Mayo Forum

Potential New Team Leaders

(Oldest Posts First)

Taking a look at Dublin's team this year- they are backboned by the 2011 minor team and 2014 U21 all Ireland team (9 players).

Mayos 2011 - 2017 team came from our 2006 U21 team

Question for Mayo is can we get the same from our 2013/2014 minor and 2015/2016 U21 teams:
So far the only candidates from 2013 are
Michael Hall (Breaffy), Stephen Coen (Hollymount/Carramore),), Diarmuid O'Connor (Ballintubber); Conor Loftus (Crossmolina),

The candidates from 2014 are:
Eoin O'Donoghue, Cian Hanley, Sharoize Akram; Fionán Duffy, Brian Reape

The potentials from 2016 are
Fergal Boland and those listed above

Add in lads from 2015 are
Paddy Durcan, James Durcan and Adam Gallagher

That's 13 potentials of which Coen, O Connor, O Donoghue and Paddy Durcan have already stepped up and we're the leaders in Newbridge. If we can get 3-4 all star potentials from Loftus/Hall/Gallagher/Boland/Hanley/Reape/Duffy/Akram and we have a team to stay at the top

Take maybe 1 prodigy from this years U20's one of Ryan O Donaghue, Oisin Mcloughlin, Ross Egan
Add the big 4 from 2006 as impact players
SOS, CB, Boyler, Higgins, plus A Moran
We still have Keegan, COC, Parsons, AOS, Harrison, JDOC and KMcL.

The key for next year is getting the extra 3/4 from Loftus/Hall/Gallagher/Boland/Hanley/Reape/Duffy/Akram/J Durcan
Get 7/8 and we are challenging Dublin for a while yet.

If the new management are serious about winning they have to get these lads on a serious S&C programme and have them starting every league match to see if they have what it takes.

tirawleybaron (Mayo) - Posts: 671 - 04/09/2018 06:03:52    2139029

Link

The players that I would love to see make an impact and push the 26 outstanding players that we have would be.James Carr, James Kelly, Ryan O Donoghue, Matthew Ruane, Peter Naughton, Ciaran Treacy, Colm Moran , Conor Diskin, Fionn Mc Donagh, Seamus Cunniffe Shane Scott , Oisin Mc Laughlin, Pat Lambert, Paddy o Malley , Michael Schlingerman , Brian Mc Dermott, Sharoize Akram , James Mc Cormack, James Stretton, David Kenny, Ronan Finn, ,Evan o brien, Jack Coyne, Tommy Conroy Jordan Flynn, Matthew Mc Cormack, Justin Healy, Nathan Mc Gee, Eoghan Lavan , Jason Forkan, Liam Irwin , Brian Reape , Michael Plunkett

BigJmchalepark (Mayo) - Posts: 3 - 04/09/2018 19:47:38    2139236

Link

Jesus, you are going to take five of our lads away in Claremorris.

theenforcer (UK) - Posts: 127 - 04/09/2018 23:04:52    2139292

Link

Haha.Eddie Doran from Achill, Jack Reilly Charlestown Conor Byrne from Moy Davitts, John Gallagher Mayo Gaels are players that I would add to that list

BigJmchalepark (Mayo) - Posts: 3 - 19/09/2018 16:04:17    2142743

Link

Colm Boyle was what 24? when Horan drafted him into the team. Leaders can come from anywhere. Too much focus on the young next big thing.

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 9328 - 19/09/2018 21:41:29    2142806

Link

Replying To yew_tree:  "Colm Boyle was what 24? when Horan drafted him into the team. Leaders can come from anywhere. Too much focus on the young next big thing."
Boyle was one of the stand out players on the 2006 Mayo All Ireland U21 winning team he wasn't drafted into the team from nowhere like some seem to think plus his club form was very good when he made his return to the senior team under Horan. A lot of good young footballers named in this thread but I doubt any of them will turn out to be as good as Boyle was 2012 to 2017.

