Clare Forum

Clare Senior Hurling Championship

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I am currently travelling in remote parts and finding it hard to keep up with what is happening. It looks like the league has unearthed some good prospects. However, I have a few questions regarding some more experienced players.

Has Conor McGrath actually retired, been dropped or just taking time out? Whatever the reason for his absence, there is certainly a lot of competition for his former place now. And what is the story with David Reidy? He has always accounted well of himself and should be close to a starting place come championship if fit. And when is O Donnell returning? Morey also must be due an appearance soon. or is he injured?

Also, are Paul Flanagan and Cathal McInerney fit but just not getting a look in? Any answers much appreciated.

MiAmigaVERONICA (Clare) - Posts: 262 - 08/03/2019 17:28:44    2171118

Link

As things stand it all points to a great game in the Gaelic Grounds in the Summer. It's a great rivalry and Iv been congratulated by many Clare people since winning the All Ireland. There's always a few bad eggs. You can ignore them in both counties.
As things stand Limerick have more high quality players than Clare. And Clare people have agreed with that. However Clare's first 15 is good but the backs aren't great. I don't think you'd swap any of Clare's backs for Limericks at the moment. Here's my joint team.
Quaid
Finn Casey English
Byrne's Hannon Morrisey
Lynch Galvin
Hegarty Hayes Kelly
Gillane Conlon Mulcahy.

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1243 - 08/03/2019 18:33:37    2171128

Link

Replying To bloodyban:  "As things stand it all points to a great game in the Gaelic Grounds in the Summer. It's a great rivalry and Iv been congratulated by many Clare people since winning the All Ireland. There's always a few bad eggs. You can ignore them in both counties.
As things stand Limerick have more high quality players than Clare. And Clare people have agreed with that. However Clare's first 15 is good but the backs aren't great. I don't think you'd swap any of Clare's backs for Limericks at the moment. Here's my joint team.
Quaid
Finn Casey English
Byrne's Hannon Morrisey
Lynch Galvin
Hegarty Hayes Kelly
Gillane Conlon Mulcahy."
No Shane O Donnell or Peter Duggan? I would have Jack Brown in that team aswel, if your going by last years championship.

Dec82 (Clare) - Posts: 217 - 08/03/2019 23:51:12    2171182

Link

Replying To MiAmigaVERONICA:  "I am currently travelling in remote parts and finding it hard to keep up with what is happening. It looks like the league has unearthed some good prospects. However, I have a few questions regarding some more experienced players.

Has Conor McGrath actually retired, been dropped or just taking time out? Whatever the reason for his absence, there is certainly a lot of competition for his former place now. And what is the story with David Reidy? He has always accounted well of himself and should be close to a starting place come championship if fit. And when is O Donnell returning? Morey also must be due an appearance soon. or is he injured?

Also, are Paul Flanagan and Cathal McInerney fit but just not getting a look in? Any answers much appreciated."
I heard Conor McGrath was taking the winter off due to work but is meant to be coming back.
Shane O Donnell is back end of march.
David Reidy is doing a masters so opted out for winter, hes playing soccer for newmarket at the moment.
Morey isnt long back from travelling, he was on the bench the last day.
Paul Flanagan was injured the last i heard and I'm not sure about Cathal Mac.

The league has been good, hopefully we get Galway in a quarter final.

Dec82 (Clare) - Posts: 217 - 08/03/2019 23:59:48    2171185

Link

Replying To Dec82:  "No Shane O Donnell or Peter Duggan? I would have Jack Brown in that team aswel, if your going by last years championship."
I would definitely have Duggan in and probably sod aswell. Two outstanding hurlers. I think Browne is a fabulous corner back but not as much hurling as English so 8 think Richie just shades it. How Browne wasn't nominated for an all star was very strange.

daveboy (Limerick) - Posts: 474 - 09/03/2019 08:45:28    2171199

Link

Replying To Dec82:  "I heard Conor McGrath was taking the winter off due to work but is meant to be coming back.
Shane O Donnell is back end of march.
David Reidy is doing a masters so opted out for winter, hes playing soccer for newmarket at the moment.
Morey isnt long back from travelling, he was on the bench the last day.
Paul Flanagan was injured the last i heard and I'm not sure about Cathal Mac.

The league has been good, hopefully we get Galway in a quarter final."
Thanks, Dec! Much appreciated :)

MiAmigaVERONICA (Clare) - Posts: 262 - 09/03/2019 12:35:28    2171231

Link

Yeah I'd definitely have Shane O Donnell in instead of Mulcahy. SODs a great player. Duggan maybe...toss up between him and Hayes ..

