Galway Forum

New Players To Add To Galway Hurling Panel 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

We need to get out in force next weekend in support of the team. Could get the lads over the line . We need another game or two prior championship.

thecut (Galway) - Posts: 289 - 10/03/2019 20:05:19    2171488

Link

Big game next week against Wexford and if we get over that, then semi final against Waterford/Clare so it's definitely a tough couple of games and we will have to be at our best to hopefully get back to a League Final against Tipperary!

katser (Galway) - Posts: 301 - 10/03/2019 21:14:05    2171510

Link

Will it be a double header with the football in pearse stadium or will the football be moved to tuam?

Cornetto2 (Galway) - Posts: 114 - 10/03/2019 22:50:28    2171534

Link

Replying To festinog:  "Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

Gaillimh go deo!"
Win, you get Tipp, with a toss for venue. Lose, you get Wexford in Salthill. Besht goal we ever let in! It's the NHL ko stages, not the NFL playoffs. Plus ca change, plus ca meme chose indeed!

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - Posts: 2167 - 11/03/2019 10:17:15    2171568

Link

I know there was a storm blowing and people may argue it got worse in the second half but there is no way Galway should be losing a game after being 10 points up at half time. I thought the puckouts and support play were pretty awful in the second half even though Waterford tackled like demons and often in bunches. Yes as it worked out (on paper at least) we may have a slightly easier game against Wexford next weekend but that game is certainly not a gimme as Wexford are usually flying it at this time of year and as the cliche goes Davy has them chomping at the bit. The new players are not really impressing although Grealish had his best outing to date in a Galway jersey. There was a big difference in the strength and conditioning of the Waterford players versus our younger players like Concannon, Loftus and Linnane when he came on. I think Jarlath Mannion and Kevin Cooney may have offered a bit more in the forwards than Concannon and Glennon in the second half but obviously that is a management decision. I think we still need the old guard including Tuohy and Coen (both as midfield options IMO) and Joseph Cooney if he returns from Oz. Our best half backline is without doubt Mannion at right half back, McInerney at centre-back and Harte at left half back. I would also try Fintan Burke at left corner back (perhaps switching with Harte as required) with Paul Killeen at right corner back either side of Daithi. The Thomas's lads should provide 4 - 5 members to the overall panel.

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2178 - 11/03/2019 10:50:28    2171577

Link

Although Micheal Donoghue said afterwards he was happy with the effort of his players and was proud of them but the reality was we scored 2 points in the second half. Waterford beat us with a late goal but they were ahead of us all over the field and should not have needed a late goal. We are missing the St Thomas lads and Daithi but the new players in were bullied around and I don't see any of them at the level. Personally it was great to see the 4 Turlough lads on the field but if I am truthful I said last week Sean Linnane should be out the field more but he was completely lost I am afraid and Sean Loftus lovely hurler but physically beaten. Hussey and Ronan did well again. Did Sean Bleahen or Davy Glennon offer anything along with Jason Flynn. Concannon other than the goal made by Joe did very little. On a positive Jack Grealish was one of our best. Are we slipping?
Finally afterwards Galway Bay interviewed Donoghue when asked about Johnny Coen he did not answer the question. Why? The rift is obvious. For sure he should sort it out.... is he a manager.

fireball88 (Galway) - Posts: 23 - 12/03/2019 11:41:13    2171836

Link

Replying To PopeFrancis19:  "Its not a good move, its a gesture towards thinking outside the box; indicative of a sinking ship management team, who are clutching at straws with respect to reinvention."
A first post suggesting a sinking ship - not a great start :-(

Spudsareboilin (Galway) - Posts: 21 - 12/03/2019 16:10:22    2171888

Link

Replying To fireball88:  "Although Micheal Donoghue said afterwards he was happy with the effort of his players and was proud of them but the reality was we scored 2 points in the second half. Waterford beat us with a late goal but they were ahead of us all over the field and should not have needed a late goal. We are missing the St Thomas lads and Daithi but the new players in were bullied around and I don't see any of them at the level. Personally it was great to see the 4 Turlough lads on the field but if I am truthful I said last week Sean Linnane should be out the field more but he was completely lost I am afraid and Sean Loftus lovely hurler but physically beaten. Hussey and Ronan did well again. Did Sean Bleahen or Davy Glennon offer anything along with Jason Flynn. Concannon other than the goal made by Joe did very little. On a positive Jack Grealish was one of our best. Are we slipping?
Finally afterwards Galway Bay interviewed Donoghue when asked about Johnny Coen he did not answer the question. Why? The rift is obvious. For sure he should sort it out.... is he a manager."
Looks like it will be the same old 15 again this year then, bar maybe a change in goalkeeper, will our outfield 14 be pretty much the same 14 players that started in 2017, 2018 and 2019???

