Westmeath Forum

Hurling Manager

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To preddan:  "well the tried and tested goalie wasnt involved for the joe mcdonagh"
So can you tell me what this has to do with getting a new manager in?

Westmeathk (Westmeath) - Posts: 6 - 07/08/2019 17:39:32    2222299

Link

Replying To Westmeathk:  "So can you tell me what this has to do with getting a new manager in?"
Paddy Carroll left the panel after being dropped for the league final. The sub keeper at the time was then dropped for disciplinary reasons. Nothing management could do. Lynch was the keeper for the entire McDonagh cup campaign and hardly at fault for an 11-12 point defeat. Who else didn't make themselves available under the previous management?

Bellewest (Westmeath) - Posts: 91 - 07/08/2019 18:32:24    2222319

Link

Replying To Bellewest:  "Paddy Carroll left the panel after being dropped for the league final. The sub keeper at the time was then dropped for disciplinary reasons. Nothing management could do. Lynch was the keeper for the entire McDonagh cup campaign and hardly at fault for an 11-12 point defeat. Who else didn't make themselves available under the previous management?"
If you read my original post I basically said everyone has to be involved as its a small pick to pick from.... I wasn't referring to anyone in particular not on the panel that should have been and I hope no one leaves for next year. Niall ó Brien and Niall Mitchell would have been more or less starters if available I'm sure so hopefully they will be back for 2020....anyway whether you like it or not I'm only expressing an opinion, from someone outside the county but supports the hurling team and want them to achieve their potential which didn't happen with the last manager

preddan (Kildare) - Posts: 431 - 07/08/2019 19:30:39    2222345

Link

Replying To preddan:  "If you read my original post I basically said everyone has to be involved as its a small pick to pick from.... I wasn't referring to anyone in particular not on the panel that should have been and I hope no one leaves for next year. Niall ó Brien and Niall Mitchell would have been more or less starters if available I'm sure so hopefully they will be back for 2020....anyway whether you like it or not I'm only expressing an opinion, from someone outside the county but supports the hurling team and want them to achieve their potential which didn't happen with the last manager"
To be fair O'Brien is working abroad and I don't know if he will be back for next season. Mitchell got injured against Kerry in the JoeMcDonagh game in Mullingar so neither were available for the Joe McDonagh final.

I would have thought the county board had someone lined up with how quickly Quaid was dismissed but who knows!!

Matthew (None) - Posts: 897 - 07/08/2019 20:13:57    2222387

Link

Any update on a new manager?

Offaly have gone with a Kilkenny man.
Is there any appetite among coaches within the county to take on the job.

We're at a huge disadvantage with the lack of training facilities for S&C and pitch availability to get in a high profile coach

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1648 - 28/08/2019 21:31:49    2230271

Link

A huge disadvantage that they have to train at different pitches to get lights and a decent surface. No proper gym facility's either which isn't ideal in any way. Offaly job would have been a good one to take given there not as bad as there playing or people made out. They will walk the Christy ring and have a good shot at the league so Fennelly could have a great first year .there u20 team hammered ours and yet people were slating Offaly yet apart from the fact our senior team is better than them atm they have the facilties and underage in there favor. Do you think our lack of facilities would be a factor in young managers like Eddie Brennan and Fennelly taking on the job ?

Gaawestmeath (Westmeath) - Posts: 34 - 29/08/2019 11:33:37    2230380

Link

Yes it probably does. County board were more interested in building a big new stand in Cusack Park. A big white elephant. Offaly have impressive facility's in faithful fields. Westmeath have NOTHING. Our underage teams are slipping back big time. Surely there is enough gaa people in the county to have the vision to create a centre of excellence for county football and hurling squads to train on. Outskirts of mullingar would be the ideal location.

overdabar (Westmeath) - Posts: 209 - 29/08/2019 15:53:58    2230463

Link

The vision yes, the money? No? Outskirts of Mullingar? Minimum €1-1.5m to buy land and build anything half decent. Not easy to raise that money.

Bellewest (Westmeath) - Posts: 91 - 29/08/2019 17:09:39    2230485

Link

Replying To Bellewest:  "The vision yes, the money? No? Outskirts of Mullingar? Minimum €1-1.5m to buy land and build anything half decent. Not easy to raise that money."
6-7 years ago NAMA had parcels of land around the town and so did a few government departments and county council.

As the previous poster mentioned, a big stand was planned that will be full maybe once a year instead of a few playing fields and gym/meeting rooms/hurling wall.
No strategic thinking in the county.

Would a sensible proposition be to get a lease on the fields at St Finians and develop them in conjunction with the school. There's space for 3 full size pitches

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1648 - 30/08/2019 20:18:37    2230819

Link

So we go from a threadifferent about a hurling manager to property development . Nothing new in that on this site

mickcunningham (Westmeath) - Posts: 1156 - 31/08/2019 01:59:46    2230880

Link

It's part of the reason we find it hard to fill the vacancy, get coaches for underage squads and develop new players

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1648 - 31/08/2019 09:36:26    2230907

Link

Any update on management for the coming year? Time is starting to tick.

Westmeathk (Westmeath) - Posts: 6 - 09/09/2019 13:15:26    2233834

Link

I believe interviews are on going and there will be a name put forward at next co committee meeting. Shane O'Brien is tipped for it but I heard John Meylers name mentioned too...

stonemadbeany (USA) - Posts: 375 - 11/09/2019 12:59:42    2234391

Link

Replying To stonemadbeany:  "I believe interviews are on going and there will be a name put forward at next co committee meeting. Shane O'Brien is tipped for it but I heard John Meylers name mentioned too..."
When is the next meeting do you know? Supposedly players were happy with Shane O'Brien so why wouldn't they just keep him on? Anyone else besides meylers name mentioned?

Westmeathk (Westmeath) - Posts: 6 - 11/09/2019 22:54:10    2234611

Link

Replying To stonemadbeany:  "I believe interviews are on going and there will be a name put forward at next co committee meeting. Shane O'Brien is tipped for it but I heard John Meylers name mentioned too..."
Is Johhny Greville not a candidate?

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 692 - 12/09/2019 01:38:48    2234629

Link

Johnny will stay with the camogie . He is dedicated to it and with the team at senior I couldn't see him leaving . Meyer is an interesting one

mickcunningham (Westmeath) - Posts: 1156 - 12/09/2019 10:56:15    2234680

Link