Clare Forum

Clare Senior Hurling Championship

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Sheedy:  "Shane o morey should be playing either corner or wing back. Its hard to know whats going on. He is first to the ball and sets up lots of scores and a great link player with Tony kelly. Flannegan is also fairly handy. Hayes is a good find and well worth his place but others just too slow. Clare wont have a long summer with struggling backs, ye have good forwards but deasy and shanaher should be playing too."
Morey was off travelling, not long back. Shanagher only just back from hamstring injury. Flanagan was injured for awhile as well i think.

Dec82 (Clare) - Posts: 217 - 25/02/2019 00:15:29    2167799

Link

Was in Ennis yesterday Clare backs were nearly afraid to tackle with this fickle refereeing did Croak Park think hurling was getting too good after last Summer and informed referees to blow for every little thing they are making it into a game of women's hockey.

Wexford for 2/3 of game were woeful this awful SWEEPER that Davy loves only came into game when David Fitz was taken off and they appeared to abandon sweeper.

Theses lulls will kill us should have won easily been 13 points up John Conlon remains our main warrior others come in & out of it but John always delivers hope his leg is not too bad.

Touhy missed target with at least 5 puck outs other teams would murder you with that count Full back line were ok but real test next week V Limerick.

Half back line still unsettled why cant Cleary puck the ball instead of looking for a lay off all the time its tedious and depriving our Forwards of quick ball.
I am still not fully convinced by Shane Golden at midfield good and bad at times really lacked vision when Ian Galvin was inside him hope he does make it though.

Half forwards got some good scores but massive fade out all 3 were ineffective for last quarter.
Podge does his best work out the field but i really like Ian Galvin so accurate.

We are slow to use bench at times cant understand why Guilfoyle or Deasy or Malley diden't come in for tiring half forwards in last quarter.

Good to see Peter back in the zone with frees but still not fully in the groove from play.

When Tony K is buzzing we are beautiful to watch with overlaps the Barcelona of hurling but his fade outs happen a lot.

Expect a rip roaring contest next week we have to Win Limerick already through.
We need to make knockout stages of league would give game time to Oisin O Brien and other warming the bench good to have Shanagher back he will add punch to attack.

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 532 - 25/02/2019 09:29:06    2167850

Link

Its hard to take anything from that game, Wexford are shocking. The way they play suits Clare, our corner backs had acres of space to run into and deliver. Looking 4ward to seeing how the half back line and Shane Golden do against Limerick.

Management need to do something about concentration levels, making earlier substitutions might help.

Looking forward to next week.

Dec82 (Clare) - Posts: 217 - 25/02/2019 15:40:27    2168041

Link

Clare were in a groove for most of the game, concentration for the whole 70 minutes is certainly an issue, as are silly frees near midfield.
I agree the bench should be used earlier, use of the whole panel is going to be crucial in the c'ship series.
The Limerick game should be a cracker!!

LoughDerg (Clare) - Posts: 7 - 28/02/2019 15:35:46    2168912

Link

Replying To LoughDerg:  "Clare were in a groove for most of the game, concentration for the whole 70 minutes is certainly an issue, as are silly frees near midfield.
I agree the bench should be used earlier, use of the whole panel is going to be crucial in the c'ship series.
The Limerick game should be a cracker!!"
Dreadful day for hurling yesterday hopefully the point will do to get to quarter final spot fouls gain let us down this spare hand as exemplified by Rory Hayes hand in back at end gave Limerick a point don't we ever learn anything as Donal O'Grady pointed out in game V Cork any good free taker will pot a simple free why not sheppard Forward Hayes is quick would have got him DAFT

WE are giving away too many soft frees and not converting the ones we get good to see Oisin O Brien back seems to be real man marker without giving away frees Golden had a good game good vision yesterday we need top performances every day from C Galvin T Kelly & Peter Duggan dosent happen enough though.

John Conlon so much off a loss for us N Deasy was only ok needs more matches though Shanagher used far too late

Davy McInerney was he injured sloppy for goal let Heharty through too soft.

Some play acting by one of the Clare backs ridicilious going to ground we dont want that in Hurling

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 532 - 04/03/2019 10:05:47    2170001

Link

Limerick really wanted to win that as there record against Clare in last few years is poor. Conditions suited them and they were the better side but still couldn't beat us. Come summer, with a dry pitch, it will be a totally different game.

Gillane uses his power and size to bully opponents which is fine, but fair play to Borwne, didnt take a step back.

David Mac I hope is finally taken out of full back. He is too loose n makes too many errors. He needs to go wing back where we have serious issues.