gilly1910 (Galway) - Posts: 9 - 12/03/2019 16:49:26    2171893

Link

Replying To gilly1910:  "Looks like it will be the same old 15 again this year then, bar maybe a change in goalkeeper, will our outfield 14 be pretty much the same 14 players that started in 2017, 2018 and 2019???"
He will play Fintan Burke even though he is untested at senior inter county level. Joseph Cooney is not coming home so he will be forced into someone coming in there and that most likely will be Concannon with Niall Burke also coming in as Mannion is going to midfield. He will leave Johnny Coen out in the cold which is bad management.

fireball88 (Galway) - Posts: 23 - 12/03/2019 17:40:29    2171905

Link

Replying To fireball88:  "He will play Fintan Burke even though he is untested at senior inter county level. Joseph Cooney is not coming home so he will be forced into someone coming in there and that most likely will be Concannon with Niall Burke also coming in as Mannion is going to midfield. He will leave Johnny Coen out in the cold which is bad management."
What's happened with Johnny Coen

AL0502 (Galway) - Posts: 35 - 12/03/2019 19:09:36    2171920

Link

He brought in Concannon last year without any experience in the league, so I'd imagine he'll be bringing in F burke without too much hassle, interesting also that he's trying Harte in the corner, hopefully we can win at the weekend so Fintan could get a run out.

Very worrying re Johnny Coen, I think Cathal Mannion is better in the forwards. Don't think Loftus is anwhere near ready.

Galwayspur (Offaly) - Posts: 87 - 13/03/2019 10:19:02    2171998

Link

Cant see the team announced starting. How is Hussey dropped for young Morrissey, he couldn't make the Galway u21 team last year also Thomas Monaghan is getting his fair share of chances... politics alive and well (baffled over Hussey decision). Heading in here not convinced to say the least. Johnny Coen needed also in these conditions but more rubbish going on there.

fireball88 (Galway) - Posts: 23 - 16/03/2019 12:53:37    2172584

Link

Replying To fireball88:  "Cant see the team announced starting. How is Hussey dropped for young Morrissey, he couldn't make the Galway u21 team last year also Thomas Monaghan is getting his fair share of chances... politics alive and well (baffled over Hussey decision). Heading in here not convinced to say the least. Johnny Coen needed also in these conditions but more rubbish going on there."
Stories about Johnny Coen were muck. He was injured last week. And Morrissey did his knee playing for Sarsfields and missed most of the U21 campaign until he was fit again when he was brought straight back into the fold. Educate yourself before you go spouting rubbish. And Hussey played very well when he came on at half time.

SamandLiamSoon (Galway) - Posts: 286 - 16/03/2019 18:09:42    2172684

Link

Nothing like a Joe show! What a hurler. Poetry in motion. Semi will be some game. Deise looking good

thecut (Galway) - Posts: 289 - 16/03/2019 18:19:54    2172690

Link

the title of this thread was NEW PLAYERS TO ADD... having seen a couple of games now who do people think could actually do a job in a leinster final or all ireland semi??

hussey looked good today and loftus in patches but cant say many other new players-the main men still driving things

maybe we can pick up one or two fromst thomas'(new players that is)

squares_edge (Galway) - Posts: 474 - 16/03/2019 21:11:38    2172792

Link

P.Mannion and A.Harte injury doubts for Semi Final (they would be big loss) I think we will need closest Championship starting 15 for this as Waterford are flying it this year

katser (Galway) - Posts: 301 - 18/03/2019 09:46:11    2173327

Link

Replying To katser:  "P.Mannion and A.Harte injury doubts for Semi Final (they would be big loss) I think we will need closest Championship starting 15 for this as Waterford are flying it this year"
I think Waterford's appetite for this game is in a better place than Galway's right now. For that reason, I'd expect Waterford to win. Is neutral venue KK half-way between Waterford & Galway, I wonder?

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - Posts: 2167 - 18/03/2019 12:32:41    2173372

Link

Replying To Pope_Benedict:  "I think Waterford's appetite for this game is in a better place than Galway's right now. For that reason, I'd expect Waterford to win. Is neutral venue KK half-way between Waterford & Galway, I wonder?"
Strange Neutral venue that's for sure!! It will be a tough match for Galway but it's a challenge I think Galway are capable of overcoming, D.Burke hopefully will play and shore up that full back line!

katser (Galway) - Posts: 301 - 18/03/2019 19:16:51    2173486

Link

Replying To Pope_Benedict:  "I think Waterford's appetite for this game is in a better place than Galway's right now. For that reason, I'd expect Waterford to win. Is neutral venue KK half-way between Waterford & Galway, I wonder?"
I agree, they will want it more, the reward for a win, a final against Limerick, is it something we want.

I thought Hussey was excellent on Saturday, could have done better for their 3rd goal but he just presumed the other guys were going to come for it.

Can't see Daithi back on Sunday.

New players to add,

Grealish has done well, Hussey, Loftus is improving, better weather will suit him but he needs to get stuck in a bit more.

Concannon gave his best performance yet in a Galway shirt, hopefully he can continue in that vein.

Davy, offers something different.

Galwayspur (Offaly) - Posts: 87 - 19/03/2019 10:15:01    2173617

Link