Sligo Forum

Sligo 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

So it's Galway again in the Connacht semi final. Given that we played them in Marcievicz Park this year, I presume we will be away to them in Pearse Stadium next year. It was a record beating there last time. I feel that record could be smashed again next year. It is pointless and I can't see too many supporters travelling, even the diehards. The provincial championship is unfortunately no longer fit for purpose.

SligoCody (Sligo) - Posts: 74 - 08/10/2019 14:16:07    2242055

Link

Replying To SligoCody:  "So it's Galway again in the Connacht semi final. Given that we played them in Marcievicz Park this year, I presume we will be away to them in Pearse Stadium next year. It was a record beating there last time. I feel that record could be smashed again next year. It is pointless and I can't see too many supporters travelling, even the diehards. The provincial championship is unfortunately no longer fit for purpose."
What a horribly negative view. If that was the attitude of every team, there wouldn't be a sport at all. Are we to lie down and let football dwindle even more in this county. Our county teams need help, yes. Our clubs need help, yes. But if we just concede that it's over before it begins, what chance have we.

Sligo have buckets to aim for next year.
1) Promotion from division 4
2) Getting a result or at the very least putting in a fighting display in Pearse Stadium
3) Winning a couple of championship games (whether it's in the qualifiers or other)

The best thing anyone can do for their club or county now is get out and support them. Help out at at your clubs underage setup. Go to your senior teams league and championship matches. Go to Markeveicz in March and April and support these boys. Attendances in Sligo at both club and county level are pathetic. This is where we can all start doing our bit.

The great thing about being at the bottom of the barrel is that the only way is up surely. Surely...

westsligoawakes (Sligo) - Posts: 74 - 09/10/2019 11:12:07    2242286

Link

There are few ways of looking at next year, I can only see us improving a lot. Look if we first look back last year was very poor and I think Taylor and his backroom was too light. I wish he would have copped that in advance but at least its learned now. Nigel Dineen added to the back room team is a major boost, he would have been in the running for Ros senior job and managed Ros u21s to Connacht titles losing the 2 AI finals to Dublin. Keeping Joe Keane another massive boost. The latter gives me a lot of hope because Joe having worked with Mayo at their peak coming back says he sees something in us to continue. Mcpartland managing coolera to a county final is no mean feat imo but was always a player Id admired so im glad he is continuing.

With Cian Brehony, Kyle Cawley coming back to the set up with hopefully Banks committing from coolera they are 3 major additions on last year imo. Now I have heard the u20s maybe not allowed play with Seniors at all which is non sensical. In the past I have said u20s shouldn't be allowed play championship with seniors so they are cup tied with u20s but theres talk of not allowing them play in the league. They should be allowed to play FBD and NFL. Then if Red Og stars he needs to be allowed play senior. If and its a big if we think we can win Connacht at u20 maybe don't play him against Galway for the seniors. But we don't know the draw or dates yet so that could be planned in advance later in the year. All u20s should be available for seniors in the leagues as a minimum.

Id be confident enough of getting out of Div 4 at first take especially with those 4 additions.
However the Connacht draw is not ideal giving we are away and that Joyce appointment will give them a kick.
I would never criticize any Sligofan for being negative or being completely realistic giving the level of investment or whats been on show the last few years. I think support while unconditional with die hards the CB more so and players less so need to be held to account and fans have turned away. In fairness it looks with S&C coach Sean Boyle full time, Joe Keane being kept and Nigel Dineen coming on board that the CB are backing Taylor so there'll be a bit of added pressure on him this year. Fans should see this as a positive and at the start of the season get behind the set up and players. I can only see us being in the mix for promotion. If we don't get promoted, lose heavily to Galway and show no defensive improvements Taylor would have to go. For me he has to get promotion, be very competitive against Galway, I mean we have to be within 4 or 5pts and not look like conceding 5 or 6 goals. A run in the qualifiers too but the draw dictates a lot there.

No matter what I can't see a huge Sligo following in pearse stadium but given it's a semi final does give us a step further in qualifiers. Its hard to see us beat Galway although with Dineen on board and Roscommon men certainly know how to beat Galway in Pearse. I was at the Connacht final in Galway a few years back and they destroyed them by 9pts. Suffocated them in the middle third, played down the centre. They beat them by 4 last year there. It will be interesting year and I am more optimistic given the set up and support in place and Player additions compared to last year.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1506 - 15/10/2019 21:25:14    2243819

Link

Replying To Sligonian:  "There are few ways of looking at next year, I can only see us improving a lot. Look if we first look back last year was very poor and I think Taylor and his backroom was too light. I wish he would have copped that in advance but at least its learned now. Nigel Dineen added to the back room team is a major boost, he would have been in the running for Ros senior job and managed Ros u21s to Connacht titles losing the 2 AI finals to Dublin. Keeping Joe Keane another massive boost. The latter gives me a lot of hope because Joe having worked with Mayo at their peak coming back says he sees something in us to continue. Mcpartland managing coolera to a county final is no mean feat imo but was always a player Id admired so im glad he is continuing.

