Clare Forum

Clare Hurlers 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Clareman:  "Clare did well for most parts. As Turnbull said in his interview it wasn't a 9 point game. He is a real talent but I think their wing forward in the yellow helmet was also impressive as he wont ball and scored. Cork seniors lack that type of player. They are 5 or 6 serious players who can step up to senior. They should beat Tipp.

For Clare, Aidan McCathy was good, especially when he went into the half back line. Diarmuid Ryan got 4 points, but was not in the game a lot after a bad accidental belt early on. He is a leader though and I think will have a great career for Clare.

Rodgers showed glimpses of his class, Considine as well but Cooney was quiet and Horner never got into it at all.

McMahon, White and Maloney all fought hard. I felt sorry for young Casey, never played IC level before and spent 40 mins chasing Turnbull. Poor mgmt not to move him."
I taught they did well also. I think Rodgers and Cooney in the corners with a big full 4ward would of worked better but not sure if they have anyone. Aiden McCarthy is gonna be some player, very strong in the challenge and always looking for the ball, some poor decision making but that will come to him. Taught the full back was very good in the 2nd half, very aggressive and well able to catch a ball. The importance of a good free taker was really underlined in that game.

Dec82 (Clare) - Posts: 147 - 11/07/2019 11:52:06    2209422

Link

Replying To Dec82:  "I taught they did well also. I think Rodgers and Cooney in the corners with a big full 4ward would of worked better but not sure if they have anyone. Aiden McCarthy is gonna be some player, very strong in the challenge and always looking for the ball, some poor decision making but that will come to him. Taught the full back was very good in the 2nd half, very aggressive and well able to catch a ball. The importance of a good free taker was really underlined in that game."
Cork kind of kept us in it with been wasteful our tackling coughed up a lot of frees Moloney at full back did ok good on couple of high balls he should be he is so tall Aidan McCarthy is a good hurler poor distribution and gave a fair few frees away though.

Hurling now has become so physical Cooney tried hard but appears very small and light in comparsion with the Cork boys made no headway against strong backs.

Cork/Tipperary well ahead of rest of Munster

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 418 - 11/07/2019 14:07:42    2209507

Link

I think we did well for large periods of the game, being down by just one point after 29 minutes - i was pretty happy with where we were at. but then cork got 3 points before half time which made a big difference. then again on 40 mins we were back to 2 at 14 12, again pretty happy with the position we were in, but then turnbull got a great point and cork tacked on a few more. we did well to close it back to 4 on 59/60 mins and with 6 min injury time we still had a chance. but then cork finished so impressively with the last 5 points. we only score 3 point though in the last 25 mins which was disappointing.
cork's full forward got 3 of their last 5 points, interesting style of hurler in that he switches hands a la aidan fogarty.
number 8 was also impressive, as was turnbull. but as clareman pointed out no.10 twomey was very impressive, great ability to win his own ball in the air and also score as well as laying it off on a number of occasions. he was the reason we had to place mccarthy at wing back in the second half.
cork already have a seriously impressive array of forwards at senior level and there are 3 of 4 more serious options for them here over the coming years.

as for clare overall i was reasonably please as i thought we were in for a very tough game, but we fought well and it definitely wasnt a 9 point game 4/5 would have been a fairer reflection.

Mccarthy and ryan showed that they will be mainstays of the senior side for years to come, even though neither were at their best. rodgers i think if we could have gotten more quality ball into him looked dangerous at times.

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1796 - 12/07/2019 11:10:43    2209870

Link

Replying To hurlingexpert:  "I think we did well for large periods of the game, being down by just one point after 29 minutes - i was pretty happy with where we were at. but then cork got 3 points before half time which made a big difference. then again on 40 mins we were back to 2 at 14 12, again pretty happy with the position we were in, but then turnbull got a great point and cork tacked on a few more. we did well to close it back to 4 on 59/60 mins and with 6 min injury time we still had a chance. but then cork finished so impressively with the last 5 points. we only score 3 point though in the last 25 mins which was disappointing.
cork's full forward got 3 of their last 5 points, interesting style of hurler in that he switches hands a la aidan fogarty.
number 8 was also impressive, as was turnbull. but as clareman pointed out no.10 twomey was very impressive, great ability to win his own ball in the air and also score as well as laying it off on a number of occasions. he was the reason we had to place mccarthy at wing back in the second half.
cork already have a seriously impressive array of forwards at senior level and there are 3 of 4 more serious options for them here over the coming years.

as for clare overall i was reasonably please as i thought we were in for a very tough game, but we fought well and it definitely wasnt a 9 point game 4/5 would have been a fairer reflection.

