Carlow Forum

CARLOW SFC

(Oldest Posts First)

Unfortunately didn't get to any of the senior games last week. Just heard bits. any views on how things will go.
Hear Eire Og, Rathvilly and Old Leighlin looking strong. Long way to go though

fullbach (Carlow) - Posts: 235 - 01/08/2019 13:51:58    2219433

Link

I think Éire Óg will be the team to beat again this year. They have the same team as last year with one or two new additions which have made them a little bit stronger. I think Rathvilly are the only team that will run them close this year and I think that both teams will contest the final. They have been playing Brendan Murphy at the edge of the square too which led to two goals in the first game of the championship last week.
It's hard to know what Pal are going to do this year. They have played a lot of new young players throughout the league and had a lot of the players playing in new positions. I heard a lot of their players are gone travelling this summer but I can't be sure on that. They struggled past MLR last week for a long time before just pulling away at the end. They could possibly be building for next year, especially under new management.
Old Leighlin have introduced a number of young players over the last few years and that seems to be helping them this year. They still have a number of their Championship winning side still playing plus young Amond and Bambrick as well as a few others. They could possibly make the final if luck is on their side.
I think those teams will make the semi finals, although MLR could cause an upset again and make the semis like last year.

GAA_WayOfLife (Carlow) - Posts: 38 - 04/08/2019 11:26:59    2220495

Link

Yea I would agree. Eire Og playing more attacking football also. A good blend of youth and experience will stand to them I think. The fact that they have won a couple of championships is also in their favour. They have the addition of Colm Hulton on board this year. I expect him and Blake to do a lot of damage up front. The class of Gannon in midfield and Morrisey seems to be flying also. Can't see anyone else getting close unfortunately

ontheball85 (Carlow) - Posts: 180 - 04/08/2019 16:42:17    2220666

Link

Bit of a shock last night with Bagenalstown beating Palatine. They mightn't see it as a shock though as they have been continuously improving at senior the last few years. They were the better team last night in my opinion and deserved to win. They took their chances well and could have won by more as they left a few shots short and kicked some easy enough wides. Possible dark horse to get to the semi final.
Éire Óg just about got over the line against Old Leighlin by winning by a point. It could have gone either way at the end but Éire Óg held on and are pretty much guaranteed the semi final spot now.
I wasn't at the other games so I'm not sure how the teams played. Rathvilly and Tinryland won is all I know

GAA_WayOfLife (Carlow) - Posts: 38 - 12/08/2019 18:06:48    2224810

Link

Replying To GAA_WayOfLife:  "Bit of a shock last night with Bagenalstown beating Palatine. They mightn't see it as a shock though as they have been continuously improving at senior the last few years. They were the better team last night in my opinion and deserved to win. They took their chances well and could have won by more as they left a few shots short and kicked some easy enough wides. Possible dark horse to get to the semi final.
Éire Óg just about got over the line against Old Leighlin by winning by a point. It could have gone either way at the end but Éire Óg held on and are pretty much guaranteed the semi final spot now.
I wasn't at the other games so I'm not sure how the teams played. Rathvilly and Tinryland won is all I know"
Great to see Bagenalstown winning that. Great boost if they could be consistently challenging for the senior championship but hopefully not at the expense of the likes of Pal. We need new teams to emerge but not at the expense of others. Eight genuinely strong senior teams is needed. If B'town and Tullow could become GAA strongholds again it be transformative for the county. No reason why B'town can't. Soccer seems to be dead there and no rugby.

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1158 - 12/08/2019 20:55:55    2224892

Link

Replying To Onion Breath:  "Great to see Bagenalstown winning that. Great boost if they could be consistently challenging for the senior championship but hopefully not at the expense of the likes of Pal. We need new teams to emerge but not at the expense of others. Eight genuinely strong senior teams is needed. If B'town and Tullow could become GAA strongholds again it be transformative for the county. No reason why B'town can't. Soccer seems to be dead there and no rugby."
In fairness Bagenalstown have been putting the structures in place in recent years and it's great to see them being rewarded for their work. They have some fine u20s coming through too so the future looks bright.
As you say more competitive teams at Senior and also Intermediate level will have a positive effect on the county set up.

GAA_WayOfLife (Carlow) - Posts: 38 - 12/08/2019 23:59:11    2224974

Link

What are the permutations for last round of sfc in each group. Who might end up in relegation play off? I know Rathvilly and E Og are safe.

novalis (Carlow) - Posts: 239 - 14/08/2019 15:28:08    2225649

Link

Replying To novalis:  "What are the permutations for last round of sfc in each group. Who might end up in relegation play off? I know Rathvilly and E Og are safe."
The permutations are simple now.... Eire Og and Rathvilly into the semi-finals... Old Leighlin will play Palatine in one quarter final and Bagenalstown face Tinryland in the other... Mt Leinster and Ballinabranna will contest relegation, and it would be very cruel on Ballinabranna if they go down... have to say there were very competitive games this weekend, the eight team formats are working, as they more-or-less elimate dead rubbers and mean almost every team has something to play for... it was a great innovation... In the intermediate, Kildavin and O'Hanarahan's into the semis.... Myshall play Clonmore and Kilbride are up against Eire Og B... Grange and the Cocks for relegation... In the Junior A, Fenagh look very strong, and they are in the semis... it would be hard to see them not winning it... Fenagh B could very well win the Junior B also... their biggest threat is probably Ballinabranna B... although it would be great if Asca could win that... they've made strides at underage lately and it'd be nice to see them move up a grade.... In the senior, it looks like Eire Og or Rathvilly, but Tinryland, as ever, are dark horses... Intermediate is Kildavins to lose.... They seem to have gotten their act together... and soccer starting back up will hurt the Blues.