With Cian Brehony, Kyle Cawley coming back to the set up with hopefully Banks committing from coolera they are 3 major additions on last year imo. Now I have heard the u20s maybe not allowed play with Seniors at all which is non sensical. In the past I have said u20s shouldn't be allowed play championship with seniors so they are cup tied with u20s but theres talk of not allowing them play in the league. They should be allowed to play FBD and NFL. Then if Red Og stars he needs to be allowed play senior. If and its a big if we think we can win Connacht at u20 maybe don't play him against Galway for the seniors. But we don't know the draw or dates yet so that could be planned in advance later in the year. All u20s should be available for seniors in the leagues as a minimum.

Id be confident enough of getting out of Div 4 at first take especially with those 4 additions.
However the Connacht draw is not ideal giving we are away and that Joyce appointment will give them a kick.
I would never criticize any Sligofan for being negative or being completely realistic giving the level of investment or whats been on show the last few years. I think support while unconditional with die hards the CB more so and players less so need to be held to account and fans have turned away. In fairness it looks with S&C coach Sean Boyle full time, Joe Keane being kept and Nigel Dineen coming on board that the CB are backing Taylor so there'll be a bit of added pressure on him this year. Fans should see this as a positive and at the start of the season get behind the set up and players. I can only see us being in the mix for promotion. If we don't get promoted, lose heavily to Galway and show no defensive improvements Taylor would have to go. For me he has to get promotion, be very competitive against Galway, I mean we have to be within 4 or 5pts and not look like conceding 5 or 6 goals. A run in the qualifiers too but the draw dictates a lot there.

No matter what I can't see a huge Sligo following in pearse stadium but given it's a semi final does give us a step further in qualifiers. Its hard to see us beat Galway although with Dineen on board and Roscommon men certainly know how to beat Galway in Pearse. I was at the Connacht final in Galway a few years back and they destroyed them by 9pts. Suffocated them in the middle third, played down the centre. They beat them by 4 last year there. It will be interesting year and I am more optimistic given the set up and support in place and Player additions compared to last year."
Dineen a big boost to your management team no doubt. If he didn't burn bridges with his remarks about the county board in 2017 he might have got the vacated U20 Roscommon job for next year.

The last two years he's led Strokestown in the championship to semi finals and this year they weren't even expected to reach the knock out stages as they had play without 4 key players (2 of them county starters) he also led a poor Castlerea team to the senior quarter final since he left they fell apart and now can't get out of the intermediate grade. For all he's achieved as a player and in management he's still underrated by some in Roscommon.

The_analyser (Roscommon) - Posts: 2664 - 16/10/2019 00:18:14    2243848

Link

Replying To The_analyser:  "Dineen a big boost to your management team no doubt. If he didn't burn bridges with his remarks about the county board in 2017 he might have got the vacated U20 Roscommon job for next year.

The last two years he's led Strokestown in the championship to semi finals and this year they weren't even expected to reach the knock out stages as they had play without 4 key players (2 of them county starters) he also led a poor Castlerea team to the senior quarter final since he left they fell apart and now can't get out of the intermediate grade. For all he's achieved as a player and in management he's still underrated by some in Roscommon."
Dineen looks like a good addition in the backroom along with Keane who players seem to rate highly. However I can't help wondering if we're relying on the expertees of the backroom team to do the job for the panel then what is the manager bringing to the table? Looks like a disjointed set up to me which may explain the situation we were in this year.

Sligoman1234 (Sligo) - Posts: 32 - 16/10/2019 22:58:15    2244001

Link

Possibly the worst championship draw that we could have asked for but it's time to puit that to the back of our minds. Div 4 is our priority and I am not sure if we will come out of it. Home games are a huge advantage and we only got 3 of those. The home games we got are the easier games. I would be a lot more confident of our chances if it was 4 home games against the stronger teams. Our U.20 team this year will be weak as we were not competitive at all at minor stage with that team. I hope there's no undue pressure put on the likes of Red Og as he is only young and doing his leaving cert.

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 702 - 19/10/2019 14:50:37    2244368

Link

One positive so far is to hear the panel are back doing gym work for the last few weeks. Few lads back like Gaughan and Cawley. What's the story will the u20 rule? I heard Taylor was on his hands and knees begging Red Og to join but he has supposedly declined the call up to concentrate on his leaving cert. The u20s decision needs to be made asap so lads don't get left behind with the s&c work.

