Dublin Forum

Dublin Club Championship '19

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

The lad is well thought off, you can see that with him being brought right in to the senior fold for training last year and then on the bench for the first fantastic four's game. Was reliably informed Fenton was carrying a bug all the week of the first game, hence POCB on the bench. Hes obviously highly regarded and down a bit of the way in his development working with the seniors for a year, shows the regard the lad is held in and that excites

Last year was the first id seen him at midfield, he played minor at 3 and in the full back line and i liked him in there, He took a year away to do his leaving cert, before coming back this year, i believe the AFL were also sniffing around before last year while he was at minor.

I think hes still learning at midfield, but the has some huge attributes in there as you say, hes a good baller, he has vision, execution oof play, great fielder and has massive physical attributes in that role, id hate to mark him. Id have a critique of him maybe not being as mobile as Fenton and get caught behind the play when it breaks quick, but in fairness to the lad that might be harsh as most of what i have seen from him was at 3 and last years U20 at midfield, where the teams were really high of a high standard and its a relatively new position for him.

Be interesting to see if and how he and fenton could end up as a pair and as i expect to see it in the league, maybe POCB could take up that anchor role Bastick used to have, but maybe thats unfair as i say the lad has offensive skills.

Conventional thinking is we have a bit of PTSD around our central channel due to the impact of Donegal in 14. I do wonder though, have we and do we over compensate now with that. When i look at the Fours, Mayo, Tyrone i dont see them hurting us thhroug the centre the way Donegal did. It has me thinking is there now a need for any midfield anchor or necessarily a sweeper like Cian and could and should we play now with a bit less of an anchor and sweeper at 6 and commit more? We are exceptional for work rate with the flood back and arguably we played without a sweeper in the latter stages of the championship this year, we have some great defenders who are great man markers.

I haven't quite made my up on it just yet and whether we are that good at the back or not, but now even the top teams like Tyrone, Mayo and the Fours are playing a blanket defense against us.

I still havent waived the white flag at Darren Gavin either, unlucky with injuries in the championship, i think there is a good player there, but i think he lacks a bit of confidence and belief, hopefully that comes and he kicks on and develops. He is a bit similar to Fenton though to really complement contrasting attributes and could be a bit harder in my opinion.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 3075 - 18/11/2019 14:01:21    2250155

Link

Replying To TheUsername:  "The lad is well thought off, you can see that with him being brought right in to the senior fold for training last year and then on the bench for the first fantastic four's game. Was reliably informed Fenton was carrying a bug all the week of the first game, hence POCB on the bench. Hes obviously highly regarded and down a bit of the way in his development working with the seniors for a year, shows the regard the lad is held in and that excites

Last year was the first id seen him at midfield, he played minor at 3 and in the full back line and i liked him in there, He took a year away to do his leaving cert, before coming back this year, i believe the AFL were also sniffing around before last year while he was at minor.

I think hes still learning at midfield, but the has some huge attributes in there as you say, hes a good baller, he has vision, execution oof play, great fielder and has massive physical attributes in that role, id hate to mark him. Id have a critique of him maybe not being as mobile as Fenton and get caught behind the play when it breaks quick, but in fairness to the lad that might be harsh as most of what i have seen from him was at 3 and last years U20 at midfield, where the teams were really high of a high standard and its a relatively new position for him.

Be interesting to see if and how he and fenton could end up as a pair and as i expect to see it in the league, maybe POCB could take up that anchor role Bastick used to have, but maybe thats unfair as i say the lad has offensive skills.

Conventional thinking is we have a bit of PTSD around our central channel due to the impact of Donegal in 14. I do wonder though, have we and do we over compensate now with that. When i look at the Fours, Mayo, Tyrone i dont see them hurting us thhroug the centre the way Donegal did. It has me thinking is there now a need for any midfield anchor or necessarily a sweeper like Cian and could and should we play now with a bit less of an anchor and sweeper at 6 and commit more? We are exceptional for work rate with the flood back and arguably we played without a sweeper in the latter stages of the championship this year, we have some great defenders who are great man markers.

I haven't quite made my up on it just yet and whether we are that good at the back or not, but now even the top teams like Tyrone, Mayo and the Fours are playing a blanket defense against us.

I still havent waived the white flag at Darren Gavin either, unlucky with injuries in the championship, i think there is a good player there, but i think he lacks a bit of confidence and belief, hopefully that comes and he kicks on and develops. He is a bit similar to Fenton though to really complement contrasting attributes and could be a bit harder in my opinion."
Darren Gavin is a top player, he is very young and will be back this year and hopefully injury free. He was very much part of Jims plans lastyear but the injury ruled him out. Not every player jumps into a senior setup like Howard. 2020 is a fresh start for all concerned!

FOB (Dublin) - Posts: 904 - 04/12/2019 10:31:03    2253120

Link

Replying To FOB:  "Darren Gavin is a top player, he is very young and will be back this year and hopefully injury free. He was very much part of Jims plans lastyear but the injury ruled him out. Not every player jumps into a senior setup like Howard. 2020 is a fresh start for all concerned!"
Definitely like him as a player, i remember him for the u 21 team in 17 and MOM performance in the final he was great. He has shown some great flashes at senior of a good and clever player, good mobility, good transition, the lad has skills and vision. Prone to a mistake, positioning errors and switching off, but these are all areas to develop and are very coachable and you would expect your fist year at senior. Hes definitely in their in the mix with Fenton, POCB, Jamesy, i suppose its a wait and see now with MDM.

Hard to know what faces will fit now that Jim is gone.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 3075 - 04/12/2019 10:50:05    2253126

Link