Down Forum

Down Senior Hurlers 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To RedDog68:  "What about the Portaferry u21 3 years ago that destroyed that same Liatroim team? That team won everything and nobody came close to them."
I agree totally but to say that there is no hurling outside the Ards is simply not true.

If you were in Pairc Esler yesterday you would have seen that more than half of the Down team came from those two U21 teams, proof that players can come through is given the chance, regardless of where they are from.

pmack (Down) - Posts: 42 - 25/02/2019 12:36:29    2167952

Link

Replying To pmack:  "I agree totally but to say that there is no hurling outside the Ards is simply not true.

If you were in Pairc Esler yesterday you would have seen that more than half of the Down team came from those two U21 teams, proof that players can come through is given the chance, regardless of where they are from."
Yep I was at the game yesterday . Have to say it was a better display the game was over at 1/2 time.

cahill (None) - Posts: 2486 - 25/02/2019 19:16:25    2168124

Link

Who is going to stop the pick of down this year

Thekid14 (Down) - Posts: 188 - 01/03/2019 21:31:52    2169268

Link

Kildare by looks of it the kid,did we only regester 1-6 is this right???

crannumber2 (Down) - Posts: 242 - 03/03/2019 14:50:22    2169705

Link

League final defeat last year was disappointing. Not even making the final this year has to be worse. Where do we go from here?

In_da_ditch (UK) - Posts: 138 - 03/03/2019 22:32:40    2169928

Link

Replying To crannumber2:  "Kildare by looks of it the kid,did we only regester 1-6 is this right???"
Kildare scored 0-07 from frees. Need to cut out fouls as said in Gaelic Life last week.

pmack (Down) - Posts: 42 - 04/03/2019 09:45:01    2169991

Link

Replying To In_da_ditch:  "League final defeat last year was disappointing. Not even making the final this year has to be worse. Where do we go from here?"
Said it before that's down level couldn't live with the teams in 2a

ianog (Down) - Posts: 394 - 04/03/2019 09:46:59    2169992

Link

Replying To In_da_ditch:  "League final defeat last year was disappointing. Not even making the final this year has to be worse. Where do we go from here?"
Keep building with the youth and stick to the game plan being promoted by the management team.

Important that the management given time to build without ditch hurlers having a go at them.

Conditions yesterday were horrendous and the game shouldn't have been played.

Better conditions in the coming months will suit the players and the game plan and I expect that the team will fare much better in the Christy Ring Cup.

Reduce the number of frees conceded by the defenders and we should be well there.

pmack (Down) - Posts: 42 - 04/03/2019 09:53:42    2169994

Link

Replying To pmack:  "Keep building with the youth and stick to the game plan being promoted by the management team.

Important that the management given time to build without ditch hurlers having a go at them.

Conditions yesterday were horrendous and the game shouldn't have been played.

Better conditions in the coming months will suit the players and the game plan and I expect that the team will fare much better in the Christy Ring Cup.

Reduce the number of frees conceded by the defenders and we should be well there."
Conditions the same for both

ianog (Down) - Posts: 394 - 04/03/2019 13:03:17    2170084

Link

Replying To ianog:  "Conditions the same for both"
If you bothered to read the whole message you might have seen that I qualified my comment by describing the current Down teams strengths being suited to better weather conditions and pitches due to their physique but why should you went there is an opportunity to be negative towards the county team.

pmack (Down) - Posts: 42 - 04/03/2019 13:36:42    2170103

Link

Replying To pmack:  "If you bothered to read the whole message you might have seen that I qualified my comment by describing the current Down teams strengths being suited to better weather conditions and pitches due to their physique but why should you went there is an opportunity to be negative towards the county team."
I didn't think the last message was negative, simply pointing out the conditions were the same for both teams. I do think it's worth pointing out that as the ground gets harder these other teams also move faster & with their size advantage already over our lads when they hit moving at more speed we will feel it twice as much. Kildare & London etc will all improve as the summer comes too so I think pinning our hopes on is being the only team that improves is worrying.

