Derry Forum

The Big Question - Support Or Lack Of

(Oldest Posts First)

Today our county played in a National Final in GAA HQ and won. Everyone you meet in GAA circles will tell you that 'Derry is a proud GAA county'. Thus may be true. However, the support at Croke Park today was somewhat embarrassing. In all my life attending finals at Croke Oark I have never witnessed such a subdued celebration. My heart went out to the players and staff. It felt like we were embarrassed to celebrate.

The least we as supporters can do is show our appreciation to the players, management etc on their achievement. However, I am really angered by the lack of support. I know people have their own personal reasons as to why they couldn't be there or simply put others just don't give a damn about the county.

We are the worst supported county in Ireland an accolade bestowed on us for years now. Yes, you can sit back and criticise or you can get off your backside and support the team. No one wants to see Derry playing in the lower leagues of the NFL but we are. We have to earn our right to be playing at a higher level and we achieved objective 1 by getting promoted and winning the Div 4 title. Now to me this is progress. However, if we as supporters show up in large numbers at matches it will resonate with the players as they will see that their efforts are being appreciated.

Slaughtneil got a bigger supporter turnout at their Ulster club and All Ireland clubs finals than the county gets over a season. I am not knocking Slaughtneil in anyway as they have done wonders for club and county. So, why are those supporters who are not directly affiliated to Slaughtneil but go to their games not turning up to support their county?

I'll finish by saying 'thank you' to the hardcore supporters who attend today and who followed the county throughout their league campaign.

We will enjoy the glory days when they return and I have no doubt about that.

OakGael (Derry) - Posts: 293 - 31/03/2019 02:09:20    2176553

Link

Replying To OakGael:  "Today our county played in a National Final in GAA HQ and won. Everyone you meet in GAA circles will tell you that 'Derry is a proud GAA county'. Thus may be true. However, the support at Croke Park today was somewhat embarrassing. In all my life attending finals at Croke Oark I have never witnessed such a subdued celebration. My heart went out to the players and staff. It felt like we were embarrassed to celebrate.

The least we as supporters can do is show our appreciation to the players, management etc on their achievement. However, I am really angered by the lack of support. I know people have their own personal reasons as to why they couldn't be there or simply put others just don't give a damn about the county.

We are the worst supported county in Ireland an accolade bestowed on us for years now. Yes, you can sit back and criticise or you can get off your backside and support the team. No one wants to see Derry playing in the lower leagues of the NFL but we are. We have to earn our right to be playing at a higher level and we achieved objective 1 by getting promoted and winning the Div 4 title. Now to me this is progress. However, if we as supporters show up in large numbers at matches it will resonate with the players as they will see that their efforts are being appreciated.

Slaughtneil got a bigger supporter turnout at their Ulster club and All Ireland clubs finals than the county gets over a season. I am not knocking Slaughtneil in anyway as they have done wonders for club and county. So, why are those supporters who are not directly affiliated to Slaughtneil but go to their games not turning up to support their county?

I'll finish by saying 'thank you' to the hardcore supporters who attend today and who followed the county throughout their league campaign.

We will enjoy the glory days when they return and I have no doubt about that."
i have to say oak i agree wholeheartedly - it was a credit to the Derry players today to win with such paltry support - i was in the cusack lower and i was surrounded by thousands of passionate Leitrim fans who definitely were like a 16th man i would honestly say in the whole ground there wasnt more than 200 Derry Supporters - absolutely embarrassing to say the least

doirebhoy (Derry) - Posts: 344 - 01/04/2019 09:37:26    2176878

Link

Replying To OakGael:  "Today our county played in a National Final in GAA HQ and won. Everyone you meet in GAA circles will tell you that 'Derry is a proud GAA county'. Thus may be true. However, the support at Croke Park today was somewhat embarrassing. In all my life attending finals at Croke Oark I have never witnessed such a subdued celebration. My heart went out to the players and staff. It felt like we were embarrassed to celebrate.

We will enjoy the glory days when they return and I have no doubt about that."
OakGael how close to your Championship team was the team that won the Division 4 title. Would there be any players to come into that team come championship.

