Leitrim Forum

Macdiarmiada Gaels

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Shannonview:  "Gortlettragh is the largest parish in county!!
I would think Melvin Gaels is the largest parish geographical.
From Tullaghan to glenade/ manorhamilton border approximately 12 miles.
From Tullaghan to Rossinver approximately 15 miles.
From Tullaghan to Ballintrillick in Sligo which is also in parish Approximately 10/12 miles.
And from Glenade to the Bundoran parish approximately 12 miles.
And from Ballintrillick to Rossinver approx 18 miles.
These are all in different directions.
Make that up and I would think Melvin Gaels is the biggest"
Being a south Leitrim man I stand to be corrected but i believe that Melvin Gaels isn't a parish but rather a football club over a few parishes. North Leitrim seems to differ to South Leitrim football club wise, whereby the vast majority of football clubs in South Leitrim are assigned to particular parishes i.e. annaduff, cloone, carrigallen bornacoola, fenagh etc.. etc.. 90% of cases the name of parish and parish bounderies is that of the football club. Exceptions - aughawillian are a part of drumreilly lower parish, allen gaels are Murhaun parish. Some parishes have two clubs - Kiltoghert parish have two clubs - St. Marys and Leitrim gaels, mohill parish two clubs- Mohill and Eslin, Oughteragh parish have two clubs - Sean O'Heslins and aughnasheelin.

No parish in North Leitrim matches that of a football club, drumkeerin is Inishmacgrath parish, dromahair pull from killenummery and kilargue parish as does glencar manor, manor pull from rossinver parish but so too does melvin gaels. Glenfarne kilty- rossinver and cloonclare parish, Glencar manor- kilasnett and clooneclare parishes. Its not a dig at North Leitrim I just dont understand the boundaries between teams there, it seems like a lot of grey areas we dont have down south. It probably makes perfect sense to people used to it though. Certainly in south Leitrim things seems to follow a definative boundary.

I would say that inishmacgrath, Clooneclare or kilasnett in North Leitrim is the biggest parish in the county. Gortlettragh probably the biggest parish to one football club

leitrim4sam (Leitrim) - Posts: 418 - 26/02/2019 11:40:19    2168295

Link

I hang my head in shame and acknowledge you noting my error.
I will rephrase it by saying " largest catchment area"
Again I humbly apologize for my error

Up LEITRIM

Shannonview (Leitrim) - Posts: 16 - 26/02/2019 11:54:01    2168304

Link

Replying To leitrim4sam:  "Being a south Leitrim man I stand to be corrected but i believe that Melvin Gaels isn't a parish but rather a football club over a few parishes. North Leitrim seems to differ to South Leitrim football club wise, whereby the vast majority of football clubs in South Leitrim are assigned to particular parishes i.e. annaduff, cloone, carrigallen bornacoola, fenagh etc.. etc.. 90% of cases the name of parish and parish bounderies is that of the football club. Exceptions - aughawillian are a part of drumreilly lower parish, allen gaels are Murhaun parish. Some parishes have two clubs - Kiltoghert parish have two clubs - St. Marys and Leitrim gaels, mohill parish two clubs- Mohill and Eslin, Oughteragh parish have two clubs - Sean O'Heslins and aughnasheelin.

No parish in North Leitrim matches that of a football club, drumkeerin is Inishmacgrath parish, dromahair pull from killenummery and kilargue parish as does glencar manor, manor pull from rossinver parish but so too does melvin gaels. Glenfarne kilty- rossinver and cloonclare parish, Glencar manor- kilasnett and clooneclare parishes. Its not a dig at North Leitrim I just dont understand the boundaries between teams there, it seems like a lot of grey areas we dont have down south. It probably makes perfect sense to people used to it though. Certainly in south Leitrim things seems to follow a definative boundary.

I would say that inishmacgrath, Clooneclare or kilasnett in North Leitrim is the biggest parish in the county. Gortlettragh probably the biggest parish to one football club"
Just after checking some info. Kinlough/Glenade the parish that
Melvin Gaels operates in is 82sq km
Same pretty large.
In your estimation do you think gortletteragh is bigger.

Shannonview (Leitrim) - Posts: 16 - 26/02/2019 14:08:50    2168358

Link

Also as a point of interest the Kinlough/Glenade parish covers parts of Leitrim, Ballintrillick co Sligo, and southern parts of Ballyshannon co Donegal.
It is a region where the three counties meet!!

Shannonview (Leitrim) - Posts: 16 - 26/02/2019 14:37:09    2168371

Link

Replying To Shannonview:  "Just after checking some info. Kinlough/Glenade the parish that
Same pretty large.
In your estimation do you think gortletteragh is bigger."
It is with the utmost regret I note the inaccuracies on my period post.
When I was making my calculation i regretfully omitted/forgotten (senior moment) the Ballyshannon part of my parish.
Please forgive me as the quantity of my years are increasing at a rapidly fast rate. One positive is that my years are still only in double digits!!
On my recalculation I find the Kinlough/Glenade parish is actually 128 sq km.
Just wondering if it is the biggest parish in this great county
Note this is not a competition .
i am asking this solely for information purposes for an item off mine a similar colour to my hair (grey matter) (brain)
I purchased an abacus in Ireland's premier resort Bundoran this morning.

(well that's what the natives call it)

Modesty is a wonderful attribute!!

Shannonview (Leitrim) - Posts: 16 - 28/02/2019 12:35:20    2168864

Link

Replying To Shannonview:  "Just after checking some info. Kinlough/Glenade the parish that
Same pretty large.
In your estimation do you think gortletteragh is bigger."
Gortletteragh is the largest parish in area in the diocese of Ardagh & Clonmacnoise. Not sure about in Leitrim.

Strange that north Leitrim doesn't abide by parish boundaries football wise. I suppose depopulation in that remote area is a problem.

spiritofeslin (Leitrim) - Posts: 51 - 15/03/2019 12:36:24    2172378

Link

Replying To spiritofeslin:  "Gortletteragh is the largest parish in area in the diocese of Ardagh & Clonmacnoise. Not sure about in Leitrim.

Strange that north Leitrim doesn't abide by parish boundaries football wise. I suppose depopulation in that remote area is a problem."
Just wondering what you are referring to in relation to north Leitrim clubs not abiding parish boundaries.
In my previous post. I said Melvin Gaels pick of players come from co Leitrim co Sligo and co Donegal.
All these areas of the three counties are in the Kinlough/Glenade parish.
What are you referring to in relation to north Leitrim clubs??

Shannonview (Leitrim) - Posts: 16 - 20/03/2019 18:28:15    2174017

Link

Replying To Shannonview:  "Just wondering what you are referring to in relation to north Leitrim clubs not abiding parish boundaries.
In my previous post. I said Melvin Gaels pick of players come from co Leitrim co Sligo and co Donegal.
All these areas of the three counties are in the Kinlough/Glenade parish.
What are you referring to in relation to north Leitrim clubs??"
Well you say there yourself players come from numerous counties to certain clubs in the nordern half of the county, which is anathema to clubs in the southern half. I understand that because it is such a small place numbers may be hard to come by, we see that with all the imalgamations there isn't it. It's just an observation, not a criticism for me

spiritofeslin (Leitrim) - Posts: 51 - 21/03/2019 08:23:09    2174109

Link