Mccarthy and ryan showed that they will be mainstays of the senior side for years to come, even though neither were at their best. rodgers i think if we could have gotten more quality ball into him looked dangerous at times."
MCarthy has a lot to improve if he is going to be a mainstay of the senior squad as you out it. Lots of ball but very poor deliveries.

This can be worked on but I wouldnt have him as a playmaker.

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1980 - 15/07/2019 09:53:09    2211188

Link

I saw a lot of senior club championship games last year including a few involving mccarthy. he was positioned at wing forward and was excellent in the air winning numerous puckouts with clean catches. i think he could be a real viable option for us at wing forward next year as he has the potential to develop into a quality ball winner at that level.

although in saying that i think either himself of diarmuid ryan need to be position in the half backline next year. i think id probably go with ryan wing back and mccarthy wing forward for 2020. ultimately though a few year down the line they may both end up in the half backline.

i think we need to find a way of releasing mcinerney from full back - onto the wing. i would try cleary full back again, i think the position suits his attributes.

Plus, the game has changed now - i think we need a more natural ball striker at 6. look at the likes of hannon, paudie maher, padraig walsh, sean moran, mannion even moving to 6 more this year for galway. all really good ball players. cleary can be a very effective player for us, but i dont think he is a real natural hurler (similar to gearoid mcinerney) which we need at 6. that's why i think that shanahan could be the player for us there depending on him recovering from injury obviously.

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1796 - 16/07/2019 13:02:09    2211836

Link

Replying To hurlingexpert:  "I saw a lot of senior club championship games last year including a few involving mccarthy. he was positioned at wing forward and was excellent in the air winning numerous puckouts with clean catches. i think he could be a real viable option for us at wing forward next year as he has the potential to develop into a quality ball winner at that level.

although in saying that i think either himself of diarmuid ryan need to be position in the half backline next year. i think id probably go with ryan wing back and mccarthy wing forward for 2020. ultimately though a few year down the line they may both end up in the half backline.

i think we need to find a way of releasing mcinerney from full back - onto the wing. i would try cleary full back again, i think the position suits his attributes.

Plus, the game has changed now - i think we need a more natural ball striker at 6. look at the likes of hannon, paudie maher, padraig walsh, sean moran, mannion even moving to 6 more this year for galway. all really good ball players. cleary can be a very effective player for us, but i dont think he is a real natural hurler (similar to gearoid mcinerney) which we need at 6. that's why i think that shanahan could be the player for us there depending on him recovering from injury obviously."
i would agree with you on Shanahan at 6. He played there a lot underage and his deliveries from wing back last year were very good. However, he needs to get over the injuries and become more consistent.

Diarmuid Ryan I think should be midfield, I think he is a more powerful and athletic alternative to Shane Golden and he scores more. Dont get me wrong, Golden is a decent player and had a good year overall but decent wont cut it if we want to get up to Limerick's level. They are the top team at the moment.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 956 - 16/07/2019 16:16:34    2211940

Link

Replying To Clareman:  "i would agree with you on Shanahan at 6. He played there a lot underage and his deliveries from wing back last year were very good. However, he needs to get over the injuries and become more consistent.

Diarmuid Ryan I think should be midfield, I think he is a more powerful and athletic alternative to Shane Golden and he scores more. Dont get me wrong, Golden is a decent player and had a good year overall but decent wont cut it if we want to get up to Limerick's level. They are the top team at the moment."
I doubt Ryan is more athletic than Golden. Golden was an actual underage track athlete. I understand your point though. The issue with Clare is the numbers. There arent half enough players coming through. I'd be disappointed with the Mccarthys and equally disappointed with the senior managements failure to integrate more fresh faces into the starting team.

