Carlow Forum

Hurlers 2019 Season

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Well, the journey comes to an end. But you can't fault the lads for the huge effort they gave all year. A huge ask to beat one of the big guns to stay up given our resources and the first year up. Great to be in the div 1 league next year again and this will be a huge incentive for lads to keep pushing and for lads to sharpen up. Hopefully more younger lads/squad players will see game time too which will stand to them. It's hard blood lads when every game is like a final so maybe the league next year will give them a chance as it's a 2 year job. While results didn't go our way, we deserved to be where we were and we 'll be back there again. I happened to be close to a large group of our county minors and u20s for the match and we have some good talent there. It also showed them that you can be as good as any player in any county if you work with your ability- I think some of the individual displays given by some of our players showed that this year in spades. So a big thank you to the panel and management for all their hard work and enjoyment they have given us this year. We are v proud of ye.

old yellar (None) - Posts: 2582 - 09/06/2019 11:32:52    2192095

Link

Replying To old yellar:  "Well, the journey comes to an end. But you can't fault the lads for the huge effort they gave all year. A huge ask to beat one of the big guns to stay up given our resources and the first year up. Great to be in the div 1 league next year again and this will be a huge incentive for lads to keep pushing and for lads to sharpen up. Hopefully more younger lads/squad players will see game time too which will stand to them. It's hard blood lads when every game is like a final so maybe the league next year will give them a chance as it's a 2 year job. While results didn't go our way, we deserved to be where we were and we 'll be back there again. I happened to be close to a large group of our county minors and u20s for the match and we have some good talent there. It also showed them that you can be as good as any player in any county if you work with your ability- I think some of the individual displays given by some of our players showed that this year in spades. So a big thank you to the panel and management for all their hard work and enjoyment they have given us this year. We are v proud of ye."
Hear hear, couldn't disagree with any of that.

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1155 - 09/06/2019 11:51:22    2192104

Link

Great year for the hurlers.

Staying up in division 1 was the target.

Competed well in the championship.

Hope Bonnar stays on but if he goes I wonder would dj Carey take the job.

carlovia (None) - Posts: 983 - 13/06/2019 18:38:51    2194551

Link

Replying To carlovia:  "Great year for the hurlers.

Staying up in division 1 was the target.

Competed well in the championship.

Hope Bonnar stays on but if he goes I wonder would dj Carey take the job."
What do ye think of Paul Coadys Twitter comments? I think he's making a lot of valid points.

carlovian (Carlow) - Posts: 9 - 16/06/2019 16:28:24    2195815

Link

In case you haven't seen them, Paul Coady's Twitter comments here....

https://hoganstand.com/Carlow/Article/Index/300473

carlovian (Carlow) - Posts: 9 - 16/06/2019 16:58:33    2195837

Link

The GAA has to be the only sporting organisation going, that has different promotion and relegation procedures for teams that partake in the same competition. You couldn't make it up

Re sporting finance. They created a monster a few years back when there was an open obsession with Dublin finally winning 'a' football All Ireland. Sin sceal eile

Total disillusionment in the organisation to be honest. Everyone is equal, but some are clearly more equal than others.

They're quite open about it now too when you see the open promotion/canvassing of the two tier approach to football. Josef Gobels wouldn't get a look in at the propaganda machine on the Sunday game.

Passer_By (Carlow) - Posts: 452 - 16/06/2019 19:27:56    2195978

Link

As I said Paul certainly makes some valid points. I also heard his interview on balls.ie, it's worth a listen too.

There's a lot of history behind one of his main points, i.e. It's been pretty much the same 9 or 10 teams at the top of the hurling pile for the last 100 years.

Certainly inancial help is needed to bring the 'weaker counties' up there. But it's not just financial - if it was, Dublin would have a bag of hurling All Irelands from the past 9 or 10 years.

There's a lot of other factors involved. Many of them are built into the skewed system for sure and they can be tackled IF the will is there. And some of them stem from the tradition that 100 years at the top give you.

I see that his comments have got a fair amount of traction in different places. Fair dues to him. Hopefully we'll see some action.

carlovian (Carlow) - Posts: 9 - 16/06/2019 22:49:29    2196118

Link

Just heard Donal Cusack on Sunday Game. Not directly addressing Paul's comments, but on the same theme.

His suggestion is roughly along the lines, let's wait another 10 years, see if everything is still the same, then let's try to address it. FFS, and he's supposed to be one of the game's 'thinkers'!?!

And on a related theme - Offaly lost 4 out of 4 at their grade this year, and so were deservedly relegated. No mention of Waterford's run of losing 8 out of 8 in Munster.

carlovian (Carlow) - Posts: 9 - 16/06/2019 23:29:36    2196144

Link

Replying To carlovian:  "Just heard Donal Cusack on Sunday Game. Not directly addressing Paul's comments, but on the same theme.

His suggestion is roughly along the lines, let's wait another 10 years, see if everything is still the same, then let's try to address it. FFS, and he's supposed to be one of the game's 'thinkers'!?!

And on a related theme - Offaly lost 4 out of 4 at their grade this year, and so were deservedly relegated. No mention of Waterford's run of losing 8 out of 8 in Munster."
That's not what he said at all, he said counties need to be funded better, and if in the. Years it's still the same 8-9 counties then we have failed

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1243 - 17/06/2019 11:15:53    2196324

Link

does Carlow Town still have a hurling club...i remember they were senior once but were struggling laways..theres a big population there to be dipping into

preddan (Kildare) - Posts: 425 - 17/06/2019 23:17:58    2196866

Link

Good to see the Joe McDonagh Final on before the Leinster Final. It gives the teams the profile they deserve. Also gives spectators a chance to see how the standard compares to the Liam McCarthy. And they can judge 1st hand the various claims out there about different refereeing standards.

Hopefully we'll see Carlow there next year.

carlovian (Carlow) - Posts: 9 - 22/06/2019 14:44:09    2198573

Link

Delighted to see SHC games returning to McGrath Park this week. It's a venue I used to love going there to watch these games & good to see them back there again.

fergie (Carlow) - Posts: 1044 - 16/07/2019 23:32:18    2212144

Link