Down Forum

League And Championship Predictions

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Awaywiththeferrys:  "If you're moving the games from the Ards why not go to Downpatrick would that not make sense or is it being used"
Hearing that apparently the next 2 rounds will be in Downpatrick so assuming it's being used on Saturday.

cranfanatic (Down) - Posts: 71 - 27/08/2019 20:03:50    2229915

Link

Promoting hurling in North Down it seems..

Bredagh are favourites for the minors from what I've seen, decent U16's who shouldn't have dropped down a division as they were competitive with the other teams in that league. U14's same as U16's.

Carryduff have fallen off the hurling radar at underage, if having senior games has the desired effect then good, but it takes more than that.

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2358 - 28/08/2019 10:20:09    2230028

Link

Safurday's Double Header in Newcastle seems to be a do or die game for all 4 clubs. The two winners will progress to the next round and face a fancied Newry or Warrenpoint.

Ballela vs Ballyvarley - hard to look past the green and yellow here as they've dominated this fixture the past number of years. Played well against them in the league without Jonny McCusker (is he back or still out) and the absent Mal Magee. With some of the BV players playing football it'd be a hard test for them and with a player missing due to suspension they'll surely get it tougher than usual. It is always a great game and can see Ballela running out winners by 15+.

Castlewellan vs Kilclief - havent saw my of the strangford men playing recently but they always put up a fight and never back down. Big Finty will surely ease the tie in their favour. With Castlewellan not doing too great in the league or against W'point it'll be a real test for them in Newcastle. If the number 6 can control the backline and get the ball to the right parts of the field they have pace and youth in that forward line and can do damage if given the chances. It'll be a tight came and come down to the wire. I reckon kilclief +2.

Sure to be a great day, hopefully a crowd will turn out

onionbag27 (Down) - Posts: 12 - 28/08/2019 22:13:38    2230286

Link

Safurday's Double Header in Newcastle seems to be a do or die game for all 4 clubs. The two winners will progress to the next round and face a fancied Newry or Warrenpoint.

Ballela vs Ballyvarley - hard to look past the green and yellow here as they've dominated this fixture the past number of years. Played well against them in the league without Jonny McCusker (is he back or still out) and the absent Mal Magee. With some of the BV players playing football it'd be a hard test for them and with a player missing due to suspension they'll surely get it tougher than usual. It is always a great game and can see Ballela running out winners by 15+.

Castlewellan vs Kilclief - havent saw my of the strangford men playing recently but they always put up a fight and never back down. Big Finty will surely ease the tie in their favour. With Castlewellan not doing too great in the league or against W'point it'll be a real test for them in Newcastle. If the number 6 can control the backline and get the ball to the right parts of the field they have pace and youth in that forward line and can do damage if given the chances. It'll be a tight came and come down to the wire. I reckon kilclief +2.

Sure to be a great day, hopefully a crowd will turn out

onionbag27 (Down) - Posts: 12 - 28/08/2019 22:25:58    2230290

Link

Downpatrick pitch is closed. Theyre getting work done to the pitch so it's not available for hurley matches or football.

Seannie Og (Down) - Posts: 939 - 29/08/2019 10:15:33    2230351

Link

Looking forward to the games on Saturday......hopefully be good crowds at all games....nice to see Bright getting a match and hopefully a good crowd there as they are always very obliging to county teams whenever asked for their facilities.

Hoping to get to the intermediate match and then onto the two senior games, big test for Liatriom but if they can get everyone onto the pitch (bar the injured Pearse Og ) they will be competitive......

PaudieSull1 (Down) - Posts: 702 - 29/08/2019 11:59:22    2230386

Link

Any truth bricktop that yous were complaining about the state of the pitch when yous up is the surface that bad that you walked off ??

Therealnumer1 (Down) - Posts: 58 - 29/08/2019 14:03:22    2230418

Link

Replying To Therealnumer1:  "Any truth bricktop that yous were complaining about the state of the pitch when yous up is the surface that bad that you walked off ??"
With the rain that is supposed to be due wonder what state the pitch will be in hopefully we don't get the rain that was forecast

Awaywiththeferrys (Down) - Posts: 51 - 29/08/2019 16:04:14    2230468

Link

Is Daithi Sands still in the states or is he back for Portaferry's championship?

ciaran1988 (Antrim) - Posts: 79 - 29/08/2019 16:58:22    2230482

Link

A load of games on tomorrow. Good to see all teams getting more matches. I don't know why we didnte bring in the back door or groups years ago.

I'll be in Newcastle for the JHC double header and thank God theres a stand because it gonna rain.

Ballela v Ballyvarley

Ballela will win this easily but it could be rough enough. Ballyvarley wont be laying down.

Castlewellan v Kilclief

I'm afraid I cant see our lads beating Kilclief. We have some good young players but lack experience.

