Dublin Forum

Stephen Cluxton - POTY 2019

(Oldest Posts First)

Congrats to Con and Jack but Cluxton was incredible over the two finals.

Most valuabe save in GAA history getting a fingernail onto Paul Murphys rifle shot

Outstanding save and easily the most crucially important act of individual skill in GAA history considering what was at stake

No 5 without that ridiculous save. A moment of magic to accomplish the impossible.

Con had a special year but despite his brilliance, I love the kid but Cluxton will hopefully and deservedly get the nod. Jack is Jack... One of the greatest players Dublin has ever produced. A class act on and off the pitch.

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 19785 - 27/09/2019 19:02:26    2239703

Link

Replying To jimbodub:  "Congrats to Con and Jack but Cluxton was incredible over the two finals.

Most valuabe save in GAA history getting a fingernail onto Paul Murphys rifle shot

Outstanding save and easily the most crucially important act of individual skill in GAA history considering what was at stake

No 5 without that ridiculous save. A moment of magic to accomplish the impossible.

Con had a special year but despite his brilliance, I love the kid but Cluxton will hopefully and deservedly get the nod. Jack is Jack... One of the greatest players Dublin has ever produced. A class act on and off the pitch."
Spot on Jimbo.
Jack has already won it so it is between Clucko and kid King Con I reckon.
Has to be Stevo this year and with it, a long overdue All Star.
He hasn't won one in this 5 in a Row run.
Crazy stat.

Con has plenty of years ahead of him. ;o)
He is going to be some player.

Cluxton for an All Star and Player of the Year.

Fionn (Dublin) - Posts: 2825 - 27/09/2019 21:51:53    2239736

Link

I think he's been excellent this year. An absolute nailed on All-Star this year. He was unlucky to lose out on it last year to Began in a toss of a coin decision but was badly snubbed in 2017 when he was outstanding.

I think he was Dublin's most important player in the 2 finals. The penalty save as well as that truly magnificent save from Murphy. That really was a save for the ages.

In the replay he snuffed out Kerry's early aerial bombardment and made a huge save at a vital time in the match.

I think Cluxton regressed a bit around 2015/2016 and looked to be nearly on the way out but from 2017 through to this year I actually think he's been in the form of his life. To be able to arrest that decline and to actually improve on his near perfection from before is staggering and the measure of the man.

He is the greatest Dublin footballer of all time imo.

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 12792 - 27/09/2019 23:40:59    2239767

Link

I think any of the three lads could justifiably win it, they are the top 3 players in Ireland with Brian Fenton being hard done by in that sentence.

I think it will be Stevo and i think its well over due and thoroughly deserved, a force of nature who is getting better, unbelievable season and he eats pressure moments. Stevo will get the unanimous vote.

Con and Jack will split the vote.

I do think Con is massively unlucky, a steller year and in many ways his break out year, he has become the main man in the Dublin forward line, fielding, vision, pace, intelligence, scoring ability, tactical awareness, unselfishness he is an absolute class act. If we continue with our success he is a shoe in for the title eventually.

Jack has some record 3 times nominated for POTY and once YPOTY of the year in a career that isn't more than 7 years. Hes won it of course. Took a year out also.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 3090 - 28/09/2019 09:26:47    2239788

Link

Replying To jimbodub:  "Congrats to Con and Jack but Cluxton was incredible over the two finals.

Con had a special year but despite his brilliance, I love the kid but Cluxton will hopefully and deservedly get the nod. Jack is Jack... One of the greatest players Dublin has ever produced. A class act on and off the pitch."
It will be a disgrace if S.Cluxton doesn't get POTY. He is simply the best keeper ever. He has such a range of kick outs that no other keeper comes close to. We will never see another player alike. That's high praise lol. I can't see why he would retire other than for family reasons.

GreenAndGold74 (Kerry) - Posts: 98 - 28/09/2019 11:39:31    2239806

Link

Replying To TheUsername:  "I think any of the three lads could justifiably win it, they are the top 3 players in Ireland with Brian Fenton being hard done by in that sentence.

I think it will be Stevo and i think its well over due and thoroughly deserved, a force of nature who is getting better, unbelievable season and he eats pressure moments. Stevo will get the unanimous vote.

Con and Jack will split the vote.

I do think Con is massively unlucky, a steller year and in many ways his break out year, he has become the main man in the Dublin forward line, fielding, vision, pace, intelligence, scoring ability, tactical awareness, unselfishness he is an absolute class act. If we continue with our success he is a shoe in for the title eventually.

Jack has some record 3 times nominated for POTY and once YPOTY of the year in a career that isn't more than 7 years. Hes won it of course. Took a year out also."
Some achievement by Jack alright.
And still such a young player.
Remarkable levels of performance - what a player.

Fionn (Dublin) - Posts: 2825 - 28/09/2019 11:49:21    2239808

Link

He deserves it undoubtedly. This year is probably the best he has been. Hope he stay on if outside life allows.

Dubh_linn (Dublin) - Posts: 2151 - 30/09/2019 11:07:19    2240245

Link

Replying To GreenAndGold74:  "It will be a disgrace if S.Cluxton doesn't get POTY. He is simply the best keeper ever. He has such a range of kick outs that no other keeper comes close to. We will never see another player alike. That's high praise lol. I can't see why he would retire other than for family reasons."
Well said.

If you see him on the street the best thing you can do is let him be. It's hard because you want to thank him.

Others crave attention. He does all his talking on the pitch.. in fact he screams.

He was brilliant this year. Considering the year Con had.. Cluxton's own contribution is just a cut above it.

I've never seen the likes of it

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 19785 - 02/10/2019 20:52:28    2241043

Link

Replying To MesAmis:  "I think he's been excellent this year. An absolute nailed on All-Star this year. He was unlucky to lose out on it last year to Began in a toss of a coin decision but was badly snubbed in 2017 when he was outstanding.

I think he was Dublin's most important player in the 2 finals. The penalty save as well as that truly magnificent save from Murphy. That really was a save for the ages.

In the replay he snuffed out Kerry's early aerial bombardment and made a huge save at a vital time in the match.

I think Cluxton regressed a bit around 2015/2016 and looked to be nearly on the way out but from 2017 through to this year I actually think he's been in the form of his life. To be able to arrest that decline and to actually improve on his near perfection from before is staggering and the measure of the man.

He is the greatest Dublin footballer of all time imo."
Preach!

Liamwalkinstown (Dublin) - Posts: 8156 - 04/10/2019 10:49:34    2241301

Link

I find it slightly baffling that he is regarded as one of the greatest players of all time, don't get me wrong he is exceptional and is one of the best goalkeepers of his era but people seem to forget that he made his Dublin debut 10 years before he won his first all ireland. If he is the sole reason for changing the way the game is played why did it take 10 years for him to do it? In my opinion he looks better than he is because of the exceptional group of players he has in front of him. But like I said he is very good and definitely deserves an all start this year.

IamADragon (Cavan) - Posts: 268 - 22/10/2019 13:10:42    2244935

Link

Replying To IamADragon:  "I find it slightly baffling that he is regarded as one of the greatest players of all time, don't get me wrong he is exceptional and is one of the best goalkeepers of his era but people seem to forget that he made his Dublin debut 10 years before he won his first all ireland. If he is the sole reason for changing the way the game is played why did it take 10 years for him to do it? In my opinion he looks better than he is because of the exceptional group of players he has in front of him. But like I said he is very good and definitely deserves an all start this year."
Thank you for sharing

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 19785 - 22/10/2019 16:12:55    2244992

Link