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1243 - 10/03/2019 18:57:39    2171468

Link

Replying To bloodyban:  "Yeah I'd definitely have Shane O Donnell in instead of Mulcahy. SODs a great player. Duggan maybe...toss up between him and Hayes .."
Going on their performances over the past five or six years I would go with Shane, however last year Mulcahy was probably the most influential player Limerick had. Very hard to pick one above the other.

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2394 - 10/03/2019 21:12:21    2171509

Link

Kyle Hayes is super hurler, Id have him in the Clare side all day long. Type of play we lack although Diarmuid Ryan is sowing well, but he probably best suited to halfbacks.

I hear Conor McGrath is gone for the year...taking time out. Is this true? His carer has really stalled which is a pity. He seemed to have got his form back in 2017 but last year he was very poor. I think he is only 28 so time still but its fast running out.

Trip to Walsh park now for the 1/4s, will be tough down there but at least its a trial run for the championship.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 1009 - 11/03/2019 15:18:36    2171667

Link

Conor McGrath lost form circa 2014 and never really got it back. On his day he was a lethal finisher. He was never great at passing and was greedy on the ball so when his finishing faltered there wasn't anything else to fall back on.. His lack of pace forced him to over carry to evade a tackle but he was blown alot for it in the end. Hes got many years ahead of him as very good club hurler.

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1243 - 13/03/2019 19:19:55    2172103

Link

Great to see omorey back. Will bring back needed pace. Harsh on hayes though. Overall hayes did well and is not the problem in a weak fullback line. Is hayes injured?

Sheedy (Galway) - Posts: 107 - 14/03/2019 22:34:52    2172300

Link

Clare's full back line did well last year, macinerney nominated for an all star and it was a joke Jack Browne wasn't. Clare's problem is that their half backs are not up to scratch n they cant find a balance in midfield or half forwards so the fullback line is constantly under pressure.

Davy probably felt the sweeper would help but then you lose a forward and Clare's best players are up the pitch so we have to play to our strengths which are to out score teams. The hurling last year and the scores we ran up were miles better than the stuff from 2014-2017.

Daithi Burke is the best full in Ireland but John Conlan scored 5 points of him in Croke Park because galway left too much room in front of him. As I said before, you could have Lohan, JJ and The Rock back there but if they get no protection they will struggle.

The key word for this Clare team and management is balance. Find the right balance and ix. Shane Golden and Diarmuid Ryan can add power, pace n hurling to the middle 8 so it could be the difference.

Clare for me still resemble a talented bunch of hurlers but not necessarily a proper team that can win the big prize, but they are close.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 1009 - 15/03/2019 09:43:38    2172336

Link

The galway full backline are rock solid overall. They have power and can clear ball under pressure like paudi maher of tipp. Our fullback line are the main reason we won in 2017 setting up many scores.

Ye have to have galvin back helping out when he would be needed futher up the field. The clare fullback line need to many passes to get out of trouble and are always under pressure giving away frees whereas we galway have the ball 70 yards down the field.

Sheedy (Galway) - Posts: 107 - 15/03/2019 10:13:58    2172346

Link

Replying To bloodyban:  "Conor McGrath lost form circa 2014 and never really got it back. On his day he was a lethal finisher. He was never great at passing and was greedy on the ball so when his finishing faltered there wasn't anything else to fall back on.. His lack of pace forced him to over carry to evade a tackle but he was blown alot for it in the end. Hes got many years ahead of him as very good club hurler."
I believe that he shipped a serious hip injury partially due to wear and tear from the sheer volume of underage games that he played. At his best, he was as good a scoring forward as anybody else in the country but I reckon the body is leaving him down and that he's struggling to get to match fitness. He is a genuine difference maker and to my mind is the single biggest factor why Clare have failed to reproduce the success of 2013. You don't get players like him routinely.

Dealer (Limerick) - Posts: 712 - 15/03/2019 11:35:25    2172363

Link

Replying To Sheedy:  "The galway full backline are rock solid overall. They have power and can clear ball under pressure like paudi maher of tipp. Our fullback line are the main reason we won in 2017 setting up many scores.

Ye have to have galvin back helping out when he would be needed futher up the field. The clare fullback line need to many passes to get out of trouble and are always under pressure giving away frees whereas we galway have the ball 70 yards down the field."
Yes Sheedy you are right, Galway have a excellent back 6. but no team hits the ball 70 yards down the field anymore, they play it out to half backs or midfield and off they go.

...Mannion n Harte come deep, get it off the full backs and then they play it up the field. Galway and Limerick are the best at coming out of defence to midfield and then hitting good ball into the forwards.

