Kerry Forum

All Ireland Championship 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To 37sowhat:  "Are Tottenham Hotspur playing in that match as well?"
They are 37, and Arsenal are playing Chelsea in the Europa league final.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 8642 - 17/05/2019 18:49:39    2185028

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "They are 37, and Arsenal are playing Chelsea in the Europa league final."
Some of us will have to shout for a Tottenham the Kerry /Beaufort connection is strong. Paddy Breen who played with Kerry in the famous Croke memorial final 1913 proceeds of game went int the purchase of Jonses Rd now Croke Park was I am told a Tottenham player, he was also connected to the legendary Dr Eamonn O Sullivan But Ennis comes first The other game is very much secondary fare

37sowhat (Sligo) - Posts: 470 - 17/05/2019 21:52:33    2185070

Link

Replying To 37sowhat:  "Some of us will have to shout for a Tottenham the Kerry /Beaufort connection is strong. Paddy Breen who played with Kerry in the famous Croke memorial final 1913 proceeds of game went int the purchase of Jonses Rd now Croke Park was I am told a Tottenham player, he was also connected to the legendary Dr Eamonn O Sullivan But Ennis comes first The other game is very much secondary fare"
Nice bit of history there 37, fair play to you for that, did you know the great mick o'connell Played an exhibition game in wembley stadium once!

it'll be Ennis for me as well, can't wait, we'll have our first championship team named this day 2 weeks.

But if I can get to see some of the final il be happy with that as well.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 8642 - 18/05/2019 00:20:56    2185099

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Nice bit of history there 37, fair play to you for that, did you know the great mick o'connell Played an exhibition game in wembley stadium once!

it'll be Ennis for me as well, can't wait, we'll have our first championship team named this day 2 weeks.

But if I can get to see some of the final il be happy with that as well."
How did that came about KingdomBoy (Mick O'Connell playing the exhibition game) ? What age was he and who else was playing in that game. That sounds very interesting!

Kerry15 (Kerry) - Posts: 158 - 18/05/2019 15:18:14    2185219

Link

Replying To Kerry15:  "How did that came about KingdomBoy (Mick O'Connell playing the exhibition game) ? What age was he and who else was playing in that game. That sounds very interesting!"
Actually throughout the 1960s -70s there was an annual high profile GAA match played at Wembley, usually around Easter and you'd regularly have the All-Ireland winners and other major teams playing there. I think around 26 such matches were played there over that time.
In fact Kerry and Dublin played on that very ground in the annual Wembley tournament in 1976!

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 4437 - 18/05/2019 16:09:00    2185231

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Holidays.... it's fine for some. Hoping to take on the Clare game ideally it will be moved but knowing the Gas at Board level nothing surprises me.

Not much official talk from the Kerry camp just the usual pre,-season rumour mill.

Hermit you taking on the NK Division one final at weekend Ballydonoghue are taking on your native Senans?"
Well Horse, ah sure the old holidays doesn't a man has to travel - broadens the mind but it also empties the pockets!
Hate to be missing any of the Championship but hopefully will be back in one piece in time for a Munster final.

No won't be around this weekend, is it not Emmets, Ballydonoghue are playing tomorrow?

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 4437 - 18/05/2019 20:23:20    2185297

Link

Replying To Kerry15:  "How did that came about KingdomBoy (Mick O'Connell playing the exhibition game) ? What age was he and who else was playing in that game. That sounds very interesting!"
A bunch of us met him on the luas the day after the 2007 allireland kerry15 .

he was with his son Diarmuid and he saw us with alcohol and kebab stained jerseys looking worst for ware and more that a little hungover.

I gave him a salute and he came over and asked us what we thought of the final,
I said I enjoyed Stars goals and he said with a big grin that they were too easy and he shouldn't have taken them, so I asked him did he ever score a goal as easy and then he explained that he was playing an exhibition game in wembley stadium and he had gone in full forward when someone kicked the ball in the goalie came to catch the ball and missed it and the ball fell in to his hand and all he had to do was roll it in.

I asked did you take the goal he gave a little laugh and walked back to son.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 8642 - 18/05/2019 22:35:43    2185347

Link

Agree K'boy the old stick kerry are gentlemen to the manor born. I often met Nelligen, Paidi, Jack, Seamie, Bombe, Sheehy and Spillane etc and no aura or egotistical backgrounds no genuine gaa men that would mingle and reminisce about past matches and make time for the genuine punter. A great commodity in a person.

Being coldly brutal and to the point - will the Dubs be successful in the drive for 5? and if not who will stop them and be realistic don't let the heart rule the head.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 3835 - 19/05/2019 02:31:43    2185390

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Agree K'boy the old stick kerry are gentlemen to the manor born. I often met Nelligen, Paidi, Jack, Seamie, Bombe, Sheehy and Spillane etc and no aura or egotistical backgrounds no genuine gaa men that would mingle and reminisce about past matches and make time for the genuine punter. A great commodity in a person.

Being coldly brutal and to the point - will the Dubs be successful in the drive for 5? and if not who will stop them and be realistic don't let the heart rule the head."
They are all sound in fairness horse, the only one I met that I got a poor vibe from was Tadhg Kennelly.

Bomber presented us with medals at school one time and we were all in awe of how big he was.

Diarmuid Murphy is a great guy to talk to as well , he's very knowledgeable about football.

As for the Dubs, I'm just hoping that their hunger is gone and they'll be caught in the semifinal, if they get to the final I can't see them being allowed to lose.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 8642 - 19/05/2019 12:05:47    2185449

Link