Longford Forum

All Ireland Intermediate Football Championship!!!!????

(Oldest Posts First)

As gaa hierarchy will probably not bothers asking "weaker county" supporters, their views on a second/third tier championship, im interested to find out, how fellow longford supporters would feel about same.

As much as i hate to say this, i think brolly is right when he says, there should be a 3 tier championship, if they're going to go with it at all.

I always think of the club championship,and because of the coverage and prestige, the respective county boards give their championships, intermediate and junior players would give their right arms to win these championships.

If gaa hierarchy, sponsored, prompted and respected an all ireland intermediate football championship, giving it coverage on live games and Sunday game etc, playing games as curtain raisers to senior games, where occasions arise, and maybe play a junior and intermediate all ireland finals on "all ireland Saturday" making it an "all Ireland weekend".

Would we, as longford supporters, be proud to see our team climbing the steps of croke park, to be crowned All Ireland Intermediate Football Champions???

This of course is presuming, that the competition is given the respect our players deserve it to be, that its given adequate coverage and promotion, thats its made prestigious to win and its not treated like a Tommy Murphy competition or a joe mcdonagh cup competition.

Your thoughts on longford being all Ireland intermediate football champions???!!!!!

Longfordbaz (Longford) - Posts: 133 - 10/06/2019 21:13:42    2193217

Link

Replying To Longfordbaz:  "As gaa hierarchy will probably not bothers asking "weaker county" supporters, their views on a second/third tier championship, im interested to find out, how fellow longford supporters would feel about same.

As much as i hate to say this, i think brolly is right when he says, there should be a 3 tier championship, if they're going to go with it at all.

I always think of the club championship,and because of the coverage and prestige, the respective county boards give their championships, intermediate and junior players would give their right arms to win these championships.

If gaa hierarchy, sponsored, prompted and respected an all ireland intermediate football championship, giving it coverage on live games and Sunday game etc, playing games as curtain raisers to senior games, where occasions arise, and maybe play a junior and intermediate all ireland finals on "all ireland Saturday" making it an "all Ireland weekend".

Would we, as longford supporters, be proud to see our team climbing the steps of croke park, to be crowned All Ireland Intermediate Football Champions???

This of course is presuming, that the competition is given the respect our players deserve it to be, that its given adequate coverage and promotion, thats its made prestigious to win and its not treated like a Tommy Murphy competition or a joe mcdonagh cup competition.

Your thoughts on longford being all Ireland intermediate football champions???!!!!!"
I support it. The idea that Longford can compete with top tier counties with their population and structure is hubristic nonsense. Imagine if the Longford club championship was all teams in same pot. How long before today's Intermediate and Junior clubs would simply fall away or fail to collect players and field teams due to lack of progress and achievement. We do tiered structures every day in many areas of life, but for one reason it is seen as regressive when it comes to county football. That one reason is the provincial championships. Take away the now outdated provincial structure and the validity of tiers becomes instantly obvious. Longford is an Intermediate grade county (and a damn fine one), we should be playing in the second tier of an All Ireland Championship. Had we crept over the line against Kildare we would have had that made clear (yet again) in painful detail. Qualifiers tend to blur the lines and numb the pain a bit, hence we get excited until we meet a real Tier 1 outfit on form, and then bang, back to earth we come. Embrace the Tiers.

arcadia (Longford) - Posts: 75 - 12/06/2019 17:45:01    2194051

Link

I don't think it would work, the level of interest in it wouldn't have lads out training in october in any rate. There should be a champions league style format introduced in my opinion

flavinisbetterthannerney (Longford) - Posts: 13 - 12/06/2019 19:36:54    2194116

Link

Unfortunately the reality is that it would get as much coverage as the Joe McDonagh Cup or even less. You might get TG4 to cover the final if you're lucky.

There is a very clear hierarchy of priorities in Croke Park and RTE with hurling, and particularly Munster hurling, coming top of the pile, the Dublin football team coming next, and everyone else left trotting after. They're quite happy catering for an elite of counties whether it be the Munster round-robin (note that there's no question of Waterford getting relegated from that no matter how badly they do, whereas Carlow get one bite at the Leinster senior championship and get kicked down again) or the new toy that is the Super 8. Money talks, frankly.

TurnipAyter (Longford) - Posts: 97 - 13/06/2019 02:49:46    2194233

Link

Replying To TurnipAyter:  "Unfortunately the reality is that it would get as much coverage as the Joe McDonagh Cup or even less. You might get TG4 to cover the final if you're lucky.

There is a very clear hierarchy of priorities in Croke Park and RTE with hurling, and particularly Munster hurling, coming top of the pile, the Dublin football team coming next, and everyone else left trotting after. They're quite happy catering for an elite of counties whether it be the Munster round-robin (note that there's no question of Waterford getting relegated from that no matter how badly they do, whereas Carlow get one bite at the Leinster senior championship and get kicked down again) or the new toy that is the Super 8. Money talks, frankly."
Yeah, turnipAyter, it all about getting coverage, media and tv etc. Its about the promotion of the product and how its rolled out.

Different sport i know, but when Heineken cup was first rolled out, none of the professional teams in england or france wanted extra fixtures to their season and had little interest in it.....look at it now.....it was promoted, funded, advertised to an inch of its life, and now look at it.

If it were to be treated like the joe mcdonagh cup, forget about it.....but, and its a big but.....the gaa hierarchy were to do all of the above, it could be fantastic, to see a longford captain lift the all Ireland intermediate football cup, on an all ireland weekend.

What the gaa hierarchy seem to be ignorant of, is the fact that gaelic football in its current climate, is dying on its feet.

They try and convince us there's a super 8. Theres not, theres a super 3 at best, if last yr is anything to go by. The all Ireland final was over after 15 mins last yr. I haven't bothered watching a dublin game yet in the championship.

They have to realise, that alot of counties are actually evenly matched outside of these 3 counties. The all ireland intermediate football championship could actually be a far better competition for the supporter, with teams more evenly matched and games going to the wire.

Take our county at the moment, when everyone makes themselves available for selection, we're a fine little team and as another poster stated, we're a damn fine intermediate team. Dublin aside, you would always give us a chance against anyone else in leinster.

But we come back to the competitions promotion and making it prestigious to win. If tg4 is the height of its coverage, don't even bother.

Longfordbaz (Longford) - Posts: 133 - 15/06/2019 20:33:31    2195392

Link