NewSligofan (Sligo) - Posts: 216 - 20/10/2019 09:04:59    2244491

Link

Replying To NewSligofan:  "One positive so far is to hear the panel are back doing gym work for the last few weeks. Few lads back like Gaughan and Cawley. What's the story will the u20 rule? I heard Taylor was on his hands and knees begging Red Og to join but he has supposedly declined the call up to concentrate on his leaving cert. The u20s decision needs to be made asap so lads don't get left behind with the s&c work."
What decision is there to make? U20s play with U20s. No?

westsligoawakes (Sligo) - Posts: 74 - 21/10/2019 08:26:35    2244694

Link

Anybody have a squad update for the upcoming season who is new in who is returning that was not their last year, any of the established players returning to the fold, if we get a good foundation of players I mean a good solid 20 players young and experienced players we could be promoted but if we go with just young players again we will be stuck in division 4 again for the foreseeable future

harps2588 (Sligo) - Posts: 79 - 26/10/2019 12:00:14    2245916

Link

Replying To harps2588:  "Anybody have a squad update for the upcoming season who is new in who is returning that was not their last year, any of the established players returning to the fold, if we get a good foundation of players I mean a good solid 20 players young and experienced players we could be promoted but if we go with just young players again we will be stuck in division 4 again for the foreseeable future"
Liam Gaughan, Kyle Cawley, Conor Griffen, Cian Breheny,Cian Lally are all to join the panel I hear. Was at intermediate final yesterday and hopefully Henry and Conlon from Geevagh might be added. Bunnies have no one at that standard except a good prospect with Clavin. He is Young.

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 702 - 28/10/2019 11:03:11    2246253

Link

It doesn't matter a s###e who's cuming in or who can cun n ,there miles off the pace and d4 they l b for a long time

Timmy86 (Sligo) - Posts: 111 - 28/10/2019 21:08:24    2246356

Link

Replying To The_analyser:  "Dineen a big boost to your management team no doubt. If he didn't burn bridges with his remarks about the county board in 2017 he might have got the vacated U20 Roscommon job for next year.

The last two years he's led Strokestown in the championship to semi finals and this year they weren't even expected to reach the knock out stages as they had play without 4 key players (2 of them county starters) he also led a poor Castlerea team to the senior quarter final since he left they fell apart and now can't get out of the intermediate grade. For all he's achieved as a player and in management he's still underrated by some in Roscommon."
I wouldn't agree.

OhtobeARossie (Roscommon) - Posts: 1437 - 29/10/2019 06:56:33    2246389

Link

Replying To eoinog:  "Liam Gaughan, Kyle Cawley, Conor Griffen, Cian Breheny,Cian Lally are all to join the panel I hear. Was at intermediate final yesterday and hopefully Henry and Conlon from Geevagh might be added. Bunnies have no one at that standard except a good prospect with Clavin. He is Young."
The first two names would get enough scores to give us a chance at getting out IF they both apply themselves fully

westsligoawakes (Sligo) - Posts: 74 - 29/10/2019 10:59:12    2246432

Link

Replying To OhtobeARossie:  "I wouldn't agree."
I said similar but with greater detail as to why i taught so but post never made it through for what ever reason. Not sure what he will add to Sligo apart from a few prayers via text message at all hours

sourmilk93 (Roscommon) - Posts: 369 - 29/10/2019 13:00:17    2246459

Link

Any dates and venues out for the Division 4 fixtures yet?

leyny (Sligo) - Posts: 30 - 13/11/2019 09:34:22    2249373

Link

Will many of the new faces feature in the team next year or what sort of 15 would we be looking at?

downsouth18 (Sligo) - Posts: 9 - 13/11/2019 12:11:59    2249406

Link

Convention should be coming up soon. Any word on possible changes in officer or motions to improve our situation?

Sligoman1234 (Sligo) - Posts: 32 - 22/11/2019 14:05:28    2250872

Link

For the convention Keith Henry who failed to get the PRO job last year followed by a failed effort for a council seat is trying to oust the Current secretary. Interesting to see other people's take on this

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 702 - 23/11/2019 00:36:54    2250959

Link

Replying To eoinog:  "For the convention Keith Henry who failed to get the PRO job last year followed by a failed effort for a council seat is trying to oust the Current secretary. Interesting to see other people's take on this"
In fairness I don't think a run in politics and a run for county board share a lot in common but an interesting move all the same. Suppose it's good to see a contest of some sort and give the clubs a choice on personnel.

Any word on motions. I hope something on championship changes will come up

Sligoman1234 (Sligo) - Posts: 32 - 23/11/2019 15:05:30    2250996

Link

Good to see back to back Fr Manning Cup titles for Sligo. Never managed it before in the 60 odd year of the competition. Hopefully these lads get a good run in the Ulster League that Sligo played in last year. Maybe 2020 is the year that we will succeed at minor . A Connacht title is badly needed.

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 702 - 23/11/2019 18:47:34    2251013

Link