Monaghan Forum

Club Football 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To seamusorinn:  "So you want fixtures to be chopped and changed and players plans messed around just because Monaghan were out of the championship early. Have some respect for club players even if it doesn't suit you."
I played for my club for 15 years at senior level.... my point i was trying to make is the circumstances on which killanny and aghabog were beaten on the other night is simply not good enough for players who have been training since last Jan/feb.. another point that could be made is that players going to the USA for the summer aren't really committed to their club anyway so yes these fixtures could have been pulled in a week or 2

mick2007 (Monaghan) - Posts: 227 - 20/08/2019 12:59:24    2227858

Link

Is there going to be a replay in the aghabog v rockcorry game? It's going to be tricky to sort that all out and have each side in agreement.

monaghanmad (Monaghan) - Posts: 182 - 20/08/2019 13:31:11    2227877

Link

Replying To mick2007:  "I played for my club for 15 years at senior level.... my point i was trying to make is the circumstances on which killanny and aghabog were beaten on the other night is simply not good enough for players who have been training since last Jan/feb.. another point that could be made is that players going to the USA for the summer aren't really committed to their club anyway so yes these fixtures could have been pulled in a week or 2"
Cop on. Never mentioned American tourists. What about all the club players who planned holidays and other activities around the official fixtures calendar. Just tear it up and screw them,you say!

seamusorinn (USA) - Posts: 85 - 21/08/2019 19:22:48    2228338

Link

What's the story with Clontibret meant to be missing a few men for the Carrick game.Anyone hear any truth to the matter?

GAA89 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1 - 22/08/2019 11:18:13    2228464

Link

Replying To GAA89:  "What's the story with Clontibret meant to be missing a few men for the Carrick game.Anyone hear any truth to the matter?"
first post asking abut a certain game.. welcome on board the carrick support

detruth (Monaghan) - Posts: 193 - 23/08/2019 14:17:50    2228781

Link

Replying To detruth:  "first post asking abut a certain game.. welcome on board the carrick support"
I would say that Clontibret are quaking in their boots and that they're putting rumours out. Double Bluffing.

xxB3B0Stunnahxx (USA) - Posts: 91 - 23/08/2019 23:55:48    2228933

Link

Carrick i suspect will do the usual this eve play well and a silly management decision will lose it. Anything is possible but good to see jinx and o hanlon back from their american holidays!!!!

cmxu (Monaghan) - Posts: 23 - 24/08/2019 08:20:58    2228952

Link

Clontibret hold a great advantage with the experience they have can't see them quaking too much. Its just a matter of them clicking like they did throughout the league. Carrick a good fast team though and will bring a tight challenge. Fancy Clontibret by 3 or 4.

The Ballybay and Latton game should be a cracker. No love lost here but Bally by 6 in my opinion. They have far too much class.

Scotstown will walk it tomorrow against Doohamlet. Easily a point a man if they wanted.

Blayney to give Truagh a great game and maybe clinch it. They really are a championship team and after a few league wins on the bounce there their tales will be up.

Hope to attend all four games this weekend and hoping for 4 exciting games. Blessing of the graves in blayney this evening too so parking will be scarce.

countymonaghan (Monaghan) - Posts: 166 - 24/08/2019 10:08:32    2228967

Link

I'm all for the lads watching the PL across the water but the Carrickmacross players adulation and tribute to Pogba and Rashford last night took the biscuit!!

GerryD (Monaghan) - Posts: 318 - 25/08/2019 11:02:14    2229120

Link

Replying To GerryD:  "I'm all for the lads watching the PL across the water but the Carrickmacross players adulation and tribute to Pogba and Rashford last night took the biscuit!!"
What is this about ? was not at the game.

farneygael (Monaghan) - Posts: 160 - 25/08/2019 12:40:30    2229141

Link

Replying To farneygael:  "What is this about ? was not at the game."
Hitting the post with Penalty's

MonaghanGlory (Monaghan) - Posts: 686 - 25/08/2019 14:10:51    2229169

Link

Carrick - clontibret game poor affair carrick were brutal and Clontibet just cudnt put them away. The holiday makers from carrick were poor and not working as a unit!!! Suspect their championship cud be over next weekend!

cmxu (Monaghan) - Posts: 23 - 25/08/2019 16:37:46    2229187

Link

Who seems to be best placed to trouble scotstown?
Ballybay had a good win over latton and clontibret had a good win too.

monaghanmad (Monaghan) - Posts: 182 - 25/08/2019 20:12:32    2229228

Link

Replying To monaghanmad:  "Who seems to be best placed to trouble scotstown?
Ballybay had a good win over latton and clontibret had a good win too."
Ballybay are definitely best set up to trouble them. They play lovely football, Chris McGuinness is as dangerous as ever. Interesting to see both Scotstown and Clontibret use the 'big man' at Full Forward very effectively with Michael McCarville and Vinny Corey both getting a lot of scores. Encouraging for Clontibret that they got the win without McManus for most of the game, which wouldn't have been the case in years gone past.
Scotstown can't be happy with the amount of scores conceded against Doohamlet, a team like Ballybay would punish them every single time.

HB245 (Monaghan) - Posts: 74 - 25/08/2019 22:28:46    2229255

Link

This County is becoming a farce regarding Club football,if the people in charge are not carefull we will be back in the shit just like we were in the 90's........

From the 5 pointers for the league,to waiting 9 weeks to start the championship, to now having to take penaltys to finish a game and now play 6-7 days later,lose and your season is over!!!!!!!!

