Galway Forum

Galway Football 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Marooned:  "Kerry with a very strong team out again. Only really missing David Moran.

Shane Ryan
Jason Foley
Tadhg Morley
Shane Enright
Paul Murphy
Gavin Crowley
Gavin White
Liam Kearney
Jack Barry
Gavin O'Brien
Sean O'Shea
Stephen O'Brien
James O'Donoghue
David Clifford
Paul Geaney"
now that forward line and full forward line in particular will test the pj principles... im all for more attacking football but the barn door must be closed behind you too!!
Dare i say the kw record v kerry was very good and always frustrated the key forwards...i m hoping for good balance, entertainment and ideally a good result!

squares_edge (Galway) - Posts: 596 - 01/02/2020 13:49:20    2264177

Link

Replying To squares_edge:  "now that forward line and full forward line in particular will test the pj principles... im all for more attacking football but the barn door must be closed behind you too!!
Dare i say the kw record v kerry was very good and always frustrated the key forwards...i m hoping for good balance, entertainment and ideally a good result!"
well we got all that bar the result
seems to be confusion on the black card- surely it is 10 minutes playing time not just ten minutes and thats why mcdaid was off for 12 mins
on a side note mcdaid has now had three black cards this year and eventhough he is playing quite well he is likely not worth the risk with this 10 minute penalty being so severe

squares_edge (Galway) - Posts: 596 - 01/02/2020 20:43:00    2264277

Link

@squares edge: his BC was a significant contributing element to losing the game, that's for sure. Definitely something he'll have to work on, or he'll be too much of a liability.

festinog (Galway) - Posts: 2807 - 02/02/2020 16:54:42    2264501

Link

Molloy will get McDaids place...

Hupgalway (Galway) - Posts: 234 - 02/02/2020 18:14:27    2264546

Link

Replying To Hupgalway:  "Molloy will get McDaids place..."
One statement in Tomas O'Se article, when he described Pj' s mindset as regards leadership resonated:- he will go only go with players he trusts..

Now I know McDaid would not be one of those leaders, but nevertheless, you get the feeling that Pj won't suffer, to put it mildly, players lacking awareness or, not fully tuned in...

Really (Galway) - Posts: 364 - 02/02/2020 18:53:07    2264570

Link

We were treated to a spectacular match under lights in Kerry lastnight , great game to be at !
Galway can be proud of their performance , they really put it up to Kerry , just a few misses came back to bite them but they can take a lot from that game !
Thought gleeson Was superb in goal !
Full backline were too far off their men in the first half but tightened up after that !
John Daly with another great performance , starting to be one of the most important players for Galway, so calm and composed on the ball !
Walsh was unbelievable , his speed is ridiculous , 2 easy misses in first half came back to bite him in the end !
Finnerty was quite , think varley should of started ahead of him !
M Daly put in a good performance , he won a lot of ball in the first half and used it well , probably disappointed to get taken off !
The hightlights on TV don't show the true story of the game only show people kicking scores which doesn't give an honest view on the performances of some players !

galwayXI (Galway) - Posts: 69 - 02/02/2020 20:28:12    2264636

Link

Galway played well and should have won the reality is if we were 2 Loose next week we probably be in bottom 2,of league after 3 matches , 2, years ago Galway beat both Kerry'and Donegal away it's great playing nice football but points on the table is what's its. All about and no doubt the management are well aware of this it's a very competitive division and a few bad results and ur in division 2 next year ,,

Kickitout (Galway) - Posts: 392 - 02/02/2020 20:52:55    2264654

Link

now that the highlights of kerry galway are over we go again so what of the team for next week?

