Clare Forum

Clare Senior Hurling Championship

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

The Bridge again looking likely winners in Clare Clonlara unfortunate with holidays/injuries
Kilmaley could be dark Horses this year I thought that Inagh/Kilnamona would have showed better at first time off asking.

Peter Duggan gave master class in tight win over Wolfe Tones his two line balls oozed class he is so cool despite getting clipped class act

You can see what Tommy Walsh is saying about club hurlers all rushed into month only those teams with big panels will prevail due to injuries ect.

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 532 - 20/08/2018 11:47:19    2134682

Link

Looking at the upcoming fixtures below, my predicted winners would be; I/K, Clon, Clarecastle, Tulla. Kilmaley Bridge. Eire Og, Ballyea

Losers group
Newmarket-on-Fergus v Inagh-Kilnamona
Clonlara v Wolfe Tones
Clarecastle v St Joseph's Doora/Barefield
Whitegate v Tulla

Winners group
Kilmaley v Clooney-Quin
Crusheen v Sixmilebridge
O'Callaghan's Mills v Éire Óg
Cratloe v Ballyea.

Bridge definitely have the strongest panel & if clonlara sort themselves out im sure they will be in the top 2 with bridge.

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1855 - 20/08/2018 13:55:06    2134763

Link

Anyone see any of the games the weekend?.

I watched Clonlara v Tones. Entertaining game, Clonlara played some lovely hurling but only in 10 minute bursts, had some very poor wides aswel. They should have closed the game out being 6 or 7 up. Fairplay to the tones they battled hard and never gave up. They have a few tidy hurlers, Cian o Rourke looks a good prospect. Oisin O Brien is a serious defender, he didnt give Shanagher a sniff, the sooner he's back for Clare the better. And i have to mention John Conlon, came on for 2nd half and he was unplayable scored 1 -1 set up a point and won a free and only looked 70%.

Fancy Tones to beat the mills, will be a good year for them if they do.

Dec82 (Clare) - Posts: 217 - 27/08/2018 23:36:44    2136934

Link

Down to 8 now impossible to pick a winner yet Mills V Clooney obviously my interest Mills have a Clooney man at the helm they have surprised a few this year will be mighty hard to beat young team very athletic Jacob Loughnane good prospect.

Cratloe V bridge no love lost here Cratloe back on song this year will want to avenge last year

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 532 - 11/09/2018 15:23:28    2141034

Link

I still can't understand how cratloe lost yesterday after being 7 points up 2 mins into the second half.

Obviously not scoring for the last half an hour of play didnt help their cause i suppose.

There were far too many extremely soft frees given to ballyea though, any contact and the ref was all too happy to give deasy a point!!

then for the goal ballyea got, while it was a poor mistake o'leary took 14 steps by time he stuck the ball, a blatant free out!!

it was a day though where ballyea lesser players won the day. kelly was well marshalled by enda boyce. deasy was ineffective from play bar 1 or 2 moments. jack browne wasnt as influential as he had been in previous games.

The cratloe full forward line - mcinerney in particular was excellent in the first half but not near enough ball went to the inside line in the second half!

On paper, only maybe 3/4 ballyea players would make the cratloe 15. watching the first half cratloe worked so hard they looked very very hungry. but after those exertions and the fact that almost entirely the same team played in the football semi last weekend they just ran out of steam and faded badly.

Cratloe greatest strength as a club has been the fact that they are a top team in both codes. I would think in the top 10 dual clubs in ireland. but this strength is a great weakness when it leads to players being burned out like we saw yesterday..

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1855 - 22/10/2018 10:12:57    2147608

Link

In Ennis on Saturday and Athenry on Sunday,,,,Have to say Feakle have some team,,,, players no.4 ,6, 8, 11, 12, and 15 would make most county teams......

hoppingball (Galway) - Posts: 963 - 22/10/2018 15:23:08    2147709

Link

Replying To hurlingexpert:  "I still can't understand how cratloe lost yesterday after being 7 points up 2 mins into the second half.

Obviously not scoring for the last half an hour of play didnt help their cause i suppose.

There were far too many extremely soft frees given to ballyea though, any contact and the ref was all too happy to give deasy a point!!

then for the goal ballyea got, while it was a poor mistake o'leary took 14 steps by time he stuck the ball, a blatant free out!!

it was a day though where ballyea lesser players won the day. kelly was well marshalled by enda boyce. deasy was ineffective from play bar 1 or 2 moments. jack browne wasnt as influential as he had been in previous games.

The cratloe full forward line - mcinerney in particular was excellent in the first half but not near enough ball went to the inside line in the second half!

On paper, only maybe 3/4 ballyea players would make the cratloe 15. watching the first half cratloe worked so hard they looked very very hungry. but after those exertions and the fact that almost entirely the same team played in the football semi last weekend they just ran out of steam and faded badly.