Few if any sides bang it up the pitch from the full back line anymore, even KK play a shorter game now, or mix it with a long game. If you are a corner back, you want long clearances from the other side as you have time to judge it. Its the killer balls across the pitch from the middle area that are so hard to defend.

Byrnes, Hannon, Moirrisey, Lynch and Donovan are sublime at this for Limerick. Ditto the Galway wing backs Burke and Coen. Gearoid Mac not so much, he is more of a stopper, but a great one at that and one tough man!

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 1009 - 15/03/2019 12:18:56    2172376

Link

Replying To Clareman:  "Yes Sheedy you are right, Galway have a excellent back 6. but no team hits the ball 70 yards down the field anymore, they play it out to half backs or midfield and off they go.

...Mannion n Harte come deep, get it off the full backs and then they play it up the field. Galway and Limerick are the best at coming out of defence to midfield and then hitting good ball into the forwards.

Few if any sides bang it up the pitch from the full back line anymore, even KK play a shorter game now, or mix it with a long game. If you are a corner back, you want long clearances from the other side as you have time to judge it. Its the killer balls across the pitch from the middle area that are so hard to defend.

Byrnes, Hannon, Moirrisey, Lynch and Donovan are sublime at this for Limerick. Ditto the Galway wing backs Burke and Coen. Gearoid Mac not so much, he is more of a stopper, but a great one at that and one tough man!"
McInerney was caught rotten last year by Morrissey as was the corner back by Casey. Both resulted in goals. I think Galway have a fantastic set of backs but they are capable of serious errors. And to top it off they dont pull guys down when running at goal. That's either a fault or a noble trait. If McInerney pulled down Morrissey last year ...then no goal.

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1243 - 15/03/2019 17:35:52    2172429

Link

I just thought hayes was doing well. He is alert and first to the ball most of the time. Morey is good too with his pace. Its just disappointing he got hayes place. Clare are a serious team from midfield onwards and still as good as the top teams but the fullbackline needs fixing.

Daly would be a good manager. He was great before with a aged team and he doesent like tippy tappy stuff. If the two lohans and Daly were the fullbackline in their prime clare would be unbeatable for some years.

Sheedy (Galway) - Posts: 107 - 15/03/2019 21:01:36    2172466

Link

Replying To Clareman:  "Clare's full back line did well last year, macinerney nominated for an all star and it was a joke Jack Browne wasn't. Clare's problem is that their half backs are not up to scratch n they cant find a balance in midfield or half forwards so the fullback line is constantly under pressure.

Davy probably felt the sweeper would help but then you lose a forward and Clare's best players are up the pitch so we have to play to our strengths which are to out score teams. The hurling last year and the scores we ran up were miles better than the stuff from 2014-2017.

Daithi Burke is the best full in Ireland but John Conlan scored 5 points of him in Croke Park because galway left too much room in front of him. As I said before, you could have Lohan, JJ and The Rock back there but if they get no protection they will struggle.

The key word for this Clare team and management is balance. Find the right balance and ix. Shane Golden and Diarmuid Ryan can add power, pace n hurling to the middle 8 so it could be the difference.

Clare for me still resemble a talented bunch of hurlers but not necessarily a proper team that can win the big prize, but they are close."
Excellent post looking from the outside in as i am. I'd agree with all that re Clare esp the fact they are close. I thinkClare's main issue is balance. In every line of the field Clare have potential all star hurlers. I think some of the issues from davys time there still remain. Clare when they are overly aggressive both on and off the pitch let themselves down. For me their best performances in years were against Galway last year when they just hurled when behind. I think they could be over coached. I could be wrong and clearly there is s huge emphasis on tactics. These lads know how to hurl so just let them hurl.

daveboy (Limerick) - Posts: 474 - 16/03/2019 09:22:03    2172516

Link

Some shambles of a performance today. Over playing the ball and the backs...Wow. How do they still keep fouling all the time...They are over coached into sticking close to their men. All the backs are playing horrible at the moment. Maybe they trained before the match today??

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1243 - 16/03/2019 17:00:33    2172646

Link

Replying To Sheedy:  "I just thought hayes was doing well. He is alert and first to the ball most of the time. Morey is good too with his pace. Its just disappointing he got hayes place. Clare are a serious team from midfield onwards and still as good as the top teams but the fullbackline needs fixing.

Daly would be a good manager. He was great before with a aged team and he doesent like tippy tappy stuff. If the two lohans and Daly were the fullbackline in their prime clare would be unbeatable for some years."
Funny that. Anthony was corner back in 93 and 94, though he played on both occasions, when Clare were hockeyed by Tipp and Limerick. His best hurling by far was delivered in later years at wing back.

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2394 - 16/03/2019 20:32:40    2172760

Link