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1105 - 19/07/2019 08:09:21    2213026

Link

Replying To bloodyban:  "I doubt Ryan is more athletic than Golden. Golden was an actual underage track athlete. I understand your point though. The issue with Clare is the numbers. There arent half enough players coming through. I'd be disappointed with the Mccarthys and equally disappointed with the senior managements failure to integrate more fresh faces into the starting team."
Jason has been a disappointment but Aidan i think has shown more. Sorry I didnt meant to denigrate Golden, I know he is a fine athlete but in terms of hurling athleticism I think Diarmuid is better plus he seems to be able to burst into games at moments. He needs to be more consistent.

Our lack of good defenders, esp in the full back line coming through is a big worry, and the constant use of a sweeper only makes lads less able to defend properly.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 956 - 19/07/2019 10:50:20    2213080

Link

Replying To Clareman:  "i would agree with you on Shanahan at 6. He played there a lot underage and his deliveries from wing back last year were very good. However, he needs to get over the injuries and become more consistent.

Diarmuid Ryan I think should be midfield, I think he is a more powerful and athletic alternative to Shane Golden and he scores more. Dont get me wrong, Golden is a decent player and had a good year overall but decent wont cut it if we want to get up to Limerick's level. They are the top team at the moment."
Hurling is all about winning possession. Someone of Ryan's stature would be wasted in midfield. He needs to be where the high balls have to be won. Also am I the only one who rates Jason Mac was it a coincidence that in Clare's best game this year i.e. Cork match he started. Think he is aggressive and strong and that's a good combination

welpastit (Limerick) - Posts: 664 - 19/07/2019 11:58:11    2213112

Link

Replying To welpastit:  "Hurling is all about winning possession. Someone of Ryan's stature would be wasted in midfield. He needs to be where the high balls have to be won. Also am I the only one who rates Jason Mac was it a coincidence that in Clare's best game this year i.e. Cork match he started. Think he is aggressive and strong and that's a good combination"
Hurling is all about winning possession. Someone of Ryan's stature would be wasted in midfield. He needs to be where the high balls have to be won. Also am I the only one who rates Jason Mac was it a coincidence that in Clare's best game this year i.e. Cork match he started. Think he is aggressive and strong and that's a good combination
welpastit (Limerick) - Posts: 663 - 19/07/2019 11:58:11 2213112

Good point midfield not as important as it was 20 + years ago but still need a player with a super engine like D Fitzgibbons or C lynch especially now with all the traffic in the so called middle third.

I dont envy the Clare team management the task of finding 5-6 new squad members to add to panel but thats what must happen because unless some new players perhaps like Mark Rodgers or the McCarthys oand we find a couple of defenders each year we will be trotting out same analysis

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 418 - 19/07/2019 12:40:14    2213131

Link

Replying To clooney:  "Hurling is all about winning possession. Someone of Ryan's stature would be wasted in midfield. He needs to be where the high balls have to be won. Also am I the only one who rates Jason Mac was it a coincidence that in Clare's best game this year i.e. Cork match he started. Think he is aggressive and strong and that's a good combination
welpastit (Limerick) - Posts: 663 - 19/07/2019 11:58:11 2213112

Good point midfield not as important as it was 20 + years ago but still need a player with a super engine like D Fitzgibbons or C lynch especially now with all the traffic in the so called middle third.

