Monaghan Forum

Club Football 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To FootblockREF:  "Hadn't won a club championship since 2014. No final since 2016. No semi final in 2017, beaten by Ballybay easily in last years semi final when you called them a "poor Clontibret team" - that was a year ago! Needed Blayney to throw a game to survive Senior last year. Last Owen Ward Cup 2011. The dogs on the street know that Scotstown were already analysing Cross. Were Clontibret doing that? No! They were totally focused on last Sunday as they should have been. Scotstown paying the price for arrogance and hubris."
The fact that you brought up an Owen Ward Cup tells me all I need to know! They have historically never cared one bit about winning a league medal. Didn't they finish dead last in the league in 2010 and would have been relegated had they not won the Championship? Just a couple of weeks ago they weren't even bothered fielding a team for a league semi final!
Yes they hadn't made a final since 2014, yes they had been poor last year, but we are talking about THIS year! And if you had seen any of them this year, you'd know how ridiculous you sound!
Also, Scotstown had watched the Armagh Championship before they played Ballybay, didn't have a problem beating them.

HB245 (Monaghan) - Posts: 74 - 24/10/2019 11:29:23    2245412

Link

Replying To Adler:  "Clontibret almost got relegated last season. I doubt there were alot people around the county predicting them to end Scotstown's hunt for five in-a-row. Ballybay were the obvious team to do it and but for the fact they couldn't put the ball in the net they would have easily beaten Clontibret a few weeks back, buts that's sport for ya. Ballybay have probably left at least 3 C'ships behind them in recent times."
Ballybay 'would' have beaten Clontibret but for missed goal chances. Ballybay 'would' have beaten Scotstown numerous times down the years but for missed goal chances, penalties, huge leads thrown away... unfortunately that's a common theme with Ballybay.

HB245 (Monaghan) - Posts: 74 - 24/10/2019 11:33:46    2245415

Link

Replying To FootblockREF:  "Hadn't won a club championship since 2014. No final since 2016. No semi final in 2017, beaten by Ballybay easily in last years semi final when you called them a "poor Clontibret team" - that was a year ago! Needed Blayney to throw a game to survive Senior last year. Last Owen Ward Cup 2011. The dogs on the street know that Scotstown were already analysing Cross. Were Clontibret doing that? No! They were totally focused on last Sunday as they should have been. Scotstown paying the price for arrogance and hubris."
Well given McEntee is the Clontibret manager, I suspect he has some homework done on Cross!

Sure Clontibret were poor last year, but it was McEntee's first year in charge, and like many new managers it took a while to get his plan in place and get the team as he wanted, hence the poor year last year but huge improvement this year. It's the same group of players, they weren't a team who should have been fighting relegation last year, and this year is a more accurate representation of them. It's very strange how you're still pushing this narrative of Scotstown focusing on Cross as some sort of excuse, while the fact is they were just well beat by a better team last weekend.

Your reeling off of years is gas - who cares about the history of the Owen Ward Cup when it comes to championship?! And Clontibret's last championship was in 2014 - does this mean Scotstown would have overlooked Ballybay even moreso, given that it's even longer since they won it?

patk (Monaghan) - Posts: 849 - 24/10/2019 11:33:59    2245416

Link

Replying To Adler:  "Clontibret almost got relegated last season. I doubt there were alot people around the county predicting them to end Scotstown's hunt for five in-a-row. Ballybay were the obvious team to do it and but for the fact they couldn't put the ball in the net they would have easily beaten Clontibret a few weeks back, buts that's sport for ya. Ballybay have probably left at least 3 C'ships behind them in recent times."
But the fact is they didn't, Ballybay lost as they couldn't close it out, just as they haven't been able to close it out against this Scotstown team. They've been talked about as the big threat to Scotstown, but for whatever reason they just don't seem to have it in them to win those big games.

For all the stuff being said about Clontibret over recent years and them not being a threat, they beat Scotstown in 2 county finals since Ballybay last won a county title.

patk (Monaghan) - Posts: 849 - 24/10/2019 11:37:07    2245418

Link

Replying To HB245:  "The fact that you brought up an Owen Ward Cup tells me all I need to know! They have historically never cared one bit about winning a league medal. Didn't they finish dead last in the league in 2010 and would have been relegated had they not won the Championship? Just a couple of weeks ago they weren't even bothered fielding a team for a league semi final!
Yes they hadn't made a final since 2014, yes they had been poor last year, but we are talking about THIS year! And if you had seen any of them this year, you'd know how ridiculous you sound!
Also, Scotstown had watched the Armagh Championship before they played Ballybay, didn't have a problem beating them."
I saw them against Carrick, they were no more than average. I saw them against Ballybay,they were no more than average. Against Latton, who barely survived this season, and Clontibret were hanging on at the end. Face the facts, they had one good day on the day it mattered the most. You can point to this years final all you like but I'll be pointing at the result on Sunday week when they play a team who are actually focused on the day and not some future event.

