Down Forum

Down Hurling League 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Crans came to port last night and won by 2 last night, crans reduced to 14 with about 10 to go and big skimpy got his marching orders. Ports could of rescued a draw if they took their points from frees if they didn't go for goals or drop it in. Looked like Ballycran had a panel of about 30 there last night be a right headache for the managers. Referee never played a single second of added time with all the injuries and the game was stopped for 2 players who suffered facials injuries, must of been in a rush to beat the traffic back to Belfast.

RedDog68 (Down) - Posts: 247 - 09/04/2019 06:00:49    2178136

Link

Ballela vs warrenpoint game last night called off in the middle of the second half. Surely it will have to be replayed not just left as a draw?

Waleonit (Down) - Posts: 27 - 21/05/2019 13:21:08    2186296

Link

I'm sure Paudiesull will not fear Portaferry next week after Portaferrys performance last night, if Sheehan had I'd punished them with his frees I'd say newry would of won by 6/7 points but all free takers can't have good days. Newry played great hurling and where unlucky not to leave with the 2 points.

RedDog68 (Down) - Posts: 247 - 02/07/2019 08:55:38    2204118

Link

Replying To RedDog68:  "I'm sure Paudiesull will not fear Portaferry next week after Portaferrys performance last night, if Sheehan had I'd punished them with his frees I'd say newry would of won by 6/7 points but all free takers can't have good days. Newry played great hurling and where unlucky not to leave with the 2 points."
Reddog I am sure you were at match that Young fella was newry best player I would say he scored all but 2 points for newry the difference between them and ports was the number 6 he was outstanding he is by far the best player in that league how hes not in first 13 is beyond me ports at there work again always working moves just look at the senior management tells you all.

Therealnumer1 (Down) - Posts: 99 - 02/07/2019 14:04:21    2204309

Link

Replying To Therealnumer1:  "Reddog I am sure you were at match that Young fella was newry best player I would say he scored all but 2 points for newry the difference between them and ports was the number 6 he was outstanding he is by far the best player in that league how hes not in first 13 is beyond me ports at there work again always working moves just look at the senior management tells you all."
Ha ha ha ha, your last number of posts are comical.

cahill (None) - Posts: 2566 - 02/07/2019 15:28:31    2204347

Link

Replying To Therealnumer1:  "Reddog I am sure you were at match that Young fella was newry best player I would say he scored all but 2 points for newry the difference between them and ports was the number 6 he was outstanding he is by far the best player in that league how hes not in first 13 is beyond me ports at there work again always working moves just look at the senior management tells you all."
He did play well but he normally converts those frees but it just didn't go his way and that is what happens to free takers at times. Number 6 is in England at university he's not long home why name a player when he needs the game time leading up to championship?

RedDog68 (Down) - Posts: 247 - 02/07/2019 22:25:23    2204645

Link

Championship opinions junior, intermediate and senior ?

Southdownhurling (Down) - Posts: 8 - 20/07/2019 20:47:24    2213677

Link

Replying To Southdownhurling:  "Championship opinions junior, intermediate and senior ?"
Senior; Ballycran
Intermediate; Bredagh
Junior; Ballela

nosides (Down) - Posts: 233 - 20/07/2019 22:29:58    2213746

Link

I would say :
Senior- Portaferry
Intermediate- Clonduff with a full team
Junior- Shamrocks as ballela are missing boys I hear and Warrenpoint could go far if they get boys back

Southdownhurling (Down) - Posts: 8 - 21/07/2019 04:43:03    2213827

Link

Clonduff great win tonight against strong shamrocks team tonight..... think that's 5 losses in a row for shamrocks

Southdownhurling (Down) - Posts: 8 - 22/07/2019 21:53:00    2214998

Link

Any truth to the rumours that Portaferry will be losing points for playing a player in the 2nds league who is named Senior?

cranfanatic (Down) - Posts: 88 - 22/07/2019 23:47:14    2215049

Link

Replying To Southdownhurling:  "Clonduff great win tonight against strong shamrocks team tonight..... think that's 5 losses in a row for shamrocks"
Strong shamrocks.....no Ryan Courtney, no Artie Mc Guinness, neither of the two Mees, no Stephen, no Odhran Mc Cafferey, no Billy Campbell ..... that's 6/7 starters missing .....fair play to Clonduff took their two 21 yd frees gifted to them by Ned in injury time to get two goals and the win....those are the breaks sometimes but with six starters missing and also 2/3 of the subs not sure I would say it's a strong Shamrocks but to be fair Clnduff missing lads too......

I wouldn't be worry too much about the losses as we haven't had close to full team yet but are losing all the games narrowly......we have lost three of those fve games by 3/4 points so nothing in any game we have played .......