Daid Fitz defo went down easy but lets forget Byrnes last summer. Nobody wants it in the game though. It was a good tough contest and well worth the 6 hour journey back to my house cos of the snow lol.

Shane Golden has been very good in this league, if we can sort out 3, 5 and 7, we have the firepower to win the big games.

All those positions cos us against Cork n Galway last year.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 1009 - 04/03/2019 11:41:53    2170047

Link

Replying To clooney:  "Dreadful day for hurling yesterday hopefully the point will do to get to quarter final spot fouls gain let us down this spare hand as exemplified by Rory Hayes hand in back at end gave Limerick a point don't we ever learn anything as Donal O'Grady pointed out in game V Cork any good free taker will pot a simple free why not sheppard Forward Hayes is quick would have got him DAFT

WE are giving away too many soft frees and not converting the ones we get good to see Oisin O Brien back seems to be real man marker without giving away frees Golden had a good game good vision yesterday we need top performances every day from C Galvin T Kelly & Peter Duggan dosent happen enough though.

John Conlon so much off a loss for us N Deasy was only ok needs more matches though Shanagher used far too late

Davy McInerney was he injured sloppy for goal let Heharty through too soft.

Some play acting by one of the Clare backs ridicilious going to ground we dont want that in Hurling"
Antony Daly (not for the first time) said Clare lost the 96 Munster Final to Limerick.No they did not, they lost the Semi Final. Limerick beat Tipp in a replay in Cork in the final. It was the only Munster Final Clare were not involved in form 92 to 2000

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2394 - 04/03/2019 11:50:13    2170052

Link

Replying To Oldtourman:  "Antony Daly (not for the first time) said Clare lost the 96 Munster Final to Limerick.No they did not, they lost the Semi Final. Limerick beat Tipp in a replay in Cork in the final. It was the only Munster Final Clare were not involved in form 92 to 2000"
Yeah you are right of course remember Anthony at finish of that game he was devestated great sporting occassion i really wanted to thump my brother in law {limerick man} coming out the gate he was so annoying I was glad to see a bit of spike in yesterdays game for years when both teams met is was like "dancing on ice"

I doubt very much that these players dislike each other its only a bit of tribalism.

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 532 - 04/03/2019 12:59:09    2170083

Link

exactly, well said Clooney

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 1009 - 04/03/2019 14:16:54    2170122

Link

I enjoyed that game, was very stop start but still entertaining. Can see someone getting sent off in June.

Hope to see some changes in half back line if we make quarters and see Oisín or PoC start full back. Very impressed with Golden, nice to see different lads doing well. I know he made a few mistakes but Cooney looks very lively and can score a point. Ian Galvin is waisted in full forward line. Is it just me or is Duggan getting alot more height in his frees.

If Conlon gets injured during championship, Clare are in serious trouble. He would of roasted that Limerick full back line yesterday.

Dec82 (Clare) - Posts: 217 - 04/03/2019 16:39:48    2170175

Link

Replying To Dec82:  "I enjoyed that game, was very stop start but still entertaining. Can see someone getting sent off in June.

Hope to see some changes in half back line if we make quarters and see Oisín or PoC start full back. Very impressed with Golden, nice to see different lads doing well. I know he made a few mistakes but Cooney looks very lively and can score a point. Ian Galvin is waisted in full forward line. Is it just me or is Duggan getting alot more height in his frees.

If Conlon gets injured during championship, Clare are in serious trouble. He would of roasted that Limerick full back line yesterday."
Dec
Both Sean Finn, who was also off for most of the game last year, and Mike Casey were off for most of the game yesterday. It also should be noted that the Clare starting full forward line yesterday were held scoreless by what was essentially a make shift Limerick full back line. Now John would be hard to handle if he was on yesterday but could surely be reasonably well contained if the real full line was on.

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2394 - 04/03/2019 21:37:53    2170262

Link

Replying To Oldtourman:  "Dec
Both Sean Finn, who was also off for most of the game last year, and Mike Casey were off for most of the game yesterday. It also should be noted that the Clare starting full forward line yesterday were held scoreless by what was essentially a make shift Limerick full back line. Now John would be hard to handle if he was on yesterday but could surely be reasonably well contained if the real full line was on."
Ian Galvin isnt a corner 4ward and Deasey isnt good enough at this level in my opinion so that makes 2 make shift lines.

If Conlon is fully fit he will score an average 5 points a game. Im not being petty, trying to have a pop at limerick, i just think hes unplayable in top form.