i expect the same backs with duane keeping his place- sean kelly still not fit
tom flynn into midfield with darcy dropping out
forwards with o laoi out varley in and michael daly to the half forward line

i dont expect the additional corofin lads to be back for this one (apart from steede who pj has obviously prioritised for game timer)

squares_edge (Galway) - Posts: 596 - 02/02/2020 22:27:25    2264691

Link

Connor Gleeson; Seán Kelly, Seán Mulkerrin, Johnny Heaney; Gary O'Donnell, John Daly, Cillian McDaid; Ronan Steede, Céin D'Arcy; Eamonn Brannigan, Damien Comer, Michael Daly; Rob Finnerty, Shane Walsh, Mikey Boyle

boyle gets another run...needs to take his chance this time- harsh on varley

michael daly being played into form by pj it seems
sean kelly as a marker im not so sure but worth a look
good to see a lot of players retained and momentum hopefully gained
would like to see flynn and conroy get game tinme

squares_edge (Galway) - Posts: 596 - 04/02/2020 22:52:07    2265249

Link

While john Daly looks good going forward
On watching back the game again
He was pretty poor defensively in parts of that game
He needs to be better at intercepting and putting pressure on the player hes facing
I think hes was badly caught out at end for the goal
So while he had good moments there is a lot to work on defensively

rhudson (Galway) - Posts: 1101 - 05/02/2020 16:18:05    2265418

Link

Replying To squares_edge:  "Connor Gleeson; Seán Kelly, Seán Mulkerrin, Johnny Heaney; Gary O'Donnell, John Daly, Cillian McDaid; Ronan Steede, Céin D'Arcy; Eamonn Brannigan, Damien Comer, Michael Daly; Rob Finnerty, Shane Walsh, Mikey Boyle

boyle gets another run...needs to take his chance this time- harsh on varley

michael daly being played into form by pj it seems
sean kelly as a marker im not so sure but worth a look
good to see a lot of players retained and momentum hopefully gained
would like to see flynn and conroy get game tinme"
I'd say Varley is injured after his clash with Gavin White the last night.

Hupgalway (Galway) - Posts: 234 - 05/02/2020 16:53:07    2265434

Link

I would presume Varley must be injured otherwise he surely be playing the understanding he has with Shane Walsh is very good , Boyle and Michael Daly very lucky 2 be getting the start ,

Kickitout (Galway) - Posts: 392 - 05/02/2020 17:51:39    2265445

Link

I see PJ is in the paper today saying he was very happy with the defense after the Kerry game but not so happy with the forwards who left "2-6 behind them".

Marooned (Galway) - Posts: 1730 - 05/02/2020 19:31:15    2265481

Link

Replying To rhudson:  "While john Daly looks good going forward
On watching back the game again
He was pretty poor defensively in parts of that game
He needs to be better at intercepting and putting pressure on the player hes facing
I think hes was badly caught out at end for the goal
So while he had good moments there is a lot to work on defensively"
I don't agree with that.
I watched him at one stage the other night.
His man made a 20 yard run to out under the stand, he stayed where he was on the 45 line in the centre because he knew O'Laoi and one of the midfielders had the space covered. Couple of plays later his man was back standing beside him and kerry and gone no where. Thats a natural ability to hold your position and understand defending and space. If that was Bradshaw, he would have followed his man out to the stand, ball would have come nowhere near them and Kerry would be off down the middle where the space had been left. Goal Clifford!

johnterry (Galway) - Posts: 333 - 05/02/2020 20:26:37    2265502

Link

Corofin
2/5
Mountbellew/Moylough
8/1
Moycullen
10/1
Tuam Stars
10/1
Annaghdown
11/1
Salthill
12/1
St James
20/1
Killanin
20/1
Claregalway
22/1
Milltown
28/1
Oughterard
28/1
Monivea Abbey
50/1
St Michaels
66/1
An Spideal
66/1
Barna
150/1
Caherlistrane
150/1
An Cheathru Rua
200/1

galway4life (Galway) - Posts: 172 - 09/02/2020 11:21:28    2266289

Link

great result up in donegal and pj is settling into the job well it now seems!
think gleeson was rash with the tackle but made a great save earlier- solid shot stopper and doesnt seem to have clangers in him
sean kelly and heaney along with mulkerrins going great guns in the full back line
the half back line seems to becoming more settled also with JD at 6 and 2 from brannigan mcdaid and odonnell (with corofins molloy to come back in to contention also
midfiled is still up in the air but good tohave options with pc foc tf darcy and steede vying for two spots
in the forwards walsh michael daly comer and finnerty look pretty solid with a number of players along with corofins going for two places

exciting times and bring on round 4!!

squares_edge (Galway) - Posts: 596 - 09/02/2020 20:06:20    2266541

Link