Fermanagh Forum

FERMANAGH SENIOR COUNTY SQUAD 2020

(Oldest Posts First)

Here are most of if not all the county senior squad from the past season plus a number of potential players that could be added to the squad for the 2020 season. Therefore, the new Fermanagh manager, Ryan McMenamin (Dromore) along with his management team, Joe McMahon (Omagh) and Paul McIver (Ballinderry) will be reviewing their chosen squad. It will be interesting to see who they will keep, bring back or introduce as new to the squad, so here are players for consideration:
James McGrath
Thomas Treacy
Lee Cullen
Che Cullen
Tiarnan Daly
Jonathan Cassidy
Declan McCusker
James McMahon
Aidan Breen
Ryan Jones
Eoin Donnelly
Ultan Kelm
Garvan Jones
Conall Jones
Paul McCusker
Darragh McGurn
Sean Quilgey
Ciaran Corrigan
Barry Mulrone
Richard O'Callaghan
Ryan Lyons
Kane Connor
Daniel Teague
Cian McManus
Ruairi Corrigan
Kevin McDonnell
Enda Ferris
Conor McGee
Tomas Clarke
Cian McManus
Tomas Corrigan
Potential new recruits:
Stephen McGullion - Derrygonnelly
Gary McKenna - Derrygonnelly
Eoin Beacom - Enniskillen
Daire O'Cathain - Kinawley
James Allen - Kinawley
Eoin McManus - Teemore
Sean Cassidy - Ederney
Mark McCauley - Ederney
Finbar Gillen - Ederney
Edward Courtney - Aghadrumsee
Darragh McBrien - Belnaleck
Daniel Leonard - Derrylin
James Duffy - Irvinestown
Jason Flanagan - Newtownbulter
Tiarnan Bogue - Tempo
Rory McCaffery - Tempo

erneboy (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1237 - 18/10/2019 10:31:18    2244191

Link

Replying To erneboy:  "Here are most of if not all the county senior squad from the past season plus a number of potential players that could be added to the squad for the 2020 season. Therefore, the new Fermanagh manager, Ryan McMenamin (Dromore) along with his management team, Joe McMahon (Omagh) and Paul McIver (Ballinderry) will be reviewing their chosen squad. It will be interesting to see who they will keep, bring back or introduce as new to the squad, so here are players for consideration:
James McGrath
Thomas Treacy
Lee Cullen
Che Cullen
Tiarnan Daly
Jonathan Cassidy
Declan McCusker
James McMahon
Aidan Breen
Ryan Jones
Eoin Donnelly
Ultan Kelm
Garvan Jones
Conall Jones
Paul McCusker
Darragh McGurn
Sean Quilgey
Ciaran Corrigan
Barry Mulrone
Richard O'Callaghan
Ryan Lyons
Kane Connor
Daniel Teague
Cian McManus
Ruairi Corrigan
Kevin McDonnell
Enda Ferris
Conor McGee
Tomas Clarke
Cian McManus
Tomas Corrigan
Potential new recruits:
Stephen McGullion - Derrygonnelly
Gary McKenna - Derrygonnelly
Eoin Beacom - Enniskillen
Daire O'Cathain - Kinawley
James Allen - Kinawley
Eoin McManus - Teemore
Sean Cassidy - Ederney
Mark McCauley - Ederney
Finbar Gillen - Ederney
Edward Courtney - Aghadrumsee
Darragh McBrien - Belnaleck
Daniel Leonard - Derrylin
James Duffy - Irvinestown
Jason Flanagan - Newtownbulter
Tiarnan Bogue - Tempo
Rory McCaffery - Tempo"
Pretty nice list, can't really think of many more suitable players in the county!

Would love to see some of that Hogan cup winning side training with the seniors, no need to play them but get them in the county mindset.

allfermanagh (Fermanagh) - Posts: 76 - 18/10/2019 10:58:49    2244198

Link

Kildare H, Roscommon A, ,Westmeath A, Cavan H, Armagh H, Clare A , Laois H
Great to see the league fixtures out also and 4 home games,though with 2 ulster derbies Division 2 will be another huge scrap,especially if Tier 2 is voted in tomorrow based on 2020 league standings.

Good to see posters suggesting players for the 2020 panel,some hope with the hogan cup winners,though agree not to rush them all in straight away,im sure management clued in on this also.

Ricey has confirmed that both Corrigans are back,which is a huge boost,while also in the panel again is James Allen, with Brandon Horan, Eoin Shields(Belcoo), Tiernan Bogue and Lee Jones called in. Havnt heard of any other new panel members.
Dont think will have lost many from the 2019 squad,though think its crucial to get Thomas Treacy back on board for goals. Agree with some posters in saying Eoin McManus and Eddie Corrigan are worth a look again in McKenna cup,while think Lorcan McStravick could be a player to step up to the mark next season

macca999 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 879 - 18/10/2019 15:10:01    2244249

Link

Replying To macca999:  "Kildare H, Roscommon A, ,Westmeath A, Cavan H, Armagh H, Clare A , Laois H
Great to see the league fixtures out also and 4 home games,though with 2 ulster derbies Division 2 will be another huge scrap,especially if Tier 2 is voted in tomorrow based on 2020 league standings.

