Down Forum

League And Championship Predictions

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To bricktop:  "If Newry can't win the junior this year against a team of old codgers then they never will

Bredagh will win the intermediate. Simon has them ticking over well

Bredagh will also win the minor as they gave everyone a walloping in the championship round robin including Ballygalget.
In the league it seemed to be a bit hit and miss who Bredagh had lined out. They'll be full strength on Saturday.

Galgets will do well to keep 15 on the field, couldn't even do it in an U14 game the other week."
Wrong again bricktop sometimes I just have a good laugh to myself with your predictions but then again what to expect from a bit part player

Down97 (Down) - Posts: 20 - 22/09/2019 10:19:11    2238204

Link

Ballela very disappointing today especially in the second half Extremely unfit and only capable of scoring through the 2 Mc Cusker's who were double marked most of the time their back line was away of the pace of the game extremely poor midfield which is not like Ballela but shamrocks much fitter and some good young Hurlers coming through deserved their win today hopefully Paul Will be ok they will need him if they want to progress in Ulster

nosides (Down) - Posts: 231 - 22/09/2019 18:32:18    2238307

Link

So Shamrocks win the JHC at last. It most be over 10 years since there last win. Well done on a big win over a battling Ballela. Sorry to see Paul Sheehan pick up a nasty looking knee injury and I expected the young Shamrocks lads to struggle without his leadership but they all stepped up to the plate. Shamrocks face Sean Tracey's, Lurgan in Ulster.

The second game was a really good championship match. Bredagh were very poor in first half but still went in level at the break. The 2nd half swung back and forward between both of them and either team could have won. Carryduff were the better team today but a draw was a fair result.

I hear the replay will be before the SHC final next Sunday in John Mitchel Pk. Our u16s final will be moved to later at the same venue.

Seannie Og (Down) - Posts: 940 - 22/09/2019 18:32:46    2238309

Link

I believe 2004 was the last time Shamrocks won the JHC. A long time for a club who go in as favourites most years although til be fair they did play intermediate for a few years.

Well deserved win today for Newry boys. Ballela were not up to the standard required to win JHC and compete in Ulster. Hopefully the injury to Sheehan is not as bad as it looked. Hes a great player and a lovely lad. Id hate to see him miss out on playing in Ulster.
I wish the Shamrocks well in Ulster. Its time the county won another Ulster title and I think this young team may be capable of it.

Ballela have some hope for the future. A couple of the younger lads performed really well and will learn lessons from the defeat. McGreevy at No 5 was excellent.

Frank Mitchell (Down) - Posts: 1066 - 22/09/2019 19:17:41    2238316

Link

What's the thoughts on the big match on Sunday. It'll be another close game hopefully the ports can keep the bank line in order and cut the silly frees out. And get the ball up to Connor and eoghan will get a few goals between them ports by 3

Awaywiththeferrys (Down) - Posts: 60 - 23/09/2019 17:42:30    2238605

Link

Great win for our lads, we won every game in the championship well and played good hurling throughout....young lads really came of age in 2nd half when Paul got injured and they grabbed game by scruff of the neck

Because likes of mc Guinness etc are still playing people sometimes don't realise how young that team has been past couple of years....10 of the lads starting are under 23, most of those bar two u22/21 so we have something to build with going forward and a relief to get over the line eventually after six defeats in intermediate and junior finals in past ten years.....

Agree with earlier poster young Mc greevy played very well for Ballela which is good to see, very committed lad with good potential.

PaudieSull1 (Down) - Posts: 711 - 24/09/2019 11:49:26    2238732

Link

Replying To Awaywiththeferrys:  "What's the thoughts on the big match on Sunday. It'll be another close game hopefully the ports can keep the bank line in order and cut the silly frees out. And get the ball up to Connor and eoghan will get a few goals between them ports by 3"
As much as we lack a bit of pace in the backs I think we'll bully your backs with our superior strength and conditioning and get plenty of opportunities for Karol to let in the odd soft one or two.

I hope the referee (refs have been good so far in the championship) knows that lying on the ball is a free and not a hop ball even if the keeper does it..

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2386 - 24/09/2019 12:29:19    2238755

Link

Replying To Awaywiththeferrys:  "What's the thoughts on the big match on Sunday. It'll be another close game hopefully the ports can keep the bank line in order and cut the silly frees out. And get the ball up to Connor and eoghan will get a few goals between them ports by 3"
As I said in previous posts there not be much in it can even be a draw but with wot happened last year I am going to side with ports.