FootblockREF (Monaghan) - Posts: 428 - 24/10/2019 12:45:32    2245432

Link

Replying To patk:  "Well given McEntee is the Clontibret manager, I suspect he has some homework done on Cross!

Sure Clontibret were poor last year, but it was McEntee's first year in charge, and like many new managers it took a while to get his plan in place and get the team as he wanted, hence the poor year last year but huge improvement this year. It's the same group of players, they weren't a team who should have been fighting relegation last year, and this year is a more accurate representation of them. It's very strange how you're still pushing this narrative of Scotstown focusing on Cross as some sort of excuse, while the fact is they were just well beat by a better team last weekend.

Your reeling off of years is gas - who cares about the history of the Owen Ward Cup when it comes to championship?! And Clontibret's last championship was in 2014 - does this mean Scotstown would have overlooked Ballybay even moreso, given that it's even longer since they won it?"
The one thing you cant accuse scotstown off is arrogance when it comes to football...…………………..

mick2007 (Monaghan) - Posts: 227 - 24/10/2019 12:54:59    2245437

Link

Replying To FootblockREF:  "I saw them against Carrick, they were no more than average. I saw them against Ballybay,they were no more than average. Against Latton, who barely survived this season, and Clontibret were hanging on at the end. Face the facts, they had one good day on the day it mattered the most. You can point to this years final all you like but I'll be pointing at the result on Sunday week when they play a team who are actually focused on the day and not some future event."
I could be wrong, but I don't think Clontibret will care about how they got to the final, so long as they got there. If they beat all these teams by playing average football (while missing county men in every game), then it doesn't say much for everyone else... "One good day" is incredibly disrespectful! That was the first time they had their full strength team, and look what happened. Scotstown had no injuries, nothing, no excuses. The best team all year won.
Also, you'll be pointing to the game against Cross on Sunday week?! So if Clontibret lose to the team that's favourites to win Ulster, that will justify your entire argument?! Laughable.

HB245 (Monaghan) - Posts: 74 - 24/10/2019 13:18:50    2245449

Link

Replying To FootblockREF:  "I saw them against Carrick, they were no more than average. I saw them against Ballybay,they were no more than average. Against Latton, who barely survived this season, and Clontibret were hanging on at the end. Face the facts, they had one good day on the day it mattered the most. You can point to this years final all you like but I'll be pointing at the result on Sunday week when they play a team who are actually focused on the day and not some future event."
Ha, so your grand prediction of the county final fell completely flat, so now you're just making excuses for that, and now doing the same for the next Ulster game? Hilarious.

Clontibret were well ahead of Latton in their game, the only reason Latton even got back into it was because Clontibret got a man sent off and eased off. The game against Carrick was the first day out - you said yourself that the early games mean little because of the safety net, and that semis and finals is where the real stuff matters and they separate the wheat from the chaff. Are you going to move the goalposts again because it doesn't make Scotstown look better this time? Vinny went off injured early against Ballybay so they had to switch things up there. But guess what, they won these games so this is all irrelevant. They beat Ballybay and Scotstown in the semi and final - when it matters - the two teams who are supposedly head and shoulders above everyone else in the county. How does that happen eh?

Clontibret won 4/4 in the championship and won the final handy enough. I seen a tweet that they're the first Monaghan champions to win th the title without conceding a goal since Blayney in 2003. Your suggestion that they just had "one good day' is absolutely ridiculous. What does it matter if they won each game by 1 pt or 20, fact is they won them.

There's a good bit of youth in the team, but there still a ton of county medals floating around that squad, plenty for those lads know what it takes to step up to the plate on county final day. You'd swear they fluked the championship if you just followed your posts.

patk (Monaghan) - Posts: 849 - 24/10/2019 13:27:32    2245454

Link

Correction to my previous post - obviously it was Latton in the semi and not Ballybay( I hate that you can't edit posts here). My point still stands about the Carrick game in the first round.

patk (Monaghan) - Posts: 849 - 24/10/2019 13:29:46    2245456

Link

Well done to clontibret on their win. Fully deserved and merited.
They have a good mixture of youth and experience with an excellent game plan that scotstown couldn't match.
Tiredness caught scotstown in the end especially their county players who are on the go since early 2018 without a break plus the ballybay games.

