Sligo Forum

Sligo 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To NewSligofan:  "What a silly comment. If I decided to put my name forward for a position it'd be impossible to get elected. They all vote for each other"
Exsactly right ,that's why u need a offaly copy ,clean sweep,because I think the clubs want it,I'd love to sit down and write out how many positions have been covered bu the same people over the years

Timmy86 (Sligo) - Posts: 106 - 11/12/2019 16:41:34    2254317

Link

Replying To Timmy86:  "Exsactly right ,that's why u need a offaly copy ,clean sweep,because I think the clubs want it,I'd love to sit down and write out how many positions have been covered bu the same people over the years"
Too few clubs in Sligo to do a clean sweep unfortunately like Offaly. Sure when you add in the County Board and their own clubs they must be nearly in the majority here. But your right it's like musical chairs for the last 10-15 years for some of them.

Sligoman1234 (Sligo) - Posts: 28 - 11/12/2019 17:26:35    2254327

Link

Ye are all hurlers on the ditch. None of ye prepared to do something about it. All keyboard warriors and give out loads

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 681 - 11/12/2019 19:49:54    2254343

Link

Replying To eoinog:  "Ye are all hurlers on the ditch. None of ye prepared to do something about it. All keyboard warriors and give out loads"
Hilarious. Especially coming from you.

NewSligofan (Sligo) - Posts: 212 - 11/12/2019 22:17:32    2254356

Link

Replying To eoinog:  "Good to see back to back Fr Manning Cup titles for Sligo. Never managed it before in the 60 odd year of the competition. Hopefully these lads get a good run in the Ulster League that Sligo played in last year. Maybe 2020 is the year that we will succeed at minor . A Connacht title is badly needed."
Why is it hilarious. Too many people happy to constantly complain. Each club has a minimum of 3 votes. I think there is between 80 and 90 votes up for grabs. Loads of votes to be picked up if anyone has the energy and commitment to pursue it.

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 681 - 11/12/2019 22:54:38    2254363

Link

Replying To eoinog:  "Good to see back to back Fr Manning Cup titles for Sligo. Never managed it before in the 60 odd year of the competition. Hopefully these lads get a good run in the Ulster League that Sligo played in last year. Maybe 2020 is the year that we will succeed at minor . A Connacht title is badly needed."
Why is it hilarious. Too many people happy to constantly complain. Each club has a minimum of 3 votes. I think there is between 80 and 90 votes up for grabs. Loads of votes to be picked up if anyone has the energy and commitment to pursue it.

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 681 - 12/12/2019 08:00:15    2254376

Link

Replying To eoinog:  "Why is it hilarious. Too many people happy to constantly complain. Each club has a minimum of 3 votes. I think there is between 80 and 90 votes up for grabs. Loads of votes to be picked up if anyone has the energy and commitment to pursue it."
Ah but it's much easier to complain and pontificate and tar everyone with the same brush and not even bother to find out the real facts! There's plenty of clowns but also plenty of decent people trying their best.

ShakeHands (Sligo) - Posts: 31 - 12/12/2019 11:53:06    2254410

Link

Convention done and dusted. Reeking of politics, strokes and poorly chaired that's it for another year. If I go into detail my post won't be allowed. Positive news is a surplus of 200k, and finally money is going to be increased to our underage teams. Employing a full time S & C coach is also positive. Quiet a few battles for election, as I had predicted Bernadine easily held off Keith for secretary role again. Taafe just popped Niland for the job in Croker with the confirmation of 7 spoiled votes in that election the main talking point. By envoking a bye law our excellent treasurer was allowed another year in office. However it should have gone to a vote as the other candidate did not withdraw his nomination. Loads of silly errors which would make me feel uncertain heading into another year with that cttee. For eg the convention was advertised for the "Clarion" which is long gone. Approx 3 people that were on the nomination papers withdrew stating that they were never actually nominated to that position. Lots of commotion about motions as the floor had to request votes to be taken, as top table seemed lost as to what to do. A convention that left more questions than answers...

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 681 - 18/12/2019 09:38:50    2255444

Link

Replying To eoinog:  "Convention done and dusted. Reeking of politics, strokes and poorly chaired that's it for another year. If I go into detail my post won't be allowed. Positive news is a surplus of 200k, and finally money is going to be increased to our underage teams. Employing a full time S & C coach is also positive. Quiet a few battles for election, as I had predicted Bernadine easily held off Keith for secretary role again. Taafe just popped Niland for the job in Croker with the confirmation of 7 spoiled votes in that election the main talking point. By envoking a bye law our excellent treasurer was allowed another year in office. However it should have gone to a vote as the other candidate did not withdraw his nomination. Loads of silly errors which would make me feel uncertain heading into another year with that cttee. For eg the convention was advertised for the "Clarion" which is long gone. Approx 3 people that were on the nomination papers withdrew stating that they were never actually nominated to that position. Lots of commotion about motions as the floor had to request votes to be taken, as top table seemed lost as to what to do. A convention that left more questions than answers..."
You've done well to get that post up as it is. Two of mine deleted by moderator.

Anyway I have to agree with you. One of the most confusing conventions I've ever been at and things don't look great from observing how the top table were interacting.

Some tight votes too including Secretary as a swing of two clubs would have changed it. Spoilt votes in Niland v Taffee very interesting and to crown it off no one rightly knows who the Treasurer is after it all. I went away with the opinion that Gerry O'Connor deferred his decision on it to later so he is treasurer????

