Kerry Forum

Kerry National League 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Horsebox77:  "A lot are down on Geaney, I think we're being overly harsh. But I suppose he may also give a danger option off the bench. I just think we need a right good look at Graham and Liam, I've be harping on about the two of the, all winter as ye know from my posts. Liam really impressed me last night. It's some feat to play your first ever kerry game in Croker against Dublin. that can't have been easy.. next weeks clash I'll be another open affair, Galway play nice open football under Joyce.

I was raging I missed last night but off next Sat night so will be heading in after work.

What's the story with Sherwood and Tom Sullivan? We're developing a nice panel already"
Sherwood is injured, will miss the first 2 or 3 games. Tom is also carrying an injury not sure for how long he will be out for but I don't think it's too serious so he should be back soon. No sign of Barry Mahony or Rob Wharton even on the bench last night, are they injured?

It was a very good game for this type of year. I was delighted with JOD's performance especially in the first half. Wouldn't it be fantastic if he could have an injury free year. Clifford was his usual brilliant best, great so see him score a goal I think he will score a lot more goals this year. Paul Murphy was very good. Gavin O'Brien did reasonably well, he has potential and should be persisted with. I thought Enright struggled a bit. Seanie, Stephen O'Brien and Geaney don't seem to be in the best of form which is perfectly fine this time of year. Liam Kearney really had a good 2nd half after a bit of a nervous start which is very promising.

2 things we really need to work on that are the same as what we needed to work on after the All Ireland is game management as in closing out games and giving options for kickouts. That's fine as there was very little work done since the All Ireland. I'm sure these will be improved upon before championship.

Kerry15 (Kerry) - Posts: 408 - 26/01/2020 23:01:42    2262727

Link

Third time trying to post my thoughts on the match, no idea why the last two weren't posted.
If this keeps up I won't be sticking around much longer.

Anyho, last night was decent but not exactly Championship.

Kerry were very slow out of the blocks very sluggish and had no real zip or energy for most of that first half.
But once the goal went in they sprung into life a bit more.
King David, Captain Fantastic, already we're running out of titles for him - WHAT A GOAL.
Thought Seanie and Murphy also played well but the Dubs are really getting scared of Dave if the nastiness at the end is anything to go by.

We were the better team in the second half and should have really seen things home when we went 3 up.
Have to say the ref, as seems usual with Dublin, was wearing a Blue jersey himself.
No way was that a penalty, the ball was thrown for a start. He gave them a couple of soft scores too near the end to keep them in the game.

But ultimately it was our own mistakes that cost us, some very sloppy play that gifted Dublin possession and Shane Ryan had an awful wobble towards the end.
Thought Walsh was anonymous and Geaney too. Why the hell didn't we try and use the advanced mark at least once?

But yeah that Kearney lad had some game when he came on! Another potentially great find.

So look should have won but it's good to have got something out of the game.

Was rescinded to not getting to see too much more of the League, but the bloods pumping with the GAA back and going to try everything to get down got new Saturday.

One big gripe about yesterday, the booing, jeering, whistling from the Dubs when we were taking frees was horrible. All sections were at it and they should be ashamed of themselves.
Doing that to amateur players for a bloody League game in January.
Pretty shoody stuff

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5242 - 26/01/2020 23:34:48    2262735

Link

The red thumbs are actually hilarious. What kind of sad individual gets satisfaction from it? I went back over the past few pages and red thumbs everywhere. It's downright weird.

GeniusGerry (Kerry) - Posts: 1698 - 27/01/2020 00:27:40    2262745

Link

Replying To GeniusGerry:  "The red thumbs are actually hilarious. What kind of sad individual gets satisfaction from it? I went back over the past few pages and red thumbs everywhere. It's downright weird."
Ah Gerry at this stage I consider a red thumb a compliment, I tried starting a thread on main forum about it but was shot down.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4376 - 27/01/2020 08:41:30    2262768

Link

Lads wasn't it Oscar wilde that said the worst thing than been talked about is not been talked about, or something like that, at least we know we've a good following on here as we have a good vibrant forum,

Nice to know we're living inside a few sad individuals heads as well :-)

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 10254 - 27/01/2020 10:49:01    2262823

Link

I see RTE made a big song and dance about Rock showing David some appreciation, great fair play.
But they say nothing about his buddies tearing the shirt off David's back seconds later.
A very strange editorial decision to say the least!!

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5242 - 27/01/2020 15:58:09    2262943

Link

How many red thumbs can I get on this post? 10 or more and I will give ye a pat on the back.

Kerry15 (Kerry) - Posts: 408 - 27/01/2020 16:51:37    2262963

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "I see RTE made a big song and dance about Rock showing David some appreciation, great fair play.
But they say nothing about his buddies tearing the shirt off David's back seconds later.
A very strange editorial decision to say the least!!"
Sure who's going to say anything the hermit, back in the 00s how many players did we lose to pundits taking us a part on the Sunday game and the CCCC only happy to step in and drop the axe.