In_da_ditch (UK) - Posts: 138 - 04/03/2019 16:23:34    2170170

Link

Replying To pmack:  "If you bothered to read the whole message you might have seen that I qualified my comment by describing the current Down teams strengths being suited to better weather conditions and pitches due to their physique but why should you went there is an opportunity to be negative towards the county team."
Not at all just pointing the obvious maybe a motion to croke park then to only play in nice weather ehhhh

ianog (Down) - Posts: 394 - 04/03/2019 17:03:46    2170182

Link

Replying To In_da_ditch:  "I didn't think the last message was negative, simply pointing out the conditions were the same for both teams. I do think it's worth pointing out that as the ground gets harder these other teams also move faster & with their size advantage already over our lads when they hit moving at more speed we will feel it twice as much. Kildare & London etc will all improve as the summer comes too so I think pinning our hopes on is being the only team that improves is worrying."
As the players showed last week against Donegal in good playing conditions they can more than compete with their superior speed and skill.

The physically bigger players of Kildare won't be able to keep up with the Down players under good conditions.

Why are you so negative towards the county team? Is it because the manager is from outside the Ards?

At least so far he has turned up for all of the matches and hasn't left early to go on holidays.

You might find if given a chance then the team might just achieve some success over the next couple of years.

pmack (Down) - Posts: 42 - 04/03/2019 18:19:36    2170203

Link

Replying To ianog:  "Not at all just pointing the obvious maybe a motion to croke park then to only play in nice weather ehhhh"
Hurling should not be played in those conditions and well you know it.

I didn't see you standing out in it to support your county team or do you just go to Ards venues.

pmack (Down) - Posts: 42 - 04/03/2019 18:22:06    2170204

Link

Replying To crannumber2:  "Kildare by looks of it the kid,did we only regester 1-6 is this right???"
To be honest didn't know Kildare had a hurling team.?

Thekid14 (Down) - Posts: 188 - 04/03/2019 23:04:42    2170289

Link

Replying To pmack:  "Hurling should not be played in those conditions and well you know it.

I didn't see you standing out in it to support your county team or do you just go to Ards venues."
Only pointing out the obvious but sure seemingly not supposed to should live in fairyland as I've stated this id downs level we are not good enough for 2a it's judt the reality wouldn't mater if Cody was manager I've no problem we're the manger is from

ianog (Down) - Posts: 394 - 05/03/2019 01:42:04    2170306

Link

Replying To pmack:  "As the players showed last week against Donegal in good playing conditions they can more than compete with their superior speed and skill.

The physically bigger players of Kildare won't be able to keep up with the Down players under good conditions.

Why are you so negative towards the county team? Is it because the manager is from outside the Ards?

At least so far he has turned up for all of the matches and hasn't left early to go on holidays.

You might find if given a chance then the team might just achieve some success over the next couple of years."
Do you not like the Ards? We have some great bars and restaurants and a lovely aquarium. You really should visit some time, you never know you may actually like it.

In_da_ditch (UK) - Posts: 138 - 05/03/2019 07:47:23    2170313

Link

It was the same last Sunday, some players fought for the ball where 6/7 of the others were content to watch . Not big nor strong enough for Kildare's larger phisical squad. Conditions were bad, personally I don't think the game shoulda started, the ref was the star, main man.

cahill (None) - Posts: 2486 - 05/03/2019 20:46:03    2170477

Link

Replying To In_da_ditch:  "Do you not like the Ards? We have some great bars and restaurants and a lovely aquarium. You really should visit some time, you never know you may actually like it."
I'm from the Ards and live here but I am man enough to speak out about the narrow mindedness of the hurling people in the Ards who think they invented hurling and its their way or no way.

Do you not agree that the management setup this year is much better than previous years.

The players are getting proper training by a trained coach in proper facilities and their welfare is better looked after.

Ask the players what they think of this years setup and you will hear that they are pleased with it.

pmack (Down) - Posts: 42 - 06/03/2019 21:25:09    2170741

Link

Replying To pmack:  "I'm from the Ards and live here but I am man enough to speak out about the narrow mindedness of the hurling people in the Ards who think they invented hurling and its their way or no way.

Do you not agree that the management setup this year is much better than previous years.

The players are getting proper training by a trained coach in proper facilities and their welfare is better looked after.

Ask the players what they think of this years setup and you will hear that they are pleased with it."
Ok but have come up shorter it's about results I'd have thought !!!

ianog (Down) - Posts: 394 - 07/03/2019 05:37:26    2170762

Link