Sligoman1234 (Sligo) - Posts: 28 - 18/12/2019 19:55:06    2255531

Link

Niall Murphy and McIntyre both gone for 2020

NewSligofan (Sligo) - Posts: 212 - 23/12/2019 11:06:04    2255955

Link

Any reason why?

Timmy86 (Sligo) - Posts: 106 - 24/12/2019 08:48:31    2256064

Link

Replying To Timmy86:  "Any reason why?"
Let me see:
100% losing record last year.
Same manager reappointed.
Playing in Division 4
Whole managerial setup is to save money for County board rather than achievement on the pitch.
Two best players of recent years taking year out/retiring will likely lead to more of same as last year. Getting a new manager would have sent out the right message that board were not hsppy with results and performances. Making profit seems to be more important unfortunately.

Anto (Sligo) - Posts: 268 - 02/01/2020 14:19:56    2256895

Link

It's very early in the year to have a big game but that is exactly what today's game is. Not having won a game last year Taylor needs to hit the ground fast. A win today gives another outing next week which will set us up well for the trip over the pond. A heavy loss today plus a defeat against London will crank up the pressure. Last year's captain opting out iis a mild setback. I am not a fan of him. Goes missig too often in games. Mc intyre is a much bigger loss. I assume we can take it that he is retired. He just succumbed to age. If everyone else remains we will be lucky. Players leave panels all the times. Can't blame them. Training all year for an amateur sport. Our U.21 team got a fair hammering yesterday evening so there's not a lot to be optimistic about in the coming months. Perhaps our Minor's who have put back to back titles in Manning Cups might finally break the hoodoo at underage. Here's hoping to success this year. We badly need it.

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 681 - 05/01/2020 12:03:48    2257476

Link

Good performance today against Con champion. Even though they were short some top players. I expect Sligo to finish top 3. Not sure if they can make top 2 but a great chance with a lot of poor teams in the division.Paddy O C did well at times today and some of the backs were good. Good to see Kyle back as we lack pace up top. Keeper with some great saves.
Not sure how the above poster doesn't see Murphy as a loss. Sligos best player and if you were at the county final you would of seen him giving McIntyre a bit of a schuting. He was good in 2 championship games and has played a lot at midfield for sligo where he was always good. Very hard to play at corner forward and expect any player to constantly be on the ball. He and everyone else had poor years last year however in general. London first should be 2 points on the board with tougher games near the end giving sligo a chance to get points on the board.All the best for year ahead.

Sligoabu123 (Leitrim) - Posts: 6 - 05/01/2020 16:12:09    2257541

Link

Replying To eoinog:  "It's very early in the year to have a big game but that is exactly what today's game is. Not having won a game last year Taylor needs to hit the ground fast. A win today gives another outing next week which will set us up well for the trip over the pond. A heavy loss today plus a defeat against London will crank up the pressure. Last year's captain opting out iis a mild setback. I am not a fan of him. Goes missig too often in games. Mc intyre is a much bigger loss. I assume we can take it that he is retired. He just succumbed to age. If everyone else remains we will be lucky. Players leave panels all the times. Can't blame them. Training all year for an amateur sport. Our U.21 team got a fair hammering yesterday evening so there's not a lot to be optimistic about in the coming months. Perhaps our Minor's who have put back to back titles in Manning Cups might finally break the hoodoo at underage. Here's hoping to success this year. We badly need it."
"Last year's captain opting out iis a mild setback. I am not a fan of him. Goes missig too often in games. Mc intyre is a much bigger loss."

I've read some rubbish here but this is right up there!

Anyway - he has opted out so we must move on. Decent showing yesterday. Obviously improvement needed as too many errors were of the silly variety.

ShakeHands (Sligo) - Posts: 31 - 06/01/2020 09:24:39    2257673

Link

What 15 are we looking at this year based on yesterdays performance and the radio comments regarding who is back in training and not available yesterday?

downsouth18 (Sligo) - Posts: 9 - 06/01/2020 12:24:31    2257723

Link

Am I right in saying that was nearly full strength yesterday?

Timmy86 (Sligo) - Posts: 106 - 06/01/2020 13:06:20    2257733

Link

Replying To Timmy86:  "Am I right in saying that was nearly full strength yesterday?"
Based on what was listed in the programme it was as good a team as we can put out in the league with maybe exception of O'Kelly Lynch and McDonnell to join in???? On paper it was a good result but it was a near full strength Sligo team against a very experimental Ros one so I wouldn't be full of confidence just yet heading into the league.

Sligoman1234 (Sligo) - Posts: 28 - 06/01/2020 15:20:57    2257776

Link

Replying To Sligoman1234:  "Based on what was listed in the programme it was as good a team as we can put out in the league with maybe exception of O'Kelly Lynch and McDonnell to join in???? On paper it was a good result but it was a near full strength Sligo team against a very experimental Ros one so I wouldn't be full of confidence just yet heading into the league."
Is the McDonnell you refer to as ,Kevin McDonnell?because if it is ,he most defnly will not be back

Timmy86 (Sligo) - Posts: 106 - 06/01/2020 18:20:58    2257829

Link

I'd assume Keelan Cawley will be available for the start of the league. Had heard Cian Breheny was back training but he wasn't listed in the programme. O'Kelly Lynch played wing forward.

ShakeHands (Sligo) - Posts: 31 - 07/01/2020 09:44:20    2257907

Link