Westmeath Forum

Westmeath Hurling 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To jobber:  "Cork scored four times from play last week in Mullingar where were your comments then.Laois have been eight years in division 1 and it stood to them in Mcdonagh in 2019.Our guys have to learn and with a small squad we will be very prone to a number of injuries like we have now.We desperately need to get our best team out in two weeks.If you have nothing positive to say about A hugely committed group why don't you concentrate on Wexford or are they doing too well for you."
Exactly, the whingers only come out when we are beaten. The lads are putting in a huge effort and it is difficult with the amount of injuries we have. Everyone knew from the beginning that the most important game we would have in the league was the relegation game which is where our focus should be now. Why was young Coll substituted after only 23 minutes today? He's a good young hurler with a bright future. The same was done to O'Reilly against Waterford

Dheen (Westmeath) - Posts: 8 - 23/02/2020 20:43:40    2269449

Link

Replying To jobber:  "Cork scored four times from play last week in Mullingar where were your comments then.Laois have been eight years in division 1 and it stood to them in Mcdonagh in 2019.Our guys have to learn and with a small squad we will be very prone to a number of injuries like we have now.We desperately need to get our best team out in two weeks.If you have nothing positive to say about A hugely committed group why don't you concentrate on Wexford or are they doing too well for you."
Nobody is questioning the commitment of the group. They are nearly to a man a decent bunch of blokes off the field.

However there are concerns surrounding the management.

Why was the goalkeeper was taken off at half time today. When have you ever seen a top Hurling county do that?

What were the reasons behind the number one goalkeeper from 2019 walking off the panel?

Why have so many young played been taken off in the first half of games?

There are serious concerns and questions hanging over the manager

LockLeanGayl (Westmeath) - Posts: 55 - 23/02/2020 21:08:45    2269467

Link

Our physical conditioning is light years behind other teams in Div One. That can be addressed by the players themselves on and off the training ground. Our discipline is another area of concern. Competing with 14 men at this level is impossible.

Bellewest (Westmeath) - Posts: 142 - 23/02/2020 21:13:29    2269472

Link

Replying To LockLeanGayl:  "Bigger pitch suit us? Against the All-Ireland champions? Whatever you're on I'll have two of them please!!

We have been awful today. Tipp took the foot off the pedal second half, yet again we tagged on four or five points when it didn't matter

That's a huge score to concede in the league. Going to be a massive battle to beat Carlow with the way we are going"
westmeath hurling people need to get behind the team now and stop saying how awful they are etc. I was going on the fact on how well they seemed to play in thurles two years ago on the big pitch. Things didnt work out that way today, mistake by keeper and sending off early in the second half against possibly the strongest squad in the country with a point to prove today after a poor league opening. Westmeath are punching above their weight at the moment for the first time in over 30 years and a hiding or two will be given out along the way but its still a learning curve. i still think Carlow can be taken in the relegation final, as i think their best days are behind them and remember they were in a far easier group. The top 2 All ireland contenders are in westmeaths group along with galway and cork and a re emerging Waterford.

preddan (Kildare) - Posts: 458 - 23/02/2020 21:49:36    2269496

Link

Replying To preddan:  "westmeath hurling people need to get behind the team now and stop saying how awful they are etc. I was going on the fact on how well they seemed to play in thurles two years ago on the big pitch. Things didnt work out that way today, mistake by keeper and sending off early in the second half against possibly the strongest squad in the country with a point to prove today after a poor league opening. Westmeath are punching above their weight at the moment for the first time in over 30 years and a hiding or two will be given out along the way but its still a learning curve. i still think Carlow can be taken in the relegation final, as i think their best days are behind them and remember they were in a far easier group. The top 2 All ireland contenders are in westmeaths group along with galway and cork and a re emerging Waterford."
Why take Josh Coll off after 23mins? It's his first season, are they trying to destroy the young lad?

And McHugh at half time. Same question

Nobody minds the results. They were expected if we are being honest. But no one wants to see felahs being made game of either...

LockLeanGayl (Westmeath) - Posts: 55 - 23/02/2020 22:17:38    2269515

Link

Replying To LockLeanGayl:  "Why take Josh Coll off after 23mins? It's his first season, are they trying to destroy the young lad?

And McHugh at half time. Same question

Nobody minds the results. They were expected if we are being honest. But no one wants to see felahs being made game of either..."
I agree with you on Josh Coll, he's only 18. He's a fine hurler and their was no harm in giving him the game today, or at least 50 minutes. The management have been poor in that regard as he was on the panel for the previous 3 league games and they didn't even bring him on.. then they just throw him in today against Tipp and take him off after 23 minutes? Hopefully it doesn't affect his confidence or the other young players that have been getting this treatment from the management. We have to get the Limerick game out of the way now and focus on Carlow, its important we get our best 15 out that day and put in a performance similar to the one against Cork, maybe even better.