Therealnumer1 (Down) - Posts: 83 - 24/09/2019 13:32:16    2238779

Link

Shamrocks finally made it over the line on Sunday with a convincing win over old rivals Ballela. good luck in Ulster and hopefully the injury to Paul Sheehan was not too serious as they will need everyone.

A draw in the Intermediate final. It will be difficult to separate these two when the replay comes around but I just fancy Carryduff to squeeze through

The minor final on Saturday was an exciting one with Ballygalget winning out in the end by just a point. Watsons ability to win and convert frees in the second half was a big factor in their win although Hughes for Bredagh was the outstanding player on view. Good luck to Ballygalget in Ulster the Ulster campaign

down12792 (Down) - Posts: 122 - 24/09/2019 14:28:17    2238790

Link

As everyone has said no luck for the Ballela boys on Sunday, really poor showing compared to the small number of games I've seen them play this year, Newry took the bull by the horns when Sheehan went off and put them to bed. If Ballela can work hard over the winter I can't see many teams stopping them next year as Warrenpoint and Newry will progress into division 1 and intermediate championship respectively, leaving teams that pose very little threat.

Great 2nd game between Carryduff and Bredagh, personally I had written Carryduff off after the last game in the group stages. They didn't drop the heads and in my opinion should have won on the day. It'll be an interesting curtain raiser to the Senior game on Sunday.

As for the Senior championship it'll be a tight one, Portaferry being slight favourites in my eyes, if young Egan can bring his form from the Ballygalget game last time out he'll do some damage. Portaferry have the usual danger men who can rise to the occasion. Portaferry +2

Hurler2012 (Down) - Posts: 12 - 24/09/2019 16:46:06    2238820

Link

A word when the intermediate hurling replay is

Heinz1 (Down) - Posts: 6 - 25/09/2019 18:07:40    2239170

Link

Replying To Heinz1:  "A word when the intermediate hurling replay is"
The Dub next wednesday night

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2386 - 26/09/2019 13:55:24    2239378

Link

Wrang again bricktop

crannumber2 (Down) - Posts: 278 - 26/09/2019 19:31:15    2239449

Link

Replying To crannumber2:  "Wrang again bricktop"
Thursday night.

Apologies there Mutley.

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2386 - 27/09/2019 14:44:21    2239653

Link

Is there a Sands on his way home from USA for big game tomorrow?

cranfanatic (Down) - Posts: 79 - 28/09/2019 13:00:30    2239818

Link

Replying To cranfanatic:  "Is there a Sands on his way home from USA for big game tomorrow?"
Aye he's flying home with Thomas cook.

No he's not coming home

Awaywiththeferrys (Down) - Posts: 60 - 28/09/2019 14:51:47    2239829

Link

Definitely not the result we wanted today got of to a great start but nothing went right after that couldn't get control of the game think nerves got to a few lads but keep heads up lads yous done the club proud getting to final hopefully next year we can get over the line

Awaywiththeferrys (Down) - Posts: 60 - 29/09/2019 19:56:13    2240097

Link

Replying To Awaywiththeferrys:  "Definitely not the result we wanted today got of to a great start but nothing went right after that couldn't get control of the game think nerves got to a few lads but keep heads up lads yous done the club proud getting to final hopefully next year we can get over the line"
Don't think nerves had much to do with it. Portaferry suffered from a bigger problem, not being good enough.

cranfanatic (Down) - Posts: 79 - 30/09/2019 19:00:04    2240428

Link

Replying To cranfanatic:  "Don't think nerves had much to do with it. Portaferry suffered from a bigger problem, not being good enough."
In a nutshell both sides of the line.

Made themselves a laughing stock with some of their substitutions.

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2386 - 01/10/2019 10:09:13    2240540

Link

Now the riveting three team hurling championship is over, attentions turn to football.

Well done to Ballycran.

SFC - Kilcoo v Warrenpoint

IFC - Shamrocks v Glenn

JFC - Aughlisnafinn v Bright

Warrenpoint to hopefully cause an upset in the SFC, just to mix up the natural order. Kilcoo v Clonduff was brutal to watch and Kilcoo don't seem to let their talented forwards express themselves, whereas the Point might take a more positive approach than Clonduff and Burren did.

Glenn should win the IFC against a mid-table Div 3 side, even without their 3 county men who are out of the country. Though Shamrocks done well to beat a good Darragh Cross team in the semi so could make life difficult for them.

Aughlisnafinn to win the JFC after winning Div 4 and beating the favourites earlier in the JFC. Though Bright ran them close in the league and by all accounts have a good young team coming through.

icantshoot (Down) - Posts: 59 - 01/10/2019 10:38:33    2240548

Link