dermo (hopefully).

Comerford
Fitzy
Cooper (when back)
Davey
Small
James
Lowndes
Fento
POCB
Howard
Kilkenny
Byrne
Bugler
Rock
Mannion"
I must keep an eye on the ball winning the last day, i know we were wiped out Vs Monagahn, but thought we did ok in the first half Vs Kerry and second Vs Mayo. Are we misisng the mian man and his kicking! Thats the thing with Howard hes such a lovely footballer, you can see the skill set to be an excellent midfielder, but arguably hes a powerful addition to that line if he can flood from the half forwards or half back making it a three instead of a two, its a tricky one. Dessie seems to want him and Fenton in there, so far any how.

I think the half forward line is going to be really competitive this year, Niall has played every game, but you wouldn't know whether that him having to prove his worth again or Dessie liking him, think hes doing the same with Macker and P Andrews having to reporve themselves, Paddy looked absolutely gutted the last night when he got injured. Potentially we have Kilkenny, Dermo, Howard, Scully, Bugler and Byrne all looking for a spot in the half forwards. Loads of options to play any way really. Certainly Bugler and Byrne can get in behind. If i had to call it i think Dessie if going to go an awful lot more open then Jim did.

Hard to argue with that team pal would love to see it, Donegal be a tough nut to crack, good players. be a good two points heading of to Omagh and Salthill.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 3244 - 19/02/2020 11:01:26    2268413

Link