I watched the game back last night and there was 2 belts delivered to kerry players as plain to see as anything from Mccarthy and scully also small was the 3rd man in that's an automatic red according to the rules as is striking or attempting to strike.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 10254 - 27/01/2020 17:14:14    2262968

Link

Replying To Kerry15:  "How many red thumbs can I get on this post? 10 or more and I will give ye a pat on the back."
Maybe they could start a least popular posters table on the main forum. I'd say the Kingdom would be heavily represented ;D

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5242 - 27/01/2020 18:50:03    2262994

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "Maybe they could start a least popular posters table on the main forum. I'd say the Kingdom would be heavily represented ;D"
That thumb thing was an interesting idea for a few months but it's only a pure joke now, and it has out lived its usefulness a long time ago.

Maybe hoganstand should do a poll on it and run it for a week and that way the people will decide.

Before if you agreed with someone you just gave a +1 and people knew where you stood on a matter.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 10254 - 27/01/2020 21:03:52    2263034

Link

Ah lads dispense with red thumb thoughts and concentrate on ball. PK gave away no update on injuries but he did say last week that Sherwood would miss the first three games and Crowley would be back for the new league,he also said that Tom Sullivan had only a minor knock that they were monitoring after week one so he ma6 be available for Galway.

With long treks up north on the way maybe a case or monitoring and using caution for the Na Gaeil and Templenoe lads as they have been going hard all winter, as said earlier I would like to see more backs getting a run out as we appear to have adequate cover for the double number positions.

As said earlier going on recent form and progression that they have made Liam Kearney and Graham Sullivan would ideally get the start next Saturday night. Hopefully they will.

I noticed too that Morley's right knee was strapped in a Croker, any niggle should be monitored.

TT was interesting tonight, a question was asked to clarify the Adrain Spillane knock and why play continued, stopping play is up to the referees discretion and unless serious or a head injury play may continue

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4376 - 27/01/2020 21:46:20    2263056

Link

I think Morley is very loose at full back we should be trying out other options

traleegerry (Kerry) - Posts: 557 - 28/01/2020 12:22:12    2263172

Link

Replying To traleegerry:  "I think Morley is very loose at full back we should be trying out other options"
Wouldn't agree I think he is very good back there. Strong, tight and a stready presence. He has done very well on top class opponents.

Kerry15 (Kerry) - Posts: 408 - 28/01/2020 15:58:36    2263234

Link

Replying To Kerry15:  "Wouldn't agree I think he is very good back there. Strong, tight and a stready presence. He has done very well on top class opponents."
Definitely. One of the better full backs in last year's championship and vital to Kerry going forward imo

GeniusGerry (Kerry) - Posts: 1698 - 28/01/2020 18:51:45    2263279

Link

Wow 8 thumbs down, some of us are very popular today ;D

Anyway guys, before I suppose we turn our attention to Galway could I ask how you would sum up what you saw of Kerry Saturday night?

Happy with the draw, or unhappy?
Optimistic for the year ahead or pessimistic?
What have we got right, what do you think we still need to do to be a serious bet for silverware this year?
Let's be honest we're expecting Kerry to be there or there abouts come September.
I certainly am.

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5242 - 28/01/2020 19:56:04    2263290

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "Wow 8 thumbs down, some of us are very popular today ;D

Anyway guys, before I suppose we turn our attention to Galway could I ask how you would sum up what you saw of Kerry Saturday night?

What have we got right, what do you think we still need to do to be a serious bet for silverware this year?
Let's be honest we're expecting Kerry to be there or there abouts come September.
I certainly am."
I'm disppointed we lost but I'm always disappointed when we don't win so that's nothing new.

I'm disappointed we've seemed to lean nothing from the the allireland final that we're ove 4 months ago.

I was disappointed that our older players allowed our young lads get bullied and that they didn't lay down a few markers.

I'm happy we know Seánie isn't a midfielder..

I'm happy all our young lads stood up and were counted when it mattered.

I hope we win the allireland but until I see sam motoring down the M7 I won't believe that we can win it.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 10254 - 28/01/2020 20:57:17    2263315

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "Wow 8 thumbs down, some of us are very popular today ;D

I certainly am."
To answer your questions yes, very happy with the draw, you leave Croker against one of the best teams of all time with a draw, blooded players, enhanced the experience of more and left Croker cheat out that we won't be bullied or pushed around. That and kicking 20 scored in 80 odd minutes is an added bonus.

There are still areas to work on, when ran at we were still porous, in that regard I don't think Crowley is our centre man, on the wing most definitely, and he's one of the first names on my team, but would keep him on the wing,

The bonus for me was the debut of Liam Kearney and how he equipped himself in the second half, that and solid showing of Graham Sullivan but the real bonus for me was the impressive showing by James O'Donoghue.

This was a draw against a team of 11 of Dublin's starting XX by a team that can add in to their match panel the following; Sherwood, Tom Sullivan, Peter Crowley, Gavin White, Jack Barry, Diarmuid O'Connor, David Moran, Spillane, Dara Moynihan and possible newcomers Brosnan and. Shaw.

Definitely more plus than minus bus winning the three home games is imperative and this starts with the visit of Galway on Saturday, a Galway under new management, a management team that all Gaa folk in Galway want including players , playing open expansive ball that players have bought into and now bolstered by the Corofin lads Kevin Walsh choose to omit.

This will be an open game and we to progress players... in this regard I hope Graham and Liam start in central roles.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4376 - 28/01/2020 21:01:17    2263317

Link

Jez Hermit, I'm nearly half as popular as you.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4376 - 28/01/2020 23:03:03    2263364

Link