TyroneUltra (Tyrone) - Posts: 298 - 01/04/2019 21:02:10    2177093

Link

Replying To TyroneUltra:  "OakGael how close to your Championship team was the team that won the Division 4 title. Would there be any players to come into that team come championship."
Joe Brolly will be starting in Omagh, as well as managing and coaching the team. Scullion, McKeever, Tohill and McGilligan will be starting as well. You have been warned! Hopefully, Tyrone will be starting with their 1993 team as well (apart from Canavan), so it should be a feast of beautiful football and a surefire Derry win.

doiregael2 (Derry) - Posts: 334 - 01/04/2019 23:45:40    2177153

Link

Used to go to all the football and hurling, but got put off by football fraternities attempts to strangle hurling so don't go to football anymore.

christy sting (Derry) - Posts: 246 - 02/04/2019 00:37:00    2177158

Link

Replying To christy sting:  "Used to go to all the football and hurling, but got put off by football fraternities attempts to strangle hurling so don't go to football anymore."
That'll help. Good man

oakleaflad (Derry) - Posts: 40 - 02/04/2019 12:47:15    2177240

Link

As a Leitrim fan in Croke Park on Saturday i must admit i was astounded by the lack of support for Derry in the ground. I know some of your support has become disillusioned over the past number of years but i didn't realise just how bad this was. As the opening poster said it was a national final. Granted a Division 4 final but for us it meant an awful lot. Maybe the GAA community of Derry just are not bothered by such a lowly title? We have had our fair share of dark days and hammerings along the way but i guess we do not have the titles that Derry somewhat became accustomed to down through the years.

You guys are on the way back up and fair play to you. Hopefully the support starts to return too.

One final point is fair play to Chrissy McKaigue for his fine words about the Leitrim team and our fans. thought it was a real lovely touch by the man.

Congrats on being crowned league champions on Saturday and the very best of luck in the Championship. We look forward to welcoming you to Carrick next year for our Div 3 tussle.

juande_ramos (Leitrim) - Posts: 40 - 02/04/2019 13:02:04    2177252

Link

Replying To TyroneUltra:  "OakGael how close to your Championship team was the team that won the Division 4 title. Would there be any players to come into that team come championship."
That team on sat will be near enough to what will take the field against Tyrone IMHO - Ciaran McFaul to come in if he is fit - this used to be a fixture that got the pulse racing and the hairs standing on the back of the neck - Alas not any more - Div 1 V Div 4 - nuff said

doirebhoy (Derry) - Posts: 344 - 02/04/2019 15:10:01    2177300

Link

doirebhoy, Derry won the Divison 4 title in second gear, no offence to Leitrim who played well. Derry have a wealth of young talent coming through, hopefully you's bring a good support up to Omagh. Healy Park was rocking last year in the super 8's against Dublin.

TyroneUltra (Tyrone) - Posts: 298 - 03/04/2019 13:04:23    2177475

Link

Replying To juande_ramos:  "As a Leitrim fan in Croke Park on Saturday i must admit i was astounded by the lack of support for Derry in the ground. I know some of your support has become disillusioned over the past number of years but i didn't realise just how bad this was. As the opening poster said it was a national final. Granted a Division 4 final but for us it meant an awful lot. Maybe the GAA community of Derry just are not bothered by such a lowly title? We have had our fair share of dark days and hammerings along the way but i guess we do not have the titles that Derry somewhat became accustomed to down through the years.

You guys are on the way back up and fair play to you. Hopefully the support starts to return too.

One final point is fair play to Chrissy McKaigue for his fine words about the Leitrim team and our fans. thought it was a real lovely touch by the man.

Congrats on being crowned league champions on Saturday and the very best of luck in the Championship. We look forward to welcoming you to Carrick next year for our Div 3 tussle."
Chrissy McKaigue is a class act - a great footballer but also impressively grounded, intelligent and respectful. For the few Derry supporters in Croke Park on Saturday, it was important that we won, to follow on from what has been a season of knuckling down, working hard and losing the attitude of being 'too good' to be in this or that division, an attitude which eventually led to being in Division 4. The Leitrim support made the day for me with their attitude of coming to enjoy the big day - sure, if you can't enjoy it, what's the point? - and their team did them proud, fighting until the end after looking like they might be heading for a bad beating in the second half. Conversely, our boys were impressive in weathering the early storm and proceeding to control the game. Both teams are young and improving and from what I have seen of Leitrim this year, anyone who underestimates them in Connacht will get beaten.

