Monaghan Forum

Club Football 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Who do Clontibret have now?
Hope they give Ulster a good go, were solid from 1-15 today, efficient in attack and intense in their defence. as already mentioned their midfield were very good

MonaghanGlory (Monaghan) - Posts: 669 - 20/10/2019 21:21:53    2244646

Link

Replying To MonaghanGlory:  "Who do Clontibret have now?
Hope they give Ulster a good go, were solid from 1-15 today, efficient in attack and intense in their defence. as already mentioned their midfield were very good"
They play Cross on Saturday week

patk (Monaghan) - Posts: 831 - 20/10/2019 22:10:44    2244664

Link

Replying To monman246:  "John McEntee facing his own club now in Ulster. Could be a tasty affair"
Must be a good enough manager, they are lucky to have him

mhunicean_abu (Monaghan) - Posts: 712 - 21/10/2019 07:54:21    2244691

Link

Get the young midfielder in the county set up

conjack76 (Monaghan) - Posts: 59 - 21/10/2019 13:28:49    2244770

Link

Replying To conjack76:  "Get the young midfielder in the county set up"
Which one?

patk (Monaghan) - Posts: 831 - 21/10/2019 14:00:01    2244777

Link

Congrats to Clontibret on a great victory yesterday, well worth the 6 point win, very well organised and defensively very impressive. Scotstown looked dead on their feet and the games versus Ballybay must have taken their toll. I have followed this Scotstown team as a neutral in Monaghan and Ulster over the last number of years and they have been a good offensive team to watch, they owe their club nothing. They will be back again next year.

mickduffy (Monaghan) - Posts: 28 - 21/10/2019 14:21:15    2244781

Link

Replying To patk:  "Which one?"
The two of them. They destroyed the Hughes brothers. They are the future

monaghanmad (Monaghan) - Posts: 155 - 21/10/2019 16:07:08    2244814

Link

Replying To monaghanmad:  "The two of them. They destroyed the Hughes brothers. They are the future"
Yeah both look very promising. Both just 21 I think, big lads but can move as well as win high ball. Both chipped in with a point yesterday too. Impressive for such a young pairing to do so well against a very experienced Scotstown midfield.

patk (Monaghan) - Posts: 831 - 21/10/2019 17:29:49    2244832

Link

Thats the first time Clontibret were at full strength throughout the whole Championship. People writing them off clearly don't understand how good some of these new young lads are, and the old guard, Mansy, Vinny and Dessie are still as reliable as ever. They're goalkeeper is not far off being Beggan's back up keeper, he's been outstanding in all 4 Championship games (they didn't concede one goal the entire Championship). Killian Lavelle bullied, annoyed, and outplayed Kieran Hughes for the full 60, his midfield partner Hughes set the tone for the game with his hit at the beginning. Them lads are only 21 and 23. Serious performance from the whole team.

HB245 (Monaghan) - Posts: 73 - 21/10/2019 17:44:29    2244837

Link

Senior final highlights - https://youtu.be/qIGNZqIEorY

patk (Monaghan) - Posts: 831 - 22/10/2019 09:54:16    2244905

Link

Replying To HB245:  "Yes, Ballybay are are a great side. I would argue that individually they have are better than Scotstown, and they shouldn't be getting sympathy for losing to Scotstown year in, year out. They've crumbled on too many occasions. Since they won in 2012, the only 'big' team I can remember them beating was a poor Clontibret team last year.
Also, for Footblock to suggest that Scotstown have no respect for Clontibret is just completely false. The two most dominant clubs of the last 20+ years going at it, should be a good one."
I'm going to stick my neck out here and say I was right about Scotstown not respecting Clontibret and I think it was their downfall. I think Scotstown thought they had the championship won when they beat Ballybay. They hadnt played Clontibret in championship in recent years and had always beaten the team who had knocked the O'Neill's out. And Clontibret's form in the championship up to the final was patchy at best. I think in that going so close in Ulster in recent years they had one eye on the Cross game. They seemed to have very little homework done on Clontibret and they're attacking plan of lumping ball in Michael McCarville didn't reap any benefits. What was worse was that Conor McCarthy had the beating of his man but they only gave him a couple of balls all day. I'm not slagging off Clontibret, they had their homework done and they got 8/10 at least from virtually every man on the field and the sideline and posters are right, the county could do a lot worse than those 2 midfielders but this is a big "what might have been" for Scotstown.