PaudieSull1 (Down) - Posts: 726 - 23/07/2019 00:11:48    2215055

Link

Replying To cranfanatic:  "Any truth to the rumours that Portaferry will be losing points for playing a player in the 2nds league who is named Senior?"
Well I did warn people about the senior management they be up to anything. They r renowned for trying things that r against rules no respect.

Therealnumer1 (Down) - Posts: 99 - 23/07/2019 12:21:29    2215205

Link

Replying To Therealnumer1:  "Well I did warn people about the senior management they be up to anything. They r renowned for trying things that r against rules no respect."
Enlighten us wat they up number 1 but I'm sure if you check the crans players some not even in the country

ianog (Down) - Posts: 413 - 23/07/2019 16:17:37    2215328

Link

Replying To ianog:  "Enlighten us wat they up number 1 but I'm sure if you check the crans players some not even in the country"
This always a thorny issue and in this case seems to be a genuine mistake...one lad was meant to move up and the other down but never happened, player in question played against us and had an excellent game but the player he was meant to replace didn't play so no harm done and no one trying to pull a fast one.....my understanding is the exact same thing happened in this game but the other club objected.......

Unfortunate but very wrong to suggest someone was trying to pull a fast one ...... we all know the 12/24 named aren't always in country's etc but by and large it's fine and division 1 is a good competitive league for the standard it is......we struggle to get 15 at times so fair play to the three Ards clubs for getting 30+ hurlers a week a game

PaudieSull1 (Down) - Posts: 726 - 23/07/2019 17:37:45    2215367

Link

Could newry not field tonight against the poets or is there another reason it's off ?

Awaywiththeferrys (Down) - Posts: 143 - 25/07/2019 18:00:26    2216445

Link

Replying To PaudieSull1:  "Strong shamrocks.....no Ryan Courtney, no Artie Mc Guinness, neither of the two Mees, no Stephen, no Odhran Mc Cafferey, no Billy Campbell ..... that's 6/7 starters missing .....fair play to Clonduff took their two 21 yd frees gifted to them by Ned in injury time to get two goals and the win....those are the breaks sometimes but with six starters missing and also 2/3 of the subs not sure I would say it's a strong Shamrocks but to be fair Clnduff missing lads too......

I wouldn't be worry too much about the losses as we haven't had close to full team yet but are losing all the games narrowly......we have lost three of those fve games by 3/4 points so nothing in any game we have played ......."
I was told that matthew mee was playing against clonduff, I understand yous have players missing but I do believe clonduff are also missing a large amount of players a lot of them starting players also..... bit harsh to say the frees were gifted, when players make harsh tackles this is the result
of it...... putting near full team on the line anyway surly yous should have kept the two frees out

Southdownhurling (Down) - Posts: 8 - 26/07/2019 02:06:16    2216607

Link

Replying To Southdownhurling:  "I was told that matthew mee was playing against clonduff, I understand yous have players missing but I do believe clonduff are also missing a large amount of players a lot of them starting players also..... bit harsh to say the frees were gifted, when players make harsh tackles this is the result
of it...... putting near full team on the line anyway surly yous should have kept the two frees out"
All this if buts and maybes nonsense about players there or not the fact is the Yellas did the job in Newcastle last year again Shamrocks when it mattered and the way the Point are improving I wouldn't rule out another so called 'shock' defeat for the pick of south Down and Killeavey in this year's JHC.

SouthCounty (Down) - Posts: 33 - 26/07/2019 10:06:16    2216666

Link

Replying To SouthCounty:  "All this if buts and maybes nonsense about players there or not the fact is the Yellas did the job in Newcastle last year again Shamrocks when it mattered and the way the Point are improving I wouldn't rule out another so called 'shock' defeat for the pick of south Down and Killeavey in this year's JHC."
I understand where your coming from just every time shamrocks are beaten there is always an excuse referees fault or players missing...... I strongly agree with you about warrenpoint great team and should do the job if they don't get shamrocks first game

Southdownhurling (Down) - Posts: 8 - 26/07/2019 12:10:11    2216716

Link

Replying To Southdownhurling:  "I understand where your coming from just every time shamrocks are beaten there is always an excuse referees fault or players missing...... I strongly agree with you about warrenpoint great team and should do the job if they don't get shamrocks first game"
100% right about Shamrocks, the bottom line is they don't have the B*lls when it comes to the crunch, some 'nice on the eye' hurlers but gutless in the midst of battle.

As far as I can see Clonduff were missing 13 starters from their Championship winning team and pulled off a remarkable win, effectively ensuring their safety in Div 1. The way they are playing the Intermediate Championship is def a 3 horse race. Going to be interesting anyway.

facegaurds (Antrim) - Posts: 4 - 27/07/2019 14:45:46    2217103

Link