Dublin Forum

Dean Rock - Most Crucial Score Of All Time?

(Oldest Posts First)

Dean Rock's score to level things up late on against Kerry, while being down a man and deep into added on time, while others snatched and were jumpy, made it look hard.

Dean gets the chance and makes it look easy, as if its the first score of the game... all to keep the 5 in a row dream alive.

I would advise yiz to watch it back

Just stroked it over. Beatiful technique, composure and ultimate guts.

Again.. as if it was just another score. Easy.

I don't think enough has been made of it, which sort of sums up a lot about Dean Rock's Dublin career

For me it's up there as the most crucial score of all time and a score that should be held in the highest of regards by Dublin fans

Dean Rock = GAA Legend

If Kev will go down as "The Kerry Killer"

Dean will go down as "The Kerry Sickner"

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 19789 - 02/10/2019 20:39:08    2241036

Link

I just watched it back there. It's just so typical of this team.

Kerry get their kick out away but they're never really comfortable. They manage to work it to midfield but as soon as Moran looks isolated the Dubs just descend upon him. Moran doesn't even look to be in that bad a position but it's just the Dubs have sensed that he's in trouble. I doubt he even saw the trouble he was in.

Look at it again though. After the ball is initially dislodged from Moran's grasp it looks, for a split second like he is about to recover it until the Kerry Killer himself gets his hand in to knock it away. It wasn't his most spectacular intervention against the Kingdom but it was as important as any other.

Dublin's transition up field is just so quick that Kerry have no time to get a hand in at any time. Murchan does really well to drive at them and then look for the right man.

Rock does what Rock does then.

I feel Rock is actually still a little undervalued from play. I think he kicked 4 points from play in the 16 replay, 4 from play in 17, 3 from play last year, 3 from play in the drawn final this year and 2 from play in the replay this year. That's phenomenal scoring for anyone in the biggest game of the year. I think teams were obsessed with tying up Connolly or Brogan before and Con and Mannion now that they forget that Rock is one of the best, from play, forwards in the country.

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 12792 - 03/10/2019 08:44:27    2241091

Link

Replying To MesAmis:  "I just watched it back there. It's just so typical of this team.

Kerry get their kick out away but they're never really comfortable. They manage to work it to midfield but as soon as Moran looks isolated the Dubs just descend upon him. Moran doesn't even look to be in that bad a position but it's just the Dubs have sensed that he's in trouble. I doubt he even saw the trouble he was in.

Look at it again though. After the ball is initially dislodged from Moran's grasp it looks, for a split second like he is about to recover it until the Kerry Killer himself gets his hand in to knock it away. It wasn't his most spectacular intervention against the Kingdom but it was as important as any other.

Dublin's transition up field is just so quick that Kerry have no time to get a hand in at any time. Murchan does really well to drive at them and then look for the right man.

Rock does what Rock does then.

I feel Rock is actually still a little undervalued from play. I think he kicked 4 points from play in the 16 replay, 4 from play in 17, 3 from play last year, 3 from play in the drawn final this year and 2 from play in the replay this year. That's phenomenal scoring for anyone in the biggest game of the year. I think teams were obsessed with tying up Connolly or Brogan before and Con and Mannion now that they forget that Rock is one of the best, from play, forwards in the country."
Rock is totally underrated. He's also a brilliant fielder of a ball.His overall game has improved so much.

avonali (Dublin) - Posts: 1230 - 03/10/2019 19:52:42    2241218

Link

Replying To avonali:  "Rock is totally underrated. He's also a brilliant fielder of a ball.His overall game has improved so much."
I agree completely.

I feel he's still being a little dismissed as 'only a free taker' which is inaccurate.

I think it works in Dublin's favour in big games though. His record from play in the biggest games over the past 4 years is better than almost anyone I think of to be honest but yet you rarely, if ever, hear of teams targeting him. Teams tend not to have a plan for him I think and that's been disastrous for them.

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 12792 - 04/10/2019 08:26:07    2241272

Link

Incredible player and he started out later then most, its crazy how underrated he is, but i think that works very much in our favor.

This says it all:

Dublin All Team Leading scorer Championship and League:

Jimmy Keavney: 30 goal 402 points, 102 games =496 points

Dean Rock: 14 goals, 419 points, 88 games, = 461 points

Bernard Brogan, 36 golas, 344 points, 116 games, = 452 points.

Barney Rock: 30 goals, 360 points, 99 games = 450 points

Kevin Heffernan: 52 goals, 226 points, 115 games =382 points

Charlie Redmond: 15 goals, 306 points, 106 games = 351 points

Olliie Freaney: 23 goals, 242 points, 90 games = 311 points

Kieran Duff: 22 goals, 227 points, 118 games =295 points

Masie Quinn, 21 goals, 213 points, 81 games =276 points.

Dermo Connolly, 28 goals, 116 points, 102 games = 250 points.

At 29, barring no injury you would expect Deano to become Dublins All time leading scorer this Spring, at 29 you would expect him to smash that record, though he might come under pressure from Archer in 2021.

Absolute legend and so underrated from play.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 3092 - 05/10/2019 10:50:30    2241469

Link

Well said Jimbo.

Its incredible how much deano goes under the radar.

And the great thing about him is he always saves his best performances for the biggest days.

Arguably Dublin's most influential player in all Ireland finals EVER.

ConnollyDub (Dublin) - Posts: 1816 - 05/10/2019 10:51:28    2241470

Link

Meant to say he has been involved in so many crucial moments but is best ever performance for me was the drawn game this year absolutely carried us on his shoulders for the draw. Its one of the greatest individual performances of this era in my opinion.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 3092 - 05/10/2019 10:51:50    2241471

Link

Replying To ConnollyDub:  "Well said Jimbo.

Its incredible how much deano goes under the radar.

And the great thing about him is he always saves his best performances for the biggest days.

Arguably Dublin's most influential player in all Ireland finals EVER."
Well said indeed ConnollyDub

I absolutely agree with you

His equalising score in the drawn game is for me the most significant Dub score of all time.

Great team effort to give Dean the opportunity but it was hardly a tap over. Given the circumstances his finish was of the highest quality and capped off a brilliant individual performance.

Yeah, as a fan it's my favourite Dub score of all time. I can say that without hesitation.

The Rocks are legends

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 19789 - 01/11/2019 13:40:08    2246988

Link

Let's not forget that winner in 2011. The one that started it all.
Still my favourite but Rock is undisputed in terms of consistent reliability which is an absolute must have.

Dubh_linn (Dublin) - Posts: 2151 - 01/11/2019 14:15:04    2246998

Link

Replying To TheUsername:  "Meant to say he has been involved in so many crucial moments but is best ever performance for me was the drawn game this year absolutely carried us on his shoulders for the draw. Its one of the greatest individual performances of this era in my opinion."
Totally agree with that! I think Kerry then decided they actually needed to put a plan in place to mark him in the replay and it opened space for the other forwards!
He might be under rated but I bet - if you asked every good county manager to sit down and pick a player from any other county he would be close to the top of most lists!

ASaminthehand (Meath) - Posts: 229 - 13/12/2019 16:34:56    2254706

Link