Yondu (UK) - Posts: 117 - 25/09/2018 17:18:34    2143785

Link

Boyle made championship debut in 2008, think it was sligo also with K Conroy and T Parsons..Boyle and Conroy got roasted against Galway in the Connacht final taken off at half time and Boyle wasnt really seen again till Horan came in.
Mayo fans needs to give new players time to get used to senior county football, too many minds made up after one or two performances. There is good players in the county that havent got a chance yet and when they do need to be left too it

tommy132 (Mayo) - Posts: 215 - 26/09/2018 03:31:11    2143857

Link

Ready to step up; Eddie Doran, Jack O Reilly, serious question marks about others.Brian Reape anothr contender.
There are serious question marks over many of the players I saw playing minor and under 20 this year. Its a long way to senior championship for many. Theres far too much talk in Mayo past and present about under age stars and the so called academies[?]. Unless they are doing it first at whatever level with their clubs,they should not be considered.
The guys I mentioned are starring for their clubs,week in week out over a long period.

Brinsley Swartz (Mayo) - Posts: 2200 - 26/09/2018 14:01:35    2143936

Link

I'd love to see some players step up in class and show they can perform at the highest level. However, those players are not in the County of Mayo. We had a great few years like the Irish soccer team, great support, great crack, lots of sympathy and all that guff but, we won zilch. The sooner some posters on here realise that, the better. Are we going into a period of hibernation in the next few years? No, because everyone else is in the same boat and football is the loser. Just look around at the club scene and see where clubs are headed? I'll make a bold prediction and say that an awful lot of clubs won't exist in a few years time, nor will their clubhouses, etc. People are moving away from the game, the villages, the towns, the comaradarie's going too unless there's a big drinking session involved. Has anyone ever really asked how many proper, 100% training sessions the Senior Mayo squad had together last season? Go on, just try and think about that one? I'm too embarrassed to tell you and it's not going to change. Sorry to say, it's all over and not just for Mayo football.

davittsman (Mayo) - Posts: 292 - 27/09/2018 09:53:03    2144067

Link

Replying To davittsman:  "I'd love to see some players step up in class and show they can perform at the highest level. However, those players are not in the County of Mayo. We had a great few years like the Irish soccer team, great support, great crack, lots of sympathy and all that guff but, we won zilch. The sooner some posters on here realise that, the better. Are we going into a period of hibernation in the next few years? No, because everyone else is in the same boat and football is the loser. Just look around at the club scene and see where clubs are headed? I'll make a bold prediction and say that an awful lot of clubs won't exist in a few years time, nor will their clubhouses, etc. People are moving away from the game, the villages, the towns, the comaradarie's going too unless there's a big drinking session involved. Has anyone ever really asked how many proper, 100% training sessions the Senior Mayo squad had together last season? Go on, just try and think about that one? I'm too embarrassed to tell you and it's not going to change. Sorry to say, it's all over and not just for Mayo football."
Things must be really bad in your club. Don't worry it's not the same across the board.

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 9328 - 27/09/2018 21:09:48    2144159

Link

I find myself agreeing with Davittsman more or less. The reality is that urbanisation is accelerating across the country with the greatest example obviously being Dublin whose economic position has been sucking the life out of the neighbouring counties for the last 15 -20 years. In a bid to stay relevant the GAA has followed the population movements and if the latest economic plans to counterbalance Dublin actually get traction there's only going to be one county west of the Shannon which will still be competitive in 20 years time, if not before, and it won't us or the Rossies. The GAA have shown that really meaningful investment will go to the population centres, and so even currently strong rural clubs are going to have a major struggle to survive. We do have one thing in our favour... the sheer size of the county which puts sizeable parts beyond the gravity of planned powerhouse Galway city. Mind you, even now there still seem to be a fair few young lads with Mayo parentage very prominent in the ranks of Galway's emerging talents, and this trend will unfortunately grow if Mayo is economically sidelined (which is what's being planned).

Pericles (Mayo) - Posts: 1811 - 28/09/2018 19:16:23    2144275

Link

Replying To Pericles:  "I find myself agreeing with Davittsman more or less. The reality is that urbanisation is accelerating across the country with the greatest example obviously being Dublin whose economic position has been sucking the life out of the neighbouring counties for the last 15 -20 years. In a bid to stay relevant the GAA has followed the population movements and if the latest economic plans to counterbalance Dublin actually get traction there's only going to be one county west of the Shannon which will still be competitive in 20 years time, if not before, and it won't us or the Rossies. The GAA have shown that really meaningful investment will go to the population centres, and so even currently strong rural clubs are going to have a major struggle to survive. We do have one thing in our favour... the sheer size of the county which puts sizeable parts beyond the gravity of planned powerhouse Galway city. Mind you, even now there still seem to be a fair few young lads with Mayo parentage very prominent in the ranks of Galway's emerging talents, and this trend will unfortunately grow if Mayo is economically sidelined (which is what's being planned)."
that's a very forboding statement to make and worrying