Enough is enough........how are we going to develop our footballers if we treat them like this,for example the only decent player on show last night was Stephen O'Hanlon,if his team gets beaten next weekend he wont be playing any decent football until next season (forget about the league).......................now how is that going to bring him or any other young up and coming player on................its not, its gonna drive them away to some other sport.

Extra games help players improve,specially Championship games..............how the County board let 9 weeks go by without moving the games forward is behond a joke...................when the county went out early there should of been a review and give a 4 week break to get ready, leaving 5 weeks for replays and breaks between matches so that the players could prepare better for the games and that would leave our club matches at a better standard as you would be getting fresher players and teams who play regulary and a spicer replay when teams meet again.

My Confidence in the County Board is gone after this crap, plus the way the county management job is been handled is a joke.........................dark times ahead if this is allowed continue!!

hardcore (Monaghan) - Posts: 1366 - 25/08/2019 23:15:32    2229263

Link

Replying To farneygael:  "What is this about ? was not at the game."
There was a few penalties missed...

GerryD (Monaghan) - Posts: 318 - 25/08/2019 23:31:15    2229268

Link

Replying To HB245:  "Ballybay are definitely best set up to trouble them. They play lovely football, Chris McGuinness is as dangerous as ever. Interesting to see both Scotstown and Clontibret use the 'big man' at Full Forward very effectively with Michael McCarville and Vinny Corey both getting a lot of scores. Encouraging for Clontibret that they got the win without McManus for most of the game, which wouldn't have been the case in years gone past.
Scotstown can't be happy with the amount of scores conceded against Doohamlet, a team like Ballybay would punish them every single time."
A scotstown team that didn't start the 2 Hughes or Shane Carey...

kupa (Monaghan) - Posts: 266 - 26/08/2019 10:53:18    2229340

Link

Replying To hardcore:  "This County is becoming a farce regarding Club football,if the people in charge are not carefull we will be back in the shit just like we were in the 90's........

From the 5 pointers for the league,to waiting 9 weeks to start the championship, to now having to take penaltys to finish a game and now play 6-7 days later,lose and your season is over!!!!!!!!

Enough is enough........how are we going to develop our footballers if we treat them like this,for example the only decent player on show last night was Stephen O'Hanlon,if his team gets beaten next weekend he wont be playing any decent football until next season (forget about the league).......................now how is that going to bring him or any other young up and coming player on................its not, its gonna drive them away to some other sport.

Extra games help players improve,specially Championship games..............how the County board let 9 weeks go by without moving the games forward is behond a joke...................when the county went out early there should of been a review and give a 4 week break to get ready, leaving 5 weeks for replays and breaks between matches so that the players could prepare better for the games and that would leave our club matches at a better standard as you would be getting fresher players and teams who play regulary and a spicer replay when teams meet again.

My Confidence in the County Board is gone after this crap, plus the way the county management job is been handled is a joke.........................dark times ahead if this is allowed continue!!"
Understand your frustration up to a point, but what difference does it make to somebody like Stephen o Hanlon if they played a championship match 4 or 5 weeks ago and get beat next weekend? They are still going to be out and have no meaningful football till next year is that not so?
I'm not a fan of the rush to condense everything either but if the county team had done the same as last year everyone would expect the county board to have the fixtures set up to facilitate the team. A case of damned if you do something and damned if you don't I think

ginelli (Monaghan) - Posts: 42 - 26/08/2019 11:09:28    2229348

Link

As member of the #KeepersUnion, I'd like to point out that the Clontibret keeper saved most of Carrick's penalties. As for the game itself, O'Hanlon was the best player on the pitch by a mile. MOR has many qualities but embracing talent is not one of them. This man was our best player against both All Ireland finalists but one bad game v Cavan saw him consigned to the subs for the rest of the year while more established forwards continued to be picked and continued to under perform.
The Ballybay v Latton game was a bit like the Hurling final, the sending off spoiled it but didn't affect the result. Ballybay kicked 2-17 without Paul Finlay, Dessie Ward, Thomas Kerr or Chris McGuinness getting close to top form. This would be ominous for the rest of the teams.
Scotstown won handy, I wouldn't be putting much store in how much they conceded, people overreacted to the same issue after their semi final v Magheracloone last year.

FootblockREF (Monaghan) - Posts: 428 - 26/08/2019 13:13:09    2229392

Link

Replying To HB245:  "Ballybay are definitely best set up to trouble them. They play lovely football, Chris McGuinness is as dangerous as ever. Interesting to see both Scotstown and Clontibret use the 'big man' at Full Forward very effectively with Michael McCarville and Vinny Corey both getting a lot of scores. Encouraging for Clontibret that they got the win without McManus for most of the game, which wouldn't have been the case in years gone past.
Scotstown can't be happy with the amount of scores conceded against Doohamlet, a team like Ballybay would punish them every single time."
I wouldn't find anything encouraging in that Clontibret performance against a very very poor Carrick team. The whole thing was a turgid affair, compounded by seeming endless extensions. Either team could have taken the game in one of the ET periods, but neither seemed inclined. Clontibret allowed a 2 goal (5 point?) lead to slip away in ordinary time. McManus was on for at around half of the game time, and scored 1-1 (maybe more?) so to to say they did it without him is a bit of a stretch.

Unless they can step it up a few notches, I sadly don't see them competing well in further rounds.

The goalkeeper won this for them by

1) getting most of his kick-outs away accurately
2) Saving 2 (if not 3?) penalties

TearsIn85 (Monaghan) - Posts: 92 - 26/08/2019 13:32:19    2229401

Link