If I don't get to wet in Newcastle I hope to head for Carryduff for the SHC double header. A lot of the Ards ones do a load of crying every time a game is taken out of the Ards. Lets give Carryduff a chance an see how it all goes tomorrow.

Liatroim v Ballygalget

I cant see Liatroim getting close to the Galgets. Galgets by 10+

Ballycran v Portaferry

These game are always tight. Im predicting a draw with Ports winning AET.

Frank Mitchell (Down) - Posts: 1065 - 30/08/2019 11:13:25    2230635

Link

Replying To Frank Mitchell:  "A load of games on tomorrow. Good to see all teams getting more matches. I don't know why we didnte bring in the back door or groups years ago.

I'll be in Newcastle for the JHC double header and thank God theres a stand because it gonna rain.

Ballela v Ballyvarley

Ballela will win this easily but it could be rough enough. Ballyvarley wont be laying down.

Castlewellan v Kilclief

I'm afraid I cant see our lads beating Kilclief. We have some good young players but lack experience.

If I don't get to wet in Newcastle I hope to head for Carryduff for the SHC double header. A lot of the Ards ones do a load of crying every time a game is taken out of the Ards. Lets give Carryduff a chance an see how it all goes tomorrow.

Liatroim v Ballygalget

Ballycran v Portaferry

These game are always tight. Im predicting a draw with Ports winning AET."
Frank hope your wrong about the rain and the ports drawing we'll like to get it done in normal time as there will be enough hurling in the next month without extra time

Awaywiththeferrys (Down) - Posts: 51 - 30/08/2019 12:24:08    2230660

Link

Replying To Awaywiththeferrys:  "
Replying To Frank Mitchell:  "A load of games on tomorrow. Good to see all teams getting more matches. I don't know why we didnte bring in the back door or groups years ago.

Ballela v Ballyvarley

Castlewellan v Kilclief

Liatroim v Ballygalget

Ballycran v Portaferry

Frank hope your wrong about the rain and the ports drawing we'll like to get it done in normal time as there will be enough hurling in the next month without extra time"
A quick note on the use of extra time. Having a flick through the GAA rules (as you do) and I saw that if a Championship is being played on a part league part knock-out basis then the league part is played as such with 2 points for a win and 1 point for a draw. How are the Down CB able to just make up their own rules for these situations when it's clearly illustrated in the GAA's own rules?

cranfanatic (Down) - Posts: 71 - 31/08/2019 12:39:58    2230961

Link

Replying To cranfanatic:  "
Replying To Awaywiththeferrys:  "[quote=Frank Mitchell:  "A load of games on tomorrow. Good to see all teams getting more matches. I don't know why we didnte bring in the back door or groups years ago.

Ballela v Ballyvarley

Castlewellan v Kilclief

Liatroim v Ballygalget

Ballycran v Portaferry

Frank hope your wrong about the rain and the ports drawing we'll like to get it done in normal time as there will be enough hurling in the next month without extra time"
A quick note on the use of extra time. Having a flick through the GAA rules (as you do) and I saw that if a Championship is being played on a part league part knock-out basis then the league part is played as such with 2 points for a win and 1 point for a draw. How are the Down CB able to just make up their own rules for these situations when it's clearly illustrated in the GAA's own rules?"]We'll not need to worry about extra time tonight Portaferry will get the win by 2 points fingers crossed

Awaywiththeferrys (Down) - Posts: 51 - 31/08/2019 14:41:31    2230988

Link

Replying To cranfanatic:  "[quote=Awaywiththeferrys:  "[quote=Frank Mitchell:  "A load of games on tomorrow. Good to see all teams getting more matches. I don't know why we didnte bring in the back door or groups years ago.

Ballela v Ballyvarley

Castlewellan v Kilclief

Liatroim v Ballygalget

Ballycran v Portaferry

A quick note on the use of extra time. Having a flick through the GAA rules (as you do) and I saw that if a Championship is being played on a part league part knock-out basis then the league part is played as such with 2 points for a win and 1 point for a draw. How are the Down CB able to just make up their own rules for these situations when it's clearly illustrated in the GAA's own rules?"]We'll not need to worry about extra time tonight Portaferry will get the win by 2 points fingers crossed"]Ballela win very easy 6-16 to 0-9 good to see a number of their younger players making a mark with a good number of their main boys not starting Castlewellan putting it up well to kilclief here only 5 points in it towards halftime could go either way

nosides (Down) - Posts: 231 - 31/08/2019 15:42:56    2231002

Link

Wasn't the best of games to watch but the ports just got the win took Portaferry about 35/40 minutes to get going need to improve for next set of games ballycran seemed to run out of steam and missed a good few frees to win the game I'd say that'll be the final

Awaywiththeferrys (Down) - Posts: 51 - 31/08/2019 21:55:24    2231074

Link

A quick note on the use of extra time. Having a flick through the GAA rules (as you do) and I saw that if a Championship is being played on a part league part knock-out basis then the league part is played as such with 2 points for a win and 1 point for a draw. How are the Down CB able to just make up their own rules for these situations when it's clearly illustrated in the GAA's own rules?

cranfanatic (Down) - Posts: 66 - 31/08/2019 12:39:58

Ha ha ha. We all remember how the Crans tried this 2 years ago with the famous appeal to Ulster. They lost. Get over it.