Dheen (Westmeath) - Posts: 8 - 23/02/2020 22:51:41    2269530

Link

Replying To Dheen:  "I agree with you on Josh Coll, he's only 18. He's a fine hurler and their was no harm in giving him the game today, or at least 50 minutes. The management have been poor in that regard as he was on the panel for the previous 3 league games and they didn't even bring him on.. then they just throw him in today against Tipp and take him off after 23 minutes? Hopefully it doesn't affect his confidence or the other young players that have been getting this treatment from the management. We have to get the Limerick game out of the way now and focus on Carlow, its important we get our best 15 out that day and put in a performance similar to the one against Cork, maybe even better."
Agreed

Everything that's gone before is just noise if we beat Carlow

I'm worried that if we lose it will be hard to pick it up for McDonagh

If we win it could be the shot in the arm needed to drive on and win it

LockLeanGayl (Westmeath) - Posts: 55 - 24/02/2020 10:53:42    2269623

Link

Replying To Bellewest:  "Our physical conditioning is light years behind other teams in Div One. That can be addressed by the players themselves on and off the training ground. Our discipline is another area of concern. Competing with 14 men at this level is impossible."
It's very hard for players to do gym work between league games
It's about recovery really.

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1705 - 24/02/2020 20:24:23    2269871

Link

Replying To valley84:  "It's very hard for players to do gym work between league games
It's about recovery really."
The reality is it will take three years with the kind of management we have to physically be at the same level.I would say the mistake with Coll and Mckeogh was not the taking off but the starting.Carlow is the big one so they need to get ready.Limerick is unfortunately in the middle and will have to be got over.

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 719 - 25/02/2020 09:31:48    2269973

Link

Replying To jobber:  "The reality is it will take three years with the kind of management we have to physically be at the same level.I would say the mistake with Coll and Mckeogh was not the taking off but the starting.Carlow is the big one so they need to get ready.Limerick is unfortunately in the middle and will have to be got over."
Yeah I think with the likes of Coll, they need to be brought on off the bench. The last 20/25 minutes of games, not just throwing them in against the All Ireland champions straight away. It's better to integrate young players into the team gradually. He is a talented forward just very young, and its forwards we need. On that note, Is there anything to be said about moving Aonghus up the field into the forwards and maybe moving Craig into centre back? We need more fire power up front and a lot of our injured players to return are defenders so it could be one solution to our scoring problems. Also the management would be mad not to ask Niall O'Brien in for the Joe Mcdonagh when he's back home this year. We have a lot of good defenders, Jogger, Varley, Ennis, Craig, Egerton, Gallagher etc. We are fine in that department.. We just need that bit more up front. I know Aonghus has been hurling very well at centre back but it could be something they try in a game. I would be looking to try that and get O'Brien in for Joe Mcdonagh to add to the Doyle's and Mitchell in that forward line. I know it was Tipp we were playing and down to 14 men, but a return of 5 points from play wont cut it.

Dheen (Westmeath) - Posts: 8 - 25/02/2020 10:33:15    2269989

Link

Replying To Dheen:  "Yeah I think with the likes of Coll, they need to be brought on off the bench. The last 20/25 minutes of games, not just throwing them in against the All Ireland champions straight away. It's better to integrate young players into the team gradually. He is a talented forward just very young, and its forwards we need. On that note, Is there anything to be said about moving Aonghus up the field into the forwards and maybe moving Craig into centre back? We need more fire power up front and a lot of our injured players to return are defenders so it could be one solution to our scoring problems. Also the management would be mad not to ask Niall O'Brien in for the Joe Mcdonagh when he's back home this year. We have a lot of good defenders, Jogger, Varley, Ennis, Craig, Egerton, Gallagher etc. We are fine in that department.. We just need that bit more up front. I know Aonghus has been hurling very well at centre back but it could be something they try in a game. I would be looking to try that and get O'Brien in for Joe Mcdonagh to add to the Doyle's and Mitchell in that forward line. I know it was Tipp we were playing and down to 14 men, but a return of 5 points from play wont cut it."
I agree Clarke is playing very well at centre back but he could be the play maker at centre forward like he is with Castle town.The forwards apart from Joey Boyle and this year McNicholas aren't working hard enough and some of them clearly haven't trained at the same level as others.They are some very skilled players but that's not enough at the level we are playing at now.Niall O Brien would be a massive help but will he be home in time to play Mcdonagh?

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 719 - 25/02/2020 10:58:15    2270001

Link

Having been at all the league games this year i think it's fair to say we're not a bad team at all. The results in terms of wins/losses were expected. And with the exception of the Tipp game, there has been positives to take from the rest. A few questions i would have which i have already seen mentioned in a couple of above posts are. Who is the best keeper in Westmeath? Without being too harsh our current no.1 surely cannot be it? Do we really need Clarke in the defense, yes, he can be and probably is one of our top men there but are we missing a trick not having some in the forwards? Especially at a time we seem to find scores from play a rare thing? I personally would like to see the lads stay up in division 1 again next year, as i think tough tests and performances mean more this time of the year than wins/losses. I agree with an above post though, the outcome of the relegation final could have huge baring on the McDonagh cup run. Regardless whether you've been to a game or not, it would be great if we had a huge following for that relegation final. Carlow don't look hectic either but certainly won't fear playing us so should make for an interesting battle

gaamanmad (Westmeath) - Posts: 71 - 25/02/2020 14:07:42    2270070

Link