Sligo Forum

Sligo 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To ShakeHands:  "I'd assume Keelan Cawley will be available for the start of the league. Had heard Cian Breheny was back training but he wasn't listed in the programme. O'Kelly Lynch played wing forward."
O'Kelly Lynch surely not playing as a typical forward? Imagine it's a deep role, no? Carrabine at wing back I see. Football in 2020...

putyourfootunderit (Sligo) - Posts: 20 - 09/01/2020 13:19:06    2258398

Link

Any report from u20 game?

NewSligofan (Sligo) - Posts: 213 - 13/01/2020 12:13:22    2259358

Link

Any reports from the camp and how things are shaping up for the NFL? What XV are we looking at?

downsouth18 (Sligo) - Posts: 9 - 16/01/2020 13:48:58    2260197

Link

Replying To downsouth18:  "Any reports from the camp and how things are shaping up for the NFL? What XV are we looking at?"
Looks as if Devanney has got his spot back. Bit of a surprise I have to say. Looking forward to see how they line out

putyourfootunderit (Sligo) - Posts: 20 - 22/01/2020 10:18:42    2261507

Link

Amazed there's no comments on here today.....maybe we prefer bad news!!!! Not often we get 5 goals no matter who the opposition is. Good result but not as happy with the performance is the word I'm getting though conditions were difficult. Still - we'll take it and it's at last something to build on. Hopefully a good Sligo crowd next week for the Antrim game.

ShakeHands (Sligo) - Posts: 32 - 27/01/2020 18:25:11    2262985

Link

Just back from the game. Good solid performance against a poor London outfit. The emotion from the team management after the game told it's own story.

Red Murphy and Cian Lallys debuts were also a positive. Pat Hughes looked very hungry when he came on. Competition for places could drive us back to div 3.

NewSligofan (Sligo) - Posts: 213 - 27/01/2020 19:02:21    2262999

Link

Replying To ShakeHands:  "Amazed there's no comments on here today.....maybe we prefer bad news!!!! Not often we get 5 goals no matter who the opposition is. Good result but not as happy with the performance is the word I'm getting though conditions were difficult. Still - we'll take it and it's at last something to build on. Hopefully a good Sligo crowd next week for the Antrim game."
I think the reason there's no comments is that anyone that was at the game is now just getting sober and can put a few words together. Positives are first win, 2 points, a healthy score difference and a strong vocal positive presence on the sideline from Nigel Dineen. Lot of pressure off Taylor for the moment. There's negative stuff and points to improve but I think that's all best left for another day. A win is a win. We will know a lot more after the visit of Antrim next weekend

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 696 - 27/01/2020 23:55:45    2263092

Link

Shakehands I don't think any Sligofan will get ahead of ourselves. London are always a bit of unknown quantity and in fairness, we all know Sligo have put a lot of work in the off season. The championship is not the target this year rightly so it's all about the league. Getting his first win as Manager will be a relief to Taylor but London looked poor, from the bits I seen they gave Sligo a lot of space but I thought we moved the ball well. There was a bit of pace and intent there.

Antrim will be a far bigger test but it's great we have them at home. They had a good win over Wexford. Have to win. Any word on the fitness of Cian Breheny or Kyle Cawley?

Paddy O Connor interesting choice as captain, congrats to him, for me he is very talented but never really felt he was aggressive enough or brought that intensity needed to fulfill his potential, hopefully he can find that as he gets older and the captaincy helps drive him on.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1494 - 28/01/2020 06:07:15    2263105

Link

Replying To ShakeHands:  "Amazed there's no comments on here today.....maybe we prefer bad news!!!! Not often we get 5 goals no matter who the opposition is. Good result but not as happy with the performance is the word I'm getting though conditions were difficult. Still - we'll take it and it's at last something to build on. Hopefully a good Sligo crowd next week for the Antrim game."
I think the reason there's no comments is that anyone that was at the game is now just getting sober and can put a few words together. Positives are first win, 2 points, a healthy score difference and a strong vocal positive presence on the sideline from Nigel Dineen. Lot of pressure off Taylor for the moment. There's negative stuff and points to improve but I think that's all best left for another day. A win is a win. We will know a lot more after the visit of Antrim next weekend

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 696 - 28/01/2020 08:55:30    2263113

Link

Replying To eoinog:  "I think the reason there's no comments is that anyone that was at the game is now just getting sober and can put a few words together. Positives are first win, 2 points, a healthy score difference and a strong vocal positive presence on the sideline from Nigel Dineen. Lot of pressure off Taylor for the moment. There's negative stuff and points to improve but I think that's all best left for another day. A win is a win. We will know a lot more after the visit of Antrim next weekend"
Spot on. Can't judge based on that.