Anyway it's not a round robin or league. It's a knock out with a back door competition - which is where the Cran ar now! Try reading the rules of the competition.

Seannie Og (Down) - Posts: 939 - 01/09/2019 11:41:03    2231139

Link

Replying To Seannie Og:  "A quick note on the use of extra time. Having a flick through the GAA rules (as you do) and I saw that if a Championship is being played on a part league part knock-out basis then the league part is played as such with 2 points for a win and 1 point for a draw. How are the Down CB able to just make up their own rules for these situations when it's clearly illustrated in the GAA's own rules?

Ha ha ha. We all remember how the Crans tried this 2 years ago with the famous appeal to Ulster. They lost. Get over it.

Anyway it's not a round robin or league. It's a knock out with a back door competition - which is where the Cran ar now! Try reading the rules of the competition."
No problem with the result yesterday, if you go back and look you'll see I posted my query before the match took place.
If Portaferry don't get the business done next week they'll be looking at the same back door we are, that full back line will be got at by Toner and Prenter.

cranfanatic (Down) - Posts: 71 - 01/09/2019 20:13:27    2231486

Link

Replying To cranfanatic:  "
Replying To Seannie Og:  "A quick note on the use of extra time. Having a flick through the GAA rules (as you do) and I saw that if a Championship is being played on a part league part knock-out basis then the league part is played as such with 2 points for a win and 1 point for a draw. How are the Down CB able to just make up their own rules for these situations when it's clearly illustrated in the GAA's own rules?

Anyway it's not a round robin or league. It's a knock out with a back door competition - which is where the Cran ar now! Try reading the rules of the competition."
No problem with the result yesterday, if you go back and look you'll see I posted my query before the match took place.
If Portaferry don't get the business done next week they'll be looking at the same back door we are, that full back line will be got at by Toner and Prenter."
Did Danny toner pick up a injury yesterday ?

Awaywiththeferrys (Down) - Posts: 51 - 01/09/2019 20:56:45    2231520

Link

Replying To cranfanatic:  "[quote=Seannie Og:  "A quick note on the use of extra time. Having a flick through the GAA rules (as you do) and I saw that if a Championship is being played on a part league part knock-out basis then the league part is played as such with 2 points for a win and 1 point for a draw. How are the Down CB able to just make up their own rules for these situations when it's clearly illustrated in the GAA's own rules?

If Portaferry don't get the business done next week they'll be looking at the same back door we are, that full back line will be got at by Toner and Prenter."
Did Danny toner pick up a injury yesterday ?"]Quote function ropey as usual on Hoganstand...

Danny would have been doing well to pick up anything on Saturday as the surface was abysmal.

We never seem to learn along the line in Ballycran, yes the referee was ropey, but we gave away so many soft frees and kept the Ports in the game. Time to cut those out rather than shouting at the referee.

We'll get back to winning ways come Sunday in Ballygalget, but I can't see that poor Ballygalget team beating anyone other than Liatroim.

We'll meet the Ports in the final with a better surface to work on and we'll win by 5 plus.

Get to Toals now

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2358 - 02/09/2019 10:32:08    2231750

Link

Replying To bricktop:  "
Replying To Awaywiththeferrys:  "[quote=cranfanatic:  "[quote=Seannie Og:  "A quick note on the use of extra time. Having a flick through the GAA rules (as you do) and I saw that if a Championship is being played on a part league part knock-out basis then the league part is played as such with 2 points for a win and 1 point for a draw. How are the Down CB able to just make up their own rules for these situations when it's clearly illustrated in the GAA's own rules?

Did Danny toner pick up a injury yesterday ?"]Quote function ropey as usual on Hoganstand...

Danny would have been doing well to pick up anything on Saturday as the surface was abysmal.

We never seem to learn along the line in Ballycran, yes the referee was ropey, but we gave away so many soft frees and kept the Ports in the game. Time to cut those out rather than shouting at the referee.

We'll get back to winning ways come Sunday in Ballygalget, but I can't see that poor Ballygalget team beating anyone other than Liatroim.

We'll meet the Ports in the final with a better surface to work on and we'll win by 5 plus.

Get to Toals now"]I agree bricktop crans to many for ports ballygalget no pushover but . Ballycran / ballygalget final.

Therealnumer1 (Down) - Posts: 58 - 02/09/2019 13:11:57    2231861

Link