preddan (Kildare) - Posts: 329 - 28/09/2018 20:10:04    2144281

Link

Replying To preddan:  "that's a very forboding statement to make and worrying"
People have to follow the jobs Preddan and if these happen to be in Dublin or Galway or Athlone due to planned investment, then it's very unlikely that the next generation will be playing for someplace they don't identify with (ie. the parent's county). It's ironic that the same doesn't seem to always happen the other way around in Dublin's case, with the young son of a former Dubs player having grown up in Kildare, but playing his club football in Dublin and then for the Dubs minors (this was a recent enough thing).

The last census figures showed a drop for Mayo overall (one of only a couple of counties to experience this), but despite this the main towns in the county all increased population. If this trend continues then it's bound to have an impact on the rural clubs. The GAA's investment will follow and the clubs in and around Castlebar, Westport and Ballina particularly will strengthen (as Breaffy and Ballintubber have done already in the last 15 - 20 years). South Mayo will serve as a commuter region for Galway and this phenomenon, as we know, hasn't served the counties around Dublin too well, with life revolving around getting to and from work, and extra-curricular activities like coaching kids getting pushed to the margins.

Our southern neighbour already has half the population of the province and almost twice that of Mayo (this is proportionately the biggest difference ever recorded). The football talent pool of both counties has generally been similar down through the years, with the north/south divide between football and hurling counterbalancing Galway's larger population, but when Galway has triple the population and double the pick for all football teams we'll end up going from competitive to causing the occasional upset (like Roscommon currently do in relation to ourselves at senior level).

I know this all sounds very doom and gloom, but what we've seen in Leinster is the template and no one can argue that something more than a once in a hundred year convergence of talent is behind it. The leaders Mayo really needs are off the pitch. The plans will look after Galway, and even Roscommon (with Athlone) but that doesn't mean we can't look after ourselves.

Pericles (Mayo) - Posts: 1811 - 29/09/2018 11:10:34    2144314

Link

I get your point but I honestly think your painting the worst case scenario. Mayo will always have players willing to play....we are a football crazy county and every young lad dreams for playing for the county.

Galway has nearly double our population but a pathetic support and a blaze view on football bar a few hundred die hards in north Galway

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 9328 - 30/09/2018 08:40:51    2144385

Link

Replying To yew_tree:  "I get your point but I honestly think your painting the worst case scenario. Mayo will always have players willing to play....we are a football crazy county and every young lad dreams for playing for the county.

Galway has nearly double our population but a pathetic support and a blaze view on football bar a few hundred die hards in north Galway"
Absolutely agree with you Yew when you say we'll always produce talent and Galway are next to Cork in terms of the fickle relationship they have with their footballers. Mayo went through its worst patch in the 70's and being football mad (Mayo always has been) didn't make up for other deficiencies. I strongly believe that if the current Mayo panel were all Mayo based they'd have managed to get that extra 1% out of themselves needed to get over the line. Only being able to run at full throttle for 10 -12 weeks has limited development and had the team toying with disaster in a bid to match the Dubs and Kerry in the closing stages. But that circle can only be squared if good jobs enable the players to balance their commitment with their career - there's only so much sacrifice a player can make without professionalism. Going forward economically the one for everyone in the audience approach is a thing of the past, and where once upon a time plans could be relied on to be messed up, watered down etc, this has also changed (easy money will demand it), and Mayo is peripheral to these plans. To be fair to the GAA in this context, they don't run the country and have to adapt to remain relevant. They do this in Dublin on the ground and the fact that this investment has manifested at county level is almost unavoidable. In Dublin too most people are fickle enough when it comes to the county team and we're even starting to see fans not bothering with certain games a la Kerry, because they don't want to go to an expensively staged training session.

I hope I'm being pessimistic about our long term place... we're not going to fall off a cliff, but we need to be wary. Ask the people in Meath about late reactions and where these can leave your county, and Meath has experienced this despite rapid population growth. We need to keep our club championship healthy.