Good to see posters suggesting players for the 2020 panel,some hope with the hogan cup winners,though agree not to rush them all in straight away,im sure management clued in on this also.

Ricey has confirmed that both Corrigans are back,which is a huge boost,while also in the panel again is James Allen, with Brandon Horan, Eoin Shields(Belcoo), Tiernan Bogue and Lee Jones called in. Havnt heard of any other new panel members.
Dont think will have lost many from the 2019 squad,though think its crucial to get Thomas Treacy back on board for goals. Agree with some posters in saying Eoin McManus and Eddie Corrigan are worth a look again in McKenna cup,while think Lorcan McStravick could be a player to step up to the mark next season"
Is Eoin McManus even in the country?

erneboy (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1237 - 18/10/2019 16:57:13    2244268

Link

Replying To erneboy:  "Is Eoin McManus even in the country?"
Who knows, didn't really look for this year! Still a quality player.

allfermanagh (Fermanagh) - Posts: 76 - 20/10/2019 16:36:14    2244571

Link

Fixtures:
Dr McKenna Cup 2020
The first round of fixtures in the 2020 Bank of Ireland Dr. McKenna Cup will commence on Sunday 29 December 2019. The University teams have withdrawn from the competition.
National Football League Fixtures 2020 (Fermanagh context)
Sunday 26th January-Kildare v Fermanagh
Sunday 2nd February -Fermanagh v Roscommon
Sunday 9th February -Westmeath v Fermanagh
Saturday 22nd February-Fermanagh v Cavan
Sunday 1st March-Fermanagh v Armagh
Sunday 15th March -Clare v Fermanagh
Sunday 22nd March-Fermanagh v Laois
National Hurling League (Fermanagh context)
Sunday 26th January -Fermanagh v Leitrim
Sunday 2nd February-Cavan v Fermanagh
Sunday 16th February-Fermanagh v Sligo
Sunday 23rd February-Lancashire v Fermanagh

erneboy (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1237 - 24/10/2019 13:01:45    2245439

Link

Can see Shane Mcgullion making an impact this year for the county, in the half forward or back line. He has been my player of the championship. Last seasons full year of training with the squad has clearly brought him on.
I also like the look of Mark McCauley a lot more than any other potential new forwards mentioned. I know he was asked last year but said no. Whether he commits or not is the question.

shotgun (Fermanagh) - Posts: 77 - 27/10/2019 18:35:09    2246156

Link

What's this I hear about certain individuals have put forward a recommendation to exclude the public from viewing county training? What harm is it doing to allow the team supporters to take an interest in seeing how the players are progressing? Did the 'band' request come from the county team management, the county board or whom else? It's a bit rich to induce such a band considering it is the public at large and sponsors who fund the county team and co?

Coa_gael (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1150 - 29/10/2019 21:11:25    2246533

Link

any word on how we will set up next year?
are we going for the usual 14 backs / 0 mid / 0 forward set up ? or will Ricey be committing 2 min lads to forward line or whats the story?
I think this season surely showed (at the highest level) that the days of ultra-defensive successes are gone
Watchin Kerry commit 12 men forward from midfield up, on the Dublin kickout shows that you've got to gamble

I watched us put in an amazing shift against Monaghan in the championship and couldnt fault any man for effort or commitment, but I also watched both Jones brothers kick the ball into the keepers hands when we had Monaghn for the taking due to the fact that they expended soo much energy to get to that shooting position that they were physically too knackered to shoot and it was no fault of theirs that they didnt convert
We are a seriously fit panel, young (mostly!) we have the shooters but now we need the SYSTEM to get us to the next level
I'd settle for us kicking 12 points on average per game over the league. I know most teams are aiming for 15+ but hell one step at a time
any thoughts you learned posters ?