FootblockREF (Monaghan) - Posts: 405 - 22/10/2019 20:54:42    2245062

Link

Replying To FootblockREF:  "I'm going to stick my neck out here and say I was right about Scotstown not respecting Clontibret and I think it was their downfall. I think Scotstown thought they had the championship won when they beat Ballybay. They hadnt played Clontibret in championship in recent years and had always beaten the team who had knocked the O'Neill's out. And Clontibret's form in the championship up to the final was patchy at best. I think in that going so close in Ulster in recent years they had one eye on the Cross game. They seemed to have very little homework done on Clontibret and they're attacking plan of lumping ball in Michael McCarville didn't reap any benefits. What was worse was that Conor McCarthy had the beating of his man but they only gave him a couple of balls all day. I'm not slagging off Clontibret, they had their homework done and they got 8/10 at least from virtually every man on the field and the sideline and posters are right, the county could do a lot worse than those 2 midfielders but this is a big "what might have been" for Scotstown."
Don't think it was a lack of respect but getting up for another big game in a week after the Ballybay game may have been too much. After all these guys had a weeks work to do and no weekend to get their heads settled. Clontibret look smart now conceding league semi-final. Clontibret midfield impressive but one swallow doesn't a summer make.

seamusorinn (USA) - Posts: 84 - 22/10/2019 22:39:43    2245111

Link

Replying To FootblockREF:  "I'm going to stick my neck out here and say I was right about Scotstown not respecting Clontibret and I think it was their downfall. I think Scotstown thought they had the championship won when they beat Ballybay. They hadnt played Clontibret in championship in recent years and had always beaten the team who had knocked the O'Neill's out. And Clontibret's form in the championship up to the final was patchy at best. I think in that going so close in Ulster in recent years they had one eye on the Cross game. They seemed to have very little homework done on Clontibret and they're attacking plan of lumping ball in Michael McCarville didn't reap any benefits. What was worse was that Conor McCarthy had the beating of his man but they only gave him a couple of balls all day. I'm not slagging off Clontibret, they had their homework done and they got 8/10 at least from virtually every man on the field and the sideline and posters are right, the county could do a lot worse than those 2 midfielders but this is a big "what might have been" for Scotstown."
Well if it's true that Scotstown didn't respect Clontibret, then clearly that was extremely foolish. I doubt it though personally seeing as they're an experienced group of players and have seen it all, I'm sure they'd have known better than to completely overlook what is (despite what some try to suggest) one of the best teams in the county - it's not like they were coming up against someone like Currin who fluked their way into a final.

It wasn't such a tight game to suggest Scotstown should be thinking "what if". It's not like say the 2014 final where Scotstown threw away a good lead and Clontibret really nicked it at the death, I'd say that one stung. But on Sunday they were outplayed start to finish, they can have zero complaints.

We all know Scotstown will be right back at the front of the queue next year looking to retain Mick Duffy, but they're not the unstoppable juggernaut some were portraying them as before the final. Some people fell into the trap of thinking like that.

patk (Monaghan) - Posts: 831 - 22/10/2019 23:28:52    2245121

Link

Replying To patk:  "Well if it's true that Scotstown didn't respect Clontibret, then clearly that was extremely foolish. I doubt it though personally seeing as they're an experienced group of players and have seen it all, I'm sure they'd have known better than to completely overlook what is (despite what some try to suggest) one of the best teams in the county - it's not like they were coming up against someone like Currin who fluked their way into a final.

It wasn't such a tight game to suggest Scotstown should be thinking "what if". It's not like say the 2014 final where Scotstown threw away a good lead and Clontibret really nicked it at the death, I'd say that one stung. But on Sunday they were outplayed start to finish, they can have zero complaints.