Dec82 (Clare) - Posts: 217 - 04/03/2019 22:07:33    2170269

Link

Replying To Dec82:  "I enjoyed that game, was very stop start but still entertaining. Can see someone getting sent off in June.

If Conlon gets injured during championship, Clare are in serious trouble. He would of roasted that Limerick full back line yesterday."
Pat O Connor did play full back previously and did ok
Oisin is a limited hurler but great man marker but would either have the heft required for Seamus Flanagan Johnnie Glynn Seamus Callinan Seamus Harnedy Conor McDonnell ect

We need a settled half back line if David McInerney could be switched out here would greatly improve things easier said than done

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 532 - 05/03/2019 09:27:36    2170323

Link

Replying To clooney:  "Pat O Connor did play full back previously and did ok
Oisin is a limited hurler but great man marker but would either have the heft required for Seamus Flanagan Johnnie Glynn Seamus Callinan Seamus Harnedy Conor McDonnell ect

We need a settled half back line if David McInerney could be switched out here would greatly improve things easier said than done"
Ya i agree with that, would like to see Oisin there myself the next day. Hes very sticky, no one will ever win an easy ball off of him. Seen him full back last summer for Clonlara and Shanagher didnt get a look in.

Over all its been a good league with Golden and Ryan coming through. Bar the tipp game we could of won every other game. With all the flaws in defence, were still not an easy team to beat.

Dec82 (Clare) - Posts: 217 - 05/03/2019 11:18:53    2170348

Link

Replying To Dec82:  "Ian Galvin isnt a corner 4ward and Deasey isnt good enough at this level in my opinion so that makes 2 make shift lines.

If Conlon is fully fit he will score an average 5 points a game. Im not being petty, trying to have a pop at limerick, i just think hes unplayable in top form."
Well Dec John was very good against LK last year but of course Mike Casey or Sean Finn were not playing and Condon got himself put off. However in the Munster Final after a great first half he was well beaten later by Spillane in the Munster Final and still Clare would probably have won but for Peter Duggans missing simple frees. In the AI Semi Final by contrast Gullane destroyed Spillane scoring seven points off him and being critised for failing to finish off two or three goaling opportunities.

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2394 - 05/03/2019 22:54:55    2170515

Link

Very simplistic version of the Munster final Oldtourman, to suit your own narrative. Clare got wiped out in midfield and half forwards in second half so no ball into Conlon bar 2 or 3 which he won a free and also set up a score for Podge so he was hardly well held by Spillane. Cork also dropped back a 7th defender. If they had done in the AI semi final, they could possibly be All Ireland Champions now. The way the game is gone now, if the FB line is exposed, it does not matter if you had Brian Lohan, The Rock and JJ back there, they will ship scores.

When Galway woke up and put the heat on Limerick, the backline cracked. It hasn't gone unnoticed across the land. Limerick are a fine team but they have issues there, the scorelines they coughed up last year would reflect that.

Gillane is a fine hurler but he tends to go to his left all the time and the tactic Limerick use to hit it cross field to him so he is on his left facing goal is the same Clare use for Conlon. Both teams will need to adapt for summer.

Peter Casey could be another option, fine hurler with 2 sides and lovely wrists.

Clare FF line should be SOD, Conlon n Shanagher but the latter's first touch hurling needs to improve to match his size, power n finishing ability. Clare need to leave more people near goal and stop worrying about crowding the middle. They need to move it faster into the danger zone.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 1009 - 06/03/2019 08:52:29    2170546

Link

Replying To Clareman:  "Very simplistic version of the Munster final Oldtourman, to suit your own narrative. Clare got wiped out in midfield and half forwards in second half so no ball into Conlon bar 2 or 3 which he won a free and also set up a score for Podge so he was hardly well held by Spillane. Cork also dropped back a 7th defender. If they had done in the AI semi final, they could possibly be All Ireland Champions now. The way the game is gone now, if the FB line is exposed, it does not matter if you had Brian Lohan, The Rock and JJ back there, they will ship scores.

When Galway woke up and put the heat on Limerick, the backline cracked. It hasn't gone unnoticed across the land. Limerick are a fine team but they have issues there, the scorelines they coughed up last year would reflect that.

Gillane is a fine hurler but he tends to go to his left all the time and the tactic Limerick use to hit it cross field to him so he is on his left facing goal is the same Clare use for Conlon. Both teams will need to adapt for summer.

Peter Casey could be another option, fine hurler with 2 sides and lovely wrists.