Cratloe greatest strength as a club has been the fact that they are a top team in both codes. I would think in the top 10 dual clubs in ireland. but this strength is a great weakness when it leads to players being burned out like we saw yesterday.."
Yeah fair assessment I think Cratloe too many wides Jack Browne if he was getting a card it had to be a red

Value of a reliable free taker very much in evidence Cratloe missed handy frees Deasy dident but hard to begrudge the bally boys no manager no field a lot off the year SPIRIT carried the day

Not much new talent on view really

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 532 - 26/10/2018 09:53:54    2148356

Link

Replying To hoppingball:  "In Ennis on Saturday and Athenry on Sunday,,,,Have to say Feakle have some team,,,, players no.4 ,6, 8, 11, 12, and 15 would make most county teams......"
Hopping ball. YOUR LETTER WAS EXCELLENT. iWOULD ESPECAILLY RECOMMEND THATT OISIN DONNELAN,MC MAHON AND GUILOFYLE BE GIVEN A SHOT ON THE CLARE TEAM.ONE PERSON YOU FAILED TO MENTIO WAS THE MANAGER VAL DONNALAN WHO WORKED MIRACLE WITH HIS FEAKLE PANELAND PRODUCED A WELLTRAINED TEAM. I WAS THINKING WHAT ABOOST HE WOULD BE ON THE CLARE MANAGMET TEAM. APPOINT HIM,AND BRING ANTHONY DALY BACK FROM BUBLIN AS CO MANAGER, AND CLARE WOULD REALLY HAVE SOMETHING TO LOOK FORWARD TO NEXT YEAR!!!!!!!!!!! BRIAN BORU

brianboru (Clare) - Posts: 561 - 27/10/2018 20:47:15    2148450

Link

Poor start to the league, Kelly's sending off finished d game for Clare. Early days though

twbm (Clare) - Posts: 16 - 26/01/2019 21:21:55    2159780

Link

Disappointing night in Thurles Ref made no allowances for dreadful night fussy ref anyway not worried about loss but would have hoped to see some of the new members perform to higher level.

Some defensive work to do Davy Mac seems too restrained at FB

David Fitzgerrald will have to be found a spot in defence too good a hurler to have on bench would he have too much hurling for FB

Early days id say a lot more experienced hurlers will start against Kilkenny

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 532 - 28/01/2019 12:20:49    2160345

Link

Clare need a bustling centre foward ,,, Enda Noonan Feakle could fit the bill,,, well worth a shot,,,,,

hoppingball (Galway) - Posts: 963 - 28/01/2019 13:52:28    2160392

Link

Disappointing again in Cork on Saturday night what is it about Cork that we cant beat a poor enough Cork Team

Our discipline was simply shocking could have lost a man in first minute for a wile swipe pulling and dragging stupid stuff as Donal O Grady said on TV if you give Horgan a free he will score it lazy & stupid simple as.
Keith Hogan who is a very good keeper seemed to advance too far he wasen't helped by a defender getting caught wrong side of him hopefully he will get other opportunities.

We need a hurling centre back too to deliver crisp fast ball from the back

Peters frees and overall contribution was well below par you have to be like the Kilkenn lads when you make it to top you stay there. Free taking awful u12s would have got some of his misses.

Ultimately is was Postman John and the Galvins and of course Kelly on this display (how you would love if he was this consistent always) that carried the fight Hayes @ corner back after he settled down was ok but he has to lose this reckless part of his game.

Surely Malone has got enough chances his hurling is woeful David Fitz good powerful hurler but so many frees

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 532 - 18/02/2019 09:31:24    2166054

Link

Disappointing again in Cork on Saturday night what is it about Cork that we cant beat a poor enough Cork Team

Our discipline was simply shocking could have lost a man in first minute for a wile swipe pulling and dragging stupid stuff as Donal O Grady said on TV if you give Horgan a free he will score it lazy & stupid simple as.
Keith Hogan who is a very good keeper seemed to advance too far he wasen't helped by a defender getting caught wrong side of him hopefully he will get other opportunities.

Peters frees and overall contribution was well below par you have to be like the Kilkenn lads when you make it to top you stay there. Free taking awful u12s would have got some of his misses.

Ultimately is was Postman John and the Galvins and of course Kelly on this display (how you would love if he was this consistent always) that carried the fight Hayes @ corner back after he settled down was ok but he has to lose this reckless part of his game.

Surely Malone has got enough chances his hurling is woeful David Fitz good powerful hurler but so many frees

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 532 - 18/02/2019 09:31:29    2166055

Link

Replying To clooney:  "Disappointing again in Cork on Saturday night what is it about Cork that we cant beat a poor enough Cork Team

Surely Malone has got enough chances his hurling is woeful David Fitz good powerful hurler but so many frees"
I would have Malone on the team before Fitzgerald, Malone can keep a man quite and defend far better than fitz. Fitzgerald for his size is shocking at winning his own ball and he doesn't know how to tackle, hes not a defender.

I agree with you on Hayes, would like to oisin o brien get a few games aswel.