Pericles (Mayo) - Posts: 1811 - 30/09/2018 11:11:10    2144399

Link

Replying To Pericles:  "Absolutely agree with you Yew when you say we'll always produce talent and Galway are next to Cork in terms of the fickle relationship they have with their footballers. Mayo went through its worst patch in the 70's and being football mad (Mayo always has been) didn't make up for other deficiencies. I strongly believe that if the current Mayo panel were all Mayo based they'd have managed to get that extra 1% out of themselves needed to get over the line. Only being able to run at full throttle for 10 -12 weeks has limited development and had the team toying with disaster in a bid to match the Dubs and Kerry in the closing stages. But that circle can only be squared if good jobs enable the players to balance their commitment with their career - there's only so much sacrifice a player can make without professionalism. Going forward economically the one for everyone in the audience approach is a thing of the past, and where once upon a time plans could be relied on to be messed up, watered down etc, this has also changed (easy money will demand it), and Mayo is peripheral to these plans. To be fair to the GAA in this context, they don't run the country and have to adapt to remain relevant. They do this in Dublin on the ground and the fact that this investment has manifested at county level is almost unavoidable. In Dublin too most people are fickle enough when it comes to the county team and we're even starting to see fans not bothering with certain games a la Kerry, because they don't want to go to an expensively staged training session.

I hope I'm being pessimistic about our long term place... we're not going to fall off a cliff, but we need to be wary. Ask the people in Meath about late reactions and where these can leave your county, and Meath has experienced this despite rapid population growth. We need to keep our club championship healthy."
i agree with you about galway football fans fickle at the moment i remember
i was at the all ireland in 19 83 there was such a crowd in croke park that day
the hill was over crowed with dubs and the canal end was over crowded with galway fans
it was a wet windy day i was in the canal end it was so packed i could.nt even get up the back
stairs there was a huge surge and i could hardly breath it was after that game that the gaa
decided to redevelop the croke park that we now have today and to limit the amount of spectators
there was a huge galway support there that day the same in 1998 when we beat kildare. dublin
on the saturday night before and the final was absoutly thronged with galway supporters
id say there was as many people there that could not get a ticket as like when i went to the hurling
finals in 1980 .2017 ect the point being i seen galway win 4 hurling and 2 football and im not that old
kerry and dublin won loads of football cork hurling so when you win a few all irelands you don.t get
over excited anymore if mayo won a few all irelands ye be the same i rember when ye played roscommon
in connacht final 20 11 ye were out numbered 3 to 1 in the cowd and one final thing connacht rugbyis planning a huge push
in mayo in the near future like they did in galway i can see mayo losing a lot of young talent to rugby you
can see all ready with ballina westport will be next

gboy (Galway) - Posts: 9 - 11/10/2018 00:27:43    2146016

Link

Replying To davittsman:  "I'd love to see some players step up in class and show they can perform at the highest level. However, those players are not in the County of Mayo. We had a great few years like the Irish soccer team, great support, great crack, lots of sympathy and all that guff but, we won zilch. The sooner some posters on here realise that, the better. Are we going into a period of hibernation in the next few years? No, because everyone else is in the same boat and football is the loser. Just look around at the club scene and see where clubs are headed? I'll make a bold prediction and say that an awful lot of clubs won't exist in a few years time, nor will their clubhouses, etc. People are moving away from the game, the villages, the towns, the comaradarie's going too unless there's a big drinking session involved. Has anyone ever really asked how many proper, 100% training sessions the Senior Mayo squad had together last season? Go on, just try and think about that one? I'm too embarrassed to tell you and it's not going to change. Sorry to say, it's all over and not just for Mayo football."
Davitts may have had a bad year but I promise you this is not in every club. I know plenty of clubs that had no real impact on this years club championship that still had 20-30 lads out every night. Country teams and town teams. Teams willing to travel to the midlands for mid week training. And already back in the gym preparing to do it all again next year. Glass is more than half full. Club football is still strong in Mayo!!

Kingofthehill100 (Mayo) - Posts: 21 - 12/10/2018 15:04:02    2146239

Link

Replying To Kingofthehill100:  "Davitts may have had a bad year but I promise you this is not in every club. I know plenty of clubs that had no real impact on this years club championship that still had 20-30 lads out every night. Country teams and town teams. Teams willing to travel to the midlands for mid week training. And already back in the gym preparing to do it all again next year. Glass is more than half full. Club football is still strong in Mayo!!"
Glad to inform you i'm not part of the Davitt's club you mention. Maybe I should have added Moy to my name.

davittsman (Mayo) - Posts: 292 - 12/10/2018 18:00:27    2146266

Link