Clare FF line should be SOD, Conlon n Shanagher but the latter's first touch hurling needs to improve to match his size, power n finishing ability. Clare need to leave more people near goal and stop worrying about crowding the middle. They need to move it faster into the danger zone."
The back line 'cracked' because the full line had two players gone off and you accuse me of suiting my narrative. I might also add that Peter Casey was clearly fouled, in the lead up to Whelan's goal ( got when Ritchie English was clearly injured), which started the come back. This crap about Galway 'waking up' amuses me. So a team, many of whom had played in two, three or four finals did not bother 'to wake up', until seventy minutes of an All Ireland Final was gone. Remember many of these players had the expierience of playing in and losing finals before, something not a single player on the Limerick team had. This same team were eight points up above in their own pitch last March and they they beaten by two, a ten points turn over and only one goal in that, by this limerick side. I suppose they were all asleep there as well. What a silly excuse. The fact is in Limericks case they hit twenty wides and still won. They were a young team and when they saw the winning post, I would contend, they lost their focus just a little and this may contributed as much as anything to Galways comeback. As I have said before, any team that beat the previous years All Winners (twice, and runners up, the League Champions and runners-up and the reigning double Munster Champions are worthy All Ireland Champions. Limerick beats teams with an accumulated total of 101 All Ireland titles so I think that makes them worthy champions. You might say they got a few lucky breaks. So what, you make your luck. Still the admirers of Cork ( mind you as half a Corkman, i have heard very few of my father's countymen saying it)are still going about saying they were the better team in the All Ireland Semi Final. Any team that from the sixty third minute to the end of extra time scored ten points more that their opponents were the better team- end of story.

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2394 - 06/03/2019 11:14:20    2170579

Link

My God you are touchy, Limerick well able to throw it over the fence to Clare after 2013, but how dare we say anything back!

I was at the final last year, delighted Limerick won, the more non tradtional big 3 teams the better i say, but I am entitled to my opinion. I go to a lot of games with lads who are from Limerick, be it county, club, colleges, underage, and they also think Limericks weakest line is the FB line. Limerick coughed up big scores last year but were still able to win, thats a great place to be!

Its just an opinion Oldtourman, take a chill pill.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 1009 - 07/03/2019 08:40:04    2170766

Link

Replying To Clareman:  "Limerick really wanted to win that as there record against Clare in last few years is poor. Conditions suited them and they were the better side but still couldn't beat us. Come summer, with a dry pitch, it will be a totally different game.

Gillane uses his power and size to bully opponents which is fine, but fair play to Borwne, didnt take a step back.

David Mac I hope is finally taken out of full back. He is too loose n makes too many errors. He needs to go wing back where we have serious issues.

Daid Fitz defo went down easy but lets forget Byrnes last summer. Nobody wants it in the game though. It was a good tough contest and well worth the 6 hour journey back to my house cos of the snow lol.

Shane Golden has been very good in this league, if we can sort out 3, 5 and 7, we have the firepower to win the big games.

All those positions cos us against Cork n Galway last year."
Hi Clareman,

Just curious why the conditions would suit Limerick better. The dry summer last year seemed to suit us well. I would have thought the opposite, the better the conditions the more it suits Limerick as they move the ball from back to front through the lines more than most.
I would have thought the dry conditions would suit both teams with the style they play.

Fitzy01 (Limerick) - Posts: 176 - 07/03/2019 10:39:28    2170799

Link

Replying To Clareman:  "My God you are touchy, Limerick well able to throw it over the fence to Clare after 2013, but how dare we say anything back!

I was at the final last year, delighted Limerick won, the more non tradtional big 3 teams the better i say, but I am entitled to my opinion. I go to a lot of games with lads who are from Limerick, be it county, club, colleges, underage, and they also think Limericks weakest line is the FB line. Limerick coughed up big scores last year but were still able to win, thats a great place to be!

Its just an opinion Oldtourman, take a chill pill."
Fair points. However in relation to 2013 I was one of the LK man who ruthlessly chastised who used the 'oh Clare won a soft All Ireland', 'Sure they only beat one of the ''big three', 'sure if only had been more clever with the last line ball the first day' and several other nonsensical arguments to undermine what was a fine win for Clare. I was at the four finals Clare in modern and wholeheartedly supported, so is more goodwill between the Banner and Treaty that most people on here admit to.
In relation to those arguments that Galway were 'tired' I have just got tired of them. It really is high Galway addressed the fact that they themselves played somewhat below their potential last year. You were not the only one in that regard I was addressing and I think I made statements that needed to be made

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2394 - 07/03/2019 12:25:58    2170836

Link