Down Forum

Down Senior Hurlers 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Therealnumer1:  "
Replying To Galgetgael:  "[quote=Therealnumer1:  "[quote=pmack:  "[quote=bricktop:  "Lads do their stint with the county and move on and as you say most have young families and that's where their priorities lie.
Their commitment over the years should not be questioned on an internet forum by those who probably never gave those levels of commitment during their playing days.

Start with the club, you finish with the club.

I'd not be too hard on Paudie as I genuinely don't think (well I know) the players are there to compete with a physically dominant Derry team who can hurl as well.

BUT come see a few Antrim league club games as see what is actually available to you in a competitive environment.

We'll do well to avoid relegation this year."
Agree with Bricktop but likewise the management shouldn't be vilified either by an off performance either. Internet forum not the place for management to answer to anonymous people.

The players there are the best in the county who have made themselves available and put the training in, some more than others.

I hope the management team stay for the three years and build on what they have.

You don't need to play in a senior club to be good enough to play county hurling. Look at the Kilkenny team. Many lower division players ie. DJ Carey, Tommy Walsh, Padraig Walsh.

The sad fact is that the County team is at best intermediate standard and that includes the Ards senior club players. The Mc Crickards and Mc Manus from Liatroim would start on all of the Ards teams so to say that intermediate players aren't good enough is wrong. They all are at the same level."
Absolute nonsense the mccrickards and mc manus definitely would not stat for any of the 3 teams they would be squad players at best that's not being nasty that's being honest"]Are you for real, they would walk on to any team in Down - get off your high horse, all hurling in Down is utter rubbish, fourth rate and getting worse."]High horse you on drugs there's half a dozen minors better than them playing in the ards they would be very good 3rds players average intermediate players that's being honest"]Comments like this just show how deep some Ardsmen have their heads buried in sand. I hope you either haven't seen them play or you're just a young fella who has yet to board the ferry. Liatroim might not do great in the Senior Championship this year but you can be sure the McCrickards and McManus will be a handful for all 3 teams.

Down_champs (Down) - Posts: 34 - 14/05/2019 21:20:32    2184132

Link

Replying To Therealnumer1:  "
Replying To Galgetgael:  "[quote=Therealnumer1:  "[quote=pmack:  "[quote=bricktop:  "Lads do their stint with the county and move on and as you say most have young families and that's where their priorities lie.
Their commitment over the years should not be questioned on an internet forum by those who probably never gave those levels of commitment during their playing days.

Start with the club, you finish with the club.

I'd not be too hard on Paudie as I genuinely don't think (well I know) the players are there to compete with a physically dominant Derry team who can hurl as well.

BUT come see a few Antrim league club games as see what is actually available to you in a competitive environment.

We'll do well to avoid relegation this year."
Agree with Bricktop but likewise the management shouldn't be vilified either by an off performance either. Internet forum not the place for management to answer to anonymous people.

The players there are the best in the county who have made themselves available and put the training in, some more than others.

I hope the management team stay for the three years and build on what they have.

You don't need to play in a senior club to be good enough to play county hurling. Look at the Kilkenny team. Many lower division players ie. DJ Carey, Tommy Walsh, Padraig Walsh.

The sad fact is that the County team is at best intermediate standard and that includes the Ards senior club players. The Mc Crickards and Mc Manus from Liatroim would start on all of the Ards teams so to say that intermediate players aren't good enough is wrong. They all are at the same level."
Absolute nonsense the mccrickards and mc manus definitely would not stat for any of the 3 teams they would be squad players at best that's not being nasty that's being honest"]Are you for real, they would walk on to any team in Down - get off your high horse, all hurling in Down is utter rubbish, fourth rate and getting worse."]High horse you on drugs there's half a dozen minors better than them playing in the ards they would be very good 3rds players average intermediate players that's being honest"]You must be seeing different minor matches than the rest of us - have watched all the major contenders this year in the league and it's clear there is little to nothing coming through from this age group, definitely can't see these half dozen players your talking about.

Galgetgael (Down) - Posts: 198 - 14/05/2019 21:33:42    2184141

Link

Wicklow this sat is a massive game

crannumber2 (Down) - Posts: 242 - 16/05/2019 05:32:40    2184462

Link

Fair dues paudie and the boys,never saw it comin,so credit where its due,sets us up nicely for donegal

crannumber2 (Down) - Posts: 242 - 18/05/2019 17:16:41    2185250

Link

Ye Good result well done to team and management - get the job done in Donegal now. Listened to Wicklow commentary and Down were up for the battle alright.