I dont envy the Clare team management the task of finding 5-6 new squad members to add to panel but thats what must happen because unless some new players perhaps like Mark Rodgers or the McCarthys oand we find a couple of defenders each year we will be trotting out same analysis"
its not speed or an engine that makes cian lynch a real top midfielder it's how easy he can hurl in confined spaces pure class and can see a pass that noone else would see. and thats what you need now as that section between both 65's now can get so condensed with players.

munsterchamps (Limerick) - Posts: 787 - 19/07/2019 13:02:48    2213142

Link

Replying To munsterchamps:  "its not speed or an engine that makes cian lynch a real top midfielder it's how easy he can hurl in confined spaces pure class and can see a pass that noone else would see. and thats what you need now as that section between both 65's now can get so condensed with players."
Fair point and Lynch is top hurler but its condensed because every team now floods that area. I would someone tries to come up with a new way of playing, make it more open move the ball faster. A lot of the skills of the game like ground hurling, striking overhead are dying away.

I was at a club game 2 weeks ago, a fella got beaten to the first 2 balls in the air by this marker who was taller. He then pulled over head on the next ball, lovely clean strike and the ref blew for a free! Crazy stuff. Im only in my 30s in case ye are thinking im so auld lad being cranky!

If we are not careful, hurling will become a game for 6ft plus lads who are created in gyms.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 956 - 19/07/2019 13:39:44    2213157

Link

Replying To Clareman:  "Fair point and Lynch is top hurler but its condensed because every team now floods that area. I would someone tries to come up with a new way of playing, make it more open move the ball faster. A lot of the skills of the game like ground hurling, striking overhead are dying away.

I was at a club game 2 weeks ago, a fella got beaten to the first 2 balls in the air by this marker who was taller. He then pulled over head on the next ball, lovely clean strike and the ref blew for a free! Crazy stuff. Im only in my 30s in case ye are thinking im so auld lad being cranky!

If we are not careful, hurling will become a game for 6ft plus lads who are created in gyms."
Hurling already is about players who are created in gyms. If they are 6ft plus then so much the better. That's the result of these academy's. Limericks half forward line are a real case in point

welpastit (Limerick) - Posts: 664 - 19/07/2019 14:15:33    2213178

Link

Replying To Clareman:  "Fair point and Lynch is top hurler but its condensed because every team now floods that area. I would someone tries to come up with a new way of playing, make it more open move the ball faster. A lot of the skills of the game like ground hurling, striking overhead are dying away.

If we are not careful, hurling will become a game for 6ft plus lads who are created in gyms."
Couldent agree more with you I was at a match last week corner back pulled on dropping ball it was older men in the crown going mad yelling at corner forward to timber next time and this was from supporters of a club that produced a fair few hatched men in their day,it wasent even a free and referee dident even blow

We are getting conditioned to this almost non contact sport now if Brian Lohan Or the Rock were around now they probably would not get selected second day light sliother fussy refereeing we have to be correct in all aspects of life

Hurling is nearly becoming as boring as gaelic football its all possession if you are passed a ball and drop it before you can draw your breath you are surrounded now a days.

More skill today and fitness without a doubt but for me the 90s were absolutely great you has Clare/Offaly/ Limerick/Galway as well as the big 3 all at top of their game.

Goalies will have to find a way of hitting their half backs to put ball over the conjested middle as the half forwards are tracking back to double up on the opposition half forward lines the dreaded MIDDLE THIRD

I came across a session being done by Martin Fogarthy some time ago a Clare u 16 or u15 cant recall he was doing ground hurling drill hardly anyone could do it its not coached anymore because unless a ball is on 14 metre line there is no point in pulling as spare man sweeper whatever will pick it up POSSESSION GAME
the overhead pull is well gone

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 418 - 19/07/2019 16:52:24    2213233

Link

Replying To welpastit:  "Hurling already is about players who are created in gyms. If they are 6ft plus then so much the better. That's the result of these academy's. Limericks half forward line are a real case in point"
There's still a place for the small man, look at Mike Casey in last years final, Glynn won nothing. That was down to good coaching. David Fitzgerald is over 6 foot and isnt great in the air. Colin Ryan wasn't great in the air but he was great at breaking the ball down.
I agree with alot of what is being said but good coaching solves alot of these problems. Look at Mayos defence when Donie Buckley was there, they had the best defence in the country. Different code i know but just an obvious example.

Dec82 (Clare) - Posts: 147 - 19/07/2019 17:58:52    2213247

Link