We all know Scotstown will be right back at the front of the queue next year looking to retain Mick Duffy, but they're not the unstoppable juggernaut some were portraying them as before the final. Some people fell into the trap of thinking like that."
Alot of unfair comments posted re Clontibret and Scotstown . I believe both clubs have nothing but the greatest of respect for each other both on and off the field. The only people being disrespectful to both clubs are those keyboard warriors who obviously have little knowledge of senior club scene in Monaghan. As the saying goes "if you walk like a duck and talk like a duck your most likely a duck" Quack Quack

lorcano (Monaghan) - Posts: 45 - 23/10/2019 11:01:26    2245173

Link

I think you should refrain from making any more comments on the senior club scene! You claimed Clontibret had just the two forwards that would be of any trouble to Scotstown, and you outdone yourself by comparing their chances of winning to that of Harps and Magheracloone a few years back. Anyone that follows club football would know that Clontibret were best placed to end the Drive for Five this year. And if you even remotely believe that Scotstown had no respect for them, I don't know what to tell you!

HB245 (Monaghan) - Posts: 73 - 23/10/2019 11:16:43    2245180

Link

I doubt any team playing against a team with Conor mc manus would take them lightly. Everyone laughed at mc gleenan putting Kieran Hughes back on him. If Kieran Hughes was on him Sunday would clontibret have won?

monaghanmad (Monaghan) - Posts: 155 - 23/10/2019 13:20:00    2245216

Link

Replying To monaghanmad:  "I doubt any team playing against a team with Conor mc manus would take them lightly. Everyone laughed at mc gleenan putting Kieran Hughes back on him. If Kieran Hughes was on him Sunday would clontibret have won?"
I think Clontibret would have still won. They were very impressive and they were hungrier all over the field. Kieran Hughes would not have emilinated Conor totally from the match. 3 weeks in a row would have had a bearing on Scotstowns performance no matter who marked McManus also. Clontibret were just the better team and deservedly won the match.

Tim_NicebutDim (Monaghan) - Posts: 309 - 23/10/2019 14:42:21    2245243

Link

McManus played deeper on Sunday than he did when Hughes marked him. He was drifting around the 40 and deeper, but drove forward when a score was on. Harder man to mark when he's moving like that rather than sitting in on the square waiting to make a run.

Plus had Hughes been marking McManus, they'd have done even worse at midfield than they already did.

patk (Monaghan) - Posts: 831 - 23/10/2019 15:29:00    2245263

Link

Replying To HB245:  "I think you should refrain from making any more comments on the senior club scene! You claimed Clontibret had just the two forwards that would be of any trouble to Scotstown, and you outdone yourself by comparing their chances of winning to that of Harps and Magheracloone a few years back. Anyone that follows club football would know that Clontibret were best placed to end the Drive for Five this year. And if you even remotely believe that Scotstown had no respect for them, I don't know what to tell you!"
Clontibret almost got relegated last season. I doubt there were alot people around the county predicting them to end Scotstown's hunt for five in-a-row. Ballybay were the obvious team to do it and but for the fact they couldn't put the ball in the net they would have easily beaten Clontibret a few weeks back, buts that's sport for ya. Ballybay have probably left at least 3 C'ships behind them in recent times.

Adler (Monaghan) - Posts: 741 - 23/10/2019 23:40:57    2245360

Link

Replying To HB245:  "I think you should refrain from making any more comments on the senior club scene! You claimed Clontibret had just the two forwards that would be of any trouble to Scotstown, and you outdone yourself by comparing their chances of winning to that of Harps and Magheracloone a few years back. Anyone that follows club football would know that Clontibret were best placed to end the Drive for Five this year. And if you even remotely believe that Scotstown had no respect for them, I don't know what to tell you!"
Hadn't won a club championship since 2014. No final since 2016. No semi final in 2017, beaten by Ballybay easily in last years semi final when you called them a "poor Clontibret team" - that was a year ago! Needed Blayney to throw a game to survive Senior last year. Last Owen Ward Cup 2011. The dogs on the street know that Scotstown were already analysing Cross. Were Clontibret doing that? No! They were totally focused on last Sunday as they should have been. Scotstown paying the price for arrogance and hubris.

FootblockREF (Monaghan) - Posts: 405 - 24/10/2019 08:32:18    2245376

Link