I think cross will easily account for clontibret though?
Any thoughts on this game

222 (UK) - Posts: 513 - 24/10/2019 17:42:39    2245539

Link

Replying To lorcano:  "Alot of unfair comments posted re Clontibret and Scotstown . I believe both clubs have nothing but the greatest of respect for each other both on and off the field. The only people being disrespectful to both clubs are those keyboard warriors who obviously have little knowledge of senior club scene in Monaghan. As the saying goes "if you walk like a duck and talk like a duck your most likely a duck" Quack Quack"
those keyboard warriors who obviously have little knowledge of senior club scene in Monaghan. As the saying goes "if you walk like a duck and talk like a duck your most likely a duck" Quack

Says a keyboard warrior...QUACK,QUACK.

seamusorinn (USA) - Posts: 85 - 25/10/2019 01:43:50    2245617

Link

Ballybay beat Carrick to win the Owen Ward Cup yesterday. Very refreshing to be at a Ballybay game where the other team have regrets over missed goal chances!

FootblockREF (Monaghan) - Posts: 428 - 27/10/2019 11:12:47    2246069

Link

Replying To FootblockREF:  "Ballybay beat Carrick to win the Owen Ward Cup yesterday. Very refreshing to be at a Ballybay game where the other team have regrets over missed goal chances!"
Ballybay were lucky as we missed 5 goal scoring chances. In fairness to ballybay more less every one of their scores were awesome. Carrick will rue all the missed points and goals throughout the winter.

muckla (UK) - Posts: 320 - 27/10/2019 13:11:42    2246099

Link

Replying To FootblockREF:  "Ballybay beat Carrick to win the Owen Ward Cup yesterday. Very refreshing to be at a Ballybay game where the other team have regrets over missed goal chances!"
Is this the same ballybay team that threw away a s 7/8 point lead against carrick and just about held on for the win , after bein comfortable for most of the game

mickduffy2009 (Monaghan) - Posts: 181 - 27/10/2019 14:19:17    2246108

Link

Replying To muckla:  "Ballybay were lucky as we missed 5 goal scoring chances. In fairness to ballybay more less every one of their scores were awesome. Carrick will rue all the missed points and goals throughout the winter."
Agreed. Some of the shooting in first half was very poor and Carrick totally dominated the first 10 of 2nd half yet went further point behind. They had goal chances in that period that have to go down as bad misses. Just want to pay tribute to Jinxy who was excellent throughout. O'Hanlon was good and his pace is frightening. We have to get him more involved at county level. Didn't start after the Cavan game where he seemed to be the scapegoat for several other players poor performances.

FootblockREF (Monaghan) - Posts: 428 - 27/10/2019 15:45:33    2246120

Link

Delighted to see former Magheracloone and County man Shane Duffy win a Senior Championship medal with Ratoath in Meath to add to the Mick Duffy! Nice to see Monaghan folk influencing the game outside the County.

GerryD (Monaghan) - Posts: 318 - 29/10/2019 20:59:54    2246531

Link

Replying To FootblockREF:  "Agreed. Some of the shooting in first half was very poor and Carrick totally dominated the first 10 of 2nd half yet went further point behind. They had goal chances in that period that have to go down as bad misses. Just want to pay tribute to Jinxy who was excellent throughout. O'Hanlon was good and his pace is frightening. We have to get him more involved at county level. Didn't start after the Cavan game where he seemed to be the scapegoat for several other players poor performances."
Had we allowed our team to actually play football against Ballybay in the first half we wudnt have had an uphill battle in the second half.Yet again another managerial decision that cost the players dearly.

cmxu (Monaghan) - Posts: 23 - 30/10/2019 19:33:57    2246659

Link

Replying To cmxu:  "Had we allowed our team to actually play football against Ballybay in the first half we wudnt have had an uphill battle in the second half.Yet again another managerial decision that cost the players dearly."
Carrick made plenty of headway up the pitch but were just unable to hit the target.

monman246 (Monaghan) - Posts: 43 - 30/10/2019 22:14:04    2246684

Link

Replying To monman246:  "Carrick made plenty of headway up the pitch but were just unable to hit the target."
I agree, Carrick tactics worked well - if they went man for man they would have been hammered. Their problem was missing 5 goals and 7 or 8 points.

muckla (UK) - Posts: 320 - 31/10/2019 13:06:50    2246783

Link

Replying To GerryD:  "Delighted to see former Magheracloone and County man Shane Duffy win a Senior Championship medal with Ratoath in Meath to add to the Mick Duffy! Nice to see Monaghan folk influencing the game outside the County."
Great to see Shane win another championship I reckon he might have also won an intermediate championship with Magheracloone in the early 2000s and one with his current club Ratoath in Meath in 2015. can someone correct me on this?

muckla (UK) - Posts: 320 - 31/10/2019 13:16:37    2246788

Link