CARPS (Carlow) - Posts: 276 - 25/08/2019 21:11:12    2229235

Link

Replying To CARPS:  "The permutations are simple now.... Eire Og and Rathvilly into the semi-finals... Old Leighlin will play Palatine in one quarter final and Bagenalstown face Tinryland in the other... Mt Leinster and Ballinabranna will contest relegation, and it would be very cruel on Ballinabranna if they go down... have to say there were very competitive games this weekend, the eight team formats are working, as they more-or-less elimate dead rubbers and mean almost every team has something to play for... it was a great innovation... In the intermediate, Kildavin and O'Hanarahan's into the semis.... Myshall play Clonmore and Kilbride are up against Eire Og B... Grange and the Cocks for relegation... In the Junior A, Fenagh look very strong, and they are in the semis... it would be hard to see them not winning it... Fenagh B could very well win the Junior B also... their biggest threat is probably Ballinabranna B... although it would be great if Asca could win that... they've made strides at underage lately and it'd be nice to see them move up a grade.... In the senior, it looks like Eire Og or Rathvilly, but Tinryland, as ever, are dark horses... Intermediate is Kildavins to lose.... They seem to have gotten their act together... and soccer starting back up will hurt the Blues."
Think it's actually Pal v Tinryland & Old Leighlin v Bagenalstown in the quarters. Are those games on next weekend actually or is it hurling?

fergie (Carlow) - Posts: 1045 - 26/08/2019 10:01:47    2229308

Link

Replying To fergie:  "Think it's actually Pal v Tinryland & Old Leighlin v Bagenalstown in the quarters. Are those games on next weekend actually or is it hurling?"
Yes, you are right. And it's Kilbride v Naomh Eoin and Eire Og B v Clonmore in the IFC... I was confused by the head-to-head rules.

CARPS (Carlow) - Posts: 276 - 26/08/2019 11:39:01    2229364

Link

Replying To fergie:  "Think it's actually Pal v Tinryland & Old Leighlin v Bagenalstown in the quarters. Are those games on next weekend actually or is it hurling?"
I think this weekend is a break for both hurling and football

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1243 - 26/08/2019 16:10:08    2229466

Link

I fancy Pal and Bagenalstown to advance to the semis. Eire Og not playing well and might be vulnerable against either. Championship is wide open.

ontheball85 (Carlow) - Posts: 180 - 28/08/2019 21:38:23    2230277

Link

great comeback by Baganalstown gaels last night. Tight win for Pal the other evening also.

What way does everyone think of the draw in senior?
The intermediate semi fianls after throwing up 2 derby games with the blues against Eire Og and Kildavin/Clonegal playing Naomh Eoin Myshall..those games could go either way.

Anybody also see the incident on the terrace yesterday during the first game

LetItIn6 (Wexford) - Posts: 11 - 16/09/2019 07:34:12    2235906

Link

Pal are really looking like the team who are really improving,impressed how fit they are,will be a great battle with rathvilly

Upthemiddle12 (Carlow) - Posts: 13 - 16/09/2019 12:42:45    2236054

Link

Replying To LetItIn6:  "great comeback by Baganalstown gaels last night. Tight win for Pal the other evening also.

What way does everyone think of the draw in senior?
The intermediate semi fianls after throwing up 2 derby games with the blues against Eire Og and Kildavin/Clonegal playing Naomh Eoin Myshall..those games could go either way.

Anybody also see the incident on the terrace yesterday during the first game"
Brilliant to see bagenalstown get to a semi..hasnt happened since 1978 or 80 apparently. Some comeback from them and some excellent scores.
I saw a bit of fisticuffs alright in the terrace

Carlow12345 (Carlow) - Posts: 21 - 17/09/2019 20:35:24    2236818

Link

SFC
I predict 2 tight games next wend.
Pal certainly improving and it will take a big Rathvilly effort to beat them.

Eire Og gone back a bit from last year, easily beaten by Tinryland in group stage. Bagenalstown are on the up and showed great character coming back to win well against Old Leighlin in extra time.

Pal to win by 2
BTown to win by 1

fullbach (Carlow) - Posts: 235 - 17/09/2019 21:02:40    2236839

Link

Replying To Carlow12345:  "Brilliant to see bagenalstown get to a semi..hasnt happened since 1978 or 80 apparently. Some comeback from them and some excellent scores.
I saw a bit of fisticuffs alright in the terrace"
When Rathvilly won their first SFC in 1983 I think it was they beat St Andrews in the semi final.

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1158 - 18/09/2019 16:08:22    2237200

Link

Two good semi finals in store. I think Rathvilly will beat Pal by 3 and Eire Og to beat Bagenalstown by 5.

ontheball85 (Carlow) - Posts: 180 - 18/09/2019 17:13:56    2237240

Link

Replying To ontheball85:  "Two good semi finals in store. I think Rathvilly will beat Pal by 3 and Eire Og to beat Bagenalstown by 5."
People seem to be easily forgetting the previous meeting between Rathvilly v Palatine in the group. Rathvilly were all but beat only for a freak goal to level affairs at the end. Palatine win this time for me.

Carlowrising (Carlow) - Posts: 8 - 18/09/2019 19:02:47    2237281

Link

Bagbalstown will be a real test for Eire Og...confidence is high and will not fear them.Palatine will really test Rathvilly,Pal should pull through with superior fitness.Brian Murphy will be a big addittion if he plays which might give them the edge.

Upthemiddle12 (Carlow) - Posts: 13 - 19/09/2019 10:02:30    2237471

Link