SouthCounty (Down) - Posts: 18 - 18/05/2019 17:37:48    2185253

Link

Replying To crannumber2:  "Fair dues paudie and the boys,never saw it comin,so credit where its due,sets us up nicely for donegal"
How did you not see that coming?
Sure the same Down squad bate the same Wicklow squad by 10pts in the league a couple of months ago. Today's result is very welcome but hardly a surprise. In the 2 Christy Ring games so far Down's results are fairly much a carbon copy of league form.

downredhand (Tyrone) - Posts: 549 - 18/05/2019 18:11:51    2185266

Link

Are u sure it was the same squad???? Think u need to check that,tyrone man

crannumber2 (Down) - Posts: 242 - 18/05/2019 20:02:38    2185296

Link

Replying To crannumber2:  "Are u sure it was the same squad???? Think u need to check that,tyrone man"
Outside of John McManus down don't appear to have added anyone to today's match day squad.

Either way beating the same team twice in 3 months is hardly unforeseen, that was my point cub

downredhand (Tyrone) - Posts: 549 - 18/05/2019 20:48:28    2185308

Link

Replying To downredhand:  "Outside of John McManus down don't appear to have added anyone to today's match day squad.

Either way beating the same team twice in 3 months is hardly unforeseen, that was my point cub"
I disagree Tyrone man... beating a team once gives them all the learning & all the motivation. Beating them twice shows real character. Fair play to Ronan & the boys. Some win.

In_da_ditch (UK) - Posts: 138 - 18/05/2019 21:38:14    2185326

Link

Replying To In_da_ditch:  "I disagree Tyrone man... beating a team once gives them all the learning & all the motivation. Beating them twice shows real character. Fair play to Ronan & the boys. Some win."
Always good to get a win on the road, so fair play to them, but if we've aspirations Wicklow should not be seen as an issue.

Donegal beat us two years ago up there but we still should have too much for them.

As the bearded Tyrone man says...

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2308 - 20/05/2019 13:19:56    2185897

Link

Replying To bricktop:  "Always good to get a win on the road, so fair play to them, but if we've aspirations Wicklow should not be seen as an issue.

Donegal beat us two years ago up there but we still should have too much for them.

As the bearded Tyrone man says..."
Was at the Derry v Donegal game. Expected Derry to ein easy. Very lucky to claw 8 points back after half time. Donegal looked hungrier and fitter. Down won't get it easy

christy sting (Derry) - Posts: 243 - 21/05/2019 00:54:57    2186138

Link

Replying To bricktop:  "Always good to get a win on the road, so fair play to them, but if we've aspirations Wicklow should not be seen as an issue.

As the bearded Tyrone man says..."
Wicklow won the league that we simply cannot seem to.... so I disagree that Wicklow are not an issue. Everyone in this competition is an issue. So good luck Paudie up in the hills for your next issue!!!

In_da_ditch (UK) - Posts: 138 - 21/05/2019 07:53:58    2186152

Link

Have the senior hurlers stopped drinking yet?

In_da_ditch (UK) - Posts: 138 - 27/05/2019 23:07:24    2188365

Link

Replying To In_da_ditch:  "Have the senior hurlers stopped drinking yet?"
Water, isotonic drinks??

Most are playing week in week out with their clubs, where is all this drinking occuring?

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2308 - 30/05/2019 14:46:44    2189123

Link

Best of luck tomorrow.

Need to play the game on our terms, moving fast into the forwards ASAP and avoiding the rucks as much as possible, we're too small for that carry on.

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2308 - 31/05/2019 15:32:36    2189435

Link

Bricktop has changed his tune,maybe thats another face of his,good luck paudie and team,a win is vital to progress,lets do it and push on to croker hopefully

crannumber2 (Down) - Posts: 242 - 01/06/2019 06:31:07    2189554

Link

Replying To crannumber2:  "Bricktop has changed his tune,maybe thats another face of his,good luck paudie and team,a win is vital to progress,lets do it and push on to croker hopefully"
Good luck to team and management today. Donegal fighting to stay up.

SouthCounty (Down) - Posts: 18 - 01/06/2019 11:42:37    2189588

Link

Super result well done paudie and team

crannumber2 (Down) - Posts: 242 - 01/06/2019 18:52:08    2189659

Link

Big result and well done to all - Top the group and Roscommon at home? Onwards and upwards!

SouthCounty (Down) - Posts: 18 - 01/06/2019 21:02:22    2189677

Link

Replying To crannumber2:  "Bricktop has changed his tune,maybe thats another face of his,good luck paudie and team,a win is vital to progress,lets do it and push on to croker hopefully"
Best post ever!!! Croker here we come!!!

In_da_ditch (UK) - Posts: 138 - 02/06/2019 08:21:39    2189713

Link