Dec82 (Clare) - Posts: 217 - 18/02/2019 12:26:16    2166104

Link

Replying To Dec82:  "I would have Malone on the team before Fitzgerald, Malone can keep a man quite and defend far better than fitz. Fitzgerald for his size is shocking at winning his own ball and he doesn't know how to tackle, hes not a defender.

I agree with you on Hayes, would like to oisin o brien get a few games aswel."
at the moment we are missing

Patrick O Connor
Seanha Morey
Jamie Shanahan
David Reidy ?
Aron Shanagher
Cathal Mcinerney

So all these are a loss in a tight enough panel

Oisin O Brien is definately someone that we need to see prior to injury he was a very tight defender maybe limited on hurling but dident give away a lot on frees every team that is successful have good settled backs so Clare has to find a balance. If Oisin O Brien was physically strong enough for full back it would release David Mac out to CB or I thought that Conor Cleary dident do too back at FB

WE need to win remaining matches in league to qualify now need further matches to see full panel

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 532 - 18/02/2019 13:24:10    2166124

Link

Replying To clooney:  "at the moment we are missing

Patrick O Connor
Seanha Morey
Jamie Shanahan
David Reidy ?
Aron Shanagher
Cathal Mcinerney

So all these are a loss in a tight enough panel

Oisin O Brien is definately someone that we need to see prior to injury he was a very tight defender maybe limited on hurling but dident give away a lot on frees every team that is successful have good settled backs so Clare has to find a balance. If Oisin O Brien was physically strong enough for full back it would release David Mac out to CB or I thought that Conor Cleary dident do too back at FB

WE need to win remaining matches in league to qualify now need further matches to see full panel"
I wouldn't be too worried about full back line if Dmac concentrates fully on defending, we have 2 solid corner backs aswel.

I think Cleary is turning out to be a solid centre back but your right his distribution is poor.

Clares problem is the 2 wing backs in my opinion, plenty of lads who can hurl but cant defend and then theres Malone who's the opposite. Why D. Ryan wasnt tried there for league is beyond me.

Your right tho making the semis would be good for getting the balance right and having lads finding some form.

Dec82 (Clare) - Posts: 217 - 19/02/2019 13:43:05    2166360

Link

Totally agree dec82. We badly short thre. Even last year, morey is fast, good hurler but too small, shanahan, another good hurler. Cleary is fine at 6 if he has 2 good fast stickmen beside him like Gearoid Mac for Galway. He doesnt have much hurling but he is strong, fast, holds the centre and has Mannion and Harte either side.

Id like to see Diarmuid Ryan and David McInerney at 5 and 7 and POC tried at 3.

All teams are shadow boxing, the real stuff starts in May.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 1009 - 20/02/2019 08:09:11    2166493

Link

Replying To Dec82:  "I wouldn't be too worried about full back line if Dmac concentrates fully on defending, we have 2 solid corner backs aswel.

I think Cleary is turning out to be a solid centre back but your right his distribution is poor.

Clares problem is the 2 wing backs in my opinion, plenty of lads who can hurl but cant defend and then theres Malone who's the opposite. Why D. Ryan wasnt tried there for league is beyond me.

Your right tho making the semis would be good for getting the balance right and having lads finding some form."
David McInerney hasn't concentrated on his fullback duties since forever. Take him out of fullback. He isn't a relation of one. He's a ball player and just not in the fullback mould. I'm disappointed they haven't tried someone else in there.

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1243 - 20/02/2019 13:22:27    2166550

Link

Replying To Clareman:  "Totally agree dec82. We badly short thre. Even last year, morey is fast, good hurler but too small, shanahan, another good hurler. Cleary is fine at 6 if he has 2 good fast stickmen beside him like Gearoid Mac for Galway. He doesnt have much hurling but he is strong, fast, holds the centre and has Mannion and Harte either side.

Id like to see Diarmuid Ryan and David McInerney at 5 and 7 and POC tried at 3.

All teams are shadow boxing, the real stuff starts in May."
Totally agree. Why hasn't Ryan been put at wing back and then McInerney on the other wing. I don't know if Pat O Connor is a fullback but by God abit of experimenting would find out. Get Oisin into one of the corners. You cant have two kamikaze corner backs on the one team like Hayes and Brown. One is the maximum.
Gearoid McInerney is a good stand up centre back. Ok he got caught rotten by Morrissey last year in the Final but he holds the centre. I think Cleary is more mobile than him. Cleary isn't the problem.

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1243 - 20/02/2019 13:27:43    2166552

Link

Shane o morey should be playing either corner or wing back. Its hard to know whats going on. He is first to the ball and sets up lots of scores and a great link player with Tony kelly. Flannegan is also fairly handy. Hayes is a good find and well worth his place but others just too slow. Clare wont have a long summer with struggling backs, ye have good forwards but deasy and shanaher should be playing too.

Sheedy (Galway) - Posts: 107 - 24/02/2019 20:42:22    2167690

Link