No doubt they'll have to improve to finish in the top two but I expect they will. London were very poor but Sligo can only beat who's on front of them.

If nothing else, we saw some competition for places starting to creep into the forwards again. I expect quite a different team in terms of personnel and more so in terms of attitude by the time we face Galway in May. You can only imagine how low some of these guys confidence must be in the black and white jersey.

I honestly feel if they back it up and win next weekend, they'll drive on and be promoted.

putyourfootunderit (Sligo) - Posts: 20 - 28/01/2020 13:52:55    2263200

Link

Delighted with that win, fair play to everyone, great to see Paddy get 0-6 3 from play. Settling nicely into the captain role. Always great to hear that Sligo roar at the final whistle from the small band of loyal fans.

Its a big win and hopefully the lads are taking plenty of confidence from it. Fair play to mcmunn getting live feeds up, we moved the ball very well again. Patient build up then injecting pace. Shot selection needs work and the inside FF line running in straight lines out when our pace players are coming through are just getting in the way of a running lane and killing space and momentum, at least loop the run. Wicklow away next up never easy in Aughrim but winnable.

Another positive point of note is no goals conceded in 2 games, these team don't have near the same running power or standard but I'll take it after the last few years.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1494 - 02/02/2020 21:52:39    2264681

Link

Another 2 valuable points collected. Made hard work of it. Stupidity by the otherwise excellent Red Og put us under pressure for the last few minutes. Last year we were in a similar position with time nearly up against Down and after a wayward kick from the keeper Down basically ran 40 metres and buried it, very similar situation yesterday when Antrim turned us over and were coming with intent but Mc Namera ( i think) bundled the player to the ground, took his black card but kept the goal out. That left us finishing the game with 13 players. Not enough ball was kicked in fast enough to our corner forwards. Both are accurate finishers. O Connor was excellent. We have beefed up considerably and not getting pushed around like last year. Aughrim is a must win game. Pity London didn't get the draw against Limerick. Wexford did us a favour. Lot of football, twists and turns yet to come

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 696 - 03/02/2020 11:10:38    2264780

Link

Replying To eoinog:  "Another 2 valuable points collected. Made hard work of it. Stupidity by the otherwise excellent Red Og put us under pressure for the last few minutes. Last year we were in a similar position with time nearly up against Down and after a wayward kick from the keeper Down basically ran 40 metres and buried it, very similar situation yesterday when Antrim turned us over and were coming with intent but Mc Namera ( i think) bundled the player to the ground, took his black card but kept the goal out. That left us finishing the game with 13 players. Not enough ball was kicked in fast enough to our corner forwards. Both are accurate finishers. O Connor was excellent. We have beefed up considerably and not getting pushed around like last year. Aughrim is a must win game. Pity London didn't get the draw against Limerick. Wexford did us a favour. Lot of football, twists and turns yet to come"
O'Connor might be the most one to benefit from Murphy stepping back this year. Felt he has been in his shadow for last couple of years.
Red Óg is an exciting talent. Felt we could have won the game by more.
A serious opportunity now to go straight back to division 3.

putyourfootunderit (Sligo) - Posts: 20 - 03/02/2020 11:30:49    2264792

Link

Anyone here at the game? Sounded like a completely shambolic display in the second half scoring 5 points with a gale at their back.

letsgosligo (Sligo) - Posts: 63 - 16/02/2020 18:24:49    2267995

Link

Replying To letsgosligo:  "Anyone here at the game? Sounded like a completely shambolic display in the second half scoring 5 points with a gale at their back."
Must be the Tourlestrane influence-20 men behind the ball.

Maggiepie (Sligo) - Posts: 208 - 16/02/2020 20:44:21    2268024

Link