KeshGFC (Fermanagh) - Posts: 184 - 26/11/2019 12:24:21    2251527

Link

Replying To KeshGFC:  "any word on how we will set up next year?
are we going for the usual 14 backs / 0 mid / 0 forward set up ? or will Ricey be committing 2 min lads to forward line or whats the story?
I think this season surely showed (at the highest level) that the days of ultra-defensive successes are gone
Watchin Kerry commit 12 men forward from midfield up, on the Dublin kickout shows that you've got to gamble

I watched us put in an amazing shift against Monaghan in the championship and couldnt fault any man for effort or commitment, but I also watched both Jones brothers kick the ball into the keepers hands when we had Monaghn for the taking due to the fact that they expended soo much energy to get to that shooting position that they were physically too knackered to shoot and it was no fault of theirs that they didnt convert
We are a seriously fit panel, young (mostly!) we have the shooters but now we need the SYSTEM to get us to the next level
I'd settle for us kicking 12 points on average per game over the league. I know most teams are aiming for 15+ but hell one step at a time
any thoughts you learned posters ?"
Being realistic I can't see the system being much more offensive than last year.

shotgun (Fermanagh) - Posts: 77 - 26/11/2019 21:31:59    2251667

Link

kesh man and shoegun neither of you are knowledgeable enough to make a serious assess of the fermanagh team according to macca999 who know monaghan nearly as well as he knows fermanagh. leaving aside fermanagh's one of miracle in the past against the men in blue, the issue facing our county, and again a concern of macca as well, as to ricey's capability to handle our county team as well of the fact facing the team who are a bit stale having earned nothing of real value in the last year. unless there is some decent new recruits and the return of the corrigans, then fermanagh will in up stuck in the rut facing relegation. i know the guys are back training at the moment but can either kesh man or shoegun tell who all is new into the squad??

GalloonBaffoon (Fermanagh) - Posts: 104 - 27/11/2019 17:50:57    2251842

Link

Replying To GalloonBaffoon:  "kesh man and shoegun neither of you are knowledgeable enough to make a serious assess of the fermanagh team according to macca999 who know monaghan nearly as well as he knows fermanagh. leaving aside fermanagh's one of miracle in the past against the men in blue, the issue facing our county, and again a concern of macca as well, as to ricey's capability to handle our county team as well of the fact facing the team who are a bit stale having earned nothing of real value in the last year. unless there is some decent new recruits and the return of the corrigans, then fermanagh will in up stuck in the rut facing relegation. i know the guys are back training at the moment but can either kesh man or shoegun tell who all is new into the squad??"
very insightful lad.... I step back in anticipation of your further enlightenment beyond your new better players needed comment..... inspired

KeshGFC (Fermanagh) - Posts: 184 - 02/12/2019 14:35:35    2252713

Link

http://www.irishnews.com/sport/gaafootball/2019/12/10/news/-last20years-the-best-of-fermanagh-from-2000-2019-1786016/

Fermanaghdiehard (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1 - 10/12/2019 16:57:51    2254145

Link

Replying To Fermanaghdiehard:  "http://www.irishnews.com/sport/gaafootball/2019/12/10/news/-last20years-the-best-of-fermanagh-from-2000-2019-1786016/"
Its hard to disagree with much of the team mentioned in that report... thought maybe mulrone would get a mention. I would also agree with Marty McGrath being possibly the best player to come out of the county ever... anytime I seen him last year he seemed to be still one of the most influential players on the field.

sidelinecut40 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 75 - 12/12/2019 14:50:25    2254442

Link

Replying To sidelinecut40:  "Its hard to disagree with much of the team mentioned in that report... thought maybe mulrone would get a mention. I would also agree with Marty McGrath being possibly the best player to come out of the county ever... anytime I seen him last year he seemed to be still one of the most influential players on the field."
I disagree as Barry Owens has been acknowledged as the best player EVER to compete for Fermanagh being the only player to receive the GAA's top and most prestigious award not just once but twice! That's the true measure of talent by our GAA system and not by a selected view by someone like you from or associated with Ederney.
Nevertheless, I still respect McGrath, his talent and his significant contribution to the game.

hillbilly. (Fermanagh) - Posts: 23 - 13/12/2019 18:33:07    2254725

Link

Replying To hillbilly.:  "I disagree as Barry Owens has been acknowledged as the best player EVER to compete for Fermanagh being the only player to receive the GAA's top and most prestigious award not just once but twice! That's the true measure of talent by our GAA system and not by a selected view by someone like you from or associated with Ederney.
Nevertheless, I still respect McGrath, his talent and his significant contribution to the game."
Although barry Owens did receive it twice. I would agree Mcgrath is still the out and out best player that has ever come out of Fermanagh. Making Aussie rules squads and winning an all-star in one of the most competitive position on the field as a 6ft 1 midfield.

Allaboutclub (Fermanagh) - Posts: 68 - 25/12/2019 23:55:51    2256143

Link

Stephen Maguire should be on that list.

Mr_Me (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1 - 28/12/2019 10:53:28    2256296

Link

Agreed, Stephen Maguire should make that team.

See ricey has confirmed as rumoured,that Sean Quigley currently isnt involved in the squad,which is a pity as he has been a great player for last 10 years. Hopefully he is back in panel ASAP.

With so many players not committing all over the country this year for their counties,has the level of commitment reached breaking point?

macca999 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 879 - 06/01/2020 09:12:30    2257670

Link