doiregael2 (Derry) - Posts: 334 - 04/04/2019 00:34:05    2177612

Link

Replying To TyroneUltra:  "doirebhoy, Derry won the Divison 4 title in second gear, no offence to Leitrim who played well. Derry have a wealth of young talent coming through, hopefully you's bring a good support up to Omagh. Healy Park was rocking last year in the super 8's against Dublin."
Very unfair and inaccurate comment about Derry victory. Leitrim should have won this game Derry did because their experience and the seven Slaughneill players made the difference. Leitrim kicked this game away registering 14 wides - 9 in the first half yet managed to score 16 points by 10 of our team on a first outing in Croker.It may sound like sour grapes but many Leitrim supporters think our performance has been underplayed. Despite your strong tradition and your recent success at underage level Derry still only won this game against us by four points and any neutral observer will agree that we were in it to the end. All of us in Leitrim appreciated the gracious post match comments by your excellent Captain Christy McKaigue. We may have lost but we are not unbowed as this Leitrim team is our best in over a decade and we look forward to meeting Derry again for the rematch.Finally I hope you get out of '"second gear" against Tyrone.

leitrimabu1 (Leitrim) - Posts: 64 - 08/04/2019 20:50:00    2178099

Link

Replying To leitrimabu1:  "Very unfair and inaccurate comment about Derry victory. Leitrim should have won this game Derry did because their experience and the seven Slaughneill players made the difference. Leitrim kicked this game away registering 14 wides - 9 in the first half yet managed to score 16 points by 10 of our team on a first outing in Croker.It may sound like sour grapes but many Leitrim supporters think our performance has been underplayed. Despite your strong tradition and your recent success at underage level Derry still only won this game against us by four points and any neutral observer will agree that we were in it to the end. All of us in Leitrim appreciated the gracious post match comments by your excellent Captain Christy McKaigue. We may have lost but we are not unbowed as this Leitrim team is our best in over a decade and we look forward to meeting Derry again for the rematch.Finally I hope you get out of '"second gear" against Tyrone."
It was a Tyrone poster you replied to, not a Derry one.

oakleaflad (Derry) - Posts: 40 - 09/04/2019 10:55:04    2178176

Link

I have mentioned this before but I think we live in a strange county, we aren't a united people, we even have 4 different accents in the county, can any other county say that? I think maybe it is because I live on the borders of Antrim and Tyrone so I work/shop in those areas so much so that I don't feel any passion for the county, maybe people who live around Dungiven feel differently. I haven't been to a game since 2013, I think it feels differently when the players are younger than you, you don't look up to them now, I even remember some of them at school, why would I want to go watch players who I remember seeing in the school corridors? That's my take on it but I'm sure my opinion is rare.

PattyONeill (Derry) - Posts: 44 - 26/07/2019 22:14:17    2216942

Link

Replying To PattyONeill:  "I have mentioned this before but I think we live in a strange county, we aren't a united people, we even have 4 different accents in the county, can any other county say that? I think maybe it is because I live on the borders of Antrim and Tyrone so I work/shop in those areas so much so that I don't feel any passion for the county, maybe people who live around Dungiven feel differently. I haven't been to a game since 2013, I think it feels differently when the players are younger than you, you don't look up to them now, I even remember some of them at school, why would I want to go watch players who I remember seeing in the school corridors? That's my take on it but I'm sure my opinion is rare."
Just like before a point that doesn't make much sense. Every county has 3 or 4 neighbouring counties with close connections with their neighbours. People should have a bit of pride in their county and where they're from. The early 90s brought people together becuase of success. Unfortunately the people who have been in charge in our county have been more interested in nice buildings and plush suites to hold meetings. Counties around the country and some of neighbours have focused on where it matters.

RoverTin (Derry) - Posts: 207 - 03/08/2019 15:27:38    2220085

Link

Ogra Colmcille GAC have disbanded ! A rural club that has seen its people drift to the towns a community lost. How does this equate to the Sean Dolans an Urban catchment area of tens of thousands, that have abandoned building a new full-sized flood-lit pitch in favour of building houses on land given to them for free to promote our gaelic culture ? Big queations to be asked of this Derry County Board ?

IssacBall (Derry) - Posts: 21 - 